Is Ubuntu a meme? It's supposed to be the justwerkz of distros but I had nothing but fucking problems with it...

Is Ubuntu a meme? It's supposed to be the justwerkz of distros but I had nothing but fucking problems with it, none of the drivers would work for me, it was super choppy everywhere, I installed Arch (Antergos) today and it's smooth as fuck, no mystery driver problems, can actually see my usbs out of the box.

>tfw an arch distro is more justwerkz than ubuntu

Ubunutu got that designation long before Antergos was a thing, didn't it

have been using windows for years. gonna try debian. what you think.

Can be difficult as debian has no out of the box non-free drivers

Prepare to bang your head against a wall coming from windows

You'll have the same problems with Mint too. Debian is the easiest and most reliable distro.

you can do whatever you want, but if you're asking if it's gonna be straightforward I think you're wayy better off with Mint

Been asking this too. Haven't had any problems with fedora 26.

i have a thinkpad, shouldn't it be fine?

>thinks ubuntu is less user friendly than arch
we really have hit an all time low in here

Ubuntu meme needs to die.

>I installed Arch (Antergos) today and it's smooth as fuck, no mystery driver problems, can actually see my usbs out of the box.
Just wait, once you face a problem it'd be hell to solve compared to Ubuntu. Antergos is built on top of Arch using a ton of unnecessary and outdated shit. You'll have a ton of fun especially if you install a graphical front-end for AUR and install all the proprietary bullshit a typical normie uses.

But yeah, Ubuntu is slowly turning to shit. Fedora and Solus are the "just werks" desktop distros nowadays. Mint and Manjaro too, if all you care about is "just works" and not the amount of shit that has been duct-taped together to make it "just work".

The last good Ubuntu version was 14.04.

works on MY machine

Don't get me wrong dude, if you have no idea about linux then Ubuntu or it's forks will still be better, but if you have an idea what you're doing Arch is way less of a headache in my opinion. I spend the first 4 hours in Ubuntu removing bloat.

Yeah it was a choice between Solus and Antergos for my distrohop today I settled on Arch because AUR, I actually enjoy fixing shit in my distros anyway so it doesn't HAVE to be justwerkz, but when it comes to mysterious driver issues I'd prefer it was justwerkz

Manjaro has a bunch of goofy shit in it like driver issues, bloat, outdated packages and not to mention its famous for security holes. I wouldn't recommend it over Antergos.

Which version did they swap to Unity? That's when I dropped Ubuntu.

10 or something. They swapped back to GNOME now.

Can Antegros install DEB or RPM packages?

>graphical front-end for AUR
that comes preinstalled on Antergos and it works like a charm

I don't think so, you'd have to ask someone else. Most of the things you can find in DEB or RPM packages you can find in the Arch repos or AUR

What's the benefit of using this over yaourt?

I have no idea. I just like the idea of clicking on a package and having it built and installed automatically

install mint with cinnamon faggot
make the transition easy, dont start hating out linux.

Should I use Debian stable or testing? I'd be new to Linux but want relatively up-to-date packages

Install ZorinOS Core/Lite

>linux

This pretty much sums up my experience with windows

You shouldn't use debian, what makes you want to use it over other more user-focused distros? Debian is server shit.

i kek'd really hard watching this, but I've never had that problem with any of my distros really, at most big problems take 30 minutes to fix and I learn something while I'm at it.

i've never had any drivers issues on x201 and x200 with debian from 6 to 9

I have a T430 and don't need non-free drivers for wifi/network/video card. Need them for bluetooth but I don't use bluetooth.

>Boot up
>System program problem detected
>Launch Firefox
>echo "hello world" in console
>Click on the problem dialog

Yes, ubunut that just werks is a meme since ubuntu 11.04

This is with arch? antergos?..linux in general? What are you trying to say here?

It's not the problem. The user being a retard and installing a shitload of crappy packages and running into a dependency hell once something updates and not understanding what the fuck is going on because of all the handholding is.

Arch isn't for beginners.

I've never had that happen, I just update through the provided GUI and I guess it resolves shit automatically

I've used Fedora, Arch, Gentoo, Debian, Manjaro, openSUSE and Solus and never had problems with a fresh install... but half the time I've tested Ubuntu, doesn't matter what version, LTS or not, I've had problems. This with both desktop and laptop, which is Thinkpad X220, a well supported model
Ubuntu really is fucked up. I think it's because Canonical puts their own special smear of shitty patches on top of every program

I honestly had the same experience. Ubuntu was an unstable and buggy mess, especially after installing PPAs. Arch just works, it's rock solid and fast and stable. It's a joy to work with.

I've had this error immediately on fresh installations.

Agreed. Arch cops too much shit around here meanwhile Ubuntu gets too much undeserved praise.

Look at me, I am the justwerkz distro now.

If only fedora was renamed so it could become the new default instead of ubuntu.

I had a GNOME crash after installing fedora desu. But it worked so much better than Ubuntu. If I didn't think Xfce and KDE are better than GNOME fedora would be my main distro, that as well as the fact that getting proprietary shit requires an extra step.

I believe half of the community is pushing newcomers to Linux to use Ubuntu just so they can keep them in the debian ecosystem. Arch and gentoo are for hobbyists and powerusers, fedora/SUSE are for "professional use". I'm not saying debian is bad, but Ubuntu is buggy as fuck and even it's forks are more stable.

the fuck is this? where is global menu?

LOL! I got that reference, upvoted ;)

The reason for this is arch linux has newer software and thus works better on newer hardware.

It's GNOME, not unity. It doesn't have a global menu without addons. And you're looking at the installer which means OP hasn't set anything up yet.

Does Fedora not have a KDE fork?

What do you mean? What are you looking for? cnchi.py is the antergos installer.

My hardware really isn't new, the newest part of my PC is an R390 from 2015 and ubuntu couldn't even manage to get that right.

If you want the app menu move your mouse to the left side of the screen and click the android looking app launcher thing

> Fedora
> Never had problems
I've been getting these constantly from day 0.
Seriously, why is SELinux broken from a fresh install? Are the developers numb from seeing them?

You have an optimus laptop? Ubuntu or Mint is your friend.
Outside of that any distro is ok.

This. Only thing I can run on my laptop.

antergos isn't a good choice, go to a maintened linux distros

antergos is maintained, why isn't it a good choice?

It's time to retire ubuntu as the recommended just works distro, it hasn't been good in years.

I'm gonna be honest.. arch is the only distro that justwerkz for me anymore. Debian won't detect my damn network driver and fedora, while it installs fine, breaks within a week or two of using. Yet I've had arch installed on my thinkpad for half a year and on my desktop for a couple months and updated it without checking news or making any backups. The drivers justwerk and updates haven't broken it (yet.. knock on wood).

got an opposite experience .
Fedora - got into famous GDM loop bug after the first major update. Fuck it.
openSUSE - it suddenly stopped to see my
second hard drive. I guess that's btrfs issue but still. Fuck it.
Arch - everything's fine untill AUR. Really almost everything needs to be tinkered with even the pacaur itself. Fuck it.
Debian - actually had a nice expereience with it but it's still makes me to solve some issues like screen tearing manually. Plus, the packages are outdated. Fuck it.
Also, every Ubuntu flavour is made by idiots (GNOME, MATE, etc.). I had some problems with every one of them but everythings fine once I go for minimal install (which kinda contradicts Ubuntu's purpose) and lego my own system (which is fun first couple of times). Also almost every Mint: Cinnamon, Xfce, Mate works great (KDE is buggy).
Slackware was also an issue-free system for me but I still wouldn't recommend it to anyone. People are sayng that Salix is great, though.

"arch is unstable" is a meme created by brainlets who installed arch once, grabbed 50 unmaintained packages from AUR, updated and broke their install and want to make themselves feel better.

I run Fedora 26 on my T420s and never had an issue. Runs like a dream.

Fedora won't even boot to liveusb on my system. Go figure.

The installer literally lists what non free drivers you need and then you can download them from the Debian repos into another USB drive and plug it to your PC. The installer will install them automatically.
Debian comes with Linux-Libre, but it's lack of nonfree dirvers is not an issue.

How can you have problems with Ubuntu? It is literally noobie-friendly.

until they added systemd

If you don't have Linux friendly hardware you'll have problems no matter what distro you choose. If your hardware is fully supported ootb by an upstream kernel you generally won't have any issues at all. If it isn't then you'll have to mess with your system to install drivers where there will be many modprobing and checking of the dmesg (assuming you know what you're doing). If you don't then god help you (you better hope your distro of choice has good support).

> It's GNOME, not unity. It doesn't have any features at all without addons.
Fixed that for you.