Ubuntu 17.10

EXCITING RELEASE
>Bye Bye Xorg
>Wayland by default
>Smooth as fuck
>GNOME 3.26 innovations

Where were YOU when the Linux was finally ready for the desktop?

2018 will be the year of the Linux Desktop. This time is for real.

Other urls found in this thread:

bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ bug/1
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=745032
youtube.com/watch?v=qlt49R5IGTo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Wasn't 2009 the year of the linux?

it was supposed to be this year.

wait, people use the GNOME version?

2019 my dude

unity is kill so gnome's the default

Systrmd+ gnome. Why

I thought everyone just went straight for Xubuntu LTS

lts when

They can't even close a 13 year old bug
bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ bug/1

noo ;-;

Yeah I'll stay on 16.04

>Gnome desktop
Yuck.
Like really, disgusting.

>Wayland
It's shit

without resorting to memes explain the functional differences between xorg and wayland

If I wanted a systemdOS, I'd just use Fedora

wayland is liquid silk, xorg is liquid shit

But artful's gnome currently runs like shit, so I switched to xfce. So much better.

Hey user, thanks for the oldass news.

The alpha has been out since june.

Sure. Unless you hit this common bug bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=745032

Wayland is simple but lacks many features. Xorg is an abomination but you can get your work done with it.

also do not bother with 17.10 yet, it's unusable. The new dock is frozen, you can't move or resize or anything, and shell themes are broken again.

what's the last version that got shipped with unity as default de

16 04 3

17.04, but it doesn't matter man, it's going to lose all updates and support. Using Unity will be a security risk and also cause problems on the system since it won't be tweaked to keep up with new dependencies and features.

Literally no point to use ubuntu without unity. Unity is LITERALLY the only thing that made it different than literally every other Linux distro.

>Literally
>LITERALLY
>literally
pls no user-kun

well dude, you're LITERALLY r*ddit. I mean literally.

Literally a literal post literally posted by a literal user. Literally.

It has been Year of the Linux Desktop for 10 years on my desktop. I don't care what other people do, and quite frankly I prefer safety in obscurity, as malware writers are less likely to write malware for GNU/Linux when no one's using it.

>>>GNOME 3.26 innovations
LMAO, their latest """"innovation"""" was to remove tray icons, this mobile shit is worse than windows 8 LFMAO

damn... what *buntu should I use then. Unity if fucking comfy as hell.

will kubuntu follow and enable wayland by default? seems like kde has better support than gnome, anyone knows this?

gnome

Because upstart didn't start

Plasma on Wayland is still pretty shit, and kubuntu is fucking broken, if you want KDE you should use another distro

>This time for real.
Just like last time and the times before that

>>GNOME 3.26 innovations
10 FPS animations and no tray icons for the masses!
It's everything I ever wanted!

>I guess you have to decide if you are a GNOME app, an Ubuntu app, or an XFCE app unfortunately. I'm sorry that this is the case but it wasn't GNOME's fault that Ubuntu has started this fork. And I have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry.

Wait, literally?

>Recognizing Teenaged Females Through Writing Techniques: The Comprehensive Guide With Real-World Examples

>GNOME 3.26 innovations

16.04 LTS. It has 5 years of support from it's release date.

yeah just keep using 16.04 since it has 5 years of support, as the other user said. By then, someone would have taken over the unity project like they did with GNOME 2, which is now MATE.

that's good, going to stay with LTS for now

>Literally
>PLEASE take me seriously

tfw unity is ded

;_;

>>Bye Bye Xorg
Bye bye Ubuntu

Is Wayland better than xorg?

Good

Wayland is fucking laggy. I've had so much trouble with it. Xorg has been working for years, why remove it?

>Wayland
>GNOME
Nice to see Ubuntu is finally getting what Fedora had since 2016

*tips*

kysbuntu

Pathetic ubuntards.
>new ubuntu release
>mir dead
>unity dead
>going back to almost plain debian
Muh ubuntu, such exciting, many innovator.

Way better.
Wayland is built upon modern h/w.
No more '80s compromises on '10s h/w

Thanks for the reply. Will other Ubuntu flavors also switch to Wayland?

Confirmed. 2019 will be the year of the linux desktop.

glad to see unity go

>Wayland is simple but lacks many features
The irony is, the security of it goes straight out the window when the missing features begin to be implemented back in by DEs/WM.

Wait a moment, how the drivers work now then? with Xorg was a fucking nightmare, with wayland is better?

>he's not on openPEPE+KDE

as long as Xubuntu is still a thing I'm fine

You can't do anything the protocol doesn't allow

Wayland is shiny, polished, and full of potential
Also quick and more secure.

Xorg was designed from the get go to shoot GUI over networks.
Which you can still do with X11 forwarding. Cool on gigabit, you don't ever have to leave your main machine to get work done on others.
It was not designed for speed and security and layers of legacy piled up.

The Ubuntu people seem to be adding tray icons back: youtube.com/watch?v=qlt49R5IGTo

Exactly, and so features like screen recording, global hotkeys, etc have to be written back in, as they don't exist in wayland. And if every hobbyist/small project implements their own compositor with their own features, the security is a mess

Xorg is kinda frankenstiened together to do all the modern things it does

Wayland will be better in the long run as it was deisgned from the begining to have all the features

This is true. How did it catch on so well. Most people don't care about the minute differences especially if they're new to Linux. They just see how cool it looks on other people's computers in lectures and choose to pick it up when they convert.

use Unity for 4 more years and hope somebody keeps maintaining Unity so you can keep updating eventually

>systemd

No.

So just use a trusted compositor

can confirm, I'm a Kubuntu user and it's so broken most of the time it's unreal and unusable, no matter what button you press you can expecct the program to crash and not work before reinstalling it

holy shit I want to kill myself

S U P E R P O W E R D I S T R O 2 0 2 0

This is nothing but Cannonical ditching the desktop.

A meme desktop?

>Wayland by default
Does this work on DEs that arent GNOME or Unity?

>Bye Bye Xorg
Come back in 20 years when Wayland is actually default.

Windows 10 is good though. Why use that?

get shit on for trying to do their own thing (unity, mir, etc)
get shit on when they pivot back to upstream gnome
hard life for canonical. think they have done some missteps for sure (amazon search opt out rather than in, mir, phone) but think they are overall a beneficial thing to the linux landscape.
still the distro of choice for the beginners i'd say, even if they are shifting to server.

unity sucked because of how insanely bloated it is

something new users wouldn't give two shits about.

not true at all. OSes light on resources tend to be more responsive. and theres not a lot more off-putting than a sluggish UI

ill try ubuntu when they switch to KDE as default

it's called kde neon

It is, but then its also the only competent DE with wayland support that knows how to do scaling

What bloat you talkin' about?

Its called ArchLinux with KDE tbqhqhqhqhqhq

my point is, gnome is trash, gtk is trash and now ubuntu is even more trash then it was

unity is fine, I'm using it right now and I've used everything else. It literally uses less memory than my i3 rice.

Your lame trip is trash too.

wat? unity was the only usable DE it will fix his bloat and heavy patching with unity 8 but now its dead.

Ty cuckhat shills

there are no drivers. nvidia doesnt support it

Don't know about others, but I'm planing to change from Ubuntu Gnome to Ubuntu Mate. It's lighter, have more options of DE and the best bits of Unity. Couln'd be better.

>jealous of my operating system superiority
>jealous of my trip

>all the features
>Wayland
>features
lul

Innovations indeed