Parents gave me this old acer aspire one laptop. I don't know anything about technology...

parents gave me this old acer aspire one laptop. I don't know anything about technology. Backed up everything and reset to factory. Still runs slow as shit. specs are
windows XP
intel atom N280
1 GB memory
160GB HDD

basically is there anything I can do with it that could be fun/educational or is this just pure junk? I already tried installing ubuntu months ago and it still ran slow as shit and I had multiple other problems.

its pure junk, but maybe a bsd with an 80s tier x11 window manager could be not very slow.

I installed fedora on my shit-top with ~512MB of RAM

not much you can really do with it besides play pre XP era games
i use my Thinkpad T42 for example to play Empire Earth and SWAT 3

Wow, did they pay for that? If they won't return it then threaten to run away and join an Amish community.

Use it as home server with centos/Ubuntu server

Install crunchbang++ or whatever it's called now and use as a torrent box.

You could do Debian with a light desktop such as LXDE, Enlightenment, or light-weight WM.

Or you could try the same but on those lean *BSD platforms, but I suppose BSD isn't for beginners.

Laptop isn't junk, but I wouldn't expect a luxurious and fully-featured experience. It might be really nifty for word-processing, older games, slow) web-browsing, maybe a file server or something. Maybe even light webbrowsing depending on the potency of that CPU.

This, or install some lightweight *buntu variant, Audacity and use it as recorder using the line in or fill the hdd with mp3 hook it up to your stereo.
I had a similar one and used it to record local shows from the mixing desk and/or DJ without worring if someone spilled beer on it

I'd suggest a puppy variant

>crunchbang++
what's that, an OS?

ya, crunchbang was a debian + openbox distro, it's defucnt now but still lives on in a few forms, such as what he mentioned or archbang/pacbang

it wasn't a gift. It was just gathering dust in a closet and they asked me if I wanted it.
whats a torrent box

Recording shows with a laptop?? Wtf

since you are new, let me help you
>basic rule of Sup Forums:
>don't ask things you can find with a simple search in google, take the time to search for yourself first and if you can't find anything then ask

install linux then throw it in the garbage

Install Lubuntu or another lightweight Debian variant like DebianDog. Use it as a hobby PC or something. I have an Inspiron E1505 I use for this very purpose.

This is the right answer. I've a similar acer and installed debian with xfce. Shit is so cash.

Thanks for the comment, Gaylord. I'll make sure to reference this comment in the future. Faggot.

Debian with i3 (tilling window manager but super easy to pick up).

these old acer aspires can upgrade to 2GB
and a SSD.
but the CPU is balls on anything.

you could run windows 2000 it uses less resoures than xp