/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
LG V30 LAUNCH SOON
youtube.com/watch?v=S9ZHLop_gzQ

EMUI 6.0 will be based on Android Oreo 8.0, a leak suggests
gsmarena.com/emui_6_based_android_oreo_leak-news-26984.php

HTC U11 with 6GB of RAM and 128GB storage reaches Europe
gsmarena.com/htc_u11_6gb_ram_128gb_storage_europe-news-26985.php

Huawei P9 updated with Live Photo feature; Verizon Moto G5 Plus getting new update as well
gsmarena.com/huawei_p9_updated_with_live_photo_feature_verizon_moto_g5_plus_getting_new_update_as_well-news-26975.php

Xiaomi's Android One smartphone rumored to be called Mi A1, to sport full screen display
gsmarena.com/xiaomis_android_one_smartphone_rumored_to_be_called_mi_a1_to_sport_full_screen_display-news-26974.php

Honor V9 Mini allegedly leaks in live images
gsmarena.com/honor_v9_mini_allegedly_leaks_in_live_images-news-26955.php

Samsung Galaxy J7+ leaks in live images
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_j7_leaks_in_live_images-news-26954.php

V30 to offer audio features 'unseen in a smartphone before,' LG says [Updated]
gsmarena.com/v30_to_offer_audio_features_unseen_in_a_smartphone_before_lg_says-news-26950.php

old

Other urls found in this thread:

xda-developers.com/google-camera-updated-zero-shutter-lag-xiaomi/)
gsmarena.com/cat_s60-7928.php
gsmarena.com/search.php3?
androidauthority.com/oneplus-5-camera-shootout-780369/
gsmarena.com/camera_test_nokia_8_vs_galaxy_s8_vs_lg_g6_vs_iphone_7_plus_vs_huawei_p10-news-26935.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is there a good sub 5" phone that isn't the iphone with its complete fucking garbage battery life or xperia compact with its 5 acres of bezels AND on-screen buttons to boot?

xperia x compact
or oneplus x

X

I have deep hate for Google and the Botnet, and everytime I own an android phone I feel dirty, then when I flash a custom rom they are usually pajeet infested and I feel like I am holding a house of cards in my hands.
I had a 5s once and it was pretty comfy, so I am debating on getting an iPhone 6S or a Redmi Note 4.
I feel this is more a matter of needing therapy than asking on /spg/, but:
Spend 150€ and feel dirty, disgusted and question my ethics,
or
Pay +350€ for a slab of soap that holds my hands while simultaneously ravaging my pockets?

>poses for selfie
>back camera flashes
wew talk about artist's oversight

Anybody here using Lineage on a Redmi Note 4? Is the battery life better than on MIUI 8.5?

You are drinking the apple kool aid. Their aggressive marketing has been riding this meaningless "security" meme for quite a while now and you're a victim of it. Spend the money on therapy.

of the 3, Oxygen > LG UX > Touchwiz

For the s7e with LOS, you can download and use the Google Camera if you get the 820 (xda-developers.com/google-camera-updated-zero-shutter-lag-xiaomi/) with the exynos you're sol, though.

G6 has LCD, if you can get past that, it's a solid phone. Between s7e and g6, I'd rather have the g6, but I'm biased, I've had 2 older galaxy phones and after moving away I can't go back to touchwiz.

Maybe she's taking a picture of the person taking her picture

Cat s60?

gsmarena.com/cat_s60-7928.php

>someone was actually paid to design this

My candidate for purchase is an exynos. That Sucks.
But it seems some guy on xda made a hal wrapper for the stock camera to work on los.. So maybe there is hope.

Thanks for the opinions user.
I'd buy the g6 but it seems it's camera is disappointing compared to other flagships.
I'll decide tomorrow..

How is it meaningless? I work with very sensitive data. Everyone in my line of work (and we are only 540 in the whole country, very specialized law-related stuff) uses an iPhone (fitting in and peer pressue is a non issue to me, don't give a fuck). Government issues iPhones to everyone, police forces that do investigation issue iPhones to everyone. It must mean something, no? (Genuinely asking)

You could try GSMArena's phone finder to look for a phone under 5 inches.

gsmarena.com/search.php3?

Wikileaks has shown there are FOURTEEN ios exploits that work on all iphones and how many celebrity nude scandals have we got with iCloud hacking by now again?

The point is, your phone is not any more secure than any other phone and your data is being harvested all the same. There is no such thing as privacy with a smartphone. Enjoy your ads.

>Government issues iPhones to everyone

They've had secured android phones since 2012.

It's not meant to look beautiful. It's supposed to withstand work environments that are tougher than the average office.

>how many celebrity nude scandals have we got with iCloud hacking by now again?
to be fair, this probably only happened because they had shitty passwords that could've been brute forced. The best security always begins with the user.

The fact it can be bruteforced in the first place is already all you need to know about how laughable this "security" garbage is.

Is Malwarebytes the best android antivirus app despite it not having a premium version like AVG/Avast?

Maybe their government is not your goverment

Then he is of little consequence as anyone who isn't american doesn't particularly matter.

It's not the greatest at lowlight, but it's definitely not horrible overall. This just came out in July: androidauthority.com/oneplus-5-camera-shootout-780369/

And this last week: gsmarena.com/camera_test_nokia_8_vs_galaxy_s8_vs_lg_g6_vs_iphone_7_plus_vs_huawei_p10-news-26935.php

That said, if picture quality is a major factor for you, Samsung is obviously going to be the best.

Anti viruses are botnets

Just don't be fucking stupid and you don't need them

Which phone has the best camera and also has a micro SD card slot?

Battery life is always better on MIUI. Less bugs too. Understand that when you flash Lineage you agree that the battery, camera, microphone, and speaker quality will be worse, sometimes significantly so. It depends whether you value the price of freedom and full control over your phone instead of it fully working as intended.

Nothing wrong with the iPhone

s8/s8+/note

Any phones that come with a free Russian qt?

Red or blue?

the red, please

iPhone 6S is the best iphone made by apple. Battery, lots of storage choices, great camera, great screen, perfect size. I am going to be upgrading to the new one and I'm already crying a little to be getting rid of the 6S.

best case for the s8?

Except having no battery life worth a shit, which renders the entire device useless if it can't hold you through a day.

Why doesn't the Smartphone General have a pastebin or whatever with a list of approved and recommended apps

>spending hundreds of dollars on a flagship phone
>paying big money for the premium design, build quality and materials
>and then slapping a shitty 10 dollar chunk of plastic on it
Why? Try not dropping your phone you clumsy fuck

you make a fine point. I really didn't want a case to begin with but thought it might be good insurance

Red

squaretrade is good insurance

a case just says you're retarded.

Hello everyone, looking for some advice/opinions.

My brother wants to buy a phone. He made a list of phones he is interested in and the prices they are available at for him. The price range he selected is pretty clear, topping out at 300 euros at the most. He likes the Moto Z (Play) but he wants to know if any of the other ones might be a better (value) purchase.

What do you guys think is the "best buy" here and why? He has no specific requirements beyond it being a "nice, well-made phone" and for it to perform good.

Oh and one thing: not sure if you guys here like it or not, but, no Xiaomi phones are not available.

What do you expect from the T-Mobile event on Sept. 6th?

Just go ahead and remove both the HTC phones and the Samsung phone.

I am seeing Galaxy S8s going for a little bit over 300 euros on ebay.de. Might be worth a try.

Can anyone help me out. Loading your battery everytime when its around 20-30% to 70-80% wont do any harm right?

*to add, 2/3 times a day

Some new plan that may seem nice on paper but will somehow screw people over some how over the older plans.

Also probably showcasing the V30 since it will be the first device to support T-Mobile's new 600Mhz Spectrum as well as being the first to release it stateside for no money down.

As someone who used to work for Magenta, their planning for things are a little too predictable at times.

how the fuck did i get in this board

i have an s8 plus and i woyld like to know where the hell is my update to oero?

What is that thing on he phone case

shin-chan

...are you a retard?

No phone has been updated to oreo yet, expect at least ~3-6 months before samsung pushes an update. In the mean time you'll get your monthly security updates like normal.

Thats the flare reflected off the lens surface from the sun while taking a ordinary selfie from the front facing camera.

Which one should I get?, I tried them both but I'm conflicted. The g5+ felt snappier but the a5 had better cameras (the g5+ is the 4gb variant btw)

i bought an honor 6x and i still cant figure out why i wanted an 8 core phone

>have galaxy s6
>just noticed that gps and airplane mode can be toggled from lock screen

is there some way to disable this? if my phone gets stolen i dont want the thieves disabling location services or the phones data connection.

is there anything i can do about this?

Go to settings, then Lock screen & security, then go down to Secure lock settings, then make sure "lock network and security" is checked.

Nope. Didn't you read what I posted yesterday?
Although I wouldn't have patience with a phone that has such a shitty battery and would just charge it to 100%.

Z, Z Play or A5. He won't regret buying any of these. Unless he likes taking selfies. The A5's selfie cam is good, I don't know about the others.

Not that user but I want to do that on my Moto G5 (android 7) too and I can't find that anywhere in the settings

Sorry, only reason I knew is I have a Galaxy Note5 which is identical to the galaxy S6 hardware (besides having 1GB more RAM).

Why can phones still be turned off from a SECURE lock screen? The only option should be emergency call and nothing more.

You should always be able to power off a device, even if locked.

I have my phone set to unlock with my finger print, but if I am ever pulled over I am turning my phone off immediately because courts have ruled a fingerprint isn't a password and police can force you to unlock your device without a warrant.

However with an encrypted device once it turns back on it requires a password be entered before it even starts the boot process into android. And once it's in android it requires a password be entered for the first unlock after a reboot before allowing finger print unlocks again.

That's all very good and all but you're assuming you'd have the chance to pull your phone out and turn it off

Best and nicest-looking weather app?

is the recent apps list just that, or are all the apps in there actually running?

My s8 does this.

Requesting purchasing advice.

Smallish phone. No or low-profile side buttons, dgaf about any physical buttons on the face. Water resistant at a minimum, would prefer IP68. Easily rootable OR ships with AOSP. SD card slot. User-replaceable battery a plus but not mandatory.

I'm coming from a Galaxy S5 Active, which I can't actually root because I can't install the Windows Media Center bullshit on my desktop that's necessary to install the Samshit KIES bullshit.

>US
>AT&T

Basically I love everything about my S5 Active except for the fact it has so much non-removable bloatware I'm totally out of storage space with zero extra applications on it (all the shit I downloaded went straight to SD card)

emma roberts lookalike

so blue

I never bought an unlocked phone before but when you activate a sim card on it will it download carrier bloat?

No

I'm still rocking my oneplus one, and it's started to get a little dated.

I'm thinking about upgrading to the Oneplus Five. Anybody here have firsthand experience with it, is it worth the jump?

never even heard of the redmi what
get iphone 6s and you've got a phone thats well supported in the future

Honor 8 or Moto Z play?
I can get both for the same price but the Moto seems to be better on everything but the SoC and the camera.
Is the performance difference that significant?

Fug the V30 looks amazing. Hopefully they have a good trade in program

Looking for a power bank. Is the Anker PowerCore a meme? It has hella good reviews on Amazon. Anything better?

its legit, get the one with quick charge though.

You can buy a real NEW s8 for 400 bucks.

Performance should be fine on both, gaming might be better on the Honor 8 if you bother with that.

Opinions on xiaomi mi mix? Love the giant screen. Worth waiting for the apparently soon mix 2 reveal?

Wait for the reveal.

>most fragile design ever
>touchjizz
>shit finger print placement
>no root
hard pass

How is the Google Pixel? I'm still waiting to see if the Pixel 2 (or whatever they end up calling it) will be worth the wait, but how are the current Pixels in case the new one proves to not be worth the money?

the only downside to owning a Pixel is that it's ugly and can't be dropped in water.

>no root
wut?
Just google instructions, they've existed for a little while now.

why are android phones for poor people

android O fucking when? how long am i going to be FORCED to use shitty slow OUTDATED software?

why are you so fat

>bought xiaomi redmi note 4 global for my study abroad
>everything just werks, fast and powerful
>realize my internet is a bit slow
>"lte" is 1mb/s with 50kb/s download speeds in a major city
>realize xingchong doesn't support the right radio bands for japan
NNOOOOOOOO

WHERE THE FUCK IS ANDROID O WHY HAVE WE NOT BEEN UPDATED? WHAT THE FUCK IS THE POINT IN LAUNCHING IT IF NO ONE FUCKING HAS IT YET? ANDROIDS ARE NICE BUT THEIR UPDATES POLICIES ARE THE MOST BASS ACKWARDS THING I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED IN MY NATURAL LIFE

xiaoMEMED

For some reason I found myself questioning why someone would even make such an image as what you posted. I've seen plenty of random shit, but this somehow takes the cake.

Just bought my first android phone, anyone feel like spoonfeeding me the best browser + add-ons? Already started using Firefox but don't like how you go back or forward a page

Id like to know some cool addons too im getting my first android phone on monday.

thats how all android browsers work genius

No they don't but okay pal. The basic default browser has the back/forward buttons on the bottom of the page, firefox doesn't and is a pain in the ass to do it on

theres Sup Forums's recommended apps in the wiki but its old as fuck now. even lists esfile explorer as a good file manager.

why have two back buttons instead of just using the one your phone already has?

And when I want to go forward?

The major Android updates don't usually come out until the Nexus/Pixel phones do. You can get the beta now if you have a Pixel or Nexus phone. Stop your sperging.

use the forward button in the top bar

USA
MetroPCS
Any phone that's rather large will do
Anything below $700

It doesn't need any camera or audio quality, just something that's guaranteed to be smooth throughout the day, so preferably something with high RAM. Also, something with an enormous battery life.