/tpg/ ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) and P, T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7200U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2520M/m153577vsm29
lewd.pics/f/c9ec2b60/vaporwave_awoo.png
lewd.pics/f/c9ec2b60/vaporwave_awoo_1680.png
lewd.pics/f/c9ec2b60/vaporwave_awoo_1280.png
notebookcheck.net/ThinkPad-25-Retro-ThinkPad-will-be-based-on-the-ThinkPad-T470.246216.0.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>ips screen and t420 keyboard arrive tomorrow

My 430 is gonna be real comfy

I wanted to use my old X220 keyboard on my X230 but I killed it while taping over the pins. Scratched some of them off by accident. Gotta order a new keyboard or find a new connector cable.

Last time dropping in about the stickies- dropping Thursday the 7th at 6PM EST on patch dynamics (google it).

I've seen a ton of those 420/430's on ebay. They still get bid up though.

>bought x201
>fast even with magnetic drive
>ready to throw away my acers and dells

first for eGPU setup for £30 that works by default.

>M to U

Not much. Remember, you're effectively dropping down a performance tier there as well.

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7200U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2520M/m153577vsm29

And obviously, a throttling 7200U would lose to a cooled 2520M. That kills a lot of modern chips.

The biggest issue you'll notice is lack of support for some instruction sets/hardware encoding. Not a big deal for now, but you might not have inbuilt support for the next meme video format and it'll be harder on your CPU.

Biggest difference by far is the iGPU.

I just bought a t420s with an i7 + nvidia gpu for $100. Did i fuck up?

how much will international shippong cost?

hope i'll manage to get one, very nice indeed

I'd say that's pretty good, in the UK just the i7 optimus motherboards are going for 100+

>shippong
shipping

Reposting from last thread!

My W500 came yesterday, was listed as "Parts or not working" because it was BIOS locked. I installed Libreboot, and a T9600 and she's one bad machine! Loving that resolution compared to my X200, and the thing looks like it just came out of the box! Whatever it was used for before, it was very light.

I got her for $40, whatcha think?

battery or no?
The i7s seem to go for a premium
It sounds fair if nothing is broken

Is it 1920x1200?

any of you have experience with the yoga 460 or 260. I wanted it for the drawing but might just get a x220 and a surface 3

Is $220 for hp 2560p with i7, 4gb ram and new 120gb ssd a good deal? I have the opportunity to buy one and was thinking if it's worth it.

Post wallpaper.

What parts in the 500?

US
>Lettermail
Canada - 0.80
US - 1.00
Int - 2.00
>bubblemailer
Canada - 1.60
US - 2.00
Int - 4.00

For stickers I recommend the bubblemailer as it's much safer.

nice buttplug

Wow, that's not too bad. I was expecting something like $20 for shipping to Europe.

Also you don't get hit by the customs jew.

customs on a sticker? how much is ti going to cost?

It's more of not having them open your shit up than anything else.
>how much is ti going to cost?
What are you asking about/

Unfortunately not, very hard to find those. I don't think I'll be getting one because the pixel density is a little too high for my taste... Though, if I find one for a good price I might jump on it. CCFL displays are usually pretty easy to spot imperfections on, though. Odds are it'll be trash after 10 years.

Uncertain the GPU it came with, since
this is Librebooted it doesn't even activate it at boot. I have a T9600 in it right now, waiting on a SSD and HDD caddy. Gonna be my main machine when I'm done!

And here:

lewd.pics/f/c9ec2b60/vaporwave_awoo.png

lewd.pics/f/c9ec2b60/vaporwave_awoo_1680.png

lewd.pics/f/c9ec2b60/vaporwave_awoo_1280.png

thx

What are the dimensions of the sticker? I'm considering putting one on the corner under the graphics card grille on my case, and somewhere on my X301, perhaps over the lenovo bit.

>pixel density is a little too high for my taste
That's what I thought. A laptop is fine up to ~120PPI. I don't want to be dependent on scaling because Linux isn't good at it currently

>GT 610

nice

Exactly my thoughts. It's a little bigger PPI than my X200 and it's very noticeable.

Potentially stupid question - any way to change fan speed in Windows on a t440p? SpeedFan doesn't even pick up that I have any.

What's your stock like? I'd like to buy five or six, but I don't want to be selfish and buy so many that other anons aren't able to get any.

I've heard you need a modded bios to do stuff like that. I'm not even sure they have that for a t440p though. You could try checking the thinkwiki

100 made and sold, I'll probably have a limit of 3 per customer.

Sounds reasonable to me, do you plan on making more in the future?
Thanks for what you do, btw

I hope that's enough, I really want one.

price tag?

If there's enough interest I'd be happy to restock.

please restock

>t430
>ips
nani

Where do you find the eDP bridge circuit?

There's an Alienware IPS panel you can buy to swap in. Non-standard search engines are your friend.

First for X40 master race!
>no hardware backdoor
>super efficient processor
>best keyboard
>near-retina screen
>10+ hour battery life with wireless, 14 hours with it turned off (with new chink battery)
>no homosex trackpad
>no need to install transexual boot shit
>gigabit ethernet
>tiny and sexy
>proper aspect ratio
>internal roll cage to protect drive (no screen / lid cage but IDGAF)
>actual IBM logo
>no built in camera or mic, stymies CIA niggers
Why don't you own the finest laptop ever made?

Layer 8 a shit

Oh and:
>only costs $30 or so

ips screen hurts battery life a lot though

Oh? I hadn't considered that. Are there any other good options for the T420? I really just want a higher resolution, 1600x900 would be heaven compared to 1366x768

These laptops look ugly as fuck and are probably no where near as powerful as any other laptop out there

This is weak-kneed bait

On average an IPS display uses 15% more power.

There's a 1600x900 TN panel

what do the moon runes say? where does the qr code go?

To the website he owns.

They aren't as powerful but they're more usable imo. Just saying

Where's a good place to get the Alienware screen for my T420? I'm looking for the AUO B140RTN02.1 but all the listings I can find just give me the "100% compatible part" bullshit. I'm in the UK too which probably doesn't help.

They have average to good specs for their respective time periods, they're rock solid, as modular as a laptop gets, they have the best keyboards on the market and their Linux support is first class. Not to mention, they have a trackpoint, the best mouse input method ever invented.

Where my Cat-IBM-ThinkPad combo boys at?

Isn't that a TN 1600x900 one?

Assuming things on panel look are accurate, the alienware screen has like 50% higher power consumption compared to the tn factory t420 panel.

I'm the guy who is getting an alienware panel tomorrow so I can do some testing to see what actual battery life impact is. I don't think it'll be that huge though, its like 6 watts vs 4 at max brightness

Got a fucking $3,000 setup and every time you post yours I find myself mirin'. Something so dank about a setup like that.

>and are probably no where near as powerful as any other laptop out there

You can put an i7 in the t430 that is within a couple % perf of the current top of the line macbook pro with its ulv ii7

Get that high as fuck resolution ibm monitor

Wow, thanks a lot. I'm really glad you like it!

Actually the X40 is 1024x768 and at that screen size it's almost retina resolution.

It's a very very small laptop.

The T22x series? I'd kill for that. Looks fucking amazing.

that's a complicated way of saying you're gay user

yeah, thats what they are. I remember trying to track one down about 7 years ago, nearly impossible unless you want to pay an arm and a leg

i saw one on ebay a while ago, i think it went for over $1500

Are the SeaGate 2.5" HDD's reliable or should I stick with WD? I need a 1TB for my X230

I'm very happy with my T440p, I bought it a few months ago, switched the touchpad for that of a T450, and put in a 1080p IPS.

All told, $300. Anyone else?

all my thinkpads are from the era before hardware back doors

hgst

who else here /yoga 11e/

Quite hard to find where I'm from.

The Alienware M14X screen that is compatible with T420 is a TN panel.

It's a very good TN panel though, almost IPS-like in many respects with pretty good viewing angles.

I'd love to use an older thinkpad, but I like having GLSL shaders, non-shitty web browsing, proper SSD support, and many other things.

notebookcheck.net/ThinkPad-25-Retro-ThinkPad-will-be-based-on-the-ThinkPad-T470.246216.0.html
Is it over?

PAY SHIPPING

yes

I think the retro may have just been to appease the reactionaries, I don't know what else there is to expect out of it.

Web browsing works great, SSD works great, I can play OpenArena, etc.

It's not super speed but it's secure and much better than most newer computers.

also massive issues with xbacklight

A HP and Dell response, obviously.

T440S $275
>description says 4GB i5
>screenshots show 8GB i7

Should I take the risk? At worst, an okayish price for an i5, at best a really good price on an i7.

>SSD works great
nigga at what point do you think intel put in backdoors

yes, if you actually want a x40

they didn't listen to us, it won't sell

>X40
convince me that it's better than an x61

after the X40 era that's for sure

>no need for transexual bios
>no management engine
>better keyboard
>doesn't even turn on fan if you use TLP most of the time

You wanted them to send ThinkPad back to the 90s age to reinforce your view that the ThinkPad is an old dinosaur laptop. This is as much as you can expect.

No I just wanted a PC without a management engine and with a proper real keyboard, as well as having no space-wasting trackpad.

Instead Lenovo chinks decided it must be built on an existing chassis and have a multicolored logo.

>IMT
>embedded in all CPUs newer than 2006
fuuuuuuck I didn't even know about that

also
>better keyboard
is that true?

i've got 2 t60s to tinker with. should i install gentoo?

>IMT
yes it's true, there have been hundreds of threads here about it

>better keyboard
best ever in any laptop except the TiG4 Powerbooks, they were just as good

sourcemage

Actually some of the ThinkPad designers are still around from the IBM era.

You are the kind of person who if they installed the old keyboard you would call it clunky, and if they installed the new keyboard you would say it's not "proper". Maybe you should fuck off to Macs.

aye aye

hmm never looked into it before but maybe i will mess with that on one of them

>You are the kind of person who if they installed the old keyboard you would call it clunky
No, I'm the kind of person who uses an X40 for the good keyboard and botnet-free design.

You're the kind of "person" who thinks it's OK to lie and mis-characterize people so that you can make a buck.