What distro and de should I install Sup Forums?

what distro and de should I install Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

p.of.je/b92dcb8a
wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFlavors
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Source Mage

NixOS and any DE you want.

slackware + compiz

do it faggot

gentoo

Brave

No systemd, right?

How do I make a bootable usb

People that list the different *buntu flavors as separate distros are fucking scrubs

p.of.je/b92dcb8a

Any distribution with systemd it just works and will cause butthurt of Sup Forums paranoiacs.

Flavours, not flavors, use the language of Byron and Shakespeare.

Use GuixSD if you really need to be rid of systemd. But avoiding something you'll have very little interaction with seems counter-productive.

Arch, it just works it's rolling and always up to date.

DE: KDE for work i3 for play.

>Arch
>Just werks
pick one

>not already having something installed

Any that refer to the separate flavours of *buntu as if they were different distributions of operating system should suffer belittling remarks from those more enlightened.

Win10

They are different operating systems. They share the same base but that is where the similarities end. Everything else that's put into it is up to the flavours. Of course I'm sure you already knew that.

>Arch
>Just

>I have no idea what I'm talking about
>the DE is different so everything has changed
wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFlavors

Think about it for a second:

If Win10 was a linux distro, it would have already been fixed by volunteers.

All of them.

>>the DE is different so everything has changed

That's not what I said. I said the base is the same. Everything else is completely different. It might just be Ubuntu with a different DE but that's still enough of a distinction to warrant it being referred to as a separate OS.

If you refer to Ubuntu you're talking about Ubuntu with Unity (soon to be Gnome)

If you refer to Kubuntu you're talking about Ubuntu with KDE.

It's important to make this distinction otherwise if you have a problem someone might lead you down the wrong hole.

I installed Gentoo and Xfce4 on top with zero prior Linux experience (okay, I used Raspbian but that doesn't count). I've never used anything else and know nothing about any other distros or DEs but somehow I know that my choices were the superior ones, all other ones are trash and the people using them are subhumans who should be gassed.

Is this the state of *buntu users? If you all pull from the same repository and the only difference is the packages that come pre-installed on the system, how is it a different OS? If I install kububtu, then added xfce and switched to that from the display manager, did I just change it to xubuntu?
No, because I've been using Ubuntu the whole fucking time.

If you are "common computer user" and you just want to have system you just "Install and work/play". Linux mint with cinnamon DE is your best choice. Easy install, and in most cases it works as it should after installation.

If you want to geek and just learn more crazy stuff with linux, try Debian or you can go further... with arch or gentoo.

Or you can make own distro with "Linux from scratch" if you really have Alot of time and will to spend

>Fedora with LXDE
>Debian with LXDE
Can't go wrong with a simple and functional DE and one of the two biggest repos on the planet.

Can someone redpill me on the NixOS and GuixSD meme?

Ubuntu with lxde or xfce DE.

>i3 for play
>not i3 for work
fucking ricers

Void or Parabola

sudo dd if=/input.iso of=/output/sdX bs=512

CloverOS

their real championing ability is in their respective package managers nix / guix

they allow more flexibility and portability

i suspect they will be more popular on other distros

snaps + guix/nix could be used on basically any OS theoretically

guix is even being worked on for GNU/Hurd

TempleOS

Both NixOS and GuixSD are great.

> Can someone tell me about NixOS and GuixSD
Imagine editing a config file to install/uninstall programs.
Imagine having reproducible builds, being able to
rollback your system if you wish to do so
Image to set up a new machine, you only have to slap your config on it and execute the reconfig command.

Multiple users can have different versions of packages without problems.

What is the most aesthetic Distro?

fedora because it just werks

Currently using Solus w Budgie, liking it but there are a few thing that aren't perfect. I'm looking at either Manjaro or Fedora, which would be a better move for someone who is still relatively noob?

Hey just wanted to ask you guys before I do something. But my friends computer gimped out giving bsods on every boot. So I decided to install a distro, decided on lubuntu cause it was light. However it took me about 15 tries to do it cause the installer would fail about half way. Cept I finally got through, upon updating there are failures. Every once in a while a few small lines appear right before it freezes. This is hard drive failure right? Just want to be sure this is the only problem and not gpu.

Just try it. You don't even need to install the full distributions (though you'll miss many benefits). You can install Nix and Guix on any distribution and mess around with it yourself.

>Byron and Shakespeare
>not Nbabiwone and Shakes-Spear

Try linux mint.

Tails, trisquel work well. Parabola and void look interesting.

Which is better?

Every point you mentioned is the reason we have configuration managers for years on linux. Check out Chef, Puppet or Ansible. Using Guix just because of that is really poor.

Aight hope that works

> Config managers
Ansible etc. do not work like that at all, look again.

1. gentoo
if no time
2. void - really really comfy

team debian

>mfw this is real
what the actual fuck

You wouldn't have this problem if you had just compiled gentoo from source.

Why dont more people use nixos

Arch.

>functional de
>doesnt even have window snap feature
At least say xfce or mate

Manjaro