How does Linux compare to Windoz when it comes to gaming?

How does Linux compare to Windoz when it comes to gaming?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE
wayland.freedesktop.org/xserver.html
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GNOME-Mutter-Mainline-EGLStream
devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/925605/linux/nvidia-364-12-release-vulkan-glvnd-drm-kms-and-eglstreams/post/5188874/#5188874
youtube.com/watch?v=WIGSuD0jtbg
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora_21_xwayland&num=2
omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/08/ubuntu-confirm-wayland-default-17-10
youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
peppercarrot.com/
blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve
davidgis.fr/blog/index.php?2017/05/17/1191-honey-select-on-linux-wine-28-gallium-nine
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If wine is all we have to run steam then linux can't compare to windows

I don't play that many games, but for the ones I tried it, Arch acts pretty much the same on my laptop. I play PAYDAY 2, Team Fortress 2, DotA 2, Shadow Warrior, Civ VI, The Darkest Dungeon.
As of Wine I only ever tried WoW 3.3.5a and 1.12.1 and no other games.

How ever, if you want a real gaming operating system, install TempleOS.

Wine doesn't work with Wayland
Steam doesn't work with Wayland
Nvidia doesn't support xwayland so no games

Steam supports wine and most of 2015-2017 games came out on Linux as well. I mean, at least the ones I played.

Pretty trash.

However I only play tf2 and csgo so it works well for me

wine==Linux*

Truth, Linux fags BTFO

Steam has a native Linux client.

This pasta may help:
Not him but the no games argument is not true anymore. Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

Some links:
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE

Wayland is not relevant

That pasta has expired

Wayland is taking over distro after distro

Why tho?

Wayland is taking over and doesn't work with games at the moment and wont do that for many years

>Wine doesn't work with Wayland
>Steam doesn't work with Wayland
X programs works with xwayland, sdl already has support for wayland directly. If you don't want to use wayland you can keep using X.
wayland.freedesktop.org/xserver.html

>Nvidia doesn't support xwayland so no games
Not sure completely about this one but gnome decided to support Nvidia's way to support wayland. Yes, nvidia supports wayland but they want to use EGLStreams instead of GBM.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GNOME-Mutter-Mainline-EGLStream

If you mean they include it as a novelty and so DEs can get anther checkbox, sure. They could rip it out tomorrow and nothing would break.

xwayland is slower than molasses

Nvidia no support for xwayland
devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/925605/linux/nvidia-364-12-release-vulkan-glvnd-drm-kms-and-eglstreams/post/5188874/#5188874

see Also your argument don't make sense, you can just use X even assuming that what you say were true.
youtube.com/watch?v=WIGSuD0jtbg

Counter Strike Global Offensive and Dota 2 have native Linux support with surprisingly good performance. I dont play much else so I dont mind

Where did these wayland fags come from all of a sudden? We were taking about gaining on Linux.

Ubuntu is going full wayland next LTS

>Temple
Nice meme

Honestly I'm probably gonna install it on one of the unused machines in my room just for shits and giggles.

There are games on Steam
There are console emulators
Wine works too

If gaming isn't the main purpose of your machine, you'll be fine

If you are serious about gayming, install windoz and go back to /v

Wayland is not nearly production ready for anything that isn't super basic. Also afaik GNOME is the only DE that actually has a almost fully implemented Wayland session. Games are fullscreen applications anyway and should be written against vulkan or opengl not x or wayland.

GNU+Linux does everything better than windows.
Unfortunately, do to the small desktop market share of GNU+Linux, everybody makes games for windows instead.

Just dual-boot if you have compatibility issues

>xwayland is slower than molasses
Care to give some proof on this? I haven't found a lot of benchmarks but it seems even back then the difference was already not htat big:
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora_21_xwayland&num=2
We can only expect to get better as adoption increases.

>Nvidia no support for xwayland
Sad to hear this, yet as i said if someone has problems with wayland they still can use X. If any is nividia who is holding wayland back, no wayland holding linux gaming back.

>Ubuntu is going full wayland next LTS
With the X session included by default:
omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/08/ubuntu-confirm-wayland-default-17-10
If any we should be glad the new infrastructure is gaining adoption instead of pretending that wayland will hurt linux gaming.

I get 30 extra fps on CSGO for Linux, so I count that as a win, I guess. I don't play other games.

almost as good as pc gaming in 1991, but then again, not really

There is steam for Linux but it's 32-bit only which can make setup a bit of a nuisance (you usually don't run things off architecture in Linux like you do in windows) still entirely possible though. The Linux library is quite large, most indie games support Linux and some big ones too, like all valve games, modern total wars, xcom, and serious Sam. Big AAA studios are still MS fucks though.

There is also wine which is good for old games. Wine had better 16bit support than win7+ and has good win32 com API support. It's good for mech2 or revolt or Diablo 2 or games from the 90s or early 2000s. There is also dosbox and bulk emulators if you want to play earlier games that that.

Then there are the open source games that are always shunned for being crap. Alot of them are kinda bad and incomplete but there are some that are really nice and innovative. Having said that, and open source Linux game will also run in windows (it's open source after all).

If you only play a few games and are willing to concede a few and don't play modern AAA games then Linux has so.e offerings for gaming, just don't expect it to be the same as on windows.

It's great. You get access to half the games, even more if you use WINE or KVM.

Blizzshit stop supporting even xp\vista but sc2\hs\diablo works brilliant [have some issues only with their blizshit app] with only few libs in wine
So wine is not too bad nowadays
With

How does being 32bit affect it? I literally "sudo apt install steam" and it worked immediately with no issues.

Holy fucking shit, video games are for plebes.

In all my computer science classes there are so many gamers and the majority of them are shit coders and not a single one knows networking.

people who use linux have different priorities than diddling away all day playing video games.

Not that guy but same in my case. Just installed steam and everything was automatic.

This is correct. other than playing video games I also watch cartoons and movies, as a Linux user.

>I also watch cartoons and movies
I as well, fellow linux user. but only the japanese varieties. and occasionally Rick and Morty. no vidya tho

nothing works:
games, photoshop, fake office, window managers, you name it. NOTHING WORKS ON LOONIX EXCEPT TIME WASTING. THAT WORKS 110%

Well, unlike a lot of years ago linux is very easy and normie friendly IMO, the big difference with windows is familiarity and that windows is an opt-out while linux is an opt-in. At least now who genuinely likes linux and want to play games there's a decent catalog with 3000+ games.

ive been using it for the last 4 years without any issues. I would actually say more works on here than windows (except for games, which i dont play) because if i need it to do anything extra I can get software straight from the repos.

I mean shit user, im using a laptop right now running a linux cloud on it. I guess i am technically using 4 different linux machines at the same time hypervised on another linux machine.
this shit is tits

Everything of that works for me (what is fake office ?). Some more pasta for you because you seem hungry:

Kicad
youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
Natron
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
Blender
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
Lightworks
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
Kdenlive
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
Unity3D
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
Opentoonz
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
Godot engine
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
BricsCAD VS Autocad
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
Bricscad
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
Freecad Demo
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
Freecad BIM
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
Freecad & 3D printing
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
Gimp 2.10 features
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
How to install photoshop on wine
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
Digikam
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
Pixar Film Production
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
Linux art 1
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
Linux art 2
peppercarrot.com/
Davinci Resolve
blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

Depends on distro, you have to add 32-bit libraries then when you apt-get install it has to install 32-bit dependencies as well and they can conflict with some 64-bit libraries sometimes. I'm on mint 18 and installing 32-bit mesa broke my graphics drivers, I had to reinstall them manually as apt and aptitude couldn't handle them anymore. 32-bit libraries Just cause trouble sometimes, it's been better if there was a native 64-bit install.

Guys who post like that are just baiting. Ignore them, they have no idea and are too dogmatic to learn.

And you spend 10 times more time on instaliing packages and dependencies than doing acual work.
Just face it, (Li)Unix is good for servers, networking and headless, no question about it.
For acual deskop commercial use its crap.

lunix can play warband

that's all i need XD

>And you spend 10 times more time on instaliing packages and dependencies than doing acual work.
I spend significantly less time downloading packages than I do downloading and installing programs one by one.

Weird. It worked fine on Ubuntu, KDE Neon and Zorin for me.

>what is fake office ?
don't play me the fool. microshit office is a fucking standard and libre shit and derivates are shit.
other than that, gimp sucks too, all other shitware that you linked does not exist in the real world. linux is goo only to clone windows partitions with gparted and to use as a backup system on usb drive or a tiny partition at the end of hdd. that's about it.

hope it will be something for the human beings out of it in the next 150years.

a loonix window fucking manager is not capable to remember last window size and position for fucks sake. fuck this shit.

Well, yeah. I didn't have problems with steam or wine but i get what you say. In my case i use Neon and it updates a few libs, mostly related to wayland and GL. They only update the 64-bit version because they don't officially support 32-bit, so in the repos the 32 and 64 bit version of those few libraries are different so they can't be installed together (you can only install the 32 or 64 bit version). Due to this the only program i haven't been able to install is PCSX2 which is 32-bit only. Yep, it's not terrible but it would be much better if steam were a 32-bit app.

Exactly, that's why i put that, because i just need to copy paste and that destroy them completely. Sad, but they don't make any effort to provide actual arguments then i'll not make more effort than copying and pasting.

>And you spend 10 times more time on instaliing packages and dependencies than doing acual work.
Hot opinion but my experience is different from what you describe. Sorry.

>For acual deskop commercial use its crap.
Why tho? i'm using it and its very good.

You clearly have no idea. Package managers handle all that. It's faster and easier to install a managed package from a repo than it is to download it and install through an MSI, especially if you have to keep opting out of ads and 'offers'.

>I spend significantly less time downloading packages than I do downloading and installing programs one by one.
?
You need program package and shitloads of dependencies.
And then something doesnt work or there is a conflict in dependencies.
Also you making it sound like you save time, because you download dependencies all at once for list of programs in except you never use all of them at once or even install them all at once.

Oh yeah, it can work fine too. Depends on your setup. Worked fine on my laptop and that was running NVIDIA drivers and bumblebee. But when it messes up it is annoying and I've become somewhat addicted to TF2 so if steam doesn't work I'll change distro.

Why would you use wine to run steam? Just run it without wine.

>"offers" and ads in buisness commercial software
maybe in your FOSS. When was the last time you installed normal commercial software instead of free crappy substitues?

>don't play me the fool.
Calm down dude, it does makes you upset that someone may prefer different software from you?

> microshit office is a fucking standard
Ok, they have a big lock-in, but it's not irreplaceable, thankfully

>and libre shit and derivates are shit.
Ok, it's your opinion. I don't agree but i respect it.

>other than that, gimp sucks too
Ok?

>all other shitware that you linked does not exist in the real world
It seems real to me.

> linux is goo only to clone windows partitions with gparted and to use as a backup system on usb drive or a tiny partition at the end of hdd. that's about it.
I have used it for a lot more things and other people too. The pasta proves it, sadly for you.

>hope it will be something for the human beings out of it in the next 150years.
Unless 2.5% of the total users of desktops and laptos, which is 1 of each 40, including people i've recommended linux too are not humans then my experience says you're wrong.

>a loonix window fucking manager is not capable to remember last window size and position for fucks sake.
Usually that depends on the program, if not that depends on the policy of the windows manager, even on windows. On linux for example, using kwin you can force it to remember per application. If any some of the windows managers on linux has a lot more of functionality than the windows one would dream to have.

>fuck this shit.
What's the purpose of this, just don't use something you don't like and you're good.

(you)
WPS is literally ALL you need for home use. And LibreOffice is more than enough. There's no "standard" in home office software. All the majority needs is Google office because nobody does anything but input basic text or only read documents and never make them, which immediately proves you wrong.
I don't even remember the last time I used any office software and I'm a programmer. PDF is what everyone uses because it's universal and it doesn't fuck up formating like docx does. Presentations are only done in schools and almost nowhere in real world (unless you're a lazy teacher). The actual number of people who need anything advanced in their office suite is 10x lower than the current Linux markershare.

Stream steam from your Windows PC over ethernet

>The current state of Sup Forums

your post solved 0 problems

what gaming hardware do I need to run old school runescape through OpenGL on Debian?

Well, what was the problem in the first place?

The dependencies are downloaded and installed automatically, even if you use the terminal.

GOAT performance if native, mixed if under WINE.
Doesn't have all titles for PC games, console emulation is godlike thou.

honey select runs davidgis.fr/blog/index.php?2017/05/17/1191-honey-select-on-linux-wine-28-gallium-nine

omg thanks so much for that image niggah.

Works pretty well, famalam.

playing games on linux is like trying to merge onto a highway with a prius. it works, but isn't optimal.

I don't know about that. I just finished playing Doom 2016 in Wine with everything on high settings. It worked very nicely. Didn't try Ultra because I didn't wanna abuse my poor 970.

yeah because running doom using vulkan is the same as running other games in dx9 or 11 in wine. most games don't have the option to use vulkan, not a good example of average linux gaming.. nice try though

honestly its great
you can run almost any shit on your pc unlike the windows compatibility mode which never worked when i tried it

>Wayland is taking over

>xwayland is slower than molasses
>talking out of my ass

amd ati

galliumnine

In the game 'hunt the virus', Windoz wins?

It's a java browser game. You need 2GB RAM and a CPU with integrated graphics. That's your minimum hardware.

For linux situation is better than some time ago, and it goes better and better.

But still windows is too superior for linux when it comes to gaming.

>console emulation is godlike thou
Why?

the dedication

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/LInux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

You don't call Android android/Linux, you also don't call it Linux.
You don't call macOS MacOS/XNU, you also don't call it XNU.
You don't call windows windows/nt, you also don't call it NT.
Therefore, it's not Linux, it's not GNU/Linux. It's just GNU.

Badly if you don't count GPU passthrough and wine, but it has EU4 and some other games, which is enough for me.

Steam is already on linux, it has even a lot of ported games.

Just wait one or two decades.

>wait a decade or two
Lel

Well, for starters, you didn't fix the fact that he's mad about getting double parked today. No blowjob either.
Console emulator developers on Linux get more access to how the kernel behaves than on Linux. Interface for original controllers are easier to program with less lag, and keyboard replacement of controllers is easier to design. It's closer to the steel, and it makes the game run more smoothly.
>t. I overheard a guy talking about this at a bar. He failed to impress the girl tho

>>t. I overheard a guy talking about this at a bar. He failed to impress the girl tho
seriously???

There was some kind of convention in town at Mandalay Bay. GSB, blue hat, I don't know, some hipster name that brought out all the fedoras, nerds, and programmers from every place that spoke English and some that don't. My Japanese is a little rusty because I took just one semester in college and got a D, but one Japanese guy was telling his friend about Cisco certs. It was weird, but Al/CK/ told me not to drink alone, so I got to hear some nerdy shit.

Very interesting, user.

There have been some improvements but it's still shit.

when will GPU passthrough be tard proof and with wide support? When that happens I'm ditching Windows forever

See that's the problem. A lot of people are willing to switch only when games on Linux work as good or close to what they do on Windows. But in order for that to happen there need to be a wider adaption of Linux as a platform. It's a catch 22.

>I'll ditch windows
>just so I can use windows
How retarded are you? That's not even solving the problem. Switch to Linux and get more userbase on it so companies make software that's native to it. Passthrough is already tard proof seeing how many tutorials there are, but not worth it when you have dual booting.

just dual boot

The honest no-meme answer is that many games for Windows will work on Linux through WINE (but not all, especially the newer ones) and many games on Steam also have native Linux versions, like the Half-Life series, Left4Dead, Portal, etc.

At the end of the day though, Windows is simply compatible with more games. So if literally all you care about are games, Windows is better.

Most Linux people who game will say that even though Linux doesn't have the same library of games available, it has enough, and the deficit is offset by the other benefits that Linux provides

I'd use Linux if it wasn't UNIX.
>tfw no free operating system with decent software compatibility that isn't UNIX

Excuse me. "I" would just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as GNU/Linux, is in fact, Wine/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Wine plus Linux. GNU/Linux is not a fully functional platform for playing games unto itself, but rather it requires Wine to play the vast library of Windows games.

Linux Is Not UniX
L I N U X

to those who have determined that since games don't produce meaningful work they are not useful on your platform but consider this: games are the most downloaded category on apple's app store. more games for a platform means people are enticed to using it, ESPECIALLY with exclusives. more people using a platform means more combing through code, finding bugs and fixing YOUR system for you. linux needs a bunch of first party exclusives supported with an online community ideally to generate any momentum

It's literally not UNIX. it's just inspired by UNIX.