What are some examples of open-source software that cost money?

What are some examples of open-source software that cost money?

Other urls found in this thread:

aseprite.org/
github.com/aseprite/aseprite/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

grsecurity patchset for Linux (paid customers only, you are not allowed to distribute the source code)
Windows has this "shared source" thing (dunno if this counts)
companies often by specialized software for their needs which is open source for them.

Borderless Gaming does this, 5$ on steam with source code available on GitHub. They used to host compiled versions on GitHub but now you need to compile it yourself if you don't buy it though steam.

RHEL
Oracle Unbreakable Linux (meme but it's a thing)

Parted Magic.

Emacs used to cost money in the beginning of GNU

Doom. The source code is free, but the data packs are for pay.

RHEL unless you compile it yourself
Ardour unless you compile it yourself
nginx Plus

It essentially boils down to the program itself being free, you only pay for tech support.

>RHEL unless you compile it yourself

Apparently CentOS isn't a thing any more.

grsecurity

Synergy

>Compiling on windows
They know how to foist people in the $5 direction.

CentOS is exactly that, except you didn't compile it, someone else did. It's literally the same from Red Hat's point of view. The only thing that matters here is that it's not Red Hat's official binaries, and you will not get support by them.

The funny part is that you can buy RHEL without support.

At that point one should consider ending themselves

All of them, if your time costs anything.

It's for running proprietary software that only supports Red Hat.
You might need support for software X but not for the OS itself.

Why don't games do this anymore?

John Carmack was pretty much the only major game developer who GPL'd his old games.

I believe the main problem is not actually the developers, but publishers who finance development and in turn take legal ownership.

I think Carmack said in some talk that using free licence for ID Tech didn't result in anything really interesting.

Aseprite
>aseprite.org/
>github.com/aseprite/aseprite/

So he is saying that the thing responsible for keeping Doom community alive for all these years worths nothing.

What I think he hoped for was significant improvements to the engine itself including new realistic shaders for various materials and things like that. I don't know what he thinks about the Doom community.

PepeDiskMark is GNU+Linux exclusive

You can do some pretty cool shit with GZDoom.

>paid customers only, you are not allowed to distribute the source code
The customers are legally obligated to distribute the source code, since the Linux Kernel is GPLv2 licensed.

>The customers are legally obligated to distribute the source code,
only if they distribute the binaries

>download
>make

done, though it does take some reading up
it's very annoying on how you need to download shady bloated binaries for basic funcitonality that is taken for granted on linux, such as ssh or compiling.

In the world of idiots, Microsoft and Apple are kings.

Synergy