REACTOS 0.4.6 RELEASED

reactos.org/project-news/reactos-046-released

Many bugs were fixed. Some of them have to do with filesystem corruption and dual booting other are just user experience fixes.There is also support for more hardware.

What it can do:
Skyrim
Office 2010
minecraft
Spriteart(rom hacking and professional)
Half life 2
Emulation(n64,PS1,GBA,DS,etc.)

The iso is tiny, you can try it on a virtual machine.

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Russia-Picks-ReactOS
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

can I use it as a daily driver?

Neat.

It has picked up a lot of speed but it is still alpha.
There is still no updater and stability is shit.

Can you install Win XP drivers on it?

Depends,A tiny minority of nvidia and AMD drivers work on it.Wifi is Limited to only a few cards.A few sound cards work.Ethernet afaik should work.

ReactJS

So it still has a long way to go until it supports Windows XP that has been obsolete for over 3 years, and we all have already moved on to newer versions of Windows. I don't see it having any real purpose othen than being just a hobby project, seeing the rate of the development.

A lot of software written for 98/2000/XP is not compadible with 7/8/10. I can see this being a replacement for many of the old computers nostalgiafags have(can run on 64mb ram).
Other than that it could be used on many old computers that are being used for monitoring plane flights.Plus the ReactOS and Wine are very relaiant on each other.

It's actually picking up speed. And it's purpose is a free replacement for XP business computers.

In Russia it apparently is the second OS for software freedom phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Russia-Picks-ReactOS

Is there a official Wiki detailing the programs that run on it and if there are some problem with it or some special setting necessary? You know, like Wine's.

>I don't see it having any real purpose
Who the fuck do you think you are, Warren Buffett or something, no one gives a fuck about what you see it having, piss off with your dumbfuck opinions

Russia is funding it a little bit, and by extension, WINE as well.

Great, i'll try and see if it works on eeepc 701

>XP
>Obsolete
The only way XP could be obsolete is if most third party software support has dropped for it.

Can't wait until I can install this shit and have it stable on my Thinkpad

I know there's a ton of software still working on it, but with new software and hardware not supporting it, XP becomes more and more obsolete each year.

I hope they reach Windows 7 parity within this century

Pretty cool project for 95/98/xp/2k software.

One day I plan to try and get a embedded FreeDOS module to fallback on for muh DOS gayums.

I'd make it automount the virtualized disk from a iso.

It's obsolete by definition. Nothing new gets ported to it. It's now a legacy OS.

this guy nailed it.

plenty of businesses, corporations and government infrastructure relys on xp still.

the WINE project has worked hand in hand with them sharing developments which benefits linux and other communities

when windows 7 EOL and you have no alternatives for legacy software why wouldnt you use the FOSS alternative?

Is that why WINE has been fucking amazing recently?
I was able to run Near a tomato on my linux machine pretty much ootb only a few weeks after it came out.
My mind was blown

Can freedos actually run old dos games?
I have an old compaq machine running some version of msdos, might be cool to put freedos on it, but if it can't run games and programs there wouldn't really be any point.

If you have drivers for your machine, why not.

I have 0.4.6 up in qemu. It is smoother to use than 0.4.5, but a new libreoffice install had enough glitches that I could not interact with the spreadsheet properly.

it is progressing fast.

>it's progressing fast
>can't do shit outside a VM and even then it doesn't work properly
Yeah, really fucking fast.

In case you missed the memo, most software has dropped support for it (xp). If you care about your users you'd advise them to upgrade to an OS that gets security updates. Software will still run but unless your getting paid an awful lot why would you want to be inundated with support requests for a deprecated OS.

I'm all for backwards compatibility but when a vendor defecates the OS you should too.

/rant

I am pretty sure after the core functionality is solid, newer windows version compatibility is going to be easy.

A botnet free version of windows to run in a VM is enough for me.

Being able to do shit at all is a feat in itself. Since Windows is closed source an awful lot of poking and prodding will have been needed just to get this far. It's a miracle the thing exists in the first place as anyone with the slightest bit of sanity would have given up ages ago.

I have installed the last 2 or 3 versions in qemu around their release date, and every single one is noticeably better. Yeah, I know for years they did not have much to show, but in < 1 year the thing installs fast, and I can interact (simply) with the desktop and install aps without any real issues.

I'm a linux guy and don't see much use for this except the odd windows app, but this is going to be totally useable for 'mom' in a year. Nobody non-technical is going to know the difference, except reactos is simpler to use.

oh yeah, their 'rapps' thing for downloading and installing software is mostly open-source software. Forget linux, if you want to spread the love for open-source software to normies, this is the stack to use.

Firefox still supports XP (even though it's on the ESR channel which will end support sometime in 2018), so does most antivirus software (including Avast).

ESR stands for Extended Support Release so of course they still support it. Avast should know better unless they're actively patching the stuff Microsoft isn't it leads to a false sense of security.