/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

sourcemage.org/Init).
sourcemage.org/Spell/Book
sourcemage.org/
sourcemage.org/Install/Chroot
pastebin.com/i4DALaNV
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tux#Origins
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mouse_buttons#xvkbd_and_xbindkeys
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Install ZorinOS

ARCH ru137_

Copying my chromium profile from my backup location(which i was running it on while i was restoring data) no longer works.It presents this error message.I checked for any lock files in the profile, and there are none.However if i point via command line to my backup profile, it works as expected.How do i restore my profile? There are no zombie or background chromium processes.

Failed to create a ProcessSinzgleton for your profile directory. This means that running multiple instances would start multiple browser processes rather than opening a new window in the existing process. Aborting now to avoid profile corruption.

why the fuck is Devuan a 16gb iso ????... i dont have any big spare sticks

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Install GuixSD.

install Source Mage

don't they have netinstall?

>Devuan a 16gb iso

this

Install Linux

Wizards Assemble!

Advanced users of GNU/Linux (and I mean advanced), remember to try Source Mage GNU/Linux. True source-based distribution, and (in contrast with Gentoo and Arch) is:
Free from obfuscated and pre-configured code.
Fully committed to GPL, uses only free software (as in freedom) in their main package.
With even the documentation licensed as FDL.
Without 3rd party patches, sensible defaults or masked packages.
Doesn't need obfuscated python libraries, only bash.
No systemd (they've implemented their own init scripts system sourcemage.org/Init).
Uses clean dependencies as they came from upstream developers, which by the same provides instant updates.
Can heal broken installs.
Can also use flags.

Do you like Arch Linux's AUR? Do you like Gentoo's portage (or ports-like) package manager? With SMGL's "sorcery" you get all that. Making new spells (package build files) not found in the grimoire (repository of spells) is easy sourcemage.org/Spell/Book

Bash hackers welcome! Come and join sourcemage.org/

Installing SMGL is easy, here's the simplified process:
>boot a live Ubuntu (or whatever) USB drive
>go to SMGL website and download compressed archive of the base system
>partition and mount partition(s)
>extract the archive onto the new partition(s)
>chroot, set root passwd, hostname, configure network and locale, write fstab, install grub/lilo
>reboot
>compile a kernel (preferably the newest stable one from kernel.org)
>update sorcery, grimoires and the build toolchain
>rebuild the system (hold spells you've already built, so you don't build them twice)
The install guide will hold your hand through the whole process sourcemage.org/Install/Chroot
Do the chroot method, since the regular live ISO method guide is out of date currently.

Here's a list of common commands: pastebin.com/i4DALaNV

doing it right now. Found two bugs in the testing chroot image so far and am currently configuring the kernel

I don't know why but I like installing this distro, it may be easy but there is something about the virgin state and knowing what goes step by step is kinda soothing.

So what's the deal with systemd?

please stop turning these threads into a 200 post systemd flamewar

by "option", I meant, as I understood, a command switch/flag

There wouldn't be any flamewars if the people who disagreed with me realized how silly they are

this

i need a secure botnet free OS that can be live booted and used by someone with little Linux experience for my mom
what does Sup Forums recommend?

I wouldn't know. I'm on Void Linux

I'm shutting down this post

Parabola GNU/Linux

maybe puppy linux, never tried tho

good work user

gentoo
she doesn't have to be a linux expert to use gentoo
she can use the genkernel method instead of configuring the kernel herself

>learning linux
>can type whatis in terminal to learn about a command
>'whatis man' doesn't return a snarky quip about secrets

lame

I thought linux was supposed to be fun

where to get a windows7 image that install without a license?
I need to to run a vm

thepiratebay.se

What's a better cloud service than google drive for syncing your documents in real time?

I am also interested in this.

My mom's a macfag and is starting to hate apple after paying out the ass for apple care and having it expire on her. She's tech illiterate. Should I just give her kubuntu?

(checked)
Sorry I meant which version of window 7 installs without needing a license?

Microsoft 365, not even trolling

as long as you have the iso you can isntall windows7 wihtout a license

oh ok thanks.

>using botnet """cloud""" "services"

the one on your own server

I installed void just now to get away from systemd, bit of a bumpy install but I think I'm getting used to it. It's pretty good honestly.

when i use sed to remove the a's from "Hello aaaaaaaaa world", i have to use sed 's/a*//g'. without the g, nothing is done. why is that?

rsync.net
Tahoe-LAFS with any proprietary backend

g means "global", or something like that. It means "don't stop at the first match on a line" which is the default due to historical convention.

How to get ubuntu to recognize magnet links?

i understand. a* also matches the empty string, so it matches the start of the string unless i do aa* or g

open it with you torrent client

$ sed 's/a\+//'

Y'all niggaz should learn Perl.

$ perl -pe 's/a+//'

How did Tux ended up being the mascot for Linux?

Linus likes penguins.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tux#Origins

A peng saved Linux's life once and he vowed to name his first born after the peng. But he never had any children and he considered Linux to be the son he never had so he made peng the mascot

i cri evry tiem :'(

50gb should be enough for a windows 7 vm right?

What's a good program to use to customise mouse buttons, do i even need a program to this with xfce? My logitech mouse has 3 extra buttons on the side and the scroll wheel can be tilted for more clicks but right now they all do nothing. I was also wondering if I can maybe hold a button on the keyboard, then use the scroller on the mouse to simulate left mouse clicks so I can click really fast.

how old is this pic?
10 years?

>using a mouse

50gb won't even get you ms office lol

Someone explain to me why Ubuntu runs silky smooth out of the box and LITERALLY every other distro has massive screen tearing until I fuck with video configs for an hour?

Is Canonical that much better than the rest of the Linux desktop world or is a gtx 950 just a card nobody else cares to support?

one more smart comment like that and you will regret ever setting foot in this thread

FUCK YOU CANONICAL

>irrational anger
>deflected question
Debian detected.

Canonical puts in an effort to incorporate proprietary drivers.

beause you didn't install/configured properly your drivers except when noobungo did it for you

Go away shill.

>things working as they should is bad

No proprietary drivers are installed.

What sort of customization are you talking about? If you just want to map them to different mouse-type inputs (e.g. change which buttons act as middle-click, scroll wheel, etc..) then you can do that with xinput
Or are you talking about completely customizing their actions, like a mouse button to open your webbrowser or something, or a game macro, then you'd need to use the software that comes with your mouse which is most likely windows only

Why are you posting inane pictures?

Some distros expect the user to install their own software, that's a feature not a bug

show some respect
t. ubundu user

>install your own noveau drivers
What are you even talking about? Most distros do this for you. Apparently Ubuntu is the only one that bothers to do it correctly.

We got it, Ubuntu is the best.

If you can figure out which inputs the custom buttons correspond to you could also make mouse buttons do things like macros with xbindkeys probably

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mouse_buttons#xvkbd_and_xbindkeys

What did they do though? I need this magic so I can help other distros improve.

>installs distros for real men
>can't handle them
>installs beginner distro for babbies
>just works
>needs to tell everyone

how do I uninstall ubuntu from my computer?
i can't log in to windows, i think i got a virus on it. i restarted and all internet software are gone like chromium and firefox. my background also turned blue.

>can't answer a simply question about open source display drivers
>spergs out about his superior autism

>Most distros do this for you
No they don't, not even Debian that it's what ununtu is based on, some users don't even need a graphical interface, stop blaming the devs work for your own ignorance

lol

Solus actually looking good. too bad the installer is shit

>debian
>default installation
>doesn't include foss display drivers

I didn't said that

>we're pretending to be retarded now

mostly just assigning the buttons to things like resresh the page in my web browser, go to the next track in my media player and so on, assuming I can custom the shortcuts for each program I'm using at the time.

thanks

>Hey dude can I watch your stream for the fight? Acestream doesn't work on Linux.

>paying a hundred buckaroos to watch a black gentleman and a horrible potatonigger fight

Terry is irish you CIA nigger

Gentoo or Arch Linux for an inexperienced user?

Arch

>tfw everytime I see someone with a librebooted thinkpad
some day I'll learn how it works

noice

>can't properly configure his own drivers and it's config files
>calling anyone retarded

what font is this?

The edit is Open Sans Bold.