Windows 95

What makes this so comfortable that we actually spend time and put effort into making modern systems look 20+ years old?
Was it so good?

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20071224-00/?p=24063/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nostalgia.

just worked

You know, this would be a valid point for anyone old enough to have used Windows 95 back when it was new but I can't believe that everyone with a Windows 95 rice is already 30 or older. I mean, I started out on XP but I've been using 95 themed XFCE for years

I cured myself of nostalgia. More to this, my life is shit anyway so I have no reason to look behind, so I welcomed Ubuntu's Unity layout with pleasure and don't look for "retro" themes or layouts on any device I own.

A desire to understand the nostalgia then.

Anyway the pixely icons are nice. Even if dated, I'll take the simplicity and perhaps familiarity of that 95 / 98 rice over the ugly default xfce / kde / gnome aesthetics.

Because it copied NeXTSTEP.

pure nostalgia win95 was ass

Because old versions of Windows were designed for use on desktops and the UI worked for that purpose. New versions of Windows are designed for tablets used by women with tiny fingers and don't function properly on desktops.

Reminds of a time when processors didn't have botnets.

In terms of icon design Windows 95 is worlds ahead of this. The icons in NeXTSTEPare kinda inconsistent, sometimes high quality, sometimes absolute dogshit

lol no

Simplicity.

this is best 90's OS
>muh gaems
fuck off

Whats the difference

Autism vs greybeard haxxor

some things were somewhat harder to set up (i.e. sound), but once that was done it was rock solid - especially compared to the 9x line. i've seen nt4 boxes still running the original install from the mid 90s in 2012.

This

95 is just a DOS shell

Nostalgia+retro stuff is cool nowadays
Can't blame them since the current W10 UI is shit

It was simple and fairly minimal. It didn't have the cutesy design of Windows XP-7 or Windows 8-10's split brain. You can't emulate that with a visual theme alone. The Briefcase sucked at synchronization, though.

>95 is just a DOS shell
No, that's a meme.
blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20071224-00/?p=24063/

It's NT

Whistler watercolor > classic theme