PMP thread

To anyone that actually still uses pmps are they worth it? Is the battery life and audio experience that much better than a modern cell phone? Kind of interested in picking something up

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPod-Classic-5th-Generation-Black-60-GB-Seller-Refurbished-MP3-/172845435364?epid=49295614&hash=item283e6409e4:g:3XEAAOSw2xRYhTNC
imgur.com/a/FuRXI
iflash.xyz/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Audio is a matter of diminishing returns, I would say portable audio is definitely unable to rival a solid home setup, so it depends on how anal you want to be. Phone audio is definitely ok, I suggest you get a good earpiece before considering a music player.

Get headphones that support aptX for outside use. Use a portable DAC for your laptop. End of story.

Got a shanling m1 the other week. I just wanted something separate from my phone for battery reasons.

The sound quality is probably better but only because I'm willing to store more on the pmp and I'm not streaming anything.

Not a lifechanger but whatever.

they have their place, primarily with joggers

Reminder that having a touchwheel is shit, and if your PMP has buttons near the touchwheel then your a fucking faggot for buying it.

I was considering this for running/general outside use, how is the batt life?

>audio quality
like you'll get that from any portable device
>battery life
mine lasts about 16 hours from a rechargeable AAA

but really "it's not a phone" is an advantage all on its own.

Depends on the player. If you want something for exercising just get the cheapest smallest shit you can. Battery life won't be a concern and it'll be more comfortable than a phone.

Where do you guys buy them? Amazon, Newegg or just straight up chink sites?

I like my ZuneHD, it's a shame I need to have a full vm just to sync it. I do enjoy the hd radio it has in it.

resellers on ebay mostly

>battery life
Some players like the Cowon Plencue D can last for several days of continuous playback. Other players have less battery than a standard smartphone.
>Audio experience
It's a roulette. As it turns out, it's really easy to make a electronic device that is free of audible defects is this day and age. The iPhone 6S was better than average. LG V20 and the Axon 7 are much closer to the top.
The issue is supplying a good amount of voltage to the headphone so it can play out loud, and not destroying the battery charge in the process.

These days, you have to decide why you don't want to use a phone for your audio purposes and pick based on that. Size, battery life, voltage, etc.

What are some good PMP's for less than $100?

Can I install Spotify on one?

fiio x1 probably

Does the player in your picture support faster playback (like 2x)?

I am looking for a PMP that has either a click wheel or touch screen (not clicking a billion times a button to choose a song) AND that can play files at faster speed.

Cy, FiiO's X7 and poweramp

I got a nintaus x10 and its okay. For some reason it won't display album art on some albums.

is that the best I can get for the price range of $45-$65?

thoughts on getting a fully refurbished Ipod classic 5th gen off ebay?

I picked up my 6th gen 160gb ipod classic off of Craigslist for 60 freedom points and I'm happy with it

if your looking at chinese pmp in that price range then they're basically the same shit in different casing, so pick your poison. the fucking uis are atrocious.

anyway i'd recommend a bejie t6, it may get rockbox support if your into that thing.

that one any good? my cousin gave me his working 5th gen classic then LCD went bad. Bought the replacement online and fucked up bigtime accidentally breaking the battery clip on logic board. It's been sitting for years, they have some nice ones on ebay with new front/backplate,battery for reasonable price
>ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPod-Classic-5th-Generation-Black-60-GB-Seller-Refurbished-MP3-/172845435364?epid=49295614&hash=item283e6409e4:g:3XEAAOSw2xRYhTNC

5/5.5 gen ipods are regarded highly for their Wolfson DACs. Putting Rockbox on it expands the file types you can use/doesn't force you to use iShit. Gonna SSD/battery mod mine, but I'm a confirmed turboautist when it comes to portable audio stuff.

i dont remember it running slow, aside from minimal 30gb (which is far more than enough for me) what benefits of ssd don't imagine it'd run much faster? it's about 180 bucks for one with ssd installed

It's apart of my EDC and I haven't had any problems with it. If you can get the replacement parts for the ipod cheaper than a new one i would just grow a pair and fix it yourself.
my clipsport fried in my car, which i used to listen to music off of in my car. Is the UI for pic related really that shitty or is it just switching it to english that's shitty? I don't want to be fucking around with shit while I'm driving

It isn't so much for the read/write speed as it is for the capacity. You get a much better size/space ratio using SSDs especially mSATA drives. When most of your files are flac, you need more space.

I use my Benjie T6 PMP all the time and to me it's totally worth having one.

I guess it's different if you're the type that never leaves home without a phone. To me it's partly about form factor, it's just a whole lot smaller if you're going for a walk or lifting or something like that.

There is also the piece of mind aspect compared to a phone, people can't call you and there's no notifications or other things that bug you.

That does look nice. Very nice.

I got mine on AliExpress. You can get the same players on EPray too but their buyer protection is a bit worse.

Check the resolution of the album art images. Different players will have different limits for how big it can be in resolution.

>a bejie t6, it may get rockbox support
Seems unlikely and there is no such thing right now and it seems far, far away.

If you're considering this player then be aware that the most annoying aspects of it is

a) it does NOT play Opus audio files. NO. It does, unlike a lot of other PMPs, have support for 24-bit 48000 flac files (Ruizu 02 and most cheaper ones don't play above 16 bit 44100).
b) The battery life on it really is a bit on the short side, like 10-12 hours. A lot of common cheap ones do like 20 hours (like Ruizu 02) but they would have a worse DAC.

I did test out different resolutions for the album art but it would randomly display album art. It's not big deal to me.

>To anyone that actually still uses pmps are they worth it?
Certainly.

Just got an iPod Mini, waiting for the replacement HDD cable then I'm popping in a 64GB SD card

Where do you Sup Forumsuys download your music from? Is it even worth switching from spotify to 'audio files'. It feels so 'analog' to manually download your music now days...

I rip a lot of mine myself, then I've got some stuff from What.CD, and the rest is from TPB and KAT

Soulseek is all you need

I'm sold. Time to get me a PMP.

Can someone recommend me a PMP that supports vorbis?

Xduoo X3 maybe

Rockboxed iPod

a good pmp with a good battery life can be top tier shit. My bro bought an ipod nano 6 gen and he left it in his coat's pocket and forgot about it for a good month. When found it it still had battery and was only in sleep mode.

there is no phone that can rival fiio x1 atm in terms of quality, when it qualifies as an entry (probably) level dap. So yeah. If you are not deaf you'll hear the difference.

Can confirm, the plenue D has god tier battery, portability and durability.
Too bad the UI is unresponsive unusable dogshit.

Thinking of picking up one of these (Fiio X1). Anyone have any experience with one? Are there any better options around that price point?

Bretty good, playback management is not very good though

Walnut V2S or Zishan Z2 if you want look classy as fuck

Iv'e been wanting to get one but can't seem to get my hands on the first generation X1. The 2nd gen has a full glass face, drop it once and your fucked.

Still use a sandisk clip in my car. Physical buttons is the bee's knees

Nice, I have the bigger brother cause I needed more power. It's such a versatile little device.

I think I'll probably get one of those, battery life looks pretty okay on both

are those shure? they any good?

Tennmak pro

Is sound quality decent? Looking for something to use while running (if they can survive that)

Why don't you own a Sony NWZ-A15?

40-50 hour battery life, expandable storage, physical buttons, sounds fantastic has a great screen and it's getting Rockbox.

Rockboxed iPod 5.5g here.
Got it cheap, decent DAC though lacks power

Here is some photos:

imgur.com/a/FuRXI

nice bread. true audiophiles itt.

what's your main OS? there's instructions out there for Windows 10, if that's what you're using

How is the battery life on this one?

I'd like to get the A35 or AK Jr. Sorry for the blog post.

Debian

Is this thing any decent? I keep hearing its basically as good as the clip+

Got one last month when my Clip Zip shit the bed, it's been pretty alright so far. The menu can be a tad obnoxious though.

Looks almost exactly like the ruizu x26

damn that walnut looks like a tank, love the look of these things

It's a rebrand.

I have the Fiio X1 and its the greats pmp ive ever owned. plays flac, 128gb sd card i can switc out whenever. i love it

What do you think about the Sony Walkman NW-A35 (pic related)?
About to pull the trigger on this one since it has a touchscreen + physical buttons which makes file browsing much easier (for me at least).

FUCK IT'S GOD DAMN SEXY

Dumb, get one with a broken HDD and fix it.

Still rocking my nwz e444, quite comfy

Looks like a meme look into the fiio players

too damn expensive

yet so good, got to try one out in Best Buy

I think, it's a best /PMP/ form factor.

1. no cripple color screen (if player has a big screen, it's not a fuckin portable)
2. psysical buttons (i can use it blindly in my pocket)
3. have a normal USB port.

Audiofags fuck off. I listen music, not equipment.

I picked one up a few months ago to replace my A17. It is noticably louder than the A17, and the sound quality sounds just as good. The organization is improved, but it needs a search function. The physical buttons are a welcome addition. They feel very solid. There's a bit of a delay when you press them, but I believe it is intentional. I wont regret recommending it. I was previously satisfied with FiiO products, but the sound quality of these Walkmans blow the FiiO out of the water. Just turn on DSEE and ClearAudio and you'll be in heaven.

The A35 is down to $150 on amazon, but it is because the A45 was just announced. It doesn't come out until next year, but have a look at it anyway.

got an ipod classic HDD classic 5.5 or 6g

Going do rockbox + 1TB + 3000Mah battery.

Ipod was free in 2006 + $200 in parts.

1TB Ipod classic worth it?
iflash.xyz/

I kind of want to do this as well.

Thanks for the info. Have you experienced any bugs / noticable lag in the UI?

I haven't found any bugs yet. It's as smooth as an average smartphone from 2017. When you select an item (album, song, etc.) there does seem to be a delay of about a second. There was a firmware update shortly after relase to address lag, but the delay is still there. I think it may be a poor attempt at a fade-in transition. It's not significant enough for me to consider it an issue.

If you do pick one up, and are running windows, use the MediaGo software. It isn't as fancy as other software, but it works very well with the walkman.

>tfw too much of a brainlet to do this

The x26 is? Is the firmware on the other one better? Because the x26 firmware is shit

Can't believe so many people fell for the mp3 player meme

those walnut v2s don't look too bad for 30$