So is Ryzen actually future proofing with games requiring more cores or is it just meme since bulldozer?

So is Ryzen actually future proofing with games requiring more cores or is it just meme since bulldozer?

There's no such thing as future proofing

Ryzen isnt for gaming.

>muh gaymen
The only future proof that ryzen brings is the demise of Intel.

it is a meme. pls buy intel

Yes. Moar coars is the future. There is literally no other path

It's close enough in IPC to the intel parts to not matter much.
But if intel also goes to 6-8 cores, then it will be worth to port the console versions more directly, as they NEED to be optimized for 8 cores.

VLIW?

Depends on if you trust AMD to keep up the pace with Intel in the CPU market and actually keep making more powerful CPU's for the AM4 socket that can consistently compete with Intel in the future.

Not a meme. Intel's starting to understand about requiring more cores in the future. Aa a response to Ryzen, Covfefe Lake is added with more cores.

>more powerful CPU's for the AM4 socket
why does the socket matter? i mean, comparing to intel, where every other generation introduces a new socket...

Ryzen us multi usage CPU. It's for rendering, video editing, programming, and some gaming. I'm very happy with my 1700x and I wouldn't ever buy a 7700k.

I remember the days when everything was one core - one thread CPUs, and when the introduced the first dual core we had the same naysayers screeching to the hills about gimmicks & such because nothing was programmed for two whole cores.
Fast forward a pair of decades and we have the same naysayers.
Yes, getting the "best" now will tide you over for a while. Just like how buyers of Intel i7-2600k cpu's were practically future proofed until the CPUs released in 7nm (2019) finally gives them a real reason to update.

But it was marketed to gamers.

If there's any reason Ryzen is futureproofed it's because Intel is moving to 6 cores soon, so game developers won't have any excuses.

Friendly reminder that Intel supports Feminist Frequency.

Nobody will EVER need more than four cores.

Even if the only thing AMD ever release for AM4 in the future is the exact same CPUs on a 7nm process that can clock to Intel-esque speeds, it'll still be one of the greatest platforms ever released. The cores and the IPC are already there. The current 14nm process that's designed for ~3GHz clocks is all that's holding Ryzen back.

t. Itanium

Yeah you shall go to v to discuss video game related issues

Intel "supports" anything that gives em good PR.

The R7 is like the Q6600 all over again, by the time games actually make use of the cores the CPU it self will be too slow to be useful.

I could see the R5 1600/X being fully utilized in it's lifetime though.

Faggots keep talking about consoles having 8 cores. Consoles have 8 weak ass cores and not all 8 can be utilized for games. With intel's coffeelake at 6 cores, games will start using 6 cores but that won't be anywhere near the norm before DDR5 platforms are common place.

It takes years to develop a game engine and subsequent games. Just like it takes years after a new direct X comes out for games to utilize it. Hell we still don't have true DX 12 developed games yet, just a bunch of DX11 games with DX12 gimmicks tacked on and DX12 games are supposed to make CPUs matter even less.

Now if you're doing any rendering or other shit professionally you would be on HEDT platforms and not AM4 so fuck you faggot streaming hipsters who think otherwise.

yes.

AM4 will last 3 more years. So you don't have to buy a new motherboard for every generation like on jewtel.

Bulldozer sucked because it had garbage IPC and most programs couldn't even use all the cores due to two cores sharing the same pipeline. Ryzen actually is competitive with IPC and it's much easier for programs to take advantage of all its cores.

Ryzen is barely behind intel on IPC, offers way more cores/threads for the money, the socket will be supported for the next few iterations and AMDs coming 7nm mode is announced to improve performance, whereas Intels coming 10nm node is announced to reduce performance.

you can use 7 cores of the consoles. And the large engines already scale reasonably well beyond 8 threads. Game devs aren't aiming for 4/6/8/16 threads anyways since their game has to run on the piece of shit that the majority of people use to play games on. One of the reasons why sound design in modern games is so shit and EAX is still not surpassed by the way. They simply don't want to waste CPU ressources on it

Cofee Lake 8700 will obliterate Ryzen as gaming cpu.

8700 will be 1600 level performance at a 100+ higher price.

No

>gaymemes

you want jewtel, go discuss here:

Huge improvement over the older i5 that g used to meme.

It's amazing and cheap to boot.

Only downside is finnicky with memory but that's more of the fault of ram manufacturing than it is infinity fabric itself.

Hopefully ram prices decrease but I doubt it

Ok Shlomo sorry for offending you please don't jail me for anti-semitism.

Yeah..no

>Threadripper now dominates the HEDT market
>Epyc now dominates the server market
>Raven Ridge will dominate the mobile market
>yfw gaymen is the only thing intel has left
6GHz dual-core pentium when?

When you look at sales figures, market share, AMD doesn't dominate anything

I like not having to close every other program while playing vidya, though.

7700 is already better than 1600. 8700 has better clocks and more cores.
>100+ higher price
Yeah, because Intel doesn't need those expensive mobos and 3200+ RAM to just fucking work, right?

>AM4
>expensive mainboards
>requiring 3200+RAM
user pls

100% meme

>Expensive mobos.
>3200+ RAM.
I take it you are used to talking out of your ass right?, there are boards cheaper than the fucking ram you'll install in it.
>7700 is better
Yeah single core performance only, and the 1600 hundred has 2 cores and 4 threads over the juden cpu.

Single core and anything that doesn't leverage more than 4c/8t, so yeah basicaly 90% of everything

There is, you buy intel then laugh at AMD for a decade then wait for their next major breakthrough in architecture for the next decade.

>what are laptops

t. sopa delicia

do they outdo a i7-4790k single core speed?

>He doesn't transcode.
>He doesn't multi task.
>He doesn't transcode while playing games.
>He doesn't compress and decompress or even pirate repacks.

You don't even need the 7700.

>intel 7700k
>gaming
>spotify change music or page auto refresh
>stutters

but he does play games user, he NEEDS those 5 extra fps at 230+fps on his 60hz monitor, you just don't understand

gamers are stupid

>What is raven ridge

Dunno never heard of it mate

>Raven Ridge
AMD has a LONG way to go to gain back mobile marketshare. Intel completely raped AMD in low power for years and even if mobile Ryzen is good Intel is still competitive, everyone has been reacting positively to Intel's new KL mobile chips.

The NPT bug means Ryzen is worthless.

Same can be said about any cpu market but we see amds swift recovery

Even the case badges made by AMD possess infinitely more finesse than those made by intel

Considering that Zen is inherently efficient, I think that Raven Ridge will bring a great blow to Intel mobile marketshare.
And if Apple adopts Raven Ridge for their Macbooks, Intel is pretty, pretty fucked.

Multi-year support for AM4 is the best thing Ryzen has going for it assuming they don't pull some Intel mobo chipset bullshit

What NPT bug?

if AMD doesn't drop the ball hard they have some really interesting stuff coming up for the forseeable future. Once HBM prices drop they could sell a SoC with HBM as RAM and good enough GPU performance to make a dedicated GPU useless for the mobile market. Apple and others making small form factor notebooks would queue up for something like that

A bug in software virtualization that will get resolved soon with epyc adoption.

AMD is doing well in sales, marketshare can change quickly in a rapidly fluctuating market.
>7700 is already better than 1600
I hope you're talking about K-series, and only talking about CPU bottlenecked gaming, because otherwise lol
>expensive mobos
Hahaha no, B250 boards are cheap. Z270 are the expensive ones.
>and 3200+ RAM
Barely $15-$20 more expensive than the cheapest 2133 MHz speed RAM.
>This very obscure specific use case that only I use means Ryzen is worthless
lol.

>goodbye to optimus and shitty and hot dGPU in notebooks
Welcome to the era of external GPUs and great performance on the road.
Future seems great.

Bug in software. Will be solved soon.

I don't think you understand what IPC means ....
And no Intel is leading on Pure MeH GHZ merit alone.

They're advertising it as using the extra cores for streaming or some job running in the background while you play a game. It's still single thread performance that dictates performance in games.

Moore's Law is dead. All hail cores.

Since intel is going moar coars is there a point to buying an intel, or amd cpu today?

>moar coars that perform less
>moar coars means less single coar performance in intel case
>moar coars that needs more gigawatts than a Delorean with two flux capacitors
>all with a nice overcharge
AMD is the way to go.

if you're buying today amd might be a better buy, check benchmarks for specific games and programs you use. Intel has tons of new stuff coming out to respond to Ryzen but it might suck also it's expensive. You definitely don't need an i9 just to game.

So no just wait for intel's next series of cpu?

Wait for a new architecture with their fabs sold to GloFo.

If I'm buying today it would have to be the 7700k for me, but the 8th gen cpus are almost here, so I'm waiting.

This, wait for ryzen2 to release with oc to 5ghz across 8 cores.

Amd motherboards are cheaper than Intel ones by $50-100. And 3200 ram is just better regardless of what cpu you pair it with.

There's been basically no movement or attention given to this bug. The bug tracker's basically dead aside from a few "me too" posts. AMD hasn't said anything about it.

people have been saying games are going to use more cores for like 6 years already.

I remember this exact thing still happening when I bought my first quadcore. Guess whose CPU lasted for a ridiculous long time? :^)

It's "future proof" in that the AM4 socket is confirmed to support Zen+ as well as Zen 2. It's also "future proof" in that the trend is to move towards more cores / threads, but that takes awhile. Adored.tv did a video where he showed the faildozer """8"""-core behind the 2500k at launch, but eventually faildozer equaled its performance in certain scenarios with newer games.

If AM4 future-proofing interests you, go for Ryzen now. We all know Jewtel is going to make you buy new boards in the future for damn near every revision.

Gayman is the only reason to go Intel.

no it wasnt

>will get resolved soon with epyc adoption.
Sauce on this? AMD has been silent on this from what I've seen. Have they finally confirmed that they will resolve this?

can someone explain to why uses a different socket for every fucking processor?

judaism

because their CPUs aren't SoCs yet and they sell the chipsets for the mainboards. More mainboards sold=more cash for intel

The fact that ryzen is a true SoC is often overlooked by Sup Forums. The biggest advantage of it is you don't NEED an x370 board to get basically all of the I/O ryzen offers natively because the chipset does fuckall. This has the added advantage of upgrade paths - namely you don't get jewed by the need for newer chipsets precisely because the cpu is handling it all.

It only exists on some of the chips produced before the 25th week of production and is an issue that only crops up on Linux operating systems. If you have the bug you can RMA your chip.

If you had actually been paying attention youd have known all of this.

You would

>Intel "supports" anything that gives em good PR.
This. They'd support the rape of there own family if it gave them good PR

Different bug. I'm asking about the amd npt bug.

if an algorithm needs a lot of cores to run, then it would just use the GPU
All the CPU needs are 4 fast cores, it doesn't need more.

technically AM4 boards don't even ahve a chipset, as in north and southbridge. They call it I/O bridge i think, all it does is provide some additional I/O functionality

If you are doing professional work you probably have a mac. Certainly NOT HEDT custom builts.

bullshit.

Is this irony, or are you just brain damaged?

No it fucking wasn't

>people have been saying games are going to use more cores for like 6 years already.
>You'll never need 8gbs

sause on 3200Mhz ram so i can get some for my 1600x

Yes it fucking was. At least try to wait a few years before you try to rewrite something that just happened.

The same meme as bulldozer
AMD has been strong with the paid shills this time

hol up, lemme DL speccy so i can grab a shot with my 1950X

*Until Intel tells you that you do, then it suddenly matters.

>coffee lake