/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)
community.kde.org/Promo/Material/Mascots
pastebin.com/URSF87LH
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_surveillance_disclosures_(2013–present)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vault_7
help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Copying my chromium profile from my backup location(which i was running it on while i was restoring data) no longer works.It presents this error message.I checked for any lock files in the profile, and there are none.However if i point via command line to my backup profile, it works as expected.How do i restore my profile? There are no zombie or background chromium processes.

Failed to create a ProcessSinzgleton for your profile directory. This means that running multiple instances would start multiple browser processes rather than opening a new window in the existing process. Aborting now to avoid profile corruption.

the amount of time spent asking here could have just re-setup a new profile by now

>using chromium

Since this is dedicated FOSS thread i want to thank everyone contributing to blender.

There is nothing wrong with my profile.
I am using it right now, from my backup drive.
If i copy(cp or rsync) the profile to my regular drive, it gives the above error.

FUCK YOU CANONICAL

Considering Debian/Ubuntu's newer install sizes are 1.5+ gigs of space even without a DE and generally take 30+ minutes to install, what distro should I get instead to quickly test stuff in VMs? Only requirement is an install size under 1GB that takes less than 20 minutes to install since they are disposable either way.

alpine

install gentoo

Anything but Alpine.

just do 1 ubuntu install, make snapshots of it.

Neo-Sup Forums won't recognize what OP posted

TinyCore. It's just 10mb. ~ 100 with full DE.

haha wow why don't you enlighten us plebians if you're this much superior xD

I want to suck on Stallman's 12 inch cock

Funtoo or Gentoo?

Holo likes apples. She's clearly a macfag.

stop this
read about the differences in gentoo/funtoo and decide by yourself

Is it possible to hook up a Wii U Pro Controller to a GNU/Linux machine and use it to play Steam and emulator games? What about the Game Cube Controller adapter the Wii U also uses?

git or rsync?

not sure if this is the right place to ask but whats the difference between coreboot and libreboot and whats the most lightweight DE to run with debian? using an x60 so I wanna keep my Sup Forums machine nice and light

use LXDE or just customise openbox for light de

If you have working Bluetooth and the pro controller is still using the same tech as the old Wiimotes, then it should be possible. Never tried it though, so ymmv.

Are there any issues with running touchscreen devices on gnu/linux? are there distros that support it?
I had ubuntu on my old laptop, but i want to try something new(could even use it), but my main reason for wanting the switch is speed/security.
I have a dell convertible laptop on which i want to install it.
Will i run into problems with a touchscreen?

boot the computing using an ubuntu liveCD and test your hardware

>tfw VMWare is actually good enough to play some games

What the fuck? Why didn't anyone tell me this before?

What license do I use for my dotfiles?
Is GPLv3 fine?

WTFPL

>If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following
>Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux
Alri what could i possibly miss as a CS student if i use GNU/Linux only?

AGPL

this

Hit close to home, didn't I?

As a CS student? Nothing comes to mind besides video games, if you are into that.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. You appear to be using an element from this image in your post: You may have done this accidentally, but you've violated the terms of its copyright license. This is a serious offense and I hope you take it as seriously as it deserves.
Not to say that you're not allowed to create derived works from this image, you are, but this picture is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International license. Therefor, you are free:

to share - to copy, distribute and transmit the work;
to remix - to adapt the work;

Under the following conditions:

attribution - You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
share alike - If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.

In this case, the attribution requirement is resolved simply by including the following in your post:

Line art CC BY-SA anonymous (creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)
Color CC BY-SA Xx_ToastMaster_xX
Konqi and Katie design CC BY-SA Tyson Tan
community.kde.org/Promo/Material/Mascots

Now that you have read this, I hope you have a better understanding of your rights and obligations when remixing and sharing this work. They will let you edit, now be nice and credit~

coreboot/libreboot is like linux/linux-libre
one includes nonfree code, the latter doesn't

>not using qemu

GPLv3+

It's not even a fight between what distro is better, it's a fight between what version of Debian is better. I'm already thinking of moving to testing because some packages I really like have some good updates, like neovim and postgresql.

Anyone know if we'll ever see LXD in Debian? Is LXC "enough" to do some container work for development?

installing fedora brehs

enjoy ur redhat

what's wrong with it?

just installed lxde and void but can't find network manager, anyone know where to find it?
it's not in session settings

pastebin.com/URSF87LH

The top key was made with ssh in Termux, does it look legit? Looks kinda short and weak to me. I don't know if ed25519 is okay.

I have a weird issue with KDE.

The leftmost 1-pixel-border of the screen doesn't respond to clicks. If I have a window focused over full-screened Chrome for example, if I move the mouse all the way to the left and click anywhere on that border it won't refocus Chrome - but move it 1 pixel to the right and that does the trick.

Any easy way to turn this off?

What distro and/or DE do you recommend for a 2-in-1 tablet? I already run Arch on my desktop, but I probably want something simpler for the tablet since I won't be using or updating it as often.

Is Gnome my only option for a touch-friendly DE? I've heard of Plasma Mobile but I don't know what kind of state that's in, or if it's even for tablets instead of just phones.

Is there any good distro designed for tablets?

It's fine. Ed25519 is different from RSA, makes smaller keys. If openssh generated the key, it's legit. It doesn't make "fake keys." You might have trouble using it some places, as its only implemented in more recent versions of ssh programs, but if it's supported I personally prefer it or ECDSA to RSA.

Dont use that pixel, its broken

Does any one recommend a music player that supports Google Play Music?

I only know of Harmony but it switched to privative model

Stallman has been saying " im right, you guys just dont know it yet, but one day you will know it and then you will look to me as a master", for 30 years now,when will we "know it"?

Everybody has long realized he's been right all along except for (You).

How so?

Which music player do you have installed? Also, which music player can be the most customized?

mpd + sonata

rhythmbox because it just do the job perfectly.
I also got ncmpcpp, but do not use it currently.

how new are you ?
search stallman reason not to use in any search engine and read its blog
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_surveillance_disclosures_(2013–present)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vault_7

Good question.

That's not a reason

Thanks. I'll go with ncmpcpp for now.

>watch the trailer of Mr.Robot
>see this
>use -q for quiet
>it isn't quiet

Why they do this ? What would cost them to actually record an actual linux and not do a such a mistake ?

forgot picture

Do you blame NCIS when they have data lookup within seconds instead of the real hours you have to search the government databases?

Bet you're great at parties

Funny, I'm pretty sure we do blame them every single god damn time. The entertainment industry doesn't give a fuck about being accurate and will portray whatever they want. There's no use getting butthurt over it though. Just look the other way and die a little inside every single time Hollywood makes a factual error.

So you want one episode to literally last 6 hours while they sit there and do nothing while waiting for a dns match or a fingerprint match?

guys, wine devs fixed mgq

Bugs fixed in 2.16 (total 19):
43510 Monster Girl Quest: crashes while playing

What is objectively best GNU/Linux font?

terminal:inconsolataZ
Everything else:Roboto
Kek: Comic Neue

I was referring to factual errors rather than things being done rather quickly but in that case I suppose it wouldn't hurt to fade to black with a visible change on a clock in the background (if there is one) to denote that time has passed.

You're just retarded and probly have autism if this bothers you so much, its entertainment, you watch it for enjoyment.

Fira Code and Fira Sans

It doesn't bother me at all, if it sounds like a give two shits I really don't.

Yet you keep posting

I'm trying to install Guix SD but I'm stuck in a Grub error, "failed to get canonical path of 'none'" Any clue of what this means?

What OS should I use for my normie parents? I finally talked them into hopping on Linux but I am not sure what distro is good for people without autism anymore. Mint? Mate? Vanilla Ubuntu?

I'm using KDE on Fedora 26. The Steam window won't resize below some certain height and width and it's fucking with my setup.

How do I teach this pos a lesson?

I need help with X. Right-clicking brings up the application list, how do I edit that list?

gentoo, definitely.
Funtoo is mostly dead.

>Steam

Has anyone here installed Windows and Linux as a dual-boot? How was it?

>Windows
>ever

I know, I know. I'm growing my drm-free collection, but there's still some limitations.

It was nice. Can you be more specific?

Works great for me. I install like 1 program on Linux every day. Slowly learning and adapting. This thread was very helpful and friendly!

>I know, I know. I'm growing my drm-free collection, but there's still some limitations.
I feel you there, the big one for me is how much I've already spent in the steam store.

noob question

does this mean that where ubuntu installed I only have 26GB for my home folder?

The other drive has windows on it. I need to keep dual boot incase work asks me to do something I need windows for but I'd prefer to have more space for Linux.

Can I increase the partition size without losing everything I set up so far?

I hope GOG eventually replaces it. Check GOG Connect. It gives you games you have on steam directly on GOG. It's limited to a few games only, but it might surprise you.

Pain in the ass on Arch, finally got it working-ish, switched to Win 7/Debian dual boot, a kit easier, booted into Debian, haven't booted into Windows since and that was about 6 months ago now.

tldr: wouldn't waste time on that pointless exercise again/10

That's what it looks like. You can take some of the free space from the windows partition though if you think you'll need it. Most Linux partition utilities are pretty good at resizing partitions without corrupting your data.

It wouldn't kill them to work it into the scripts. You don't have to have the camera roll for 6 hours on the screen, you can just cut and have the actors act like it took 6 hours.

How you couldn't piece this together yourself actually kind of amazes me.

How do I install from usb?

Thanks for the heads up, last time I looked at GoG's service they didn't have that kind of integration yet.

pls respond

Because doing that multiple times EVERY episode would look stupid.

Thats 26GB for your OS and programs. You dont have to store your files there. You can just mount your other partitions.

I do, but the grub loader doesn't actually work so I have to manually select my boot drive from my bios.

This adds about 20 seconds, but I only boot into windows maybe 2-3 times a week to play titanfall and never any other time, so it works out for me. I've decided I won't touch any new games that don't come with a linux port. Makes it easier to run linux when you simply don't use non-linux software.

Only things I really miss are mspaint and irfanview desu
Also libre office is total trash compared to excel.

No it wouldn't. It would build up an expectation with the audience - lookups etc. are not something to be done willy nilly. It takes time and effort.

The writers are simply too lazy and stupid to integrate the reality of computer software and use into their shitty TV dramas.

Thanks. If I set up another partition would I be able to link my home folder to it? or could I extend the ubuntu one?

You can "connect" your partitions to almost any folder you want.

It would look like shit on camera.
Dramas are in real time relative to the show,putting in 5 time lapse breaks the flow of the show

Thanks for all the help, guys. I solved it. I just tinkered with the special window/application settings to force a minimum size.

My pleasure.

Then don't put in 5 time lapse breaks

This isn't a difficult concept.

Cool. Sorry for dumb questions, I don't know anything about partitioning drives.

I think I found what I need here help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving