Does anyone else think Fedora-linux should rebrand at this point...

Does anyone else think Fedora-linux should rebrand at this point? There's just no recovering from the awful connotations of this name now.

Other urls found in this thread:

msn.com/en-us/news/us/colorado-spirituality-bookstore-named-isis-vandalized/ar-BBnaGp4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It doesn't really bother me to be honest

Yes, but what do YOU think?

Same. It's probably hurting their word of mouth recommendations though.

I think they should call themselves Bowler as in Bowler hat.

No one outside 2 or 3 anons in Sup Forums care about that meme.

No, they should own it and make this their logo.

...Isnt that kind of the fucking point?

If you dont buy something because of a shitty meme, does your oppinion really matter?

Why? It's fitting since only autistic betafags use loonix

wut, fedora meme is normie tier dude, everyone knows that meme.

When you're pushing a brand having a good image is pretty important. It doesn't matter if you're selling the most delicious chocolate ever made if you shape it to look like dogshit, noones going to buy it no matter how good you say it is.

CEO fedora begins woman

What did he mean by this

Yes. I cringe everytime I hear the name. I might actually use it, but the name would make me feel too much of a neckbeard.

>Hey user what OS is that?
>GNU/Linux Fedora Edition

its in reference to hacker hats like black hat or white hat not atheist meme

Why not be based and embrace it instead?

This.

It's a play on "red hat", which is a reference to communism

Cowboy Hat Linux

Yes but the name of that distro does not bother anyone in real world.

nah, it keeps the userbase mature.

just call it fedora you fucking autist

kek'd

This is really the only reason why I haven't touched the distro (nor will I ever touch it). I can't get the association out of my head

Truly the Virgin distro

Fedora has had the name over 10 years before the meme even came about. They shouldn't have to rebrand just because they didn't have psychic powers to predict some meme a decade in the future that has nothing to do with the distro.

The damage is already done..

>linux
>brand

MacFag detected.

Are you retarded or do you simply not understand the concept of branding? Fedora has a brand, it wants to market itself as a desktop/server distribution.

>t. Longtime owner of "ISIS Sandwiches" across the street

Memedora is shit anyway

>he

msn.com/en-us/news/us/colorado-spirituality-bookstore-named-isis-vandalized/ar-BBnaGp4

Not a burger here, what'd wrong with fedora (hats)? I never really got this meme

>haven't touched
>virgin

>market

I'm not sure if you are just a brainlet or autistic. What kind of market exists for an open source project?

Fedora, like any other linux distro, is NOT made for a greater "market" and has no need to "brand" itself like Windows and Apple does. The goal is to make something good that the developers can share with other people AND use it themselves. If you don't like it then gtfo, you didn't pay anything and if you care for stupid memes then bad luck. No one else who matters does.

don't know why they didn't just call it red hat community edition or something

>linuxfags have given up on "year of the linux desktop"
About time

The server market for a start you absolute retard. They WANT people to use their products, hence they MARKET them with BRANDING like icons, pretty default environments.. Do I really have to explain this to you? Are you a NEET?

Linux is also a brand, retard. Linux Foundation have the rights over it.

LMAO, this picture alone put me off fedora. Can't believe they have this on their main site.

Last I checked, Fedora was developed by computer programmers, not fashion models.

>uses facts and logic
Get out of here

the distro itself is shit, though, so who cares?
Can't understand why people use it. Maybe they are fans of latest and greatest Pottering shovelware? Then, ok. Somebody got to beta test his creations before they can be used in other distros.

>judging people by their appearance when their careers have everything to do with their programming ability and nothing to do with the way they look
>implying a lot of male programmers are equivalently any more aesthetically pleasing

It isn't about how aesthetic the programmers are, I'm not asking them to put models on the page instead, just why put pictures of what appear to be downies up?
>Fedora THE retards distro of choice

It's a good to make a potential transition to Linux easier for those who want it. But if you just want to meme about logos then there is no reason for anyone to care about your needs and wants.

You know what a market is, right? The reason 80-90% of all servers run Linux is not because of a fancy logo but because it's superior. No one is fighting to have you run their project on your shitty home server.

My comment was about the need of branding your distro. It's nice to have more people because that often leads to more devs. People who care about the logo will probably never contribute anything to the project.

>in cs class
>see lad near me with fedora sticker on his laptop
>make tipping gesture at him
>look of instant shame on his face
>he knows

Holy shit, you are absolutely beyond saving. Marketing literally means appealing to potential buyers OR users, in this case users. They are very obviously trying to appeal to users, like every other distro out there. You seem to have a special case of turbo-autism.

kek'd

Well, make a bug report about it :^) I will upboat it

If they were trying to "market" their distro to users it would be the most logical thing to simplify and polish as much as possible. Maybe add standart programs, a big colourful GUI and then you'd had a much bigger "market share".

Luckily, they don't do that. The goal is not the market to potential users but to make a nice distro. It doesn't matter if 100 or 10000 people use it. Why is it so hard to comprehend anything that doesn't fit into the standart commercial sheme?

They are not trying to appeal to users. The appeal is not something that is being actively worked on. The appeal of a good distro is a by product of its quality.

Conclusion: No GNU/Linux distribution should waste any more time than necessary on logos, branding, marketing or appeal.

>If they were trying to "market" their distro to users it would be the most logical thing to simplify and polish as much as possible. Maybe add standart programs, a big colourful GUI and then you'd had a much bigger "market share".

They do all of this shit, what are you on about? You can find ads for ubuntu/fedora etc on plenty of sites, they probably pay for higher rank on distrowatch too. Have you used one of the popular distros in the last 5 years? Doesn't seem like you have. If they didn't give a shit about marketing all their websites would like stallman.org

>Conclusion: No GNU/Linux distribution should waste any more time than necessary on logos, branding, marketing or appeal.
There goes your autism again, we're not talking about what they SHOULD do, we're talking about what they DO do.

I can imagine him furiously setting up debian immediately after getting home

kek'd for a frogposter..you're alright

At this point I'm not sure if this is an elaborate troll or you're just retarded.

Nobody can possibly be this dumb, right? Must be a troll.

upvoted

no man can live with that shame

fucking lmao