Flat or Skeuomorphism?

Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

eyeqinsights.com/power-visual-content-images-vs-text/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

skeumorphism looks better, but its not in anymore.. you have to wait for people to get bored with flat shit

Flat

It's simple and plain while holding an artistic flair at the same time. Much easier to swipe through multiple apps and determine which you're looking for. It's also more uniform. Skeumorphism on the other hand looks like a 1995 concept design of the future. That's why even apple decided to adopt the more flat style even though they'll never admit it.

skeuomorphism only looks good in a limited context. Skeuomorphism allows so much freedom in design that at a larger level (like the icons on your desktop or whatever) are all inconsistent and clash with each other's style. Everyone uses his own visual style and specific details, and it's never the same. Nothing that ends up put together actually goes well together.

Flat is better for that reason: it doesn't allow so much variation, thereby ensuring there's less clashing.

Years ago I would've said 'flat' but the "flat everything" meme is getting old FAST.
Fuck, even Kellogg's is redesigning their cereal boxes with flat/minimal designs.

Point: skeuomorphism.

Both under the right circumstances. Shit like tray icons and symbols are better off flat instead of those fruity arrow icons you see in old screenshots and shitty gtk themes. Software logos and icons can be good with skeumorphic or flat as long as theres no fuckery in the applications menu like Microsoft tried.

Flat PNG icons are smaller in filesize than skeuomorphic PNG icons.

I don't really see the point in using icons. What's wrong with just text?

The brain recognizes images faster than text.

eyeqinsights.com/power-visual-content-images-vs-text/

>It also takes the brain longer to process text-based or verbal information, while the time it takes to process non-verbal, visual content is 0.25 seconds. Some sources even suggest that visuals are processed 60,000 times faster than text, which explains why we often find ourselves re-reading the same sentence eight times or staring at a page and realizing we have no idea what we’ve read.

Kind of true but more importantly flat scales better and skeumorphic textures don't

>Skeuomorphism
Uses more power, flat is where it's at.

fucking neither
fuck
design is dead

Pixelated. :^)

this but they would probably make it so every icon has a 4k resolution and uses some kind of pixelated (hi res) patterns with animations and shit would probably use javascript somehow to display them.

/thread

Both - material

Maybe your weak baby brain does.

Flat is fine in moderation, but it's become fucking cancer. Feels less like a design choice and more like they're too lazy to shade now.

>staring at a page and realizing we have no idea what we’ve read
I'm so glad I'm out of uni (with degree). still gives me nightmares.

What's your favorite linux icon-theme?
Papirus for me

Skeuomorphism served its purpose, which was to imitate real world devices so that users knew what those apps did. They showed users technology can replace those physical devices in the form of an app, and users eventually got used to it.

Flat makes more sense now because apps run on so many different devices with different hardware specs, and more importantly, different monitor resolutions. A flat interface is scalable, simple, and still retains skeuomorphic qualities but in a way that is uniquely digital.

Shadow and texture on an icon?
Wouldn't look good on my box, but hey to each their own.

Both

Flat with subtle skeuomorphic elements (drop shadows, gradients etc)

who the fuck designed this website
>#FFFFFF background
>#A7A9AC text

This is in fact a trick question. Both sides of OP's images are skeuomorphisms. One just has more fidelity.

Also : fucking skeuomorphism can fucking fuck the fucking fuck off.

Flat looks better when the icons are uniform and share the same color
>shitty image size, but did it quick to show an example

Neither.

Both are dead.

I agree, reminds me of concept art where the icons were uniform

Surprisingly, Microsoft had a great idea with W8 and the whole "Metro" theme. I've tried to make my shit look that way ever since. And if I find a program I enjoy using, but the icon for it is garbage looking, I just fuck around with it in PS until I get something that looks uniform and nice next to my others

actually, I just remade my Brave icon and replaced Chrome on my taskbar

Completely agree. Bonus with going with a single same color is that it doesn't take much effort to fix ugly icons.

Exactly. I always see people who remake icons in the "metro" format, but they always make them multicolored for some god forsaken reason and it just looks like chaos. I just go with white since it really pops on the dark grey of my taskbar and the explorer

No icons, just text.

There's also this program, I think it's called tile iconifier, which I would use to change all the hideous chaotic mess that are start menu tiles, and make them all uniform. I refreshed my comp recently though so that's what I'll be spending part of my weekend doing.
If you're a designer in any way, it's also a really great way to test out icons. If it doesn't hold its own in a uniform sea of icons, time to hit the sketch pad.

both are skeuomorphism, computers don't have stitched pockets silly

Flat
Skeuomorphism works in certain contexts, but for the most part Flat is just so much more consistent and clean

It was just too garish

best icons, coming through

Example of skeu software UI : Reason
1/2

2/2

The irony being that Metro is a flat, 2d look because Microsoft is 100% incapable of designing a good UI.

gradients and shadows

What went wrong?

It's kinda strange how skewomorphic Windows 95 requires less resources than flat Windows 10.

only best design

Looks like shit

Pic is an example of how to do skeu correctly. Posting a pic of a shitty skeu design and claiming it's representative of the style is misleading. Flat can be done alright too, but it's starting to come off as laziness.

that's a case where you wouldn't want a flat design

flat's good for blending together, you don't want your brand to blend together with the other brands

Where's your pic?

Recording software is trapped in a hell of skeuomorphic UI slapped on shitty plugins.

Skeuomorphism seems to be the norm for music production software.

But that pic isn't really skeuomorphism.

ITS ALL A FUCKING MEME

This would be so much better if every button looked the exact same and half of the panels were only viewable/accessible on their own slide-out menus.

Nothing went wrong because it hasn't even rolled out yet they're doing shitty "waves" due to legacy support.

IT WAS ALL A MEME

This, the problem is uniformity, and Windows 10 is still carting around assets from the win95 days, its infuriating.

The theory of the memory palace is based on that, you visualize things or data you wanna remember inside a mental image of a place you know very well cause it's easier to remember them as images.

if they only had to support the most recent of hardware and could get rid of all that legacy shit that would go a very long way to improving windows design imo

They could go and do that right now without any problems with backwards compatibility, its just moving old system utilities to use modern UI frameworks and graphical assets.

Plain text.

The transition wouldn't be the hardest part technically, it's actually getting enterprise users to transition over to using the "new" tools which they largely refuse because it costs money to update training.
It's always painful to install something, choose where to install, and an ancient file picker pops up that doesn't even allow for new folder creation. Goddamn.

Same

Flat is the worst fucking design aestheric to hit graphic design and UIs. It's boring, it's cheap, it offers nothing but "minimalist" jerk off appeal.

being cheap in design is a good thing though

Many skeuomorphic interfaces had a different learning curve IMO - easier to grasp the basics for noobs, but then when you had to do something more advanced, things got into complicated clusterfuck (Or just everything except the most basic controls wasn't skeuomorphic anymore)

>tfw moonrunes are objectively a superior form of written comunication
Japan, here I go!

A mix between the two, where you have the color and shape prominence of (good, anyways) flat design but the shading of skeuomorphism.

What's that called again? ... Oh yeah, it's called Material. Material Design is the best we have right now.

This is trash

Both. Flat icons with depth is best.