/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) and P, T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

allservice.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3044
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Redpill me on coreboot

first
tables are the best thinkpads

X200 and W500 master race!

fourth for best trackpoint

Reposting from last thread:
I'm getting an X300 for free next week. Is it powerful enough for Windows 7 and YouTube videos?
Anything else to take care of? That model seems strange to me.

what was the first Thinkpad to have a 1080p screen

X200t and upgraded T430 master race checking in.

There is this company in Romania that can decrypt the BIOS-level lock on T440, T450, T460, etc. and bypass both SVP and TPM.

allservice.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3044

Does that mean Libreboot is technically possible on those machines?

What's a moderately priced Thinkpad that could run [spoiler] TF2 [/spoiler]? Should an X240 cut it?

>trusting gypsies

W500 had a 1920x1200, W510 and onwards have 1920x1080.

On T series, T440P/S were the first. Not the standard 440, weirdly enough. I think the t450 did though.

For X series, X240.

Yes, you fucked up, but not too much. Besides, Thinkpads tend to be more expensive in Euroland, anyway.

Please tell me you have 16 GB of 2133 MHz RAM installed.

>that feel when you run your finger around the soft rim

you should be fine with win7 and 720p. it's a 2008 laptop with C2D, so i don't see any problems as long you don't push it.

i thought that not all the fn key functions worked on t430s with the older keyboard.

When did they start using mostly 16:9 panels?

That can't run Titanfall 2

I'm concerned because the processor is some Core2duo ultra low power meme. Used to the non-u i5 of my X230.
It's only for travelling anyways but watching Youtube videos seems to drain more and more power nowadays.
I remember having a workshop PC, Pentium 4 1ghz which could play any video (mostly for music so fuck quality). Absolutely impossible now.

any way to upgrade the res on a x220

I appreciate your existence

xx30 series and upwards is best. aka hd 4000 in x230. x240 will be more than enough

>Please tell me you have 16 GB of 2133 MHz RAM installed.

I don't remember the speed, but yes, I have 16 GB in the T430, and also added an i7-3720QM CPU which gets too hot under heavy load unless I disable the discrete GPU. Runs like a breeze, though, even when I'm running a virtual machine.

I also have an ultrabay caddy like this with a 1TB HDD that I sometimes swap in.

No, not all of them do, although I haven't tested every single one. The screen brightness, thinklight fn keys work, but are on different keys. Some of the other keys changed or are non-functional, but you can remap them.

yes to 1080p but honestly it's not worth the hassle, you either have to install a PCB or cut and splice cables.

Will a x230 screen work when put in a x220?

yes, they use identical TN and IPS panels as far as im aware. many people bought x220's with IPS screens to swap it with their x230 then resold the x220 with TN panel from the x230

>I also have an ultrabay caddy like this with a 1TB HDD that I sometimes swap in.

Fuck, forgot pic.

Long story short: I accidentally my x230, I know for sure that the motherboard is fried and want to find out if the display is still fine (some grease might have gotten into it), tried swapping the lids of the x230 to the x220, status LEDs light up but I get no picture otherwise.

Noooice, you just have to replace screen with one from one of Dell's laptops or whatever and you officially maxed out your T430. That's what I like in them.

Right, so final appearance here so as to not be a nuisance: The stickers will be 3.50, 3" long. Going on my site Thursday the 7th at 6PM EST.
Google patchdynamics. If you want to know shipping you can always test it on my site before checkout.
I'll be back on Thurs before the drop

Yeah, that's the one thing left I want to change. I never really minded the TN screen on the X200t, but the one on the T430 is truly shit-tier.

Also
You're free to make a few for yourself at home, that's why I shared the high res pic.

Does anyone here have a 12-cell battery for the X200? Where did you find it?

From what I found, one from Alienware M14X R2 is perfect fit. Good luck my dude

From what I can see X61t goes for up to 150€ on Ebay. This is a pretty good deal.

Pretty much as soon as they switched to three digit names.

400 series was 16:10, i think 420 marked the start of 16:9.

Wtf is this? Just get a slice senpai

correct. The last 16:10 models were the X201, T410, T510, W510 etc

>x201 instead of x210

Why the gap in naming?

Apologies friend

>getting a laptop with resolution less than 1080p
>implying you can be a productive programmer using 1366x768 resolution

>having to order an obscure part from an obscure internet scammer and soldering it on yourself just to get a decent resolution

shig

I have absolutely no idea. They went
X200 -> X201 -> X220

Maybe the Chinks were huffing glue or something.

>X200, X201
>X60, X61
>T60, T61
>R60, R61
Lenovo sticked to the old IBM naming scheme for a bit. Then they must have decided to change things.

First for X40 master race!
>no hardware backdoor
>super efficient processor
>best keyboard
>near-retina screen
>10+ hour battery life with wireless, 14 hours with it turned off (with new chink battery)
>no homosex trackpad
>no need to install transexual boot shit
>gigabit ethernet
>tiny and sexy
>proper aspect ratio
>internal roll cage to protect drive (no screen / lid cage but IDGAF)
>actual IBM logo
>no built in camera or mic, stymies CIA niggers
>only $30 or so
>cute docking station and extended battery available
>*yellow* thinklight to preserve night vision
Why don't you own the finest laptop ever made?

>pics

*exists*

I'll go with the huffing glue.

What Thinkpads can come with a Thunderbolt port?
I know of-
T430s - Gen 1
W540/W541 - Gen 1
P50/P51/P70/P71 - Gen 3
Are there any others?

I recently bought a replacement keyboard for my T440s on amazon. Both left and right shift keys do not work, they do work on the old keyboard though and all other keys on the new keyboard work, too.

Did I do something wrong or is my keyboard DoA?

I'm going out later to look at some property, I'll take my X40 and have a photogenic weekend.

But why did they keep it up with the X series with the newer widescreen models? They didn't go from T400 to T401.

Too bad about that chicklet keyboard.

It's still nicer than most modern laptops.

Is a E570 a good decision? Me poor

>using Windows
>2017

Shiggy.

Tables aren't very good thinkpads desu

Memes, I guess.

It's okay

I think your thinkpad has cancer, there is clearly a tumor growing out the back.

tell me more about it: libreboot and linux on it ?

is this b8? that's not windows

The X240 is a bag of shit
Buy a X230

No need for trannyboot

I'll check that out, thanks.

>buy a x230

buy a x220

T470
X1 carbon 5th

Then buy a older T series

Go away meme fag
Buy a X230

X230 is superior.

>same case
>better graphics
>lower temps
>old keyboard compatible

Windows doesn't work very well with Libreboot.

Why would I use it over standard bios?

I run Debian 9 with systemd removed and tlp, it's comfy as fuck.

Keyboard has an excellent feel, lighter touch than the X60 or later series Thinkpads and imho superior. I have mine set up so that it is capped at 900 MHz on batteyr power, it never even turns on the fan unless I have it plugged in and doing something intensive.

I have newer machines and a powerful desktop but I use this thing to command everything and do my web browsing mostly. It's just so comfy.

This, plus I don't know if I even trust that piece of software.

Noooooooo x220 is the bestttttt

faster

Nobody knows, user. Nobody knows.

It is to note that the T410 is a departure of the T400 design which itself was the evolution of the T60...

The last official 7 row keyboard was on the X201. The T410/510 brought the big escape and delete keys. I believe the X201 was released months before the T410.

It is also of note that the X201 stayed 16:10 screen layout, oddly the T410 did too but not the T/W510.

>undervolted pentium
>1.8" PATA ticking time bombs
>drives are slow AF

Though I do want to get an X40 for collection purposes, the reason why the X40 was disliked was the poor performance it had. In comparison the X2x and X3x machines had at least a few processors that equaled to their bigger T2x and T30 counterparts.

It was so bad that IBM had brought back the former model, and used a similar Pentium processor that the T43 had. So when the X41 came out, they had the X32 as well. When the X60 was in prototype form, they made sure the laptop could come with 2.5" drives, and the 'slim' model would use the same as well, but with L2xxx chips intead of T2xxx.

Faster boot times, and I guess more control over your boot process because you have (some) of the source code for booting your device. However, it's not fully open-source like Libreboot, so there's really no point in using it over the stock BIOS, unless you like more bugs with no benefits other than it booting slightly faster.

Why do you use these old machines to work? I don't understand, can you have the latest software in them?

Well user if you don't then it's not for you

leave out the very :p

wished thinkpads still had seperate mic and headphone jacks

>>undervolted pentium
You mean super efficient CPU.
.8" PATA ticking time bombs
Already replaced with SSD.
>>drives are slow AF
See above.

It's comfy, handles modern tasks just fine, and has a superior keyboard to later X series Thinkpads.

Plus no CIA nigger botnet.

How max RAM can you put in there ?

Looks like the perfect shitposting machine

How do I get Bluetooth working on x220 with fedora 25. It is searching devices, but can't find a thing.

Found a pretty nice X200 for $80, 4GB of RAM and no hard drive, caddy, or cover. Looks like it's in spit-shine factory condition from the pictures.

Worth?

Also no battery, forgot to mention.

Deffo way better deals available than that, unless you live outside of the US. I'd say no, I got a X200 recently for $60 and it had an ultrabase, and everything needed to make it work.

someone sell me a cheap x61 please

Okay, thanks user.

I might get one to see what it's capable of.
Can it play 1080p movies?
Can it stream youtube at 720p and 1080p?
Can it stream twitch.tv streams at 720p60, and how about 1080p60?
Currently using an X61 daily since a month ago, as it turns out the X61 can do all of these, but i feel like it can only just do it, as some frames drop at 1080p60, and temps get pretty high.
All I need from a machine is for it to run libreoffice, play videos just fine, and be able to stream videos online (chromium or qutebrowser). The streaming videos bit I think is the hardest thing for an older machine to do.

why is X60 on the Libreboot compatibility list but X61 isn't?

I can oly speak from experience with a T40 (no dGPU)

>Can it play 1080p movies?
laggy
>Can it stream youtube at 720p and 1080p?
480p works with minor lag
>Can it stream twitch.tv streams at 720p60, and how about 1080p60?
certainly not

Anything pre Core 2 Duo can't do anything thats internet multimedia.

But then the X40 is going for 'nothing CIA botnet' so all that multimedia stuff is 'null and void'

An SSD and lightweight distro can't do much when it comes to a ULV Pentium M benchmarks.

Also, I think a Broadcom HD card can help out your X61, though I might be wrong (streaming vs playing from your HDD/network)

>snagged a X60 Tablet that is hopefully SXGA+ if the machine type number is correct, for a not horrible price
Can't wait for it to get here. Should I trannyboot? X60 can be flashed with software, correct? Some people say there are possible instability issues, is this true?

Who the fuck has time to dress a raccoon up in a cute little outfit but can't be assed to clear their filthy, filthy keyboard?

That's what I figured, but thanks anyway.
6 thinkpads in, and the hunt for the perfect thinkpad continues.
There's no such thing as a perfect thinkpad, is there

Probably not. The ones with the best build quality are just too outdated to be a daily driver in 1980+37

Get one of the last Thinkpads with a Core2Duo. X200, T400, T500, etc. They're libreboot-able and should handle graphics very well!

>1980+37
I love my X201, and considering the X61 does what I need for a daily driver, I am considering an X200. Also wanna try a T420/T430, and a tablet thinkpad at some point too.

Perfect ThinkPad is subective.
You have your daily, then you have everything else
755 - Dat fucking keyboard and tool less servicing
600X - Best built ThinkPad, arguably best thinkpad ever but smells funny (like medical equipment)
T22 or T23 - Dat keyboard bezel
A31p - Best sound, easy to service & dat IPS
T601 - IPS T60 w/ T61 mobo

There are some others, but yeah