/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

massdrop.com/buy/seiko-core-skx-dive-watch
forums.watchuseek.com/f74/black-orange-watches-956187.html
forums.watchuseek.com/f43/start-here-choosing-your-g-shock-850524.html
forums.watchuseek.com/f275/ocean-one-gmt-water-pressure-failure-558965.html
forums.watchuseek.com/f275/brand-new-ocean-one-black-fails-pressure-testing-3678658.html
forums.watchuseek.com/f275/issues-my-steinhart-gmt-3113146.html
forums.watchuseek.com/f275/new-steinhart-ocean-titanium-engraved-ceramic-2346786-100.html
amazon.com/Casio-W800H-1AV-Classic-Sport-Watch/dp/B001AWZDA4
amazon.com/Casio-Quartz-Resin-Casual-Watch/dp/B000JNKABW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1504057266&sr=8-10&keywords=casio watch
thewatchsite.com/12-reference-articles-faq-model-guides/136-seiko-branding-dictionary.html
youtu.be/TsE-SFNrFP0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Which design looks better for casual wear?
AW5000 (blue/black) or
AW5005 (lime/black) or
BM8470 (black) or
BM8476 (black)?

AW5000-24E

but also why do you want a solar powered watch that costs 150 dollars?

massdrop.com/buy/seiko-core-skx-dive-watch

I'm absolutely in love with this 18 carat, rose gold TAG Heuer Carrera watch purchased from the beautiful city of Perth. Made with sapphire infused glass that only diamond can scratch, I've spoiled myself with this gorgeous timepiece. The calibre 16 movement has been crowned as the most successful automatic chronograph movement ever produced, completely handmade by man. It is also my very first day date watch and it will be interesting to see if it becomes an important feature that Will depend on over time. I hope you all enjoy this watch as much as I do.

I hope you're ready to wait two months for it to ship.

oh im not buying that fucking thing but i know a lot of you guys like seikos so i just wanted to share it.

Step up your game my dude.

>newfag that's never seen this pasta before

>And how many "reputable brands" are selling diver shaped watches for less than $500 that you would trust to actually be usable as dive watches without ISO certification or having the watch pressure tested yourself post purchase?
>The whole goddamn point of ISO certification on affordable dive watches is to signify that each and every one has been pressure tested by the manufacturer.

Firstly, there's a ton of companies other than Seiko selling dive watches under $500 that are plenty capable of diving, at least to the incredibly low bar that is ISO spec. Citizen, Orient, Casio, Hamilton, Steinhart, even that guy's shitter Invicta (with the Malaysian Seiko movement inside a Chinese case, just like your SKX) is capable of satisfying the specs. Every watch is pressure tested by the manufacturer, "ISO certified" or not. Again, the ISO is not a testing body, it is merely a standard setting organization, hence the acronym. It is up to the manufacturers to test their own watches, and every reputable company does so.

Also, your being pedantic and calling certain watches "diver shaped" to distinguish them from your shitter Seiko doesn't make it so, unless you wish to cast aspersions on Submariners and Seamasters, too.

you forgot that 60 dollar vostoks can probably go far deeper than an skx while not being certified for jack or shit.

Shut up you fucking cunt, bury it with the previous thread. Don't need another 300 posts of this autism.

Is there any /wt/ approved "contrast-watch" under 2k ?

pic related; the first is my current one
and the 3 other shitter I am looking at now

>neither if these say "Diver's"
What's the point of ISO again?

Also, real divers use dive computers, not fucking mechanical wristwatches with movements from the mid-nineties. So, if you're still wondering what watch an actual diver would choose, it's not gonna be an SKX (or an NY0040, or a Ray II, or a Submariner, or a Seamaster): it's gonna be a fucking dive computer, and maybe a G-Shock.

They're all overpriced garbage. What exactly are you looking for? Lumed watches?

And I don't need another tasteless Seiko male with his $200 relic from two decades ago unironically using the phrase "diver shaped watches", yet here we are.

Sinn

yes, basically the same style,
>black or dark colored case
>black dial
>bright green or orange indexes
>day at 3

Pretty sure they use a mechanical as a back up to their dive computer not a gshock. But you are right and the back up watch doesn't matter as much and when your just screwing around your back up is all you need.

>Invicta uses a hacking, handwinding Seiko NH35 inside a chinkmade case in their 100 dollar pro diver
>Seiko uses a non-hacking, non-handwinding Seiko 7S26 inside a chinkmade case in their 200 dollar skx

rly makes u think

>Sinn
yeah I knew about those guys the nice models start at 2k+

Orient Ray Raven
forums.watchuseek.com/f74/black-orange-watches-956187.html

Maybe look into Traser, too.

Would you recommend a SEIKO 5 SNZG15 over that solar?

>Ray raven
Yes, that's a nice one but wouldn't be much of an upgrade from my orient plus there is black seiko that looks Way nicer
those look like autistic luminoxes

i don't really buy nip shit but if you like it then yes. The solar is not bad but its not interesting or special at all. You can get a lot more for your money.

calm my amigo, I am still googleing the suggestions in that thread

i just saw this yootuber recommending a Tudor Black Bay Heritage. Looks cool and its within my price range
Should i go for it or is it too much of a poors man Rolex? thoughts?

That's one of the few good Tudors.

meh, they have the finishing of a rolex, and in house movements, so in that respect they're pretty legit. the best part about them is probably the fact that rolex are pushing the tudor brand hard, so they're probably going to begin to appreciate or at least hold steady, giving you good resale vale.

iirc the tudor case is kinda weird in that it's just totally flat on the sides, so it gives the watch the profile of some 17mm thick behemoth, which i'm not a fan of

i'd definitely shop around, $3k gives you a ton of dope options for divers/sport watches, the black bay is just one of many

they are good but i personally don't love the way they look

How long does a new watch take to "break in"? My new auto is gaining about 15 seconds a day, which I don't like.

Is TW2P75500 a decent entry level for liek 100 euros?

just bought this computron for $225, did i get shafted?

Is there a buying guide for G-Shocks?

I'd prefer if the subdials were at 9 and 3 or 12 and 6 instead of 10 and 3, but it's honestly still pretty hot. I've always been a sucker for orange and grey.

forums.watchuseek.com/f43/start-here-choosing-your-g-shock-850524.html

protip: get a basic 5600/5610 and be done with it
or, get a rangeman and become the legendary g-shock autist that the legends foretold

Not really a fan of the unmarked seconds subdial. There's better quartz chronos out there imo, but if you like the styling/colorway, go for it.

they don't do that. Anyone who says watches or headphones break in has no experience with engineering and is clinically retarded.

Alright, so should I just get it adjusted? I'm not expecting chronometer accuracy out of my 300 dollar Seiko, but I'd rather not have to sync to NIST time every morning if I could help it.

damn man what movement is it? The shitty invicta i got august 15 was set the day i got it against nist time and was off by less than 4 seconds today when i checked it.

Look at the protrek imo, the older models new are crazy cheap atm.

It's an SRP777, so it has the 4R36.

There's the DW2901V too if you want to go even cheaper than the 5600.

yeah same movement. Seiko allows for +35 to -45 on that movement. even their 8l35 is only rated from +15 to -10. Like it says in the video they typically hold much tighter tolerances but that rating is that high because a sufficient quantity of movement fall in all parts of that range.

How do people get a Steel Daytona from an authorized dealer? They pay bribes, right? No one talks about this but that is the truth, innit?

> Every watch is pressure tested by the manufacturer, "ISO certified" or not.
forums.watchuseek.com/f275/ocean-one-gmt-water-pressure-failure-558965.html

forums.watchuseek.com/f275/brand-new-ocean-one-black-fails-pressure-testing-3678658.html

forums.watchuseek.com/f275/issues-my-steinhart-gmt-3113146.html

forums.watchuseek.com/f275/new-steinhart-ocean-titanium-engraved-ceramic-2346786-100.html

>unabashed homage buyers
they deserve it 2bh

finally got this, not quite how it looks in the pics online but I'm happy with it

Is this watch pleb tier? Should I just get the black rubber one instead?

Look up nutnfancy on youtube he has some great models reviewed. But be ware he is very autistic and the reviews are eons long

no, it's cool if you're going to for a retro/80s aesthetic
just beware that the case isn't actual steel, it's plastic made to look like metal
i'd tell you to pair it with pastels to look dope, but summer's already over, so that plan may have to wait

Are any similar models actually metal? I feel that the shiny would rub off with use.

what in the fuck were you thinking?

I think A158s and some A168s are metal. Check out the appropriate Amazon spec sheet to make sure you're getting the one you want.

Thanks man

Is there any 10mm thick or less waterproof watches?

just don't buy too many at once user, or you'll get the feds breathing down your back

God dammit Achmed how many times do we have to tell you; your kind is not welcome here.

It's true
a couple years back I saw a post on pol linking to those fbi documents that describes people being put on a list
apparently they use these watches for making bombs and at one point it was rumored it was part of al qaida recognition
you get put on a list for even googling it

What's the better version that a dude recommends here?

Who is this man and why does he look familiar ?

mb this one?

Silly newfag, that's Vacheron Dufour. Lurk more.

I think he recommends the W800H-1AV.
amazon.com/Casio-W800H-1AV-Classic-Sport-Watch/dp/B001AWZDA4

What watch is this?

here you go my dude
amazon.com/Casio-Quartz-Resin-Casual-Watch/dp/B000JNKABW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1504057266&sr=8-10&keywords=casio watch

Watches appeared during some reading today. Happy to see tuning forks, somewhat upset that marine chronometers and mechanical watches were omitted.

y dafug do u have a hairband on your wrist? do u like have long unkept hair cos your homeless and shit?

why would he be asking what type of watch it is if it was a picture of his own wrist? are you illiterate?

>Hey dudes what's the name of this watch on my wrist right now?

oh ok my bad

> 1 usec / day
> 1 sec / yr
????????

DW5600MS-1 is cooler cause red
and

Casio Men's GW-M5610-1BJF
is all around best g shock
black text
looks awesome
20 bar wr
solar
el-illumination
6 band atomic time
tough as shit

What's the difference between the Seiko 5 and the Seiko 5 Actus when it comes to vintage watches? I know that Actus is a sub brand referring to the lower end models, but is there a difference in build quality, features, etc?

I wonder where the typo came from. Possibly an m->μ, but the numbers are very approximate anyway since the COSC standard for quartz is 26 s/yr. If they meant 1 μs/s that would also make more since. Then again, it was an aside and not very important to the authors.

i am not trying to be a dick but why would you care? What reason would you have for buying an old watch that was cheap when it came out, is sitll cheap now, probably doesn't work very well, with a service price far higher than a purchase price?

Just did a mockup of if a newer rolex explorer kept the same numbers. I wish this were real.

i with rolex stopped fucking up their watches, writing rolex all over the chapter ring, paragraphs on the dial. increasing size, they even etch the crown into the fucking sapphire now.

I mean if you're a total madman you could mod one. It'd destroy any semblance of its resale value, and probably void your warranty with Rolex for like five generations to come though.

you kinda are being a dick, isn't it the purpose of /wt/ for user cucks to ask such questions? b'sides i'd like to know too

well now you are the dick but here you go buddy
thewatchsite.com/12-reference-articles-faq-model-guides/136-seiko-branding-dictionary.html

also for some reason every post on only watch forums is all kike bucket and none of the photos are on any fucking forum page on any website.

So what's the deal with dive watches that have ridiculous depth ratings on them? I can get 100 or 200m, but something like 1000m sounds pretty pointless nowadays since any diver that's at that level of skill would be using a dive computer.

kekekekkek you fag that wasn't so hard was it, thanks buddee

It is totally pointless. Some people used to use them back before computers but now a days its more a meme. There was a point were they were still used and sold to the mass market to fund development and make some additional monies. They can really only be used by saturation divers anyway who are paid pretty well and mostly just went for the rolex divers.

Lol, divers don't dive to a half mile below sea level dude, computer or not. Fucking nuclear submarines top out at 750ish meters. And it's just a bragging point, having cases able to withstand absolutely absurd pressures.

youtu.be/TsE-SFNrFP0

>
>i with rolex stopped fucking up their watches, writing rolex all over the chapter ring, paragraphs on the dial. increasing size, they even etch the crown into the fucking sapphire now.
Chapter ring engraving is to help blend in the serial number and make it harder to fake a Rolex. Same with the crown engraving. Those you have the Chinese fakers to blame. I do agree with the size but that hasn't changed too drastically.
And by paragraphs on the dial do you mean the usual
>Rolex
>Oyster-perpetual
>GMT-master
>Superlative chronometer
>Officially certified
Like they have had for years and years and years? Maybe you just don't like Rolex?

I'm... actually not sure if I like it that much. I don't think it fits applied markers. Either leave the 1016 look as it was (which would be neat), or do what Rolex did.

i love rolex

No human has gone scuba diving past roughly 300 meters. Watches that go deeper are so robotic arms can keep time during publicity stunts.

saturation divers can go to 2000 feet but usually do not go that deep the case rating is basically over engineering so you feel safe doing whatever with ut at depth.

this was what the sub looked like. simple lines no lug guards 38mm almost no text applied lume instead of buckets. I just really prefer classic rolex like i prefer classic omega over modern omega. if you like their new stuff good for you.

It was this jump along with the supercase jump that really ruined it for me.