/ll/ language learning

Because shitposting about learning languages is more important than actually learning them
>I am a monolingual/American, where do I start?
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki
>Languages you speak
>Language you are learning
>Languages you want to learn
Let's try to make this a permanent thread, if there's enough interest I could add ressources for learning the more "mainstream" languages in the OP

As for me
>Know
German (obviously), English and some Russian
>Learning
Not learning one at the moment, I can't decide between a useful language like Spanish or Chinese and a meme language like Finnish
>Want to learn
It's a long list, some of them are
French
Russian (to fluency)
Japanese
Chinese
Portuguese

>Languages you speak
spanish, english, french and some japanese (i don't think i'll ever learn japanese. i've spent 2 years learning the language and i still feel like i don't know shit)
i've been learning german for a couple of weeks now (duolingo + michel thomas)
just german. maybe i'll go back to japanese when i finish college

At least one person replying, I thought I would have to make a "his language doesn't have X" bait thread in order to get people talking about languages
If you learned for 2 years and still know next to nothing you must have not learned enough, why did you stop with Japanese?
How are your german studies going? Do you want to live here or why are you learning it?

>Speak
English 'cause I'm a dumb Ameriburg
>Learning
Korean and Japanese. I KNOW, I KNOW
Just been to both places and the (mild) immersion I experienced has given me a good head start.
>Want to learn
Portuguese, Hungarian, Czech, Russian. Increasing but mild interest in Chinese but it just sounds like poop I don't like any of them ;-;

Hungarian sounds kinda cool but I've heard it's stupid difficult/complicated.

>Languages you speak
Czech, English, German
Still working on German, I am more or less fluent but I suppose I am "only" at C1 so there's still room for improvements
Deciding whether picking up a 4th language at 25 years old would even be worth it... If I ever do it then it's probably Russian, French makes little sense because pretty much every person who speaks French will also speak either Eng or Ger.

Stop the self hate, Ameribro, at least you're trying to escape the meme
How are Japan and worst Korea by the way?

Thanks Hans.
Was only in Japan for 11 days but I volunteered in Fukushima and stayed with a host family. It was awesome and everything was super clean and everyone was really nice.
worst Korea was really fun, I was there for a semester. Not as clean as Japan and the people weren't as outwardly friendly, but I had a good time there. Best subway system in the world, cheap shopping, good food, always something to do. Koreans are good people when they're not being dramatic

Es ist niemals zu spät um eine neue Sprache zu lernen, fang jetzt an, sonst wirst du es eines Tages bereuen

Le radiation meme aside, is Fukushima a nice city? I plan on visiting Japan one day and travel through a dozen or so cities

>language you speak
English
>language you are learning
French
>language you want to learn
Azerbaijani

>Speak
Just English sadly
>Learning
Chinese. I've been to China (and am hoping to go back soon) and spent quite a bit of time in Singapore, so it kind of makes sense to learn it.
>Want to learn
Russian and Spanish

>English, Japanese
>Japanese
>Mandarin, Cantonese, South Korean, Spanish
I can kinda read the newspaper in japanese with the help of a dictionary.

Fukushima City is worth checking out, I think. I wasn't there too often (spent most days in more rural areas) But it's outside the "danger zone".
The citizens are pretty transparent about the whole radiation thing too -- it's the government who tries to cover it up. The Fukushima locals are still affected by shitty radiation stigma so I'm sad for them. But the whole Tohoku region is cool from a historical standpoint, if you're into that kind of thing.

tl;dr yes it's a nice small city and you probably won't get cancer

I should add I can only really read japanese. I can "write" it but my grammar is shit and I can only kinda understand people when they speak.

It sucks learning a language 7k miles from the country itself in a state with next to 0 people who natively speak the language itself

>>Languages you speak
English, Korean, a little Japanese
N/A at this point
Spanish b/c I live in burger and Japanese b/c I am a huge weeb. If I have time Arabic for the pure sake of being a future Sharia judge

it was just a way of saying that the japanese language is so extensive that, even with all the knowledge i've gathered in the two years i spent studying it, there's always more and more things to memorize in order to understand new shit. but my japanese level is ok, i think. i can watch anime and play videogames without needing subtitles. i know that this is a horrible way of measuring my japanese proficiency.
i stopped because i would need to dedicate a huge amount of time in order to truly become good at japanese.
i'm learning german mostly because of the opportunities it brings. and i would like to live in germany, but i'm an insecure manlet.

Being able to play vidya games in your target language is always a good sign
>but i'm an insecure manlet.
so am I, you'll fit right in if you're not brown

Thanks, I'll check it out

I found out a good thing for memorization
Eat really hot peppers and repeat mnemonics over and over until you will never forget them, if the pepper is hot enough the experience will stay with you
This is how I learned which German prepositions take which case.

>I can play video games and watch anime without subtitles

Shit man that's all I'd want. Fuck proficiency.

>Speak
Russian, english, little bit of german (my mother is fluent and teaches me sometimes)
>Learning
About to start italian, mainly for its literary heritage
>Want to learn
Vulgar latin
Korean or Japanese (Chinese sounds like dogshit)

How to deal with genders?

> speak
Яussian, Belaгussian
>learn
English, German
>want to learn
Spanish

Depends, which language?

>Languages you speak
Russian, English
None
None, because no need.

>speak
English, some Spanish, some Irish
>learning
"learning" in the least productive way possible, German and Irish
>want to learn
Norwegian, Gaidhlig

>Languages you speak
Russian, English
None at the moment
Japanese for my degenerate hobbies

>Want to learn
>Russian

Why anons?

French.

>English
>French
More concerned with just keeping up with French. Still pretty nooby tier. My vocab is ahead of my grammar, know around 2000 words (not cheating by simply including every french english loan word) but hardly any grammar. Right now I'm keeping up with vocab and focusing on grammar so I can cement myself and reach the point where I can read more comfortably. I use The Little Prince as a landmark, and pick up vocabulary outside of studying from /fr/ and videogames. Luckily practically every game in english can be played in french.

Feels weird randomly understanding a 20 word sentence with advanced vocabulary perfectly at times and then failing to understand something like, "He jumped over the fox". I'd probably be dealing with this less if I stuck to courses more strictly, but I self study and hop around different sources a lot.