Bored and want to learn a new language. Shit I already know: C, C++, C#, Java, Javascript, PHP, and Python...

Bored and want to learn a new language. Shit I already know: C, C++, C#, Java, Javascript, PHP, and Python. I was thinking about Rust or Go, but they both seem like meme languages. What does Sup Forums recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

tour.golang.org/welcome/1
www2.cs.arizona.edu/icon/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

APL

go is less of a meme than rust
learn elixir if you want to go full meme

Haskell is fun

I think I tried this one out for shits and giggles a few years back. I remember it being pretty awful. I lasted about 30 minutes.

try building something instead of learning some meme language that you're just gonna forget two weeks later you NEET

VB wouldn't be much of a stretch for you. maintaining legacy support gets big bucks.

If you want to learn a scripting language I recommend ruby as it has the power of a normal language but the function of a scripting language.

Idris

I don't think go would be worth it, except if you're looking for a job at google, they pretty much made this language to increase the efficiency of their cheap and untalented programmers

>rust

systems programming
can't do assembly

clojure

Don't listen to the Sup Forums circlejerk. Teach yourself something different, yet important.

You're probably right. Idris will be too hard for regular, day job coders.

Ruby or VB

>Fortran
>For trannies
It's literally in the name, why do you do this to yourselves?

6502 assembly.

What language will make me worth tons of money?

lisp

That would be Go. Counting RSUs, Sr Google devs make $250K/yr easy. Horrible, boring language, but worth a lot.

Perl.

Thanks. Adding GO and Ruby to my portfolio. :))

Oh yes, forgot to ask. Will knowing Go make me more likely to get a job or contract offers?

"hey, i want to learn another slightly variation of algol", the thread.

Instead of Ruby, you should pair Go with Angular (if going for the Google job) or ReactJS on the front end. Even if Google doesn't hire you, you're a "full stack developer."

> Learn another language

What about make an useful project instead?

I don't plan on working for Google. I'm more after smaller companies since I'm too autistic to be in that huge environment.
Also I'm learning ruby as its required for my CS major.

Where can I learn Go?

Learn nim if you want to go full retard

who is this fat girl

Learning for fun? To expand and challenge your mind? Something lispy. Read SICP and learn scheme, perhaps. Or clojure if you want to get at least some employability out of it.

Fuck that. Write your own in C. The learning experience will give you a great deal of understanding of all the bullshit that take for granted.

>But they seem like meme languages
You already know all of the languages necessary to get a job. Why not learn a meme language? It could be useful for fun projects you do on the side.

Go. The creator of Node.js switched to Go because he said it was better than Node.js

tour.golang.org/welcome/1

Also google "learn golang". Write an IRC bot or a REST API.

You can actually, there's an asm macro

>know

On Win I was using NARS2000, what I should use on Linix?

second for haskell

Go is nothing new. Learn a Lisp. Or Rust if you're not quite as adventurous.

>shit I already know=shit I know how to make a fizzbuzz in
Current state of Sup Forums.

State in years of experience and projects made.

Kek

Kotlin

lol no generics is the biggest meme. it literally is a language for retards

Learn Rust. It's amazing and will definitely be the future of programming.

kek

www2.cs.arizona.edu/icon/

haskell

>Shit I already know: C, C++, C#, Java, Javascript, PHP, and Python
You know neither of those.
fuck off

Maybe try Scala? The language has many features & the ecosystem has a lot of nice libs and sbt (the most common build tool) is nice, too.

Learn functional programming.
Racket is pretty good.

LISP

create your own language and learn it. You sound like a very talented programmer

>I already know all of these languages

Then learning a new language is pointless. Worry about building shit with what you know instead of latching on to some shit meme that learning "the perfect set of languages" is going to make you teh leet haxxor. Get busy making shit or kys faggot.

Okay, but what am I supposed to make?

How many hours does it take to learn a language?

Learn the SQL Syntax.

Nigga this.

>know
Post fizzbuzz in two of the languages listed

“Know”
Knowing how to output text to the console doesn’t count as knowing a programming language user.

Chicken
Scheme implementation with fantastic FFI and easy integration with C and C++ libraries.
Lack of native threads is kind of a bummer though.

>neither

Learn something that gives you a fresh view..

If you learn Go you'll be bored, since it's basically "C for noobs" + some halfway decent concurrent fuckery. Not bad, but not brilliant either.

Rust might be interesting if you really are into flipping bits and so on.

But I would recommend getting into functional stuff:
Start slow and read a tutorial about the lambda calculus. You can learn the basics in one day.
The work yourself though SICP, which teaches you Scheme (a Lisp dialect).
Then you can learn something more powerful like Racket, CL or Clojure.
Eventually you can give Haskell a try, if you want the ultimate functional fuckery.
If you are STILL not satisfied learn Erlang and Prolog.

But SICP alone will give you interesting insights. It a lot of fun to read, really.

Try an esoteric language such as Brainfuck.