Failing infrastructure is technology

failing infrastructure is technology
what went wrong Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_L'Aquila_earthquake
texastribune.org/2017/05/04/texas-house-weather-insurance-lawsuits/
youtube.com/watch?v=o85teh1vU_0
np.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/6wcpt0/la_vita_bella_nursing_home_in_dickinson_texas/dm87jfk/?st=j6xfe6zh&sh=3896e036
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

a cat 4 hurricane

Can the foundation of tall buildings be effected by flooding?

I recognize that building from Sim City. But what city is this?

image of Houston earlier today

The costs are too high to justify planning for once in a generation weather event.

Americans are incredibly stupid and can't do anything right compared to europe.

Eventually. I'd assume that most of the buildings use water resistant concrete though. Houston has drainage channels, outfalls, heck even the sewers are meant to move the flood water out as quickly as possible.
I'd assume they'd easily last in water for quite a while before anything major actually happens like swelling and cracking.

>Americans are so stupid and fat they can't even prepare for a hurricane properly

Woops, meant for >62141818

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_L'Aquila_earthquake

ite true. even with millions in federal funding and the state having set aside money and supposed preparation, everything falls apart. can't even organize and fund small scale in huricane zones, everything is external and good Samaritans
where did al the resources set aside for this catastrophe go?

>Criticism was also applied to poor building standards that led to the failure of many modern buildings in a known earthquake zone: an official at Italy's Civil Protection Agency, Franco Barberi, said that "in California, an earthquake like this one would not have killed a single person".

kek

stupid pizza donkeys

Still whiter than america

That must be some tough ass construction equipment...

Building at the ocean level and heavily populating it is what went wrong with this. Living at altitude makes sense, but people ignore history.

>what went wrong Sup Forums?

Absolutely nothing. Houston isn't below sea level like New Orleans was so eventually all the water will just flow back out to the ocean.

>millions in federal funding

Maybe in the 3rd world yuroshit country you live in millions is a lot of money, but in America you need billions to get anything done. Millions will pay for pot hole repair, unlike in your shithole where you can probably build an entire city with.

Not for much longer, Akhmed.

who was measuring rain in Houston in 1517

you're so unkind my dear burger

>FILTHY YUROPOORS
>he screamed as the last of his four chins submerged into rapidly rising muddy water

How would you have stopped this fellow Sup Forumsentlemen?

tax breaks for oil refineries and rocket fuel factories next to elementary schools

By not building a city in the tornado alley.

Shitty engineers/budget

>Millions will pay for pot hole repair, unlike in your shithole where you can probably build an entire city with.

Sounds to me like America is the shithole when you're so badly managed and corrupt that it takes millions to fix a pothole.

building in wetlands

Concrete hardens because it 'absorbs' water in a chemical reaction, so it isn't going to soften due to the flood. Also most big buildings have pilings that go all the way down to bedrock. Big buildings are going to be fine.

evacuated the city
>mayor literally objectified to evacuation because "it'll cause a bigger mess"
L O L
AAAAAAMMMMMMEERRRRRRICCCCCCCCAAAAAA

this isn't holland dumbass

At least if you bring a 99c pack of water you can sell it for 45 dollars tho

texastribune.org/2017/05/04/texas-house-weather-insurance-lawsuits/

HAVE FUN NOT GETTING ANY INSURANCE MONEY WHEN YOUR HOUSE IS WIPED OUT. HOPE ALL YOU FAGS DROWN

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>actually hurts you more than us.
This hurricane cost a lot of financial damage. In the end americans will be okay as we will find ways to take care of ourselves overall, but the outcome is that some americans have less money is less money that americans will have less money to spend elsewhere like from goods, or services from a shithole country like yours. Enjoy actually feeling the blow financially more than an average texas american would. Remember whenever america farts it's your country that really has to deal with the smell.

>DUMB YUROPOORS IT ACTUALLY HURTS YOU MORE THAN ME
>he screamed while watching his house and all his belongings swept away by a hurricane

>tornado
lrn2weather

You need to stop judging that poor black mayor just doing his job, racist.

lrn2english

>implying one of the largest and most populated metropolitan areas in the united states can evacuate in an orderly and timely enough manner to avoid the hurricane

For real
WE HAVE TO EVACUATE!!!1

With only one reported fatality so far, I'd say it went pretty well.

Correct. They built walls.

global warming. when the next flood comes you won't even see those skyscrapers

You didn't finish the dike you already planned for
Literally a lot could have been prevented if you just finished the fucking dike earlier

>Republicans are too busy sucking billionaire cock to prepare for hurricanes

Fixed that for you

No Sup Forums is an echo chamber where you're only allowed to make posts that agree with the alt-right agenda.

You aren't allowed to post dissenting opinions there.

>west coast says we need SV and tech companies to keep our country advanced
>we still have 1900 dated tech in most of the US

So much for muh innovative tech talk

>but I'm not in an echo chamber, i r smart
>>west coast says we need SV and tech companies to keep our country advanced
California is not the west coast
>we still have 1900 dated tech in most of the US
[citation needed]

>have an entree states worth of app developers
>no-one can engineer a fucking dike

You dont need a citation. Stop living in a fantasy land, likely seattle or portland and look outside your backyard

if its new(less than 6 months) the most surely it will because the sky scrapper hasnt had enough time to settle down

>look outside
>amazon drone drops off package at neighbours
>fuck me 1900s must've been awesome!

>still shitty construction videos
>farming tech is still using 1970 shit
>our infrastructure is still dated
>utilities have yet to become publicly commercially innovative to streamline public utility

There are a bunch of projects sitting on the burner that have yet to be touched because funding takes forever to get and all the "tech" money isn only funding globalization

Always amazed by how horribly every state that isn't Florida deals with hurricanes.

dont call us "pizza donkeys". I'll splatter your monkey brains all over the ceiling.

oh shit really

Water will mold the fuck out of everything, which will cause breathing problems on the long run

Shut up pizza donkey.

>No Sup Forums is an echo chamber where you're only allowed to make posts that agree with the alt-right agenda.

If you have actually been to Sup Forums, you would have seen that most of the posters hate the "alt right". The alt right is a fucking meme and you are a retard to believe it actually exists like the media tells you it does.

>echo chamber
Come up with an actual argument and people will respectfully debate with you in what ever topic you want to discuss. You just call it that because you focus on the huge amounts of shitposting that happens.

America is a corrupt shithole where money is embezzled and attempts to fix things are always cut down via either legislation deadlock or outright assassination.

Then by 1900s were you referring to the entire 20th century?

you cant fix things usa isnt japan usa builts for it to look nice and pleasing japan builts shits because they actually understand the danger
this is one of their diversion pools under tokyo...

Texas is one of the more functional states so it's actually surprising to me how poorly prepared they were. But it's not like they knew this was coming until it was.

>usa builts for it to look nice and pleasing
Really, we don't. If you look at 20th century infrastructure, especially the earlier, it's all function and no form. Europe is way ahead of us in aesthetics.

Also, please study English more, that was painful.

i get frustrated when i type through the damn phone so i stopped caring about correct usage of engrish lol

so yeah as i said take houston it has what? 2 major rivers? they knew the damn thing once in a while will overflow they have had this problem for centuries and yet nothing is done the rivers are still the same the city grew like a motherfucker they builded on places that naturally was flooded by the rivers and so on..
but i guess its typical american behaviour just like in california and their quake proof shit they built houses with bias

>they built houses with bias
Yes, all the negroes live in the back of the suburb.

indeed this shit was the sole reason tokyo didnt btfo from the tsunami back in 2011
youtube.com/watch?v=o85teh1vU_0
the rivers overflowed so fast that without it tokyo would have been venice 2.0 but i guess we cant really compare japs to anyone else in the world when it comes to safety

>typical american behaviour
More so mid-century before such things were studied in-depth. Where I live we've been adding natural drainage for a few decades, and even have land reserved for floodplains. Houston is a free-for-all unlike anywhere else in murica, and that has affected them more than a typical city here.

its everywhere like that
look the central states
every year they have tornadoes and yet they still refuse to start building concrete houses bolted on concrete foots they rather built wooden houses because its cheap and each year keep the industry flowing..

or california they know they had 13 subduction earthquake bigger than 7mg and yet they still havent built something that will actually hold up..the last big one they had showed to them that their skyscrappers are dangerously lacking and im really doubtfull that they fixed anything..
look at hawaii they literally live above a fucking hotspot and their geothermal generation is below 1% one of the proposal of the icelanders was to flatten one of the 2 less populated islands and just fucking build it with geothermal plants it would have provide literally infinite power supply but no you see the oil companies relies too much on them
its all about the money its not like they cant find solutions they probably have millions of them but finding a perma solution means that a lot of people will lose money

Do you know how many people died the last time there were forced evacuations? Many, many more, in their cars, on the freeway, stuck in gridlocked traffic.

I think the only thing you can do at this point is kill yourself.

You're a retard. Normal concrete/brick houses are not tornado-proof. The only thing you would achieve by building it is wasting more money on rebuilding it after a hurricane.

no one talked about normal i literally stated concrete houses bolted on concrete foots literally being reinforced
no one fucking builts normal concrete houses anymore

Hawaii built a geothermal plant a while ago. It went up late and several times over budget, required constant maintenance, and didn't produce the designed amount of power. Hawaiians since then have been hostile to any construction of any new power plant, regardless of where the power comes from, so electricity growth is down to solar roof installations pretty much.

>central states
Tornadoes are really powerful, it probably won't make a difference.
>california
Are you kidding me? They got btfo in 1906 and implemented quake-proof designs after that. These days it's the really old buildings that are most prone to collapse. And in my state, houses are built since 1996 to withstand 9+ earthquakes.
>hawaii
Something tells me there's more than muh oil at play. It would probably offend the natives or something.

Climate change

>Not for much longer, Akhmed.
America is 52% white and falling rapidly, the majority of children are black of spic. You continue to surpass experts' predictions for the decline of the white population in the US. The most niggerfied yuro country is what, 85% white (most are 95%+)? And it isn't getting much worse, the worst of the refugee crisis is over and immigration levels will begin to return to normal.

>once in a generation
there were three 1/1000 year flood events in the USA in 2016
unironically wake up sheeple

yes

from a few different reasons.

most common is flooding can temporarily effect the ground surrounding your foundation. So if it's been a super dry year and then you get hit with a Cat 4 hurricane that floods you out for a week or so, there's a good chance that the sediment under your foundation can shift and if it's major enough it can really through your foundation out of level, or even crack it.

The next is that the foundation is probably old enough (or already damaged enough that the force of the water entering it cracks the foundation further.

No mandatory evacuation, even if it was going to cause a jam like Rita.

>three 1/1000 year flood
Maybe they don't know what such a flood looks like then?

Yes, America has a great track record where hurricane recovery is concerned

np.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/6wcpt0/la_vita_bella_nursing_home_in_dickinson_texas/dm87jfk/?st=j6xfe6zh&sh=3896e036

>inb4 "reddit"
the comment i linked described just why evacuating is a pretty terrible experience all around.

List of countries by external debt (the worst kind) per percentage of GDP:

Netherlands: 533%
UK: 314%
Germany: 148%
France: 213%
Sweden: 169%
Norway: 167%
Spain: 167%
Australia: 126%
Switzerland: 265%
Finland: 196%
Denmark: 163%
Italy: 126%
Iceland: 117%
Belgium: 265%
Greece: 245%
Portugal: 216%

The United States? 97%

Even more hilarious is when you realize the United States has try to manage a population of 300 million over a massive land area and has a insane military budget and overseas empire and yet and you European countries with laughably smaller and easier to manage populations with almost no overseas empires to speak of have gotten yourselves into vastly more debt.

I mean Jesus Christ Europe can you fuck up any worse when the U.S. looks like a financial mastermind by comparison?

yeah they arent powerfull enough for what i suggest it literally took an f5 in 2013 to cause some cosmetic damage in concrete houses in joplin MO

there is a great 1989 documentary i suggest you look it up it shows significant damage to skyscrappers foundations being cracked because of the tension
the conrect being cracked because it wasnt reionforced
literally a lot of shit even the bridge which was retrofitted (as they said) it collapsed because apparently they didnt thought that an earthquake can produce a rolling effect(...)
i thought if that but still as i remember correctly they only care if its near the volcano

A 1/1000 year flood that is so much worse than the observed regular flooding that it has a probability of 1/1000, they don't happen like clockwork once every 1000 years, think of a bell curve (yes I know river flow is highly heteroscedastic this example is for illustrative purposes) a level of the response variable that corresponds to a probability of 1/1000 is a long long way out to the end of the tail

>no one fucking builts normal concrete houses anymore
The absolute majority of non-skyscraper buildings in non-seismic zones are built with shallow foundation. Putting a proper deep foundation for a moderately sized american family home and reinforcing the walls, arches and roof would cost hundreds of thousands. The building would still be unsafe to remain in during tornado and would still sustain some damage incurring repair costs. The belongings inside would still be damaged and/or trashed unless you put in storm resistant windows and doors, which would cost further six figures altogether. It's simply cheaper to rebuild cheap cost effective carton boxes than massively invest into a home you may want to sell or move away from later.

Oh and LOL at the European delusion that your infrastructure is so much better than the U.S. because of your amazing European progressiveness.

No you dumb fucks. The only reason your shit is newer is because your infrastructure was fucking level in the 1940's.

So lets way the pros and cons vs the US: Slightly better infrastructure in exchange for getting ass raped by war. As your grandparents if they would rather have a few extra potholes or go through WWII again.

Oh and let's talk about the most important "infrastructure" of all and that is home and land ownership. Go ahead Europeans, compare the average U.S. house and the amount of land you can get vs the average cost and size of a house in Europe.

Oh but you have trains so you totally win. I'll be enjoying my beautiful house on nearly an acre of land near a major metro area that costs less than the average shit hole European studio apartment.

I see exactly how this is related to this thread, thank you for such an insightful post, I'm going to print it, and then mount it on my wall, every night I am going to take it down, and use the edge of the 80gsm paper to cut myself between the index and middle finger of my right hand, and every night after cutting myself I'm going to defecate into that open wound hoping that I will somehow expose myself to some kind of horrible illness so that I can lie in hospital and read it over and over

>external debt (the worst kind)
>tfw you're not sure if this is lazy baiting or sincere drumpftardism
Kek. Look up net debt and trade balance, friendo.

Ebin shitpost

You have to be more subtle. /r/murica tier posts don't get nearly as many (you)s as at least semi-coherent angery posts.

you dont need deep foundations you just need to them to be reinforced and by reinforced i mean to fucking build the foundation as part of the house not to pre built the house and just fucking slap it into the foundation as they do there
indeed that kind of damage we call it cosmetic (often on quakes) walls falling bla bla is cosmetic when the damage starts sweeping through the collumns and start revealing the bars then shit gets serious but for this to happen you need some serious level of energy being forced into them forces that tornadoes arent able to produce anyways
houses like that its for a long term obviously but they are a lot safer that anything because the real threat for a wooden house is when the wind finds a way to enter the building and just rips the roof if that happens the house is doomed
if wind enters a concrete house it wont cause much damage anyways and you probably can be safe inside it

The US hardly had any infrastructure in the 40s, your interstate highways were built post-war.

Please stop this kind of retarded bullshit.
As someone who commuted to NYC for years and seen the infrastructure from all ends, it's a fucking nightmare. It's awful. You'd think that we were the ones who lost WW2.

It's shitty here because:
The corruption is rife at the top, plenty of Americans really don't care, and we tend to pay less taxes.
It's a problem and having been to the better of Europe (Denmark for example), we are put to absolute shame in public infrastructure.

I have plenty to critique about Europe, this is not even close to one of them.

>historic city with medieval buildings
>stupid pizza donkeys
How many years do your cardboard houses last, 5?

>what went wrong Sup Forums?
US building standards.

Houses here are attached to the foundation, the only exceptions being old houses.

> Look up net debt and trade balance, friendo.

Oh look someone took baby's first econ class and thinks our trade deficit is a bad thing right now when in reality we tricked the world into holding a fuck ton of our dollars. "But they could sell and lower the value of the dollar". Yeah, to who? The other countries that also have fuck tons of U.S. dollars that they don't want to see devalued lol?

We fucking played the whole world who thought they were "winning" by having a trade surplus with us.

>reddit

The city with the most immigrants from Europe is the most fucked. Wow what a surprise.