What's the best choice for a private GIT server?

Looking for an easy solution to my problem: Being able to access my code easily from anywhere. For versioning capability, I want a private git server. It will need to always be on so I don't want to put it on my laptop or desktop. Is a raspberry pi or some chink alternative the best solution? I figure it's low power and I don't mind keeping it on 24/7. It looks like it has been done before which makes it easier as well. Also, how much can one of these things handle? Would I be able to run a simple staging/test apache server from the same one?

Other urls found in this thread:

where.coraline.codes/blog/my-year-at-github/
github.com/github/dmca/blob/master/2017/2017-06-20-MiBandTools-Counter-Notice.md
jeffgeerling.com/blog/2016/review-odroid-c2-compared-raspberry-pi-3-and-orange-pi-plus
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

An rpi is ok for that, although if your website is too heavy it might get slow.

what's wrong with github/lab?

Gitlab on RasPi is bretty gud.
>github
are you retarded? they're the cancer.

It would only be for testing/showing to a couple clients at a time, but I may just get a cheaper VPS. That seems overkill though.

Github is shit, I want control of my own files

Have you used? I'm only just hearing of gitlab looks interesting

How are they cancerous? Is this the windows vs linux of git?

>paying for ((( privacy )))

>How are they cancerous?
Github are major SJWs and they censor shit HEAVILY. Do not use Github!

>Have you used? I'm only just hearing of gitlab looks interesting
Yeah, use it every day. I had a Linux instance on one of the VPS hosts but got rid of it and just use a RasPI now since it's faster and cheaper.

I have files with nigger, and other non pc words on github, they haven't been taken down

I would never support github or any service that censors free speech (which is basically every major internet service at this point)

So what, you just have it hooked up to your home network? What model of pi do you have? I've seen some chink knock offs but they're probably just as good right

Your pic proves the otherwise, though. Or did you mean it's heavily infested with SJW?

>How are they cancerous?
imagine being this contrarian

I'm not a contrarian, or trying to troll. I'm just someone who is still new about this git thing.

Not him, but if the last couple of weeks have taught me anything, it's that leverage really is important. When you give a company the keys to your work with little to no alternative, you open the doors for said company to, at any time they want, remove your work. They don't even have to properly explain why, and they're completely in the right to do so, being as they host your content for free and all.

I'm not trying to get all Sup Forums in here, but honestly, it's for the best that you don't get dependent on companies, because companies always hire that one resentful fuck that can't wait to fuck people over to abuse his power. Host your own servers.

See
Pretty simple, Github is a managed service and you're depending on a third party. Why do that when a rpi can do the same thing and you get to be in control?

wtf happened to g? every thread is filled with anti google/github/social/sjw/everything else, did i miss something?

>I have files with nigger, and other non pc words on github, they haven't been taken down
They took down a project with retard in name. Your repo is one complaint away from being taken down and they'll probably ban you as well.

>So what, you just have it hooked up to your home network?
Yep. Over Wifi.

>What model of pi do you have?
Raspi2... last year's model. Plenty fast for what I need it. I think it will last me 5+ years.

>I've seen some chink knock offs but they're probably just as good right
Sure. Get one of the cheap ones just make sure it has Linux support.

>Your pic proves the otherwise, though. Or did you mean it's heavily infested with SJW?
How does it prove otherwise? CarolineAda works for Github. That mentally ill dude is banning projects left and right that don't conform to PC bullshit words.

Pic related is a slide from Github diversity training that's required for all their employees.

Gogs or Gitea on an rpi is pretty good, can even run those on a rpi zero

Why would someone as ugly as these fucks put their face as their avatar?
If I were them I'd put a bag over my head before going out

jesus christ

>CarolineAda works for Github
Not anymore
where.coraline.codes/blog/my-year-at-github/
Doesn't make GitHub any less cancerous though

Oh. I thought she was just some random user or something.

Think I will just grab an rpi3 because it has ethernet. Is there a better option? I see the power consumption of the zero is much lower but there's no wifi or ethernet so what can you even use them for? Or are they just a barebones kit that people solder/add on to?

github.com/github/dmca/blob/master/2017/2017-06-20-MiBandTools-Counter-Notice.md

OP's right.

Pi Zero is for fucking faggots, you need to spend 30 dollars on adaptors just to use the shit thing anyway. dont waste your time.

they have plenty of other cancerous SJW staff.

>Is there a better option?
No.
> I see the power consumption of the zero is much lower but there's no wifi or ethernet
Zero W has Wifi. If you don't need Ethernet, it's perfect.

>so what can you even use them for?
millions of uses. go on one of the Raspi project sits and see what people do with them.

it's nuts. They permaban people over trivial shit. you say a bad word and they'll ban you.

>it's nuts. They permaban people over trivial shit. you say a bad word and they'll ban you.

Are you surprised they are censoring? They've been censoring people for years, not github specifically just corporations in general.

Yeah, I saw the zero w but I still think I will go with the rpi3 for the 64 bit cpu and 1gb ram. Not sure how much that stuff even matters but it's only like $30

Got banned for writting things in a readme.md file.
i kept receiving message telling me to put a CoD in case my project grow into something with more developers so I put a big ass warning telling to stop bothering me with a CoD because I don't care about people political opinions.
I received a message from github telling me to remove the warning or they remove my project, I told them to fuck off and deleted everything, they banned me.
Now I use bitbucket and set everything to private, I won't contribute to free softwares anymore.

>Are you surprised they are censoring? They've been censoring people for years, not github specifically just corporations in general.
They're pure cancer. Github is one of the most evil SV companies. And one of the most dangerous ones since they host so much software.
Go for it.

what's a cod?

>check out gitlab
>see this

Code of Donduct

CoC*
sry m8

I'd be pretty pissed too if I went to check out gitlab and fucking Opera opened up

Who do you think is the worst sv company in terms of censorship? I'd have to say facebook just because of how much data is transmitted through them. Or apple. And I will be grabbing the rpi3 later this week, maybe a second one for the web server.

Its a fish, retard

Disappointing.

I don't understand why a site hosting FOSS code is put through this. It's not a very popular site for common folk.

When you get reported, there is nothing you can do but comply, github admins are fucking cucks and bend over before whatever minority is screaming the louder.

Because the left spreads their message with identity politics. That means every piece of life & culture will be infused with political bullshit and you can't escape it. This is how they turn people to their side, because who wants to be deemed a racist or hateful? It's a lot easier to just ban people or censor shit to "make everyone happy" Especially a company with a large public appearance to uphold

>Who do you think is the worst sv company in terms of censorship?
Google, Twitter, Facebook and Cloudflare. All are cancerous.

> I'd have to say facebook just because of how much data is transmitted through them.
They are bad but not as bad as Google.

>Or apple.
Apple's an ant. They don't control the internet or the flow of information.

>And I will be grabbing the rpi3 later this week, maybe a second one for the web server.
I have 2. one is Pihole other is Gitlab.

>Apple's an ant. They don't control the internet or the flow of information
>iCloud
>iMessage
>Fingerprint scans

Controlling the hardware is just as important/dangerous as the software that is on it, no? I agree with your other points.

apple has like

Can't you just agree apple is one of the worst?

And don't forget the android percentage is split among multiple device manufacturers while iOS is a monopoly

jeffgeerling.com/blog/2016/review-odroid-c2-compared-raspberry-pi-3-and-orange-pi-plus

LMAO at those numbers! Try worldwide, nigga. Also, show me where Apple banned DS.

>implying other countries matter

The point is that Apple has hundreds of millions of devices they control and do whatever the content creators want.

git is for faggots that work with others or make mistakes

they don't control information. show me one instance where Apple's filtering the internet and DNS blackholing shit on their devices. Banning apps is different. Your hate for Apple has destroyed the few brain cells you had.
just because you hate apple and it killed your dog or fucked your mother doesn't mean that google's good. google's the enemy here.

Google is certainly the bigger enemy right now and I have no hatred for Apple. I use an iPhone, have a macbook and built a hackintosh so saying I have a hatred for apple is plain stupid. I'm just very aware how many people use their devices, some of the most influential people in the world use iphones. If you can't see how that is a big problem, or could be a big problem then you don't have any brain cells to begin with.