/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Reminder:

>no thread up when I wake up
Wow finally.

there has been a thread for like 2 hours

delete this duplicate

What are you talking about?

K712 sounds like watermelon and malaria.

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

HD 600s sound like no bass and no soundstage :^)

>Budget
$100
>Location
USA
>Source
jdslabs Element
>Type of headphone
Whatever
>Open or closed
Whatever
>Comfort level
Whatever
>Sound signature
Surprise me
>Past headphones
Elear, LCD2, HD600, DT880, PM3

Incorrect; this has been debunked.

Pic + timestamp

SHP9500S

SHP9500S

Feel free to post headphones you own :^)

t.Jaquon

Feel free to post headphones you own :^)

I already have neutral headphones. I'm looking for something strange/unique.

Grado SR80e?

I've always wanted to try grados so maybe I'll go with those.

SR60e sound essentially identical for less.

I have fidelio x2, been thinking about getting a pair of LCD-2. I'm wondering if it's worth getting though since i've only got a FIIO E18 as a dac/amp or if i should wait and upgrade the rest of my gear first?

What are some good headphones for recording/mixing/mastering rock and metal?

pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Get the headphones. Upgrading your source right now will not benefit you but upgrading headphones will. You can upgrade your source later if it doesn't get loud enough for you.

aight, sounds reasonable. Any recommendations for upgrades i can do later that are good for these cans?

Schiit Stack or O2/ODAC are the standard choices. I don't find the LCD-2 to be that hard to drive though. Tbh a fulla 2 worked just fine for me.

Headphone jack on my computer just broke down and i thought that it would be good time to upgrade my audio system.
>Looking for
AMP/DAC
>Budget
250€
>Location
Finland
>Source
Computer
>Type of headphone
Sennheiser HD600

>Budget: >90 [currency]
>Location: Europe
>Source: Phone (Sony)

>Type of headphone
Active Noise Cancellin

>Sound signature: doesnt matter, but nothing too bass heavy

I'm asking uh... for a friend

actual thread

actual thread

Real, legitimate thread

I'm broke as hell and my current earphones' left side is about to die, so I'm looking for a recommendation before I pull the trigger on the same model I've been using for years

>Budget
$15 max
>Location
Mexico
>Source
3.5mm Jack
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
Doesn't matter that much as long as I don't feel that 69 niggers are raping my ear canals
>Sound signature
Bassy, though neutral would be nice, too
>Past headphones
Sony MDR-EX15LP, the ones I am currently using, and some crappy Vorago on-ear headset. Vorago HP-300, I think.

I looked around a bit and it seems that an alternative to the MDR-EX15LP are the Panasonic RPJHE120R, but some reviews say the cable is flimsy as hell.

>Budget
100-150€, shouldn't be much higher
>Location
Finland, hinta.fi and hintaseuranta.fi are pretty good for comparing Finnish prices, but European sites are fine as well (Amazon has been pretty good in the past (.de, .fr, .co.uk))
>Source
PC/Phone, mostly for home use
>Type of headphone
Full-sized, preferably over-ear
>Open or closed
I'd like them to be open, but closed is fine as well
>Comfort level
As long as I can wear them for long periods of time without experiencing discomfort, anything is fine
>Sound signature
V-shaped or neutral
>Past headphones
Haven't had expensive headphones before, or even full-sized for that matter. I've used Sennheiser CX300II's before and am currently using MEMT X5's, liked both considering what I paid for them once I fucked around with an equalizer, wish the sound stage and separation would've been a bit better.

Somewhat related, what's a good USB powered speaker?

>get Schiit stack
>connect via USB
>install drivers
>getting huge DCP lag and signal noise
>optical works fine and dandy
Why is USB so SHIT? The controllers (Jewtel, anyone?) are crap, the ports are fragile, there's latency all over...

Why is JewSB so widely used when it's so bad?

Posted this last thread but didn't get any real responses.

What do you guys think of the DT 1990 pros?

I've had a pair of DT770s for a couple years and really love them but I'm looking to step up to something a little nicer and open or semi-open. Since I love my 770s so much the 1990 seems perfect but are there any better options?
A couple I've been looking at are HD650 and Audioquest nighthawk

Try each one yourself and choose which sound best if you have access to the headphones

I would if I could. Literally nowhere around me to try the HD650s or DT1990s. Crutchfield has the nighthawks in stock and they're shipping a set to my local store so I can try them out but out of luck on the others.

DT 1990 Pros sound like more refined DT 990s. HD 650s are HD 600s with more mid-bass bloat and less treble, if you've listened to them before.

The 1990s have the build advantage, but the 650s aren't too bad either. No idea about AudioQuest

The HJE-120? It costs all of 8 dollars, I don't remember any particular build issues. Mind you, no one is going to bother to reinforce these low end models.
What does the 1More Piston Classic go for in your area?

Why the LCD-2?

>DT1990
It's not very much like the DT770. But a different question, what don't you like about the DT770?
I get the sense you aren't sure what you are looking for. It would be helpful if you experimented with a parametric equalizer to figure out your preferred signature.

In that line of thinking, sine sweeps are useful to figure out annoying peaks and dips in the response. Hit them with a peaking filter.

>1MORE Piston Classic
That model goes for $20, but doesn't seem to have any stock locally nor internationally...

>what don't you like about the DT770
Nothing really. If I had one complaint it'd be the closed back. They have a pretty good soundstage for a closed headphone but its still not quite the same. Mostly though I've just had them for forever and feel like getting something new.
Generally I like V shaped signatures. Something with pretty good tight bass but not too overwhelming, OK mids that aren't completely drowned out, and nice clear highs that aren't completely piercing. Neutral is OK too.

>It's not very much like the DT770
In what way? From what I've seen so far most people say it's similar in that it has a similar sound signature but its open back so has the expected changes with that and sounds better overall due to the better drivers.

Who here a cassette bro?

I sure hope you're using Type 2 tapes with that.

Best replacement pads for MDR-V6?

>V6
How do you put up with the circumaural design on these?

Sure do
>when you got that pro pure audio on deck
Also nr-c

Well, I have this old piece of shit from way back then

>nr-c
Nice

Idk nigga they seem comfy enough

>worse than HD600

HD579
HJE120, it's comfy as fuck.

The response calling them shitty retard treble cannons was a real response. That's what they are, factually and objectively. You asked a question but would clearly prefer a positive response to a truthful one.

user has listened to the DT 990s, user. I'm pretty sure he knows. Kek. Imagine a "v-shaped" headphone with no treble

They're almost the same price as the MDR-EX15LP, so I'll give them a try, thanks

soup /hpg/

I have a pair of Steelseries Siberia gayming headphones that are starting to fall apart. Would like to upgrade to something durable and repairable that'll last me 5-10 years. Think I'd like an open design so I'm not totally unaware of the outside world (aware enough to listen for the doorbell, or hear if my girlfriend says something in the room). Going to use a Shure SM58 with an interface for my new mic.

Looking for something reasonably budget, $150 and under only. Would feel comfortable in the $90-100 range.

>Shitty retard treble cannons
user prefers v-shaped. If you have a better recommendation at the same price, go for it

This is literally worse than a DT990 for a lot more money. If he insists on V-shaped a DT990 would be a much smarter purchase.

Thanks user, HD579s look pretty good

You can not perfectly tell what a headphone is going to sound like just by looking at frequency response graphs. If user is able to, which he currently isn't, he should listen to them himself and compare

Alright guys!

I have a budget of 200 for a headset.

I need the best of the best.

What would be the cheapest way to control volume to my powered studio monitors?

I don't want to use the PC/Windows volume control since it degrades audio quality on low volume.

Apple Airpods

Your image is worthless without a compensation curve. is a raw measurement which clearly shows ludicrous amounts of treble. A headphone has serious problems when any frequency is louder than the ~3 kHz ear resonance.

pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

So, like DT 990s, correct?

>Raw
Here are the HD 600s for a comparison

DT990 is not a good headphone, but I meant it when I said DT1990 is literally worse for more money.

You seem bias to neutral headphones. Are there any better v-shaped headphones for either of the price points?

I don't know what point you're trying to make. The ~3 kHz resonance is supposed to be there on and as accurate headphones will have a large resonance at ~3 kHz. The large 9 kHz peak on is not supposed to be there.

Schiit sys

I'm not telling the guy who prefers V-shape to not buy DT990. I'm telling him not to buy DT1990 because it's literally worse than the less expensive DT990. Let me quote him:
>and nice clear highs that aren't completely piercing
>that aren't completely piercing
is not an example of a measurement of highs that "aren't completely piercing."

Always feel free :^)

Maybe you should follow your own advice

Silly user, i'm not the one disagreeing! Surely, you must have at least half-decent cans, right?

K712 eternally BTFO.
>mud = 250 to 500 Hz
It's literally a muddier version of Beats by Dre.

Literally tinny and veiled mudcannons.

Feel free to post your headphones and compare them to each other. If you own AKGs and Sennheisers, that's even better! Even poor ol' user did it!

No, currently have 558/k240/m40x. still making final decisions on HD600 and others, which is why I'm here. I don't need to own $300 headphones to post a graph. And it seems like you don't own decent headphones either

t.Sharquay

Kek. No wonder you never replied!

Feel free! Even ol' user did so!

I did reply. Feel free to post your headphones

My headphones are staying a secret :^)

Are you sure you own what you're claiming to own? I don't see a pic + timestamp of any of the headphones. Or were they bought used and all banged up? :)

>2017
>Not using Type IV

>My headphones are staying a secret :^)

>secretly doesn't own any

Why isn't she wearing shoes? She's clearly outside at a metro station.

>Still no pic + timestamp
>Inb4 $10 shitbuds
I wouldn't blame you though, if you knew how to eq
:^)

I haven't seen a single person who has actually heard the 1990s call the highs piercing.

Nor have frequency response graphs ever been very accurate at actually letting you know how a particular headphone will sound.

>>Still no pic + timestamp

Correct! I'm still waiting :)

Type IV is really amazing, some decks can record from 15hz up to 22khz using type IV tape.

>user samefags too
Oh man!

post your secret headphones

Thank you! But headphones are staying a secret :^)

Hope you get out of your poorfag situation and didn't buy all those headphones all at once. Isn't it easy to ask for something and give nothing in return?

The nice thing about objective data is it isn't subject to confirmation bias or post purchase rationalization.