My cousin asked me to revive her decade old laptop

My cousin asked me to revive her decade old laptop.
What's a good lightweight distro that a normie would find easy to use? (LibreOffice, VLC, Browser)

I was thinking Puppy or Lubuntu, or maybe even Remix OS.

> inb4 Gentoo

Other urls found in this thread:

puppylinux.org/main/Overview and Getting Started.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pics?
[spoiler] of the laptop ofc [/spoiler]

Windows POSReady 2009

Puppy or Lubuntu would both be fine. As for "reviving" an old computer hardware upgrades might be a better place to look than software. SSD would definitely do it.

Haven't seen it yet.

>POSReady
>POS
Piece
Of
Shit

Puppy loads itself on RAM so it become really fast even on really old hardware.

>distro that a normie would find easy to use
one that doesn't need an upgrade to the next version every few months. normies like what they're used to. debian stable, ubuntu lts, etc.
"lightweight" aka runs well on older hardware mainly depends on the DE - something like lxde or xfce should be fine on a laptop from ~2005. libreoffice might be a pita to use on that, maybe try lyx instead.

This is also true.

Debian is hard for normies. Ubuntu is still a bit on the heavy side, even with the lightest DE.

puppylinux.org/main/Overview and Getting Started.htm

> Runs from RAM, making it unusually fast even in old PCs and in netbooks with solid state storage media.

What if I install it (No Live USB)? Will it still run on RAM?

Yes.

Thanks

any distro is hard for normies. people used to throw away pcs and just got a new one if they wanted the latest version of windows. they are not going to upgrade unless they find someone to do it for them - that's why you want something that is supported for years.
installing updates on debian is "updates are ready to be installed" notification pops up, user enters password, updates get installed. only option to get even easier than that (from a user pov) is setting up a cron job for updates, at which point you're more or less distro agnostic.

Linux Mint
Seriously, it's good

ZorinOS Lite

That's what Mint is for

actually in this specific case. gentoo

OP cant "inb4", just so you know.

It's not lightweight enough for really old laptops.

make sure you clone the drive first for later forensic recovery of nekkid pics and vids

Tell your cousin to pay you or fuck off.

Xubuntu runs better than Lubuntu on my 2009 2GHz dual core laptop.

bunsenlabs is breddy good

That's putting that cart before the horse, see first what kind of laptop she's got and then decide on what software best suits it.
Generally speaking linux supports old hardware spectacularly well, provided your distro of choice didn't drop your particular architecture, which is so rare an event that it warrants an HN news thread.
I am of the opinion of looking into hardware upgrades, an ssd can change radically the experience we get out of a system, also if possible an OS that resides entirely in the ram can make even the oldest of computers run blazingly fast, puppy linux can do that easily, given enough ram, something of the order of one hundred but not more than two hundred Megs of ram, of course the more the better.