Monitor thread: 1440 vs 2160

Monitor thread: 1440 vs 2160.

Is there any reason to get a 4k monitor?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/lltcggie/waifu2x-caffe/releases
waifu2x.udp.jp/index.de.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

if you are rich go for it people like nice new things

Ultrawide master race.

Why get high resolution when your sacrifice hertz

Not if you like your wallpapers, shows and anime to look sharp, even the best Upscaling algorithms can only do so much. I'm on 1440p and 720p shows already look horrendous.

4k is the future. 1440 is just a meme because current gpu/cpu limitations for gaming

>1440 is just a meme because current gpu/cpu limitations for gaming
Hello 2011

3D, video editing, architecture, CAD, certainly not anime watching, videogames or shitposting, but its ok if you can afford it I guess.

42" 4k masterrace, tons of room to work, tons of screen to watch. I could also go ultra-wide for laughs.

1440 is for 30"
4k is for 23" (better fonts) or 45"

27" 1440p 144hz for muh gaming.
If you dont play games and dont want a grainy film on your monitor get a 4k monitor with good colour reproduction and enjoy.

>Is there any reason to get a 4k monitor?
Not being a damn pleb for example.

Anything better for the price than a LG 27UD58-B?

I currently use 1440@27", works out to 109PPI. I'm happy with that, but I wouldn't want 4K at the same screen size- screen elements would be way too small. (Unless I use HiDPI, in which case I basically have a sharper 1080p screen).

4K at 109PPI means a ~40" screen. I feel like that might be too large unfortunately, in terms of head movement needed. I'm open to being proven wrong on that front. A compromise is 32" = 137PPI. I would have to trial something like that before I bought it to make sure my eyesight is good enough and it wouldn't cause strain.

5K at 27" (HiDPI) would be sweet too but I feel like I would regret any monitor upgrade that doesn't increase my desktop working space (it would stay an effective 1440p).

Well it holds true today. Plenty of builds with a 6700k and a 1080 for the purpose of 1440 at 144hz. No one is doing 4k at 144hz because of both monitor and hardware limitations

Why not just get higher quality media then?

A 22-25 inch 4k display is the only thing worth getting. That way you can run native 4k or 1080p depending on how demanding the task is.

For most tasks I prefer clarity or crispness of an image over motion blur reduction. But I am not much of a twitch gamer so...

And gpu/cpu can easily push 4k @60 in all but the most demanding AAA games.

1080, 1080ti, vega 64 all work when paired with a i7 or r7.

>1440p and 720p shows already look horrendous

What? Thats a 4 to 1 conversion ratio. It should look the same, even better-

Such a large screen would suck for gaming tho. To much of it would be out side of your view.

That and most people aren't playing off 55" TVs from 5' away. 1440 is pretty much the wall of diminishing returns for monitors of a reasonable size sat at a normal distance, and you don't get shit on by poor OS scaling in that case, either. So going above it is without purpose other than diminishing gaming performance.

The higher the pixel density/resolution the better the resolution scaling. 720p looks like shit on 1080p, but 720p and 1080p look ok on 1440p. As the PS4 Pro and Xbone X prove anything 1440p or higher looks fine on a 4k screen.

He probrably uses windows and to be honest it does suck at scaling. Apple had scaling to higher res 1440 and 4k (or at least their retina versions of those resolutions) fixed years ago.

Using a 1440p 23 inch monitor is usable at 100% scaling. But if you set it at anything else, even 200% things get blurry.

I own both (pic related) and they're both 27". 2160p is vastly superior to 1440p in terms of quality when displaying computer graphics, from basic UI all the way to games, it looks amazing. Games are especially impressive because the high DPI makes the monitor really sharp.

With video it's largely irrelevant, video is almost never sharp enough to take advantage of the pixels, even actual 2160p video isn't a huge improvement over very good quality 1080p. Upscaling 720p and 1080p with good algorithms look great, they aren't any worse than on a 1440p display of the same size. 480p (or below) can be somewhat iffy as it requires shitloads of upscaling, but you can get it to look decent (for what it is) if you tweak a bit. 480p is often poor quality in other ways than just resolution if it's old, so that's a factor too.

4k is superior
I got a 1440p screen and it only looks marginally better than my 1080p one.
40% more points and it doesn't look much better.
4k however, actually looks good compared to 1080p or 1440

Shit now I don't know if I should get 1080 or 4k. I want my shows to look good but if upscaling sucks idk.

144hz is there so it doesn't tear like a bitch whenever the game goes past 60

This

If you want to completely avoid tearing you need VSync or Freesync/GSync within their operational ranges. If neither of those are on, you will get tearing no matter what FPS or refresh rate you use.

Most new films and some shows release in 4K. If you use netflix be sure to have windows 10 and a 7th gen intel because judaism n' shit. Or just torrent like a human being.

4K, 1080p video with good upscaling looks completely fine, there is no reason whatsoever to worry about this. Scaling problems are related to software and their UI in general (and they do exist), video has pretty much nothing to do with it.

I kind of regret going to 2k. It's glorious and I can't go back.
Trouble is I want to try a high refresh rate screen but I cant justify the expense of 2k and high refresh rate.

Ultrawide for gaming. 100 hertz and less pixels than 4k.

Don't try 4K then, because the 1080p > 1440p jump is very minor compared to the glory of 1440p > 2160p.

I feel like on a computer monitor there are so many things you'd want to look at before 4k.

The panel type is pretty important. VA panels have amazing contrast and good color fidelity. IPS panels have the best color fidelity and good contrast. TN panels are terrible across the board but they're the most responsive panels.

For fast paced gaming, 144hz and good response time is a way better perk than resolution, color and contrast. TN panels are king here because of their response times.

I'd take a 1080p/1440p IPS/VA @ 144hz over a 4k monitor @ 60hz any day.

Freesync/Gsync can be nice to have as well on mid-tier PCs.

4k, no question. Think not only about current content, but content in 5 years. You want 4k.

But that won't change the fact that most shows have horrible encoding, with low bitrates, of course it also depends on the viewing distance. But yes you are actually right.

Fuck off Apple shill, Windows scales fine, it just always looks better having high resolution source media. Also Windows has not that much to do with what scaling algorithms a video player uses, except you use the Movie & TV app BY Microsoft.

Well it's a good thing then that most 144hz monitors are either gsync or freesync innit

When They mske a 4k High Refresh Rate monitor ill buy one

Sure movies and tv will look nice but I have a 8K TV for that.

60hz is shite for gaming

1440p 165Hz is all i need baby

OK guys i have a task for you.

I have an unlimited budget.

I need 2 monitors.

Please no curved memes.

You don't "sacrifice hertz", because high res monitors can down-scale.

>even actual 2160p video isn't a huge improvement over very good quality 1080p
I notice the difference easily

Which one?

Is there an all around great 25or 27inches 1440p(or more)@120(or more)hz ips monitor for less than 600$?
Every time I watch a review for one of them, there is always a problem like backlighting or bad colors.

I notice the difference too, but the improvement is much larger in games, which look incredibly sharp and have very little visible aliasing even without any AA at all. It's an absolutely huge leap. Even font rendering looks much, much better. Video is improved, sure, but it's not a huge leap like it is for computer-generated graphics which normally suffer from aliasing.

I dont know if theres a high refresh rate / low input lag 4k monitor, is there? My Korean IPS (PVA) is 1440p at 96Hz with minimal input lag. Is there a 4k monitor that can do 96Hz and has minimal input lag?

720p scales perfectly on a 1440p, you duntz

>1440 is for 30"
>4k is for 23"

you are reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetarded

110dpi is a meme, I can still see the pixels on my 1440p monitor.

>upscaling a wallpaper
come on, you cant be that much of a failure

Is there any reason to get a 1440p when the new de facto standard after 1080p will be 4K ?

Either the PG279Q or the XB271HU probably. The Acer one is probably better when it comes to things like backlight bleeding but the ASUS one doesn't look retarded.

You might be able to get either of them under 600$ if you find them at a discount, but very, very unlikely.

1080p is unusable garbage for productivity. an old ass 1600x1200 os better than 1080p shit

1440p at least gives you an acceptable amount of vertical space. theres literally no comparison between 1080 and 1440. 1080 is garbage, 1440 is good

Model?

>2k

if youre calling 2560x1440 2k, please just stop. Its ok if you wanna call it 2.5k, but 2k is just plain wrong

Gaming obviously. Also if you want to watch/edit 1080p content in a window instead of fullscreen.

does that exist? i mean, im pretty happy with my 1440p at 96Hz, but I would certainly love more

No high refresh rate yet, some Acer and Asus monitors with the same AUO panel coming in 2018 supposedly. 144Hz, HDR, GSync, 384 zone FALD, some VA or IPS variant, don't know for sure. Caveat is that it doesn't support DP1.4 stream compression, so there isn't enough bandwidth to run 144Hz and full color, so if you want that you have to drop to shit-tier 4:2:2 or 4:2:2 which look like absolute ass with finely detailed computer generated images (i.e. any text on your screen). Depending on whether you use HDR/10b or just 8b color, they should run at lower refresh rate and get full color. IIRC the math comes around to ~100Hz or something, too lazy to do it now.

Input lag shouldn't be a major problem, there are 4K screens out there which fall

>because high res monitors can down-scale.
unless you have a monitor without a scaler. my korean ips does not have a scaler. thats why it has amazingly low input lag

3440x1440 is the only way to go

4K is a meme unless you deal with something like photo editing

You might want a TV for 4K but then again not much is supporting it.

>there are 4K screens out there which fall

1080p was shit the moment it was released. A 1600x1200 display is superior to 1080p garbage.

1440p is amazing to this day.

Input lag, yes. Response time is around the fairly typical 5ms GtG for most 4K IPS screens IIRC.

user pls. github.com/lltcggie/waifu2x-caffe/releases

what the shit is this

i set my wallpaper with hsetroot, and i never change the scaling

A neural network-based image upscaler, mostly for weeb stuff. You can try out their website. waifu2x.udp.jp/index.de.html

>weeb stuff
so a vector format? yeah i guess that should upscale fine

I sit a bit further away than from my old screens.

LG 43UD79. Quite nice for its price, if you can ignore the edge shadows that show when you're sitting too close.