/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

makeuseof.com/tag/forget-linux-use-windows/
wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Getting_Window_Managers_to_work_properly
wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Getting_File_Managers_to_work_properly_in_Window_Managers
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/File_manager_functionality
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Polkit
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

insatlling arch linux, it says partition 1 contains a vfat signature, and if i want to remove it. This thinkpad came with win7, should i just remove it?

Reminds me of someone.

yes. It probably just detected the old fs (and probably ntfs and fat has similar "signature")

you have to upgrade to windows 10 to remove windows 7

Yea you want to clean it all into one partition then break it down to whatever you want

I truly am the only sane person on Sup Forums

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

reminder

Is there a downside to Antergos? It seems like Arch minus the pain that is installing
Or to make it more provocative, is there any reason to using Arch and not Antergos that are not being an edgelord?

yeah

yeah

yeah

Here is your (You) dumb GNUhater, don't spend it on musl libc apps all once.

What's THAT???

~ $ sudo xdg-open ./

(nemo:62634): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
Nemo-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: 'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error No such file or directory
Please ask your system administrator to enable user sharing.

>cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error No such file or directory

you might want to enable user sharing and creating that directory.

From what I read on their website, it sounds like it's just a set of install scripts that set up arch for you. If you understand Linux well enough to troubleshoot your own problems you'll be fine, but the arch philosophy is to install it the manual way so you can fix your own problems. Arch is not a system where everything is likely to "just werk" out of the box. That being said, you will get a very similar system.
Their userbase is fairly elitist and will likely just link you to a wiki page instead of giving you personalized support with any issues that they consider to be a stupid question. As long as you're willing to research your own problems and try to solve them yourself, you'll be fine.

>"just werk" out of the box
But it does.
> just link you to a wiki page
The wiki pages are very in depth and account for far more issues then most people think of at random. If you come back with detailed information on your issue and have followed or consulted the wiki, its alot easier to give specific information since you've atleast attempted to follow the wiki and we know you're on at minimal the right path

What kind of way do you guys watch anime/download anime on GNU/linux? I heard there was a terminal program for that.

all I wanted to do is opening a file manager in the ~ directory with sudo. Why do I need to activate anything?

I thought messing with my graphics drivers might work, but I have now made the problem worse. I was dual booting with windows before but I cant seem to boot to it now (though the partition seems to be there with the data intact) and solus will now do the thing i was describing before with booting at all and not just resuming from suspend.

:/

>I was dual booting with windows before but I cant seem to boot to it now (though the partition seems to be there with the data intact)

1. install os-prober
2. run grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
3. reboot, windows should be in the grub menu.

Anybody here using taskwarrior?
What is a practical format to enter a day and at least also an hour?
Also post your cool aliases.

i'm operating off of a livedisk (usb installer) for solus right now, would this still work (it appears i already have os-prober installed on it) or are there going to be complications because i'm not technically on the whole computer?

sorry if this is retarded

trying to install arch linux here on my t450. there's so many partition types, can someone tell me if this is right:

/dev/sda1 1G EFI System
/dev/sda2 8G Linux swap
/dev/sda3 110G Linux filesystem

now i'm wanting to do
mkfs.ext4 on sda1 and sda3, and mkswap on /dev/sda2

how does that look? would it work?

No, what I wrote only works from an already installed system.

You might wanna try subergrub2 disk if you want to boot into windows/nt.

you need to mkfs.vfat /dev/sda1 if you want EFI boot

Any AMD friendly Linux distros? Screen tearing drives me insane. Using Linux Cinnamon atm.

when do you have screen tearing? I have a bit when I scroll fast but it doesn't bother me

makeuseof.com/tag/forget-linux-use-windows/

I won't even give you yous for your bad bait

install compton

get cucked

From the shit I see in here and in /sqt/ I've taken to assuming that the average Sup Forums poster actually won't check a wiki page first.

I'm trying to use my PS2 controller on PC with the PS2 controller to USB adapter. All buttons/analog stick worked apart from the square, circle, and cross button since they're somehow on a separate device. I tried qtsixa, but that didn't work.

Richard Stallman is a communist.

Wrong. He's a filthy autistic communist.

No, he isn't.

/thread

So this is it? We just post memes at each other until we go our seperate ways?
Such is the fate of generals, I guess.

Can any of you guys explain to a brainlet that has broken Arch in the past and don't understand the wiki what is the difference between -Syy and -Syu and when to do each?
I just don't want this thing to break in the middle of the semester.
Thanks.

you know, the plant would be bigger if the fat guy had been competent
someone more capable has to prepare a new field

I've been using Arch for like 5 years and I've never -Syy'd once. Just keep your shit updated and avoid dumb AUR shit that has stupid version dependencies that end up putting your system out of sync with the main repo. Hell, just avoid dumb AUR shit all together, or if you insist, read comment sections before uptating software.

I've been using Arch for like 6 years, loser.

-yy forces a package list update

>Not using AUR.

Alright, taking notes.

Just making a point. Go meme somebody else.

is arch linux a meme?

What distro do I install in order to show that I am superior to everyone once I start CE?

I want everyone to call me lord and bow down before my magnificence.

Write your own or bust

Arch Linux of course.

Ive installed Xubuntu but it tears very hard out of the box. Should i install another compositor? Which one is the best? Should i delete the old one? Thanks guys, i slowly learn GNU/Linux and its great!

compton

LFS, my man. When you need software, write it yourself instead of screwing around with package management. Package management is for LOSERS.

Source Mage GNU/Linux

Is there any benefit to using LTS release of Ubuntu? What will happen after 9 months if i use non-LTS release?

You won't get updates.

>Is there any benefit to using LTS release of Ubuntu?
no
>What will happen after 9 months if i use non-LTS release?
official support ends, meaning no more small updates, including security updates
you gotta upgrade to the next big release

LTS only makes sense for servers

Kernel updates too? Pretty much important system things wont update anymore, right? Would you be able to "upgrade" to the next version in some simple manner without breaking everything? Thanks!

>Kernel updates too? Pretty much important system things wont update anymore, right?
yes
>Would you be able to "upgrade" to the next version in some simple manner without breaking everything?
I already answered that question here

Upgrading is no big deal.

If you use GNU, you support communism and the death of millions.

I use try not to use GNU too much and openly support the death of millions.

So there is really no reason for a regular user to use LTS release of Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu instead of the latest one, right? Im gonna install 17.04 then, thank you anons! You guys are the best!

Using the newest version is the best option for most people. Having an old but still supported LTS version can bring a lot of problems. You're gonna have outdated repos and libraries so at some point you're gonna come across a program from Github that won't work properly. LTS is only good for people who don't regularly change up stuff or install new software. It's something you would install on your Grandpa's PC.

Hi everyone,

I've fallen in love with i3wm. I've installed it on my Linux Mint installation. The workflow is basically perfect for me.

But I was wondering what I would run on top of it to make it somewhat more comfy. I don't really know how to do things like manage my network connections or control my systems volume from the terminal and I'd like to do that like in a regular DE. Any suggestions for that?

>i want to use a tiling wm but i want to do all the things that a floating wm gives me
No.

Have a headless Ubuntu server running at home and I have a spare ssd. What do? It's mainly a file/Plex/torrent/backup server. File caching is sort of pointless since I saturate my network anyway.

This has absolutely nothing to do with tiling vs. floating windows really

I just want a panel with a volume mixer, a network manager etc ...

Just install xfce things, they work very good with i3. As for internet, install nm-applet (but you probably have it already, so just add it to your i3 config)

Will Ubuntu survive when Canonical inevitably collapses from debt? They are heavily in debt currently and haven't made any money at all in all of their years of operating.

I find this worrisome for the longevity of Ubuntu, and all Ubuntu derivatives like Trisquel. How can a person comfortably use an OS that could stop receiving support at any time?

Then use fedora.

Work for a security company and we primarily use Ubuntu/Debian purely for compatibility reasons, and dabble with FreeBSD when we have to deal with ZFS.

>compatibility reasons,
Any software you run in ubuntu can be run on any other linux based distro

I'm well aware, I mean consistent software versions and Ubuntu specific patches.

say i want to get ssh access to a server, but won't be able to make use of keys.
how do i make password authentication secure as possible? know the disable of root login, would making use of a passphrase and a different port make it alright?
just a thought experiment, still making use of keys for now, was just curious

>would making use of a passphrase and a different port make it alright?

sure.
Is called security by obscurity.
You can control the ips the server receives connections from (useful in some escenarios).

Is there any intro to ricing? I've only been on Ubuntu for about a week now and don't want to mess things up.

If you need an intro, I recommend getting used to your system more first.

Whats the best flavor of manjaro?

None.
Use arch

The first thing you have to do is get used to the command line. There are tons of videos on youtube.

Your second step might be learning to use git because you most likely won't find a lot of themes in the official repos. They're more likely on Github.

Not helpful!

Thanks guys, I am pretty used to git but I probably am not the best at Ubuntu yet so I'll hold it out or look at some videos before I try myself.

you don't need any xfce things
install NetworkManager and nm-applet
use i3blocks instead of i3status (i3status is garbage)
make keybinds for volume control
these are mine
bindsym $mod+Right exec "amixer set Master 1%+"
bindsym $mod+Up exec "amixer set Master 5%+"
bindsym $mod+Left exec "amixer set Master 1%-"
bindsym $mod+Down exec "amixer set Master 5%-"
bindsym $mod+Ctrl+m exec "amixer set Master toggle"

if you have media keys on your keyboard, you can use these
bindsym XF86AudioRaiseVolume exec "amixer set Master 2%+"
bindsym XF86AudioLowerVolume exec "amixer set Master 2%-"
bindsym XF86AudioMute exec "amixer set Master toggle"

make sure you have alsa-utils (package that provides amixer and alsamixer)
if you want to use a GUI file manager, you might wanna read these
wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Getting_Window_Managers_to_work_properly
wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Getting_File_Managers_to_work_properly_in_Window_Managers
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/File_manager_functionality
you're also gonna need polkit and a graphical authentication agent if you wanna do stuff that requires higher privileges outside the terminal (like mounting other partitions via file manager and using gparted)
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Polkit
also, add keybinds for power management if you haven't already, these are mine
bindsym $mod+Shift+Escape exec "systemctl poweroff"
bindsym $mod+Shift+Delete exec "systemctl reboot"

>they work very good with i3
>good
well*

you're mentally incapacitated

always use XFCE if you can

why not fiddle around with ricing in a VM?

They'll get bought out. Their market share is too great for them to just collapse.

Maybe Valve will do it, one can only hope

What does using git have to do with themes?

>trisquel
that shit is dead. it's not been updated in years

Its easier to make a libertarian argument for using GNU/Linux. Sit down, son.

Most themes are distributed via Github so you should at least know how to clone with git

You don't have to. You can download the ZIP repository and copy it to the themes directory.

you can but the CLI is more comfortable and my experience with zip downloads is that half of them end up damaged. github is crap in that regard

user in other thread said that they got lots of money from microsoft so theyre fine.

Guys im dual booting Windows7 with Ubuntu currently on 1 SSD. I want to delete Ubuntu and install another distro. What will happen to GRUB after i delete Ubuntu partition and install another distro in its place? Do i need to install GRUB second time now during the new installation?

No, you need to generate a new config file for GRUB.