Want to switch to Linux distro just to see what I'm missing out on...

Want to switch to Linux distro just to see what I'm missing out on. I've been using Windows most of my life but recently I threw a few distros on a thumb drive with Yumi and really liked Mint but what's Sup Forumss suggestion?

install gentoo

don't bother, it's a waste of time

does ubuntu have babes?

mint would be most comfy for a WinHERP-DERP, but you probably will bitch out pretty fast.

Linux is typically only enjoyable for IT professionals.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Try Devuan, is easy to install, has all the advantages of Debian but none of the crap.

That drawing is so fucking old, Mint has no place in it.

no stay in windows, dont bring your cancer threads complaining about your lack of fansy windows shit.

Just go with Ubuntu MATE. It's basically Ubuntu but with a more familiar desktop than Unity. If you really want something different, try out Ubuntu with Unity and you'll experience something very different. A lot of people like Unity but a lot of people don't.

I've heard Linux Mint works well for new users since it has pretty much everything you could need without having to install new programs. That should hold you off until you learn how to use the command line and access the software repositories.

One distro I would highly recommend is Peppermint OS. It's a version of Ubuntu that takes a few things from other distros and makes a super OS. It's lightweight and has a lot of features that allow you to customize it. I'm actually using it right now.

I remember that chick from a wallpaper I had like 10 years ago. Now I can't find it but was pretty cool.

Debian. Try it.

I thought I was the only peppermint user on this board

The best distro is the one you enjoy and used regularly.

Manjaro.
Cinnamon or KDE version.

I personally dislike Debian and it's derivatives and use Fedora.

As mentioned earlier by use the distro that feels most comfortable to you; not what others hype up as 'the best'.

If I were you I'd focus instead on which desktop environment you prefer. It's possible that you might prefer KDE Plasma over Gnome or Unity due to it's visual similarities with windows. Regardless of your choice of distro you should be able to get most if not all desktop environments.

>mfw im retarded and submit while im still typing.

for the love of god, don't use mint. its just a shitty fork of Ubuntu with no real thought for the lifespan of its use. Just use an Ubuntu derivative or Fedora if you're starting out.

I used to use OS 7 a few years back but hopped a few distros when i needed to record some things. But now i've gone back and am trying out OS 8. I forgot how awesome Peppermint is. I really wish more people used it.

shunya yamashita.

Linux is garbage. I log in to use my networking tools and log out when I am done.

Windows, Mac, and Android all provide way better end user experiences.

I think Linux Mint Cinnamon is the only way to go, and I have tried "real" distros as well. You might get bored never having to fix things or set things up and realize that your favorite thing to do on your computer is get it ready to do things but never actually do things

Windows is garbage. I log in to play games and log out when I'm done. Linux provides a way better experience without botnet

You will miss being spied on... When you know that Microsoft doesn't watch everything you do you might get into some degenerate shit

Linux is enjoyable for everyone. My old mother much prefer Linux to Windows

I would suggest trying a bunch of distros, and seeing what you like. I wound up sticking with Mint.

Ubuntu if you don't know what you are doing Debian if you do.

Variants of Ubuntu are also very good choices, but mint should be avoided as it has it has a history of insecurities and problems.

>Android > Linux
Consider my almonds activated by such an tech illiterate statement.