Have you ever soldered before? What did you do?

Have you ever soldered before? What did you do?

Other urls found in this thread:

ergodox.io
hakko.com/english/tip_selection/work_drag.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Replaced blown capacitors in many a PC power supply.

I soldered.

I solder all the time.
Fixing old audio equipment is fun.

Yes, I'm an electronics engineer.

New caps on a Pentium4 motherboard that wouldn't start.

Soldering a PV module in my College right now as a part of my masters degree. It is a pain in the ass.

Jacks and plugs
I suck at it, though. Damn shaky hands

I've soldered rs232 and xlr connectors, I'm pretty sloppy though.

Yeah soldered and I used a bath solder machine.

Nissan engine wiring harness into a Mercedes for an engine swap project

I soldered cpus
t. Ahmed

Swapped an assload of caps on mobos and in monitors. Rrepaired a couple of laptop power supplies where the wires had snapped off in the cable. Mended a bunch of solder joints that had given up due to mechanical stress.
Nothing fancy.

I built my own ergodox: ergodox.io
the hardest fucking part was mounting the SMD diodes that were almost smaller than the tip of the cheapo iron I was using. But now I can shitpost on Sup Forums much more efficiently with it

I was fixing my earphones

>3DS hardmod
>PS3 CFW flash process
>Countless PSU's
>Fixed broken laptop backlight by soldering in a new LED backlight
>Reflow a PS3
>Reflow a laptop motherboard with a shitty 8000 series gpu
>Reflow a motherboard whose northbridge was coming undone
>Replaced an EEPROM on a motheboard
>Made countless small projects

Trick are:
>Get a temperature controlled soldering iron with plenty of wattage and easily sourcable tips. e.g. Yihua 936
>Use chisel tips or a knife tip, pointy crap has a shitty profile for 99% of the work
>Get a third hand or build one yourself
>Use flux and leaded soldering tin
>Angled flatcutters are a must and always keep a finger on the leg you're cutting, otherwise it'll jump right into yer eye.
>Clean up your soldering joints with alcohol and a brush
>Cheap ass solder suckers are decent and great if you ever need to desolder something
>Fume extractors are nice
>Hot Air stations can be had for pretty cheap e.g. 858D

wtf? seriously?

look, if you are not soldering something every day then you really don't belong on this board.

But I own soldering pantyhose. Doesn't that count?

If you have not installed gentoo on your soldering station, you do not belong on this board.

I can attest to the Yihua being pretty good. It has the combination hot air reflow gun and the soldering iron. I've been using it to repair old pcs and electronics and I haven't had any issue at all. Kind of funny how china makes quality repair tools but is known for subpar standards

>recommending chink shit knockoffs

just die already

only if you have programming socks and fingerless hacking gloves too

How do you knock off a widely used and hugely simplified tool like a soldering iron? Are you like a Snap On whore? Only caring about brand name.

Small stuff, replaced defective LEDs, fixed connectors, desoldered capacitors, resistors etc. from old boards, soldered small circuits on breadboards for rpi

>chisel or knife tip
Nice, I'll try this out when switching out the switches on my keyboard

Hakko has some pretty decent tips (get it, get it) on soldering:
hakko.com/english/tip_selection/work_drag.html

Once. Blown caps in a broken monitor. The thing is that I made a fool of myself because I asked the store clerk for the caps because I said nanofahrads instead of micro.

>not using ultracaps in your monitor

I've done pretty much anything.
>otherwise it'll jump right into yer eye.
...also, always wear your safety glasses on when when dabbling with electronics. Hot solder can shoot at random directions at times, like when some tension is released or something equally unexpected. I had some accidents that involved my eyes (had more luck than brains though), not just during soldering. Like this one time when I was doing a repair on a power supply and I connected it to mains to make some readings but I made a short with my probe and the pcb exploded in front of my eyes. Nothing major happened to me but later on I discovered there are some copper particles smelted into the lenses of my glasses, that were impossible to scrub off.

building prototypes and other funs

Easiest and most enjoyable recent thing I did was rewiring some self flashed EPROM to modify a JP only NES game so it could play in English on an actual NES. Friend didn't care much for emulators.

if you're not microsoldering shit like u2 ic on iphones you aint shit

yes
desoldering Aristotles, from an old new stock chicony that I lost switch lottery with because I forgot to check serial num, modding into zeliostotles and resoldering to the chicony because it's better than any modern board anyway

Many times, doing a wii chip years and years ago was probably the hardest I've done.

I always thought I was a terrible solderer and my work would always be shit and there was nothing I could do to improve because no matter how much I practiced I would always get the same awful results.
Turns out, the trick to decent soldering is using a decent soldering iron/station.

>that babby shit
>hard

sub micro or neck yourself

if you don not do SMD for everything, you are not fucking soldering

There is no need to be upset

then stop being a faggot and claim you are 'soldering' when you're just fucking around

What ISA board is being soldered together there? There are a few kits around for things like RAM expansions and the like.

Fuck this guy, SMD work aside that looks tidy as fuck and the guy has clearly given some thought to neatly laying shit out. I don't give a shit how well you flow solder, if you can't do a neat job of it you're a fucking primate.

Would let near my shit with a screwdriver/10

It's not an ISA board. Lrn2pincount.

I soldered in a Saturn modchip. That's one wire.
Tried an Xbox hardmod as well but I fucked it up because it was a lot more complicated and shaky hands

I soldered my botnet asus charger, because the cable broke. I soldered my mother's dell laptop's botnet on/off switch. I also made a botnet radio station. I fixed my logitech sound blaster's botnet cable as well.

wow, that looks pretty and horrible at the same time
you could say, it's ___pretty horrible___

>Turns out, the trick to decent soldering is using a decent soldering iron/station.
yep, same thing with me. I always had trouble with soldering until I tried the equipment in my school

>SMD for everything
...but SMD isn't perfect for everything, 90% of the time yes, it is, but there are some things that are better done by other means

Solder the wires back to their probes on my piece of shit harbor freight multimeter.

Had to solder several batteries and cables for RC cars and planes, replaced some blown caps, soldered my mechanical keyboard (tm) and other stuff.
Finally got myself a somewhat decent soldering station with temperature control. Before that I only had a shitty $10 iron with a completely fucked tip and flux as viscous as rubber.

Mostly blown bits in monitors, mobos and couple times a GPU. Replaced a vrm on an evga 1070 with one from a dead 7870 i believe it was. It worked surprisingly and sold it to some twitch streamer lol

soldered a 44mhz xtal to my dev board for dem sweet clock gainz

>ergodox.io
this is one of the coolest hardware projects i've seen in a while
pls don't stop posting

Did an RGH 1.2 install without QSBs, wasn't too difficult.

>cooling a TO-218 package with a massive surface and a metal tab through a quality thermal paste with a beefy cooler securely screwed to the frame
vs
>cooling a tiny SMD transistor through its plastic case and a thermopad with a janky cooler mounted the PCB with pushpins
No thanks

No, you're a bench monkey.
If you were an actual electronics engineer you'd have much more important work than soldering.
I've been a electronics engineer for 15 years, the only time I solder is in my own time, on my own projects. We have interns or reflow machines to do actual soldering.

ok, user

>the only time I solder is in my own time, on my own projects.
so you're not making any prototypes anytime during the process of making a product?

Resoldered my guitars jack.

Made this radio for a school project. Turned out better than expected.

I've made some clocks. Shit was cash.

How to spot a retard
If you're not actively soldering you don't know what you should pay attention to in the design of a PCB.

>Have you ever soldered before?
Yes
>What did you do?
soldered

You're not a true solderer until you've taken a hot load of solder to the skin

2 of my fingertips don't feel heat anymore

This. Sitting cross legged in basketball shorts is the patrician way.

Made a shitty battle bot in physics once.. came in second place though.. SOB was all defence. Along with a few LEDs, busted PC fans and a power cable to a lamp my chewed on (while it was unplugged luckily)

Why did you do it like that? Why not design a PCB with actual traces?

>Have you ever soldered before?
Nice neo-Sup Forums m8

a simple light circuit that i somehow managed to fuck up and need to solder 2 pins together that isnt suppose to be soldered together

It looks like he was jacking into two separate QFP chips, I'd like to see you try designing a pcb that allows you to do that.

Sup Forums how do I get less shaky hands? I'm fine with larger solder joints and run-of-the-mill soldering but my shaky ass can't handle modchips or any kind of SMD without streaking the tip all the way across the chip and melting plastic.

I used to. I have arthritis now and have trouble with precision.

>streaking the tip all the way across the chip and melting plastic.

Take the pcb out of the case?

The PCB is on the table. I'm talking about shaky hands causing me to melt the chip I'm trying to solder a jumper.

We had electronics stuff on second grade in . It was fun. It's a shame that the rest of the handicraft in the curriculum consisted of nothing but woodworking. I didn't care enough to start tinkering with these things at home.

yes, mostly modular and non modular synths + home applicances

Junkie scum plz go

>Get a third hand or build one yourself

So much this, i spent a good amount of University without one. It was hell trying to hold small components

I thought you needed some super secret training from oldfag soldering society to solder

and that even then it would not be as reliable as a new one.

i solder every other day actually.
Did this in uni last year. Was too lazy to change objective on my camera that's why focus is fucked, m9 :)

All the time.

fix Iphone motherboards

Soldered an ESP8266 to my desk lamp and used it to remotely turn the lamp on and off.

>I hooked up my desk lamp to the botnet

jesus christ, use a soldering iron, not a hot fucking shovel

>ESP8266

depreciated you fucking retard

ESP32 or neck yourself

Not that user, but are you literally retarded? There is nothing wrong with his soldering.

Mechatronics engineer here.

solder down to surface mount for teh lulz.
Repair various shit when production lines go down and the techs are all "muh spaghetti"

Had to solder caps that were too large to fit, cos that's all I had, on a motherboard when a production server went down.

still got fucking railed for taking too long rolleyes.jpg

the cs meme continues.

needs more flux.
guess you spent to much time trying to get the joint right, or retouched the joints a few times.

You know how many amps are going to be flowing through those solder joints?
Looks fine to me.

I do more desoldering than soldering ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I made a CPU

>that douchebag uppity employee that won't ever get his hand dirty and waits for others to do some small task cuz muh engineering degree

You are society's aids

drones shiet
disregard those fags the soldering iz gud!

this prick triggers me.
gets a free ride to college because he dismantled a clock and put it in a shitty mini brief case. wtf?

>gets a free ride to college because he dismantled a clock and put it in a shitty mini brief case. wtf?
No. He got a ride to college because of dumb faggots

either way it's bull shit

Same, but for an old LCD screen.

And many little things after that. But that was the only one on PCB, most of the time it was just electrical wiring of some sort.

Also I repaired a broken key once, a literal life saver.

Wtf
You use ground cable colors for the whole job

Yes, the skin between my fingers together.

yes, first time I made a desk lamp from leds PVC pipes and epoxy

Soldering irons are like the one thing the chinks can do right, and they depend on them themselves.

Chipping my GameCube was probably the hardest, followed by nodding the component cables for VGA because you have to lift IC legs and solder in a tiny ass 10k resistor as well as horizontal and vertical sync lines.

It's really simple to me, because I've built more stuff, that's very complicated - like CPUs and soldering them