I'm a programmer, but have never done anything within the realm of game design. Is Unity any good...

I'm a programmer, but have never done anything within the realm of game design. Is Unity any good? Or is it a shitty engine for talentless hacks?

Other urls found in this thread:

download.unity3d.com/unity/licenses
gamedev.stackexchange.com/,
store.unity.com/
gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/147650/2d-platformerhow-to-avoid-bouncing-descend-when-walking-down-slopes
digitpress.com/library/books/book_art_of_computer_game_design.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Read a book or two on game design before you go ahead and choose an engine. You should probably start with something simpler, too, like LÖVE.

It lets talentless hacks make shitty games.
FWIW, some of my favorite games of the past two years were made with Unity, but they were also properly funded and staffed productions.

Engines are for loser script kiddies. Any good AAA game starts out with a GOOD language like C or ASM. No bloat, just you, and the game.

Define "loser".

you

You just replied to one. Any solodev who tries to write their engine from scratch is a nodev who will never actually release a game.

Wrong, if you aren't building up a game engine from assembly language, you'll only have a pile of shitty bloatware.

Any of the "popular" engines among indies can be stripped down as much as you want it to be. You can use Unity for literally nothing more than rendering and input and write the entire game from scratch in C#.

>you'll only have a pile of shitty bloatware.
AKA a "shippable game".

What are the best game design books?

yeah, and the unity engine that im barely using will cost me $75 a month for a licence. fuck that

The Art of Computer Game Design (the K&R of game design)
A Theory of Fun for Game Design
Game Feel

it's good

Except the license is free? You only need to pay if you're making over 100k per year, and lets be honest, you'll never be capable.

Poor research skills are not something a game developer can afford to have.

Unity is an excellent engine to not only start with, but to stick with. Easy to use, extremely capable and has amazing tutorials and documentation.

I make games to make money. Go big or go home. If im not making millions from my game like mr.minecraft-man, I may aswell kill mysellf. So when my game goes big, I don't want unity shelling me the fuck out for MY GAME THAT I MADE.

Is Unity Pro worth the $125 per month?

You're cancer.

>Implying that the capitalist unity engine isnt cancer already

consider using the FOSS godot engine for simple games if you dont want to be jewed by unity/unreal license. But overall you are probably better off learning stuff that is common, so unity is a good choice if you plan to work on indie games.

smart man. start in C. don't get fooled

>assembly language
>not in microcodes for your specific processor
You seriously want to waste so much time on the pipeline? You can get up to 5FPS increase if you do it right, which you SHOULD. Otherwise, you're not really a game developer.

This, FOSS is always the way to go

>FOSS
But is it permissive?

Also make sure to check out if you ever need help

Spending time in AGDG is probably bad for you as a dev.

>game design

No. The only thing this subscription does is remove the Unity logo and add some cloud features.

Wrong. Check the link for yourself.

True but idk where else on Sup Forums you could ask for game engine help

Is Godot more powerful than Unity Personal?

>where else on Sup Forums
That's your problem. You ask on gamedev.stackexchange.com/, not on Sup Forums; it fact, someone's probably already asked your question there, so you can just find an answer. You can show off your game and discuss high-level designy stuff in the recurring gamedev thread on which has a much healthier attitude.

>The Art of Computer Game Design
By Chris Crawford? That shit is ancient.

That comparison is outdated. As of Unity 5, Unity Free supports all core engine features, including all those features mentioned in the license comparison that you linked. LOD, HDR, Soft shadows, IK, video playback, light probes, light mapping, occlusion culling, deterred rendering, et cetera.
store.unity.com/

gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/147650/2d-platformerhow-to-avoid-bouncing-descend-when-walking-down-slopes

wow looks great

>Godot is completely free and open source under the very permissive MIT license. No strings attached, no royalties, nothing. Your game is yours, down to the last line of engine code.

It all makes sense now. Behold the best video game engine.

Use Unity if you like JS or C#. Go with UE4 if you like C++.
Both engines are very capable and can be used to make great games.

Wrong book.
digitpress.com/library/books/book_art_of_computer_game_design.pdf

UE4/UE3 are superior IMO.

Most AAA games are written in C++, and typically have 20+ third party libraries used for development. I won't say it's "bloated" necessarily, but it's definitely a pain in the ass to code around something like that.

OP, if you're doing gamedev, use whatever works for what you need. If it's a little 2D game then just write it yourself without a third party engine or framework. If it's a large-scale 3D project then use a bigger engine. If you try writing your own 3D engine you'll just be wasting time.

UE4 is better in my opinion purely based on the price. UE4 is free until you try to make a profit and then you give up a percentage of your profit.
This is a very friendly approach in my opinion.

Not if you actually achieve your dreams of making a lot of money. 5% is huge in that context, especially when it's on top of the cut Valve or any of the console manufacturers get.

>If it's a little 2D game then just write it yourself without a third party engine or framework
Why do you think GameMaker Studio gets recommended so much then? What about Love 2d?

>1984
>rated 3.8 on amazon
>only 5 people have rated it
Into the garbage it goes.

>Is Unity any good? Or is it a shitty engine for talentless hacks?
the fact that you have to ask if Unity is good means YOU ARE a talentless hack, so yes, you should be using Unity

I was under the impression unity takes a percentage aswell but it seems it doesn't.
Assuming you make $100,000 unity would take $1500 versus UE4 $5000.
As I have made two pretty cool 3d FPS games, I definitely think the power of UE4 is worth 5%. It does pretty much everything for you.
I have also built a couple of 2D games in XNA. Never used unity.
I have never published though.

>Or is it a shitty engine for talentless hacks?
That's exactly what it is. You can forget about gaymen development if you can't draw and you're trash at 3d/2d modelling and don't know your way around photoshop.

Because any game is 90% assets and only 10% of actual programming work. And since unity's free assets have been used to hell and back to dump useless indie trash into steam's greenlight, you'll either have to buy them for 19.99 per model or learn how to do all that shit yourself, fami.

If you're making a first person shooter, UE4 is better. That Engine is tailored for shooters more than anything.

If you're making a 3D game with cartoony graphics, Unity and Godot blow UE4 out of the water.

its a good engine for people learning game development due to its large community and how well everything is documented by that community

This is why I started learning Blender, but how necessary is sculpting for 3D gamedev these days?

Skimming it quickly, it looks like it might be an OK read. Bookmarked. Thanks, user.

Blender + Krita is very underrated.

OP is a programmer, I don't really see why GameMaker Studio would be recommended at all. Love2d is still good I guess, you can't 100% avoid abstraction but I'm just saying that a super high level engine isn't really necessary.

I started using Unity when I was 11 and became proficient in it by the time I was 12.

[spoiler]it's for talentless hacks[/spoiler]