Why does FAT32 exist?

Since NTFS is faster, can accomodate for larger volumes and can handle larger files than FAT32, why does it exist? You can R/W NTFS on Linux, OSX and Windows, so why don't manufacturers ditch FAT32 on storage devices?

Sorry if it's a dumb question.

Other urls found in this thread:

Sup
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Effort.

Your average consumer wouldn't know the difference anyway.

>can't copy files over 4 GB
>won't notice

Old systems/appliances still require it

They literally won't. Yify rips are 1-2GB. tv episodes 200-400 MB, and songs 4-8 MB.

dumb namefags gonna dumb

fat32 has no file/dir perms making it perfect for cameras, camcorders and such

imo main reason why its still highly used

regular person wont do like chown -R /some/mountpoint

or set filesystem acls just to copy a couple of photos or videos

You can't boot NTFS (BIOS can't read it) and you first load a 100 MB FAT32 partition which can read it and boots the rest of Windows.
To create a bootable USB / disc / whatever it needs to be FAT32 or else BIOS can't read it as I said.

So yeah basically useless amirite?

Reminder most people don't store entire 300 obscure Linux distros as tarballs 'just in case'. Most people store documents, music, and pictures, all of which are a few MB at most. Big apps are made of lots and lots of small files, so that doesn't affect anything either.

I don't know how to turn it off. Also do you know?

faggot

Sup Forums.org/faq#postanon

Shit totally forgot about that.
A thread died for my brainfart.

meant to reply to

Will we ever have a filesystem better than NTFS, and when?

because microsoft does not factor in basic computer science concepts when designing their products

Guardians of the Galaxy volume 2 was 12GB

not the yify rip, you know the one 90% of pirates download?

macOS cant write NTFS volumes

NTLDR stored in the Volume Boot Record does that.

that's what exFAT is for

this

also macs and their users are gay

>you can r/w ntfs on linux/osx
ntfs-3g write performance is awful, and other alternatives are paid

No, the specific transcode you got was 12GB

What happened to that new file system MS was going to use in Win 8(?)..? It's been so long I forgot the name.

>"Hurr durr look at me I changed my name to impersonate someone else on this thread."

licensing and other legalese shit

fat32 is simple to work with and is free to use or at least nobody even gives a fuck about the license anymore

ntfs is proprietary microsoft garbage and it's not even good at all

Quit pretending to be me.

Yeah, when I downloaded the second hobbit it was 32GB, but it was only a bit longer.

>he doesn't know about exFAT

H-how did you know? I thought no one would notice...

Again, the specific transcode you got was 32GB. The yify transcode is 2.5GB.

ReFS? I mean it's "there" but you have to manually create volumes using this file system

I'm serious. Just stop.

Not a free format in any way though. Most Linux partitions managers don't support it even if you have exfat-fuse or whatnot installed. Gparted lists it but has it greyed out. There needs to be a free format without file permissions and whatnot.

I thought I told you to quit using my name.

iirc NTFS requires a licence for implementation in commercial products. Either for that, or for the implementation details (the actual filesystem standard on which you can build an implementation). Or it is protected by some patents, for which you need a licence.

So for a commercial product your choice is either

- paying fat dough for Microsoft. Not an option even if it costs 1 cents per device, because that's still 1 cents per device saved.

- use a freetard implementation that may or may not have bugs. Then they have no one to relegate the responsibility to in case a bug is found (ie. "We didn't fuck it up, the library Microsoft released is at fault"). Plus they have to fix the bug themselves AND handle the fallout in PR, engineering time, and money. As well as the legal issues, if it turns out that freetard implementation infringes on some patents of a random Texan company.

- use FAT32 which has none of those issues.

Just came back from a shower and saw this thread.
Why the hell is everyone using my name?

>my name
Nice try, phony

Fat32 is for bootable USB.

Thanks to That i have multiboot USB pendrive with some bootable tools and Linux mint installer. Just to repair my aunt's/uncle's/cousin's computer.

>38 replies
>21 IPs
I have a feeling all the namefags in this thread is just one person LARPing with himself

hahaha, really funny guys, that's enough

>that's enough
So you're going to stop using my name?

This

It's just legacy. Most flash drives are formatted as FAT32, but even Microsoft wants people to move to exFAT which is better equipped to handle flash storage and can handle file sizes greater than 4GB.

>even Microsoft wants people to move to exFAT
Maybe because exFAT is also Microsoft's filesystem.

All those things you listed would be pure shit quality.

Nobody said otherwise.

For 8-bit H264 video not 10-bit 22CRF HEVC video.

exFAT is shitty and unstable across OS's. Stick a flash drive with it on Windows, then Linux or Mac, and watch it corrupt data. I get the need for a "just werkz" mobile format that doesn't bother with securities but Microsoft shit the bed with this one.

>b-but yify
they've already proven that they are deemed shit quality.

No. Fucking. Shit.

I never claimed yify had good quality. In fact switching from 8-bit to 10-bit HEVC would be a huge boost in quality alone for the same file size.

Again, nobody said otherwise, you goddamned retard.