/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

my.mixtape.moe/vrofmv.ogg
my.mixtape.moe/wxuutb.ogg
my.mixtape.moe/dmlnrx.flac
my.mixtape.moe/ukltqt.ogg
my.mixtape.moe/yeleqd.m4a
my.mixtape.moe/jithfg.flac
my.mixtape.moe/gubtav.ogg
youtu.be/l404tUm1-xc
youtube.com/watch?v=I1wg1DNHbNU
my.mixtape.moe/jeauzi.ogg
my.mixtape.moe/acgqmi.ogg
my.mixtape.moe/nktquy.flac
my.mixtape.moe/tvmyiu.ogg
my.mixtape.moe/rusnyp.flac
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Reminder:

Thanks for reminding us that user has too much melanin.

Thanks for reminding us you're a poorfag in denial :^)

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

I already have the song in Hi-Res, bought from mora.
That mp3 is encoded from the Hi-Res flac.

HD600. 2 options:

1) Schiit Modi Multibit + Valhalla 2

2) Schiit Jotunheim w/ Balanced DAC

Basically the question is, go tubes SE or solid state balanced? I've seen multiple people say the Valhalla 2 is basically made for the HD600 and is one of the best pairings out there. I don't use other headphones, so I don't need the versatility of the Jotunheim but I am curious about balanced.

>Transcoding to mp3
>When OPUS exists.
user, don't make umi cry.

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

Pic + timestamp

Modi multibit + vali 2

Family photo.

You can use modi multibit as source for the jotunheim, user.
>balanced
Not sharing the ground makes some sort of sick sense in the output (amp -> headphones). The idea of a balanced DAC is fringe territory. AFAIK they're just using 2 DAC chips in mono instead of one in stereo to try and reduce crosstalk a little, as if it mattered at that point.

my.mixtape.moe/vrofmv.ogg
Happy now?

>General
>Complete name : vrofmv.ogg
>Format : Ogg
>File size : 6.45 MiB
>Duration : 4 min 45 s
>Overall bit rate : 190 kb/s
>Writing application : opusenc from opus-tools 0.1.10
>ENCODER_OPTIONS : --bitrate 192 --vbr
>Audio
>ID : 19171 (0x4AE3)
>Format : Opus
>Duration : 4 min 45 s
>Channel(s) : 2 channels
>Channel positions : Front: L R
>Sampling rate : 96.0 kHz
>Compression mode : Lossy
>Writing library : libopus 1.2.1
Pic related.

my.mixtape.moe/wxuutb.ogg

And, as an aside, great job somehow uploading my all-time favourite "muse" (actually umi solo) song.
My whole cast muse best is aa mujou.
my.mixtape.moe/dmlnrx.flac

is it still OK to spend retarded amounts of money on dynamic drivers? Or are planar magnetics / electrostatic just the way to go with higher-end headphones?

I might get a pair of pic related next year, i already hit my limit of $1000 spending on audiophool stuff this year

Friendly reminder that the DAC x6 is a great value

>planar
Enjoy your ringing.

Not all planars have ringing

my.mixtape.moe/ukltqt.ogg

pic tells us one thing
>it gets hot

That only happens on the 1060S

When you're spending assloads of money, it's better to try the equipment out before buying so you know what to expect.

Excellent.

I fell for these memes and I regret it.

pic and timestamp.

It actually doesn't, it's always cold to the touch. The dragonfly under the kitten does however get hot.

Same person? What are your complaints on these memes?

Talk to me about the oppo pm-3. Would you use it at home over a mid-fi open back? Is it really worth it?
Been shopping for something that's not only an upgrade from my open back headphones at home(dt990 eq'd tho) but that I can use on the bus and between classes. So that means closed back or IEM.
Up between that oppo pm-3 and shure se535

No I don't own a thinkpad anymore or a hd600.
is same person

Similarly shitty camera.

my.mixtape.moe/yeleqd.m4a

PM3s have no bass if you drive from your phone.

Jesus dude, at least turn on the lights to help a little that shitty camera.

I'd say the HD600 edges out the PM3 in overall tonality but the PM3 has some the best bass I've ever heard out of any headphone under a thousand bucks. The only better closed back is the Aeon, which is double the price. Biggest issue with the PM3 is that the cups are on the small side.
Not true in my experience.

It's a moto e lte I got for $12. My samsung gs4 melted while charging on the official charged for about 10 minutes.
No more OTG dragonfly for me :(

>electrostatic
No bass impact.
>planar
Ringing.
All planars have the ortho wall to some degree.

Better spend money on acoustic treatment for you room and get something like LSR305. Because headphones are for fun and hobby, speakers are for listening.

Not him.
Here you go babygirl

autism

Kek. Sennshills on suicide watch!

So why do you think you got memed?

?

Because they're too small for my head

What are you an ogre?

Too much clamp? Not enough adjustment? Ears don't fit in cups?

fuk.
I love my OnePlus3 (running my own build, not its shitty standard firmware). All relevant idol games (llsif, deresute, mirishita) solid 60fps on max gfx settings without even getting warm, battery lasts forever, charges fast, amoled screen is awesome, camera is among the better ones and, to top it all, HD600 sound great directly connected to it.
Too bad they had to fuck up big time with the OP5 and its silly inverted screen.

>skull size
wtf?
How long have you had them for now? Else, did you do any stretching?

What are you, a manlet?

They're too tight. They have gotten better with time.

I'm using Sennheisers and no one can stop me!

Actually, they've been the most comfortable headphones I've ever had. I'm debating updating, though, and getting a new set.

Save money for a couple of months and buy the HD800S

>ringing
That's not what you think it is.
In any case, the "ringing" shown is totally inaudible. It is an artifact of the Fourier transform.

Stop acting like an idiot. Useless generalizations based on drive principle are really stupid.
Look at the headphone case by case, and see whether its flaws are tolerable for you.

>aac
I'm being trolled :(
>flac
my.mixtape.moe/jithfg.flac

The graph I posted doesn't show the "ringing".

>Look at the headphone case by case, and see whether its flaws are tolerable for you.
I think you are asking a little too much of people who tested maybe three good headphones in their entire lifes and yet think to know how everything sounds based on measurements alone.

gomen gomen
my.mixtape.moe/gubtav.ogg

What i should to buy with 100$? I not audiophile, i just like a good bass for my EDM songs.

M40x or CB-1

post kino music

youtu.be/l404tUm1-xc

Or the MDR7506

>OPUS
Patrician taste in lossy codecs.

You mean like most of the Sennheiser shills that don't own the headphone? Like the ones who just splerged 300 burgers on a pair based on random autists suggestions and praise for it? The ones that misinterpret acoustic studies to fit their narrative and base a headphones sound quality around one of the easiest corrected aspects (frequency response) of objective performance?

M40x
Cb-1

>Anime
>Kino
youtube.com/watch?v=I1wg1DNHbNU

>You mean like most of the Sennheiser shills that don't own the headphone
There's a shitload of actual HD600 owners in /hpg/. They aren't necesarily shills.
>frequency response doesn't matter.
Go away.

For bass, not that one, user.

>Shitload of owners
>3
>One of which likes his akgs

Kek

>doesn't matter
Never said that. It's just one of the easiest things to fix.

1/2
my.mixtape.moe/jeauzi.ogg

lol this guy gets so mad when people like sennheisers or recommend them.

2/2
my.mixtape.moe/acgqmi.ogg

You should see all the Sennshills, when their headphone isn't recommended

>For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in yeah whatever

How does hpg feel about Sennheiser CX 300-II? They're $35 on Amazon. I feel like I want to step up from the cheap shit $8 ones I'm using, but I also don't wanna go crazy and spend hundreds on fucking earbuds. Are these pretty decent for the price?

Friendly reminder that if you suggest the memeheisers have poor build quality this happens.

How to improve /hpg/ in just a few clicks:

1. Click on the [Settings] link at the top or bottom of the page
2. Click on Filters & Post Hiding
3. Click the [Edit] link next to Filter and highlight specific threads/posts
4. Paste !WKOEehnYmc in to the box underneath pattern and tick the Hide box
5. Click Save, and then Save Settings

You now have a cancer free /hpg/ experience.

Friendly reminder that you ignore the build quality of hifiman

>Being this angry
Kek. Just how poorfag are you?

Are these any good? I was thinking about buying headphones a few years ago and people were talking about these in every Sup Forums headphone thread at the time, so got to assume they're pretty decent? I just remember them because I like how they look.

>Q701

I'm thinking about getting some headphones for listening to music with but equally as important if not a tad more is how they deal with films. For gaming people used to say if you want full immersion you've got to use headphones (are these good for gaming?) so I assume headphones can provide a really immersive film experience.

I guess you haven't been around long enough to see the shitshow hd600 owners (all 3 of them) and the shills start when their headphone isn't recommended or you mention the poor build quality. Dipolar is obnoxious, but sennheiser dickriders are another level of /hpg/ cancer.

Very good. Yoshino Nanjo (eli ayase in love live) newish fripSide is good.
Here's some classic NAO colorless fate goodness.
my.mixtape.moe/nktquy.flac

I need your help Sup Forums

I won't spend over 100$ .. Which one of these two is better?

Or is there a third alternative I haven't considered?

I'm already leaning towards the audio technica because it comes with some nice stuff like two cords one straight one curly.

Im just hoping that material on the ears is not that shitty crumbly kind because I absolutely hate that

They are arguably the best AKG at that price point, but kek, be prepared for those headband bumps

Q701s are pretty good, yeah. Also consider the HD579 at that price point. Better comfort but worse soundstage.

There's literally one (1) sennhater around.
And he wouldn't be a sennhater if he actually used HD600 for a week or two. Apparently he tried them on a shop, and they were too neutral for his mistreated ears.

Last song I post for today, a western gem.
my.mixtape.moe/tvmyiu.ogg

dude no one cares. the tripfag gives great purchase advice and has patrician music tastes (not weeb idol trash and anime intro music). I would rather see more of him than cringy sennheiser shills like OP and the amateur acoustics experts that prove how retarded they are every thread.

Open all the way

HD558 is also good for open, same level as the SHP. Status CB-1 for closed.

The awesome Luna 2011 version isn't bad at all.
my.mixtape.moe/rusnyp.flac
Good taste is good.

>Being this delusional
Do YOU own HD 600s, dear user?

That's not what I was going for.
Ringing artifacts are overwhelmingly dominated by both how time-frequency artifacts are managed and magnitude response. The general idea is that a CSD doesn't show anything you couldn't have seen in the so-called "frequency response".

>who tested maybe three good headphones in their entire lifes
It is fair to ask if you about money and time spent buying and returning/reselling a product you don't like.
It's simple enough to build some experience at discriminating your own taste, without needing to buy dozens of headphones.

there's more than one person who isn't a fan of sennheiser. For example owns the hd600s and likes all of his other headphones better.

He's listened to more headphones than you and didn't fall for the Sennheiser meme. Same as dipolar, and a few other anons who just don't like them because they have no bass and no treble as shown by countless measurements. I'm sorry that hurts your feelings.

Thanks guys, so I take it the band is notoriously uncomfortable then? Seems like it could be easily remedied with a little DIY. So if I'm spending these bucks, these are actually pretty top tier for the range?

That user's long been confirmed melanin-enriched basshead.

>tripcunt shows up
>HD600 shitposting starts

>Top-tier
Yes

>k701, k702, q701
Super exaggerated soundstage. Buy if you only care about soundstage. Else, get HD579 at similar price. Better balanced, more comfortable and durable.