/tpg/ ThinkPad General

Previous thread: →

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) and P, T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/sys/d/barely-used-lenovo-thinkpad/6288719337.html
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Refurbished-ThinkPad-T430-14-Notebook-Windows-10-Pro-/401396007803
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T430-Core-i5-3320M-2-6GHz-4GB-320GB-14-Win10-Webcam-DVDRW-/112543160704
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sup Forums i really need your help now.

Ill be buying a ThinkPad soon, on my country's version of ebay there are plenty of x220 t420 and popular models like that.

Now my worry is, are these laptops good for web dev/design?

Im gonna use Linux

I need to know if something like (pic related) is at least strong enough to play some smaller games I.E. League of legends?

And finally, is it often that thinkpads are BIOS locked? If so how is a BIOS lock removed?

Be serious pls babes

2nd for finally a decent OP who posts a relevant OP pic

3rd for got a T61, read the guide, i made a bad chioice.... xDDDDD

You were actually 3rd m8

They're pretty nice for webdev and dev in general. Really, they fly with Linux. I'm a engineering student and coming from a A8 16RAM desktop I felt no difference in daily/professional use.

I'm still using a T61 that I made from like 8 other scrapped T61. Using it for 4 years now.

Struggling to find a distro for my x60t tbqh, the more obscure ones run smooth but disable all the buttons while ubuntu lets everything work but runs sluggish
Also I cannot fucking find the edid no matter how hard I try ree
How hard is installing gentoo really?

Try Salix

Give Void a shot.

TELL ME WHAT THE IDEAL T420 IS WITH UPGRADES/MODS

T420 with i7 upgrade
buy an m14x r2 and swap the screens
16GiB ram
Replace dvd with third ssd

CatPads.

Can the X220s run Coreboot? I want something small and light for Arch that I can mostly compile small projects on, most of the rest of my work will be SSHed to a remote supercomputer. I see the X220 is great for Coreboot, but I don't need the extra power or weight.

Fucking hell THANK YOU

I'm a fucking numbskull when it comes to Thinkpads. How simple is it to add or remove parts from a Thinkpad? Thinking of maybe getting a t430 off of eBay soon and I may need it to hold me over for a while.

Gonna try to get a thinkpad T430, best upgrades to make it the best?

Messaged this guy and he took a 200 offer. Is this a good deal on an X230? It does have IPS losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/sys/d/barely-used-lenovo-thinkpad/6288719337.html

Pretty modular machines. You won't have a problem.

SSD, 9 cell, RAM, T420 keyboard etc...

USD? I'd say yes.

Very easy.
Don't even worry about it, plenty of tutorials and guides on the web.

Yeah USD. Thank you

Hey Sup Forums!
Some help? I have an IBM Thinkpad 600, the problem is, dont show nothing. The LCD 100% black.
Try connect the Thinkpad to a monitor, but nothing (i dont know if the function keys works).
Dont make sounds (beeps)

Anyone knows something?

Does the X230 run hot? I've been on the fence between it and the T430

Mine certainly doesn't.

Maybe it's fried up. Check the mobo if you have the skills, or take it to a proper electronics repair shop.

Does the cooler goes off when you turn it on, any lights etc?

I hope not.
Nop, steel running.
Light, power and data. Look in the manual, seems to be ok.

when is retro thinkpad coming out?

Best cpu i can put in the t430?

elitbook touchpad > thinkpad nipple > thinkpad touchpad

I'm the user that posted the auction I won for a t500 for ten dollars with just the battery and not any of the other peripherals. The listing was removed yesterday, should I just wait for the item to be delivered (could be a month from now, but I don't think they even sent it yet desu) or take it up with ebay now?

I never got a notification it was sent so they might have jewed me, so I think I probably should take it up with ebay.

No.

ThinkPad nipple >>>>>>>>> MacBook touchpad > elitebook touchpad > every other touchpad >>>>>>>>>> ThinkPad touchpad

post your nipple settings. I can't find anything comfortable for me. Either it's taking 20 seconds to go from one corner to the other (fullhd by the way), or it goes all over the place. Also pressing the nipple hard makes my weakling hands cramp.

Just whatever they're set to by default. Generally comfy on Linux but I was getting hand cramps on Windows 7. I think the 768p screen scaling might be helping.

Friend just moved out to college and left behind a T500. It doesn't have a charger. Would it be worth it to purchase a charger? Iv'e never used a ThinkPad but this thing has so much variety I sort of want to see what it can do.

not him but here's mine. once i press it a certain amount it literally flies across the screen

>acceleration on
Why

because that's what makes it speed up when you first start pressing it. Otherwise it's slow as fuck

Just set it to be faster.

>installed loonix
>significant screen tearing while browsing websites.

I need muh precision and muh predictablity

Just got a T430 what do

Not with loonix drivers it's not.
can peppermint work on a zbook?

yeah that's what it does...

notice the difference from the lowest to the highest setting.

it's just muscle memory. After a few days you get so used to it. I only have a trackpoint, no trackpad so it's all I ever use

What fag distro is that?

one that actually lets you change the trackpoint settings without writing a script, Peppermint OS 8.

Peppermint

Looking at a bunch of different thinkpads. For those who own these following models what is the actual battery life, thank you.

T420/430/430s
x220/230

3-cell
2-3 hours normal usage
~4 hours CPU throttled light usage

Peppermint is good desu

i miss my cat. feelsbadman.

Windows 7 Lenovo Power Manager said I had around 9-12 hours of light use on both my X220 and X230. 94Wh batteries.

Replaced my good old Tecra M5 with X240

What are /tpg/'s opinions on modern thinkpad? ie ones currently sold on Lenovo website? Thinking about picking up an x270, or t470s. X270 has the comfiest size and amazing battery life, but t470s is overall a more powerful machine, and has more ram potential. >Inb4 just get a t420
I might, but i want to know about modern models as well before making a decision

t420

T470s doesn't make much sense. Go for the X270 T470, or the X1 Carbon.
The P51 and P71 are also very good.

Except for ebay what are some places I can get a x61 under 100 euros in Europe ?

Like mods and shit I mean

You may wish to consider the T470p, which will get you a quad core laptop that is smaller than the P51/71.

Is that for the t models?

Shieeeeeeeeeeeet

He's talking about 3-cells, I'm amazed they even make batteries that small.

I had kind of disregarded the p series, but ill give it a second look. X1 is the dream machine, buts its very pricey. Might as well just get a razer at that point.
Thanks bud, ill look into it

Anybody have any experience with the x270? Is it worth the money?

If that's true im going to seriously consider the x230. What did you have in it?

Thumbnail is an actual sneak peak of the Retro or just some internet bullshit?

I've switched permanently to my X220 instead, but I believe my X230 is a 3320m and 8gb 1600mhz RAM.

Mebe Ubuntu Minimal?

yes

Does anybody own a ThinkPad 850, one of the rarest ThinkPads ever?

10/5

Bought this for $115, Just added a SSD for $50 and 4gb ram for $25. Also added a new battery for $35. So far this T420 has been a pleasure to use. Loving this keyboard. Also did I receive the model with a NVS 4200M? The description stated it only game with a 3000HD integrated. Any input from the Sup Forumsuys would help.

No but I hope to some day.

But I am posting from an X40, the finest laptop ever made.

You have the dual graphics model.

Is a T430 with a keyboard replacement worth it? Or should I just look for a T420?

Meaning? My first T420 be gentle.

T420 for sure, I honestly didn't see a major difference when it comes to the hardware other then the keys. I made a few upgrades to this thing and it's probably the best laptop I've had in awhile.

Fucking nothing.

That NVS is barely better than the integrated jewtel HD3000.

Why change to the x220? Thanks for the help

Contemplating picking up a T430. I have a T420 now with an SSD and USB3 card, but I think the upgraded screen, newer processor (3rd gen vs 2nd) and nvidia 5400 might be a nice boost.

is t430 for 320$ good deal? 4gb ram and 500gb HDD no SSD

No?
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Refurbished-ThinkPad-T430-14-Notebook-Windows-10-Pro-/401396007803

>zbook
what are the specs? If it's made after 2010, it should. It was meant to be lightweight and still functional.

Sorry meant this, has buyout
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T430-Core-i5-3320M-2-6GHz-4GB-320GB-14-Win10-Webcam-DVDRW-/112543160704

T500 is usable and gets 4-5hrs on Linux with TLP and maybe a bit more on Windows, make sure you install latest BIOS on Windows first.

Hi /tpg/. Want to upgrade my carbon x1 (2nd gen) to a IPS FHD. How to not fuck this up? Any recommendation about where and what to buy? Thanks

I just had a thinkpad x200 tablet stolen from me a week or two ago out of my Rendezvous. Only owned it for about 2 weeks. Was the perfect computer for running my on-site services... Need to setup a router, AP.. download a driver... etc. whip it out. Glad I only had time to throw 8gb of ram in, and not an SSD...

>ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Refurbished-ThinkPad-T430-14-Notebook-Windows-10-Pro-/401396007803
>Lives in India kms

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. As an owner of an X200 tablet I couldn't imagine having mine stolen. It has a certain amount of charm that few computers haven, even thinkpads. Are you going to get a replacement one or are you thinking of moving up to an x220T?

N e one got a link to the Foil Toaster stickers by chance? Just need an image.

My younger brother just purchased a x270 for school work. Did I make a mistake? I'm pretty confident on it from seeing the price and specs

X1C 5th gen

looking at the base model from the website, it looks pretty good. I wish i could have an X series that was that lightweight and powerful. but I just can't deal with the keyboard on the newer models. And the trackpad is too damn big.

really tough to say. Probably the best thing to do is do a full panel swap. I know my X1C3 4K display used a completely different ribbon cable and size compared to the X1C2, which had 4K capability.

Sorry I can't confirm.

>mfw I just let a client of mine 'borrow' a T430 w/ 2.8GHz i5, 8GB RAM and 500GB for three months.

ok TPG, tell me about your hackintosh thinkpads.
looking to run a T-420, but may buy something newer. to Mac-simize.

Been considering a Thinkpad for a while, but recently found out that I can get Dell stuff through work at a substantial discount, so I'm thinking of getting a Latitude, Precision, or something with a clit mouse that doesn't look like it was won with tickets at fucking Golf n' Stuff (like the Inspirons). Is there a current T4XX equivalent that Sup Forums recommends? All the comparisons I've managed to turn up are for models that aren't listed on Dell's website anymore, so any advice regarding what's currently available is double appreciated.

>tfw just bought a T430 with 1600x900 and 8GB RAM for $210

Did I do good?

Anything missing from/on it?

Is 85$ good price for X60 in good condition?

No.

Only minor scruffs on case, some wear on trackpad, AC adapter included, battery included (but seller won't guarantee performance).

Seems reasonable if it's in good physical condition. I got a w520 for $260 with nothing missing.

anyone have that picture of the asian girl using a thinkpad with stickers on it?

must be nice......