Just learned about Linux and I'm going to install it

Just learned about Linux and I'm going to install it
What am I in for?

install gentoo

disappointment

t. linux user

Get a widely used distro.
The more community support you have, the better.

Great time if you like CLI, the Unix philosophy, getting software from repos, being in charge of your system etc.

A disappointment if you're a kid and want video games.

Same here
I went back to Windows 10

sudo apt-get install xonotic

Assuming you can git gud.

Install gentoo

You'll only miss vidya (if you do that). Its very easy for everything; there will be no red tape, nothing that you can't modify or create.

for a treat if you like programming, since you can do anything you want
no gentoo, we don't want you suiciding, thats for Sup Forums not Sup Forums

>anything you want

except use the best IDE on the market

If it's a distro that is already packed together you'll have a big problem with package managing and making sure everything is compatible, constant backtracking and thousands of errors is a daily sight
If it is a distro you have to install manually you get all that and as an added bonus you have to spend 5 hours installing the distro and another 10 hours to get all the packages working

if you're a brainlet or someone who gives up whenever you hit a wall: Hell
if you like the occasional problem that gives you satisfaction after fixing it, as well as using a system that actual respects you: Heaven

It's a rabbit hole. Remember these words in a couple years when you're using TempleOS unironically as your daily driver.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

the board that likes their super kawaii slice of life anime is too grown up for videogames

Reading manuals.

anime was not mentioned

Run a live version of it for fucks sake. Don't just install something. Run it in a vm maybe. Good lord.

I'll give you a serious answer.

before you install it you have to have a backup of your data. make sure you have a backup of Windows and the drivers you need. this is just in case you don't like Linux.

but even before that...try it out. head over to ubuntu.com and download the DVD image. burn it to a DVD and boot to it. you can also make a liveUSB. there are tutorials online.

when you use Linux in a live CD environment, like I mentioned above, you won't have to remove Windows or make changes to your machine. its like test driving a car.

keep in mind that some things in Linux will be the same. you'll have firefox. you'll have VLC for video and music. there are tons of programs to choose from but these are mostly alternatives to Windows programs.

if you have a specific program you use on Windows check to see if it runs on Linux. it is a different system and will not run Windows software just like you can't run Android apps on an iPhone.

Linux is an open system that lets you get under the hood and fix any potential problems you might find. if you don't like the idea of using a command line then don't bother with Linux.

ubuntu is a version of Linux that is very user friendly but in some cases you'll need to use the command line to resolve your issues. I can't stress this enough. If you don't want to learn new things then start with what you know.

gaming:
you can get steam on Linux and there are a few good indie games that run on it. more games are coming out for Linux though. it will not have as many games as Windows.

security:
Linux is designed to be secure and is arguably more secure than Windows. that doesn't make you untouchable. just like Windows users are told not to use the administrative account neither should a Linux user unless you know what you're doing.

hardware compatibility:
Linux supports lots of old and new hardware but it's always good to make sure that certain things are compatible. the live cd is good for this.

Basically even the most simple task like updating drivers is going to be a roll of the dice, be prepared.

All expect only half of your software to work. Forget about gaming if you participate in that.