Do you miss the old web? if so, what exactly do you miss?

Do you miss the old web? if so, what exactly do you miss?

not having shitload of useless JS on every website

I miss the absence of normies on the internet.

This. Normies brought their social baggage to the internet and ruined everything.

Thedownfallofhobbies.jpg

I think social media and memes ruined a lot. I wish there were more active communities that were somewhat series and not filled with either shitposting, memes, or people trying really hard to be funny at all times.

Things weren't so centralized. Social shit wasn't so painfully prominent. Websites were actually pretty fast despite the slow connections and much slower hardware because they didn't load 99999MB worth of JS in order to display an article containing text and images.

I miss clean, easy to navigate, light webpages. Take the website of realtek and crucial for instance. I hope they don't fuck it up.

The anarchy, freedom, goofy shit, and less normies.

Browser could prevent popup windows from opening even back then.

Internet was better before all the social media bullshit.

>original content
>dedicated communities
>original designs
>no bloat aside of flash
>the absence of journalists and politicians trying to tell us what is the flavour of the day
>the absence of social media in general

this

>Take the website of realtek and crucial for instance. I hope they don't fuck it up.

>form over function

Somone get on to Nagasaki and tell him to bring back text boards.

Image boards > Text boards

>what exactly do you miss?
people creating their own websites just about anything for the enjoyment of making one and having their own place on the internet, and youtube being a place for sharing videos, not for making money.

major search engines actually showed what i was looking for, now they just try to put me in a filter bubble

Pretty much. That and not having megabytes of javascript on each page load.

This shit wasn't even old web, even as recently as a few months ago I was getting better results from ((( Google ))) than I am now. It's gone to complete shit.

Reverse image search has also been gutted to pure uselessness too.

No, because the web has always sucked in different ways and I'm tired of underageb& shitters making these retarded nostalgia threads as if they were even sentient during the 90s.

You know what I don't miss? ActiveX shit, Java shit, Flash shit. I certainly don't miss needing to have multiple different browsers installed just to use the web because noone could agree on any standards (the web is remarkably well standardised today) and so a website would only work in Netscape for example, while another would only work on IE, which leads onto my next point. You want to use something other than Windows on the web? Bad luck, shithead. Obnoxious eye raping flashing gifs that did nothing but make pages take 10 minutes to load, far more intrusive advertising that would deliver malware through your exploit-ridden pile of shit browser, lack of reliable sources of information for just about anything. The list goes on and on, you know the web is good today when the only thing people can think to complain about is a bit of unnecessary JS being loaded.

Yes, there were a few good things about the web back in the day like all the cool communities, no social media integration, etc. But it was technologically flawed in a big way and was frustrating as hell to use, most of the fun on the internet was had using other protocols like IRC.

normies were always on the internet since the beginning

>since the beginning
literally untrue.

Corporations didn't see data mining the population as a practical source of income.

Web design was practice, not the mess it is today.

90% of sites where not "top 10" lists created by English majors for $30 per article.

Search engines actually tried to serve the most relevant pages, not state propaganda.

Most people on the Internet where white office workers and as a result, there was an intelligence floor you could expect when talking with them.

>it's another kids act as if they're better than the ""normies"" episode
Yeah real hard to dial up AOL, what a wizard you are. You are the normalfags that killed the internet in the early 90s.

>>it's another kids act as if they're better than the ""normies"" episode
why are you using the Sup Forumseddit meme? trying too hard to fit in, kiddo.

Nice defensive reply.

I miss when it was for the enthusiasts. It's just another marketplace now

nice argument
>you are kids
>using a newfag redditmeme to make his point

The internet has always changed. The difference is that this time, every normie thinks that it's just an extension of real life. Plus, the amount of normies is much bigger.

this post is certified reddit

you should know, redditor

I miss the culture being more varied and less homogenized. It's still relatively varied on Sup Forums, but there's this sort've unwritten (and written) etiquette that a lot of sites seem to follow; the same memes, the same few things to shame people for, the same exact stale way of writing.

You're also misusing the quote function like some reddit tourist, how are you better than him again?

you seem to have a good sense for what's reddit yourself, reddit

>greentexting is reddit now
fuck off newfag. stop trying to fit in

>I miss clean, easy to navigate, light webpages.
YesIknowexactlyexactlywhatyoumean

This is what happens when you replace anonymity with real life identification. People act on the internet like they act out in the real world because they're using their real fucking name and their real fucking face for everything.

It's like Communist Russia where everything you say has to be passed through the Party Line Filter. You can't even voice criticism of a video game without first prefacing it with "Don't get me wrong I actually love this game and I love the devs and it's the best thing ever and you should really go out and pre-order buy it right now.....BUT".

I didn't say that. Please stop misattributing quotes to me.

stop backpeddaling

It's not like we couldn't have both. Frankly, I'd take a dis.Sup Forums theme that did some smart image hiding/loading. I just think the layout was better.

before everyone started randomly using atheist words like meme we just called it bash.org

I remember when giving your personal information like real name was a big no-no. Everyone was keeping their real life separate from the internet. Now no one gives shit about privacy.

You never saw that shit though. On the screen it was easy to navigate.

Stop being pedantic.

>if so, what exactly do you miss?
The lack of phoneposters.

You seem to not understand the meaning of > in the context of the internet, it's okay as you're probably quite young but you shouldn't get hostile when people correct your mistake. We're just trying to help.

this, nostalgia baby threads need to stop

What's worse is that I'M the weird one for still doing that, even when we hear countless invasions of privacy (which people are outraged by...temporarily) people keep doing it.

>You seem to not understand the meaning of > in the context of the internet
I know what quotes are, but you seem to not understand it in the context of Sup Forums. newfag

Well since mid 90's the very least if that makes you feel better. After that everyone but old people had an email, aim, icq

I miss there being fewer minorities.

Normies ruined the definition of the word meme over night

I miss there being fewer fat retards who fap to nazis and post gay memes

>You never saw that shit though.
Look at Richie Rich over here with his Pentium II MMX, bonded ISDN lines and fancy browser that "never saw" page source loading before it was rendered

>what's the matter user, you got something to hide?

I miss malware being illegal.
Now we glorify hackers, we let them manipulate the way people think and we allow them to grow more powerful than any government.
Malware is the biggest part of software development these days and governments are even paying them to keep making malware.
Supporting terrorism isn't a new thing for the american government, but the way they are supporting google is disgusting.

>it's another episode of normies believing they're better than normies
classic

Wow so it's easier to view a worst version of the internet now than before when it was all vice versa
Revolutionary!!1!

Skeuomorphism
Websites that looked like a document not like an 'app'
Websites not hogging 100% of my cpu because shitty unoptimized javascript
Websites not having to download 50MB of javascript
A 64K gprs mobile connection being enough to browse
100MB of mobile data lasting for the entire month
Web browsers not taking up half the ram on your system
Not having to zoom out every website because i dont have a 4K super HD® display
Ad blocking being easy
Websites with dark themes
Media not being 1984'ed by femminists communists etc
Freedom of speech
CRTs
Having to actually have basic technical knowledge to use a computer/the internet
Users knowing what a router is
Forums having some kind of useful discussion
Content not being monopolized by companies to squeeze every penny out of everything
Independent websites
Using clients instead of shitty hacked-together JS
Web browsers not sending every page in your history as a 'referrer'
Websites without cuckbook buttons
RSS feeds
Actually fun videogames
No "buy this" "buy that" "expansion pack" "dlc" "in app purchase" "microtransacction" "pay2win" "gabe newell suck my dick"
Wikipedia not being a propaganda machine
90% of traffic not going to 6 websites
Being able to find quality communities not russian-only or japanese-only

And stay there.

Why do you polfags always have to shoehorn your autistic racism into everything? Moot should've kept the board deleted.

it was as shit as now, possibly worse

>ad blockers either non existent or terrible
>gigantic autoplay flash animations up the ass loading for 2 minutes
>ugly gifs everywhere
>forums full of edgy 14 year olds (one of them was me)
>loading some webpages was basically a guaranteed malware infection

the only thing I remember fondly were the video games since pirating them was even more piss easy, you could use Hamachi for multiplayer and when everybody had a shit connection you couldn't just release an unfinished buggy mess and "patch it later", it had to be more or less done on release

They spend their entire lives absolutely engulfed by politics and some culture war that it's all they can see.

>niggers directly and actively made the internet worse
>STOP MENTIONING RACE

It's Sunday don't you have some baby blood to drink, Moishe?

this

most of this post is pure bullshit, especially about people needing more computer skills to use PCs or websites being better

My issue is never that it was "better then" or "worse now", it's that it's not as much of an improvement as it should be. For all the improvement to infrastructure and speed, and computing power, it's not felt due to all the extra bloat that we have to contend with.

Find an old Angelfire or Tripod site and you'll be amazed at how fast it loads and renders even with all the images and gifs.

That board was always so slow that it was essentially useless. Go to literally any other forum.

>For all the improvement to infrastructure and speed, and computing power, it's not felt due to all the extra bloat that we have to contend with.
Car engines are the same way. The internal combustion engine is more efficient and performant than it's ever been in the history of man, and yet mpg is the same or lower than it was 20-30 years ago. We made the engines better but kept making the cars bigger and heavier too.

freedom of speech

That's not true though. You're only remembering the bloated sites because they stand out in your mind. The vast majority of actually performant sites you completely ignore which skewers perspective.
Things are much better now. Objectively in every way. Are there still bloated garbage sites (youtube, Sup Forums, twitter, every graphic designer's website, etc)? Absolutely. But as a whole, things have improved. It's like those charts stating everything about humanity is getting better but we don't think it is because we just focus on the tragedy.

The problem is they're always contradicting dopes with no direction in what they're saying.
Muh dumb group x yet they've found a way to make my life impossible.
You typed nigger and uploaded a photo of a swastika on the internet dude we get it, you're hardcore and didn't get beat up. It gets old really fast though.

I had an image that showed the increasing size of "small" cars over time. I first noticed it when I saw a new Mini parked near an old Mini and it looked twice the size.

well boy do I have something for you

>he thinks Sup Forums is bloated by modern standards

The average page now is something like 2.5MB.

Sup Forums is pretty bloated for how minimal the content and functionality is. Not to mention the disgusting malware ads being served.
Everything wrong about web development is right here.

>browsing Sup Forums without an ad blocker
>using the internet at all without an ad blocker

What the fuck is wrong with you?

>Sup Forums is pretty bloated for how minimal the content and functionality is.

This is true of all the bloated sites, but especially news and article sites.

>Not to mention the disgusting malware ads being served.
>Everything wrong about web development is right here.
this

like it or not, a major drive for improvement has been advertising, the same thing that keeps web pages bloated now

>90% of sites were "top 10" lists

That was exactly the state of the web back then.
I don't remember seeing one in years. Do I surf a different web than you?
So that's actually an improvement for once.

how do we bring back communities where normies won't go?

isn't that basically TOR?

There are still places for enthusiasts.
You simply have to search a little to find them, and searching has never been easier.

I just miss being younger

Gopher.

Or just make websites that are so absurdly brutalist no normies would want to spend time on the,

those already exist in the form of IRC channels and other chans. Surprise - they're dead

>Gopher
nah

How about the other thing i said, on the line below it?

that one's a good idea, but also very obvious, also same issue as here: >Surprise - they're dead

how do you keep them alive?

I'm rapidly approaching 30, and don't notice a major difference for the worse compared to when I was in my late teens.
I have found answers to a lot of questions I had back then, and have a firm grasp on what to do from here.

Cannot really complain about getting older. Why do you think getting older sucks?

nah man, even Sup Forums has a homogenized culture. muh chads, muh stacies, go back to r, etc. same shit every day for years.

cars are much safer now

>if so, what exactly do you miss?

I miss the web being so fast that I could actually use a 486 with 100mhz of clock speed in 2004 and 2005 like I had to do, and not be grinding to a halt slow like a C2D is today using facebook because it is so loaded down with Javascript and other shit like that, people actually used to think of users with less speed.

Not him but getting older sucks because you have to worry more about diseases.

>Normalfags complaining about other normalfags

I installed Debian with i3 on a Compaq Armada E500 yesterday. Sup Forums was one of the few sites that I loaded that was browseable.

One thing I don't miss is how hard it was to find documentation sometimes. I tended to stay away from forums because if my parents found out I was interacting with people online they would have been upset. At the time I was trying to learn C and wanted to make games and stuff. Being unable to find a free compiler on my own was one of the things that initially drove me to attempt to install linux.

I sometimes wish I could go back with everything I knew now.

No, it was because internet explorer was garbage and was holding the internet back

Through use. Stop writing something off as dead, then complaining that it's dead.