/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Other urls found in this thread:

getblackbird.net/blacklist/updates/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What the fuck happened?

Okay I'll start.

What the FUCK is that?

will the ryzen 7 1700 work on my windows 7 install? someone told me it completely breaks windows and another said it just disables updates. i see the same shit online too.

How do I get solidity syntax in atom?

On Chrome/Chromium, when I click to expand a large image on Sup Forums, then click the image again to collapse it, my view of the page jumps up or down. Is this normal behavior?

How do i increase my cpu voltage with software?
my bios doesn't seem to support it

are you using Sup Forums X or Appchan X or neither?

Apparently I asked my question at the tail end of the previous thread. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Serious answer? Looks like someone sprayed that insulation stuff and then used red spray paint.

neither

then i'd recommend using one of those.
i use appchan x.

leddit says it's probably an art project, since nothing in a computer can explode like that.

Ok, please give me a hint here. I have a new pc r7 1700, 16 gb RAM, rx570 but recently when I start a video it freezes for a good 3-4 seconds before it starts. It even does it on youtube, though not for as long. What could be the cause for this? Video drivers? Codecs?

What's the new updates in windows 7 i have to block to stop the spying?

What is this thing in intel extreme tuning utility and what does it do?
when set to maximum, it adds 1,000 (yes, that's one thousand) volts to.. something.
what is that something

getblackbird.net/blacklist/updates/

is black bird safe? the site seems kinda dodgy

Nevermind on this. Appears to have been caused by nouveau, though I'm not sure how.

I dunno, I never used the software. But the list seems legit.

I wanna a silent mouse and keyboard, what should i look for?

Magic smoke got let out

>Win10 says there's a problem with COM1. Asks to reboot
>Shutdown PC
>Fans and lights still on after shutdown, flipped switch on PSU
>Reboot
>Still detecting errors
>Shutdown again
>Fans and lights still on, flipped switch on the PSU
>Go to start it up again
>Nothing. No spinning fans, no lights, nothing. It's as of the PC isn't even plugged in

I think my PSU just died, but I'm not 100%. Is there anything else I should be checking?

My phone's call speaker is giving me problems, I noticed It works when I press on the glass around it, does this mean the connector somehow separated, can this be due to heat? The phone has a SD808 so I thought that might be it.

Why are b43 drivers such hell to get to work on Linux when its used on p popular laptops?

That can't possibly be adding 1,000 volts. Like that is completely inconceivable.

The average cpu has 1.2v and unless you know exactly what you're doing and you're an overclocking enthusiast you shouldn't be doing more than 1.4-1.5v. If your cpu was pushing ONE THOUSAND VOLTS it would melt your god damn processor.

I don't use the XTU but I assume it allows you to increase your cpu voltage by a maximum of 1.000 (not 1,000). I also recommend if you're trying to overclock your cpu not to use software but to do it from bios itself.

Never use software overclocking unless its a GPU.

what do yall think of my monitor setup?
is it going to catch fire and burn my house down?
its got controller board on the back covered in bubble wrap. its held up by shoelaces taped to the back of the panel

Ryzen is not heavy or large unless you mean the threadripper specifically which is massive. However that's better to compare with Intel's own i9 processors which are pretty big too.

Pic related, the i9 is shown in the image on left with an i7 to the right.

I'd recommend sticking to i7 (intel) or an r5/r7 (AMD) if size bothers you. You also most likely do not need what threadripper/i9s are specifically used for.

microsoft teams via irc??
is it possible without a bouncer

my pc is stuck on a reboot loop that lasts for a good 20-30 seconds, it doesn't even get to the bios and theres no visual input on my monitor

i've already tried removing ram/gpu so i think it might be an issue with my cpu or my mobo ... any thoughts ;_;

What would cause individual programs for using more CPU than usual?

In daily gaming usage I tend to use 50% of my CPU and recently this has spiked up to 100% usage all the time. Like even launching any game or other intensive programs for a few seconds would cause the CPU usage to spike to 100%. Task manager would read out that the program itself is using 60-70% of my CPU which is more than my entire computer used to use a few days ago.

Do you know what would cause this? Like it works but at 100% usage my temps jump to 70 degrees from the usual 45-50. Not unplayable but it bothers me.

I've scanned for weird programs hogging the processor and did two separate virus scans and came up with nothing.

Where would I look to find information about security/how to perform regular backups, I don't back anything up and it's slowly getting to me

I'm interested in getting a 4k monitor. Is 32" cool or should I wait for decent 40" 4ks?

i know it's not even worth considering trying to use this thing at a thousand volts, i was just wondering what it was and why anyone would use it since even the smallest increment was 4 volts, which would easily kill any cpu.

not the guy you replied to, but why?

Try clearing cmos?

I've never heard of people complaining about noisy mice so I can't help you there.

Keyboards with topre domes are super quiet (but super light, I personally hate them). Any keyboard with Cherry MX red/black silent are quiet too.

If you're a bit savvy you can rip off all the keys on any mechanical keyboards and install o-rings.

Go on mechanicalkeyboards.com and type silent red into the search and you'll find a good selection.

>backups
You can backup via the cloud but any decent solution cost money. Alternatively use something like Cobain and back up to an external/internal hard-drive or to an ftp.

I just have a hard-drive where I have cobain do weekly backups of certain folders.

You don't want a program to really be messing with your bios, more specifically your cpu. Most of these utilities are also pretty ambiguous about what they do and can lead to ridiculous cpu situations such as increasing your processor from 3.1ghz to 3.3 ghz but increasing it's voltage from 1.15 to 1.4

Use windows 10

Brand new NVIDIA adopter here. Fresh PC build, just got windows up and running, installed latest nvidia drivers. EVGA 1080ti sc2.

Is it normal for the fans to not come on at all? I read a couple quick things saying they DONT even come on until the card gets hot, is that correct? Ive used AMD for close to a decade now and those fans are on at all times......

How do I hack stuff

I know C, I understand basics of buffer overflow and Im learning about computer networks. Read one Pentesting book for beginners.

How do I cross the line and learn practical stuff without getting raped in jail?

To add to this, I saw people saying install something called XOC, do I need that for the fans to start working?

That is normal. There's no reason for the fans to come on if it's not hot. You can of course use programs like XOC to set your fans at a certain % or to set a fan curve but if you're not overclocking the default should be 102% fine.

All you would really do is be increasing your electricity bill. If you're really that paranoid you can just add a fan curve that's a bit more extreme above 50c.

If you're just browsing the web and your gpu is sitting below 50C why would you want them to turn on? That's a waste of electricity.

Ah, thanks man. Like I said, ive used AMD cards forever, and their fans are always on, and considering all the "housefire" memes from back in the day about nvidia cards, well, you can understand my fear, especially since this is a brand new build.

well, my current AMD card in my old PC runs at about 60 when the fans arent cranked up, with them cranked I sit at around 30-32. Michigan weathers a bitch, also I figure its my old case too probably, bad airflow.

I gotta buy a 4TB drive, should I do it soon or wait a couple of months?

Is Seagate safe now?

Get something and hack it

I KEEP FUCKING HEARING A SQUEAKING NOISE COMING FROM MY TOWER
I HAVE MY HEAD INSIDE THE FUCKING THING WITH THE SCREEN OFF AND STILL CAN'T TELL WHERE THE FUCK ITS COMING FROM
It's not from any fans that's for sure though

My next guess would be the hard drive then

AMD.

Yeah mate you're fine. If the Michigan weather is that shit and making pc run hot the fan would probably be on 24/7

Just download something that can monitor your temps and see what temp it reaches under load. If it's higher than you feel comfortable with then set a more aggressive fan curve.

Hard-drive
Shitty case vibrating
PSU fan
Water-cooling sounds
Double check your fans 1 by 1 by unplugging them (when it's off) sans the cpu fan.

is my first guesses

where the fuck is thing in MPlayer OSX that shows you visually on the time scale from 0 to video end what place in the video you're at? With other players like vlc it has the icon that moves throughout the video, but I can't see if mPlayer has it

Got Windows 10 and the default image viewer is super fucking bad. What are some recommended image viewers?

Assusming "MPlayer OSX" is the same as mplayer on linux it show up center screen when you skip or you can press 'o' to cycle through some other osd options. You can try the mplayer frontend too if you want even more gui.

Do you think we will ever build a dyson sphere around the sun? Like within the next 50 years or so maybe?

It would take hundreds of years to even prepare such a project

>Do you think we will ever build a dyson sphere around the sun?
It will probably never be necessary. Maybe large flocks of things orbiting the sun using thrusters to stay in place but building a sphere or ring around the sound is only good for dick measuring contests.
>Like within the next 50 years
HAHAHAHHA. we won't even space elevator in that time. If we try really hard we might get a hundred person permanent colony on the moon in that time.

>It will probably never be necessary.
I just think it's a horrible shame that the sun is releasing all this energy but we're just letting almost all of it radiate uselessly out into the universe without capturing and storing it. Even if we don't need it right away surely it will come in handy later, for example when the sun burns out down the line we would be glad if we stored it when we had the chance.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I think you guys may be right about the hard-drive.
I doubt it's the case, I don't think it's shitty. Maybe psu fan but I highly doubt it. Don't have any water-cooling because my rig isn't powerful enough to call for that. I stopped each individual fan to see if that was it (case, cpu, and gpu fans) and nope.

If it is the HDD what can I do that it? I bought this HDD less than a year ago, it can't be that bad now, it never has any problems loading data either.

bs=1M or bs=4M

In hundreds of billions of years when technoasianapeacians are worried about the sun dying/exploding, I'm sure they will drag a new one in to replace it or something.

Can a hackintosh work on an acer aspire 5750g laptop?

How do I host adblocking DNS on Freenas without a VM

Wouldn't it be easier to just drag the planet to orbit a new star?

>eject USB
>eject postpones to finish writing
>eject complete
>still blinking

Is there any particular reason a robot can't cook a meal as delicious as one made by a five star chef?

how do I eject my eternal hard drive from osx, it always says I have a program using it and then when I close everything it still does

In theory, no. In practice, robotics are hard.

I only use my rig for photoshopping shit, I don't need big computing power

>[email protected]
>gtx960
>Hyper-X 2x4g

Ram is the biggest bottleneck here. I think the shit is out of stock now, do I really need to dish out 100 bucks for 16gb? Is there a way to know if two very similar DDR(3) sets from the same company won't bluescreen me all the time?

bump

>dd my usb with gnome
>happens instantly
>sync
>it's been 15 minutes
worry

I'm having some issues with damaged laptop, it's taken water, probably shock damage, I've got frayed cables, exposed wires, the screen is separated from the body of the machine

But when I power it on (with or without battery), often it turns on for half a second then immediately turns off.
not sure if it's hardware or software related, and the condition of the device is so poor I don't know how to diagnose.

also, what the fuck is the strip of tinfoil behind the screen for? does it matter if it's severed?

I'll answer this the best I can.

> it turns on for half a second then immediately turns off
Sounds like the motherboard is fucked, but the power supply is still supplying power to it to try and turn on. So the board surges and then the thing switches back off, that's what's happening.

>what the fuck is the strip of tinfoil behind the screen for
Insulator

>does it matter if it's severed?
Yes. It wouldn't be there if it wasn't important.

Help! for some reason I'm not getting any signal back from my monitor when I plug it into my PC. I've tried an HDMI cord with my onboard graphics from my mobo and also an hdmi and displayport with my gtx 1080. Does anyone know what could possibly yield something like this?

Does the monitor have power? Is it turning on without being plugged into a computer?

Thanks senpai

Yes I have everything plugged in. It's displaying the screen for HDMI/dp modes respectively but it hits me with a "no signal" no matter what I try......

>the motherboard
so a screwdriver won't fix this one huh?

I re-attatched the screen with fishing wire, re-connected the shorted out wires, fuck I even changed the screen resolution so the display isn't projected onto the damaged area of the screen.

but about this insulator, the two pieces of metal that border the screen are broken and so is the tinfoil strip
what could this actually do?

GT 1030 2GB is the best I could get for $70?

That's "The Beast" from the popular RTS space game Homeworld: Cataclysm.

Going to make a bubble sort in C++. Before I try is it possible, easy or not, to make one without using the swap keyword?

I need to quickly test some leftover RAM before reselling but i already sold the CPU, is there a way to pop it in and test the ram for function without a CPU

It's absolutely not worth getting. A 1050 is the lowest card you should be looking at if you want to play video games, and that's $100.
Or get something used.

>have pc for little over a year
>randomly during Shadow of Mordor playthrough, and this game only (reasoning for the specific game) my pc will lose connection to my monitor and the fans will speed up to 100% rpm and I need to manually shut down
>recently the problem got worse and has spread to every single thing I do on my pc, I havent tried idling but there were a few times where it randomly happened just as I rebooted as well
>sometimes, if I manually turn it off and back on, the display will have a strange array of white lines on a black screen as if something with the gpu is fucked, however a manual reboot always remedies it. Not sure at the moment what causes this specific issue, though i felt it might be of use
>look over the internet, sadly this issue is a dime a dozen and hundreds of people said they saw success with just reinstalling drivers for a video card all the way to unplugging their shit and plugging it back in.
Im very confused at the moment and felt I would just come to you lads. I am sure it isnt a heat issue as my temps never get above 50c on my gpu and my cpu never gets above 30. I think it might be a PSU issue but am not sure what to do to check for it in that case. Already updated all my drivers to see if there was an issue there, it didnt fix the problem.

Have you ever used that computer before and seen it display something?

Put in in the microwave on high for 30s. If it is too hot to touch it is bad, if it is still cool it's alright.

Nope, currently in the process of putting it together for the first time ;_;

Is there a site that sells single replacement keycaps for mech keyboards?
I lost a couple of keys while cleaning them and I can't find them anywhere.

I don't know C++ but if you're sorting in an array you could take the variable that needs to be swapped and assign the value to a temporary variable.

example in probably not a real language:

temp = bubbleArray[n];
bubbleArray[n] = bubbleArray[n+1];
bubbleArray[n+1] = temp;

>one day pc wont boot
>no boot drive found
>repairing through the windows install disk doesn't work, dont want to reinstall because i'd lose my stuff
>buy new ssd
>reinstall
>2 days later, wont boot 'boot mgt' missing or some shit
>reinstall
>since then i've had 2 bluescreen crash dumps

what the fuck is going on?
is my pc majorly fucked or could it just be my ssd power/ sata cables?

What's the ideal number of virtual CPUs in Virtual Box for Windows 10 machine? I have Ryzen 5 1600.

Depends on how you are going to use it. If it is just for essential stuff just give it like two. If you are going to be using it much like a normal PC give it half, not like you are going to be using them anyway.

rip desu, probably did something wrong :c
when I built mine I used an hdmi into graphics card and it worked fine

Sorry, what I meant was if you could go through a whole bubble sort to where it's fully sorted. I believe in C++ you can use the keyword "swapped" as a boolean. If it swaps, then keep going. Eventually once it's all sorted it won't swap so it will return false.

Was wondering if there's a way to do this without resorting to such. I assume there is given somethings, but I wouldn't know.

You pretty much nailed the first way I thought of. You can have a boolean that gets flagged 1 if it finds an element that needs to be swapped. At the end of the sort if the flag is 1, flip it back to 0 and go through the list again. If the flag is 0 sorting is finished.

Irfanview

Buy an SSD

sadly I can't afford a 1050Ti, that's what I wished I could get, and I don't trust used gpus. I'll be mostly playing cs:go, overwatch, paladins, online games that are not too heavy. well, I guess I'll have to wait till black friday then. thx for replying, user

Oh of course. My own dumbass couldn't simply think of that.

Thanks, user!

how cheap can you go with regard to mobo, ram, cpu and gpu?

my dad needs a new home pc, literally the only reqs are a ~250gb ssd and 1tb hdd

Does the computer post? Can you not even see the the BIOS screen? Also try another monitor

Depends on what he is using it for. If it's just a facebook machine then you get really cheap with it, especially with the graphics cards.

And just as a bit for reference, the PSU is a corsair 650w