Is this the greatest GPU of all time? How did it become such a speed demon? It kills GTX 780 in 2017, despite the 780 being substantially faster than it at launch.

Drivers

it had the power to spare and the drivers were holding it up.
I'm sad that I didn't save up for it and got a 7850 instead.

you dawg i heard you like mudkips

How fast is it nowadays? LIke a rx 460?

Gcn is the retard strength of the tech industry

almost 480, it's basically slightly weaker 290

Probably best buy you could hope for in your lifespan, mine bitcoins, play all the games, still relevant today in triple A games with overclocking and overvolting as well as modern cryptomining. I can't think of any other gpu that has stayed relevant for so long.

bought one for 360€ at launch went up to 500€ months later, it felt so good back theb

No fucking way it's fast as a Hawaii.

it got alus for it, it's dead in dx12 though
dx11 it's still pretty strong

Oldfag detected

Csn confirm 7970 is based as fuck
One can only dream that Vega would age this well, even though it won't.
Think about this, a 2500k and 7970 with 8gb of ram is STILL relevant for 1080p gaming today, and would be on per with a r3 + 1050ti. That's pretty fucking strong value fellas

I upgraded from mine two years ago.

7970 is still even passable for 1440p desu.

Meanwhile GTX 680 is trash garbage.

>Is this the greatest GPU
>greatest
>ATI
kek

t. Jensen Huang

i7-2600k, 7970, 8GB RAM... It's still a beast dude. I play BF1 at Medium settings at 60 fps / 1080p.

I remember trying to get one but it was out of stock 24/7 for a long time after release. Meanwhile my 680 runs out of VRAM in every game I play nowadays.

>I remember trying to get one but it was out of stock 24/7 for a long time after release.
Forgot to mention that the reference ones were in stock sometimes but all the reviews said they were noise machines.

I had my 7970 and 8350 machine until last year. It served me well.

It's not great, not even close for two reasons: Power usage and noise.

This being said, it's amazing how these cards are doing today. I put together a rig for my nephew when I upgraded mine. I was thinking I needed to buy a new GPU and then I benchmarked my old 7850 on Windows. The results were much better than I expected. It's only got 2 GB of RAM so that's an issue but still, it's almost strange how these older cards are still doing quite well compared to new cards. This being said, the performance per watt isn't anything to brag about.

>almost 480
nope
t. tahitifag, then it died and I upgraded to RX 480
It's way faster

HD7970 is still an awesome card though. If you got a 2500K and a 7970 all these years ago you're still perfectly fine.

Pretty surprised by that tbqh.

Noise isn't that big a deal on aftermarket cards, but yeah they use a lot of power, no getting around that. The Ghz edition especially sends power consumption through the roof.

The greatest GPU of all time is the GTX 1080 Ti.

It's the current fastest card, but in historical terms it's probably not as relevant as the original Voodoo card, or the legendary radeon 8500.

>legendary radeon 8500
You mean 9700 Pro
8500 was a pretty meh card, Geforce 3 series was a lot better.

The one that completely obliterated Nvidia when they came with the Geforce FX bullshit.
Probably the 9700 pro.

Eat shit, pal.

The one ATI product that was actually great.
It was so good it beat the next generation from Nvidia too.

>The one ATI product that was actually great.
RV770 and Evergreen were also fucking stellar, cheap and exceptional performers.
Too bad they never sold that well.

Until nvidia releases brand new GeForce(tm) series, then everyone will forget about it.

tfw u buy 280x new but you find out its just a 7970 with a spoiler stuck on

ATI was making bank back during R2xx-R4xx era. Nvidia was making a decent amount thanks to GF2-GF4 MX.

9700PRO and siblings outsold any of the FX stuff. 9600 was ATI's top-selling SKU of the R3xx family.

>tfw you bought a 7970 and you flashed it with 280X bios

their gpus since GCN were always great value and stayed relevant for years, while the nvidia equivalents age like milk.

8800GT.

But after this one, no card aged better than the HD7970, IMO.

tfw my 280x can't get over 1100mhz stable

tfw u buy gtx770 new but you find out its just a gtx680 with a spoiler stuck on

tfw u find out in just 3 months 770 is not supported anymore

What would the benefits of this be? Aren't they practically the same card?

that's not a 970 tho

other acceptable answers:

8800gt
gtx 460
hd 5870

Last great graphics card AMD made.

Well, 280X is higher clocked and has a useless boost clock (it just stays pegged at it just like a 7970 would on base clock)
So it's just for memes and bragging about having a "newer" card.

>970
nope
>8800gt
fair
>gtx460
nope
>hd5870
kind of fair, but nowhere close to 8800gt or 7970

Actually power management and memory compression algorithms get better over time. I'm not sure if memory compression is affected by bios though.

My 7970 served me well, I only updated earlier this year.

>Substantially faster
What did he mean by this?

9600XT still best card ever.
First card with automagic OC. (Overdrive)

Actually I think 7970 is faster than 1050ti and OCd 2500k/2600k are somewhere at level of r5 1500x.

I had one of these in highschool. Sold the desktop it was in went I went off to college in order to help buy a new laptop, which had a GTX 860 in it.

I fucked up.

>not having a shit thinkpad for notes and a desktop for everything else
smfh

Greatest gpu ever made can keep up with gtx 960 and sometimes on another benchmark above it...

NEDM

Sold my sapphire 7979 for 200 cad to some geek on Kijiji some years ago. Great card

and sent nvidia so far into the red that they were in talks with AMD for a buyout

>somewhere at level of r5 1500x
in games and nothing else

>cherrypicking

lmao you dolt. you just replied to a cherrypicked graph, with a cherrypicked graph.

but still the 280x/7970 is a beast.

you still cannot find them used because they are still great mininig cards

I still using mine, I play black desert in max settings

baka