A while back I slammed my brakes on the highway, and it seemed like my brakes gave out...

A while back I slammed my brakes on the highway, and it seemed like my brakes gave out. I had to push the pedal all the way to the floor to feel anything, but they still worked, as long as I basically floored the brakes

well today my truck felt the same, my brakes suddenly gave out, and I have to push the brake all the way to the floor to stop, and even then it doesnt stop very quickly.

Its at the mechanic now, but what is going on? I always thought it leaked all the brake fluid and some sort of backup cable mechanism was operating it or something. I guess thats not a thing? If I truly ran out of fluid, would the car be able to stop at all using the brakes?

BTW, tried posting on /o/, but it said my ISP was blocked

I made a thread in /o/ for you

thanks buddy

brakes need some attention

if you don't change some parts every x miles you start destroying the disc

and by not changing a simple part you now have to change the whole disc that is never supposed to have a change

the culprit is your utter ignorance

>says a bunch of nonsensical shit
>calls someone else ignorant

cool story bruh

>brake discs are never supposed to be changed

You definitely popped a brake line, ive done the same.
Your remaining brake pressure is due to one line that's separate from the others but doesnt have a lot of pressure.
It was enough to get me home a few miles.

you brakes are dead its fucking obvious once the fade becomes obvious enough you know its time to change the plates preferably made by a material that can withstand the weight of your car..

You are a cool cat.

Holy shit are you retarded?

Front and rear brakes each have a separate reservoir. The 2 chambers on the top of you''re master cylinder. Your brake warning light on your dash is activated by a pressure differential switch.

>once the fade becomes obvious enough you know its time to change the plates
your reading comprehension, where is it
>my brakes suddenly gave out

theres nothing wrong with my pads or rotors (lol plates).

Service your car, asshole. A thread died for your broken brakes.

over 75% of americans live paycheck to paycheck. theres a whole list of shit my trick needs, that I simply cannot afford. The brakes worked 100% fine up until today. I was just almost caught up on my normal bills/utilities, and now im back behind again

When I get my taxes back, I will have $3500 available to repair my truck. Ive only had this vehicle for like 6 months and Ive already done clutch master cylinder, spring mounts, and throttle position sensor

get off my fucking back. GET OFF!

oh ive also had the exhaust repaired

Wow, that's pretty unlucky

i bought the truck with the broken exhaust and spring mount. tps caused horrible lurching like a month after i bought it, but it still drove. cheap and easy fix. the clutch master cylinder made it undrivable and i had to get it towed. the rod that the clutch pedal pushed snapped, which is part of the master cylinder. makes me wanna consider a cable clutch for my next vehicle

Download Mint and track every penny you make and spend. I make minimum wage and smoke weed everyday like it's my birthday and I can still afford to live reasonably. Usually your biggest expense is food. Once you start to meal prep, you will find a lot more money in your bank.

As you lose fluid you lose pressure on the brakes.

The larger the leak/loss of fluid the faster you will lose pressure
And of course the most pressure is generated when you press you foot on the brake itself, it is possible to have a small leak in the line somewhere that leaks very very slowly, until you press the brake and suddenly squirts fluid

> sort of backup cable mechanism was operating it or something
thats kind of what your handbrake is but it is only for the rear wheels iirc

sounds like you bought a shit car

Maybe you have a vacuum leak? Some brakes are vacuum assisted.

Well my biggest expense is obviously rent but yes next up would be food. Do you live alone? I bring home about $1600 per month, and I spend about $970 on rent+electricity. $70 on phone, $100 on car insurance, maybe $130 on gas, $60 on energy drinks, $120 on drugs, and the remainder on food ($150).

actually i do spend more on food, which is how I get behind

>sounds like you bought a shit car
well it was only $1500 and its a 4 wheel drive pickup truck with the most reliable gasoline engine ever created

That camel looks smug

OP: Are you sure you didn't just trigger the ABS? Did the brake pedal vibrate?

the brake pedal went all the way to the floor and the vehicle barely stopped. i had to swerve over a lane to avoid hitting the guy in front of me. i was only doing maybe 30mph, nothing crazy. then the brakes would make thud noises and squeeling noises all the way to the mechanic. i drove real slow and used engine braking.

I think a caliper literally broke off or something. the noises the brakes were making were pretty incredible

>The brakes worked 100% fine up until today
>I had no problems until I did
Have fun getting your ass reamed by the mechanics. At least you get to drive a rental for a bit

>he fell for the moving out meme
It's literally impossible to remove yourself from the financial security blanket of your parent's household and not sink into massive debt.

ive had the same mechanic for 10 years now. and despite my lack of knowledge on hydraulic brake design, i am plenty knowledgeable in other areas of car mechanics. I cant work on vehicles at my apartment, and I dont have any other place I could do work. I literally almost never bring a vehicle to my mechanic without *me* telling him the exact problem, and I bring my own parts and have him install them. When I had my clutch master cylinder replaced, he fixed the electrical switch for my clutch for free without me even mentioning it, preventing me from having to mash the pedal to the floor every time I have to start the vehicle.

I will not be getting a rental.

Ive lived alone for 8 years. Im literally only like $200 behind on shit

If you were to become seriously injured through no fault of your own, you would become bankrupt almost immediately.
You are not financially stable or secure.

this is literally how the average american lives. what do you expect me to do about it? join the french foreign legion to become a citizen of a country that wont let you go bankrupt over medical expenses? or maybe I could just pay some Canadian chick that $3500 I get back from taxes to marry me to become a Canadian citizen

Maybe you should have some fucking savings instead of living beyond your means and carrying a balance every month.

you dont know what has happened in my life to lead up to the point where im at. so seriously, fuck off

over 50% of americans are in the exact same situation as me financially also.

Maybe you shouldn't have moved out at 18 lol

Brakes are like the cheapest thing to replace on your car other than oil, I spend more on fucking windshield wiper blades each year.

I didnt move out at 18. Remember when I said you dont know what has happened in my life? Its true, and these random pot shots attempts of yours are proof that you dont know what youre talking about.

but go ahead, say something else autistic. then go tell your mom about it, shes in like the next room over from you right? and then she can make you your tendies and you can all laugh about how awesome you are for choosing to stay living with your mother

Youre talking about replacing routine wear items such as pads and rotors. My truck did not need new pads or rotors. My truck had a catastrophic brake failure

If a caliper is broken, those are pretty expensive.

>I bring home about $1600 per month
>$70 on phone
>$60 on energy drinks
>$120 on drugs
What am I reading

stupid millennial can't into budgeting

>guys if my brake fluid leaks out how do my brakes still function?

>but why you drinking a Monster every morning tho?

>my brakes suddenly gave out, and I have to push the brake all the way to the floor to stop, and even then it doesnt stop very quickly.
nice truck of peace ahmed.

Dude, just...
-ditch the energydrinks, buy caffeine pills from pharmacy
-do meal prep, there is a video series on jewtube called "big on a budget" where bodybuilders prep meals with 50-60-70$/week. Since you propably are normal sized you can copy those vids and make a 50$/week budget last for almost two weeks and still get all necessary nutrients to function normally

>$120 on drugs

If you're talking about illegal substances then you should probably cut that out.

legal drugs. i dont do any illegal substances, for professional reasons

Just drop the oxycontin bro, it's a scam and you know it

I dunno where you live but you should seriously consider looking to move. I was paying $700/m for utilities included rent, granted I had to pay for internet, but it was $30/m and cell at $45/m. I pay $80/w for food though.

Consider a VNO for your cell, they're effectively the same service with some caveats, some even offer great business deals if you can get an employee identification number you can get extremely cheap service.

He meant rotors

kratom

i am moving when my lease is up. i had extenuating circumstances which rushed me into my current apartment. as for the cell, i have a good thing going because it hooks up to my router via usb tethering and thats how I get internet in my apartment on my desktop/laptop. I get good pings gaming (70ms -110ms) and download speed is like 3.5MB/s, which is enough to download entire seasons of TV shows in reasonable amounts of time

>brake rotors are never supposed to be changed

i let my brother use my car once to do his pizza delivery job and when i tried to use my car later that day the brakes were fucked like that . The rear drum brakes fucked were cracked open and that shit leaked all the fluid.

atm i should change the front pads n rotors too but im not because i have really bad feeling and scared ness and laziness to take the car anywhere and id try it myself but no where to do it. A sucker like me shouldnt own a car but i do fuck it

03 saturn L200 with about 126k on it

EXCUSE ME!
This is Sup Forums not /o/
This has nothing to do with computers, Nothing to do with programming, Nothing to do with Operating Systems, Why the fuck is this here?!?!
Go back to /o/ or /weabo/

lick my ass bitch

they last a long time if you take care of them

This is happening randomly? If so, it's your master cylinder. Pretty easy fix if you can afro-engineer a way to bleed the cylinder by yourself after you get it installed. Would've saved you the $150 in labor the tech is gonna charge you.

Source: I'm ASE certified for brakes and suspension.

youre not serious, are you?

no, its not happening randomly. brakes worked fine for 6 months, then today suddenly the pedal went all the way to the floor and gave me like not even 10% braking power I normally have. and every time i would brake i would hear loud klunks and a squeeling. I drove at about 20mph to my mechanic and used engine braking when I needed to stop, only using the actual brake when it was about to stall from the engine braking

im guessing caliper exploded and pissed out a bunch of brake fluid

>automobiles
>not technology

Oh sorry. I understood it as it was shitting out every 10th pump or so, not just completely quitting today. Could have lost a caliper seal or a line or really anything. Have to pull everything apart and look for fluid then. It's also possible, but unlikely, a pad disintegrated. At least you're safe.

how is that possible? i heard that everyone there earns over $100k per year.

Sup Forums is not /prog/, computer technology is only a small subset of technology

at least its not another gpu or cpu shill thread

average is like $35k - $40k i think

Ahh, guess I wasnt too clear, in the OP I was talking about 2 different vehicles. A car I had years ago and my current truck. The car was just a brake like bursting, but it didnt make any funny noises like the truck is now. But I was just really curious how these vehicles were still able to have some brake power left if the fluid leaked out. And I guess the answer is there is still some residual fluid in the lines, and some brakes are isolated from other ones as well