Now that GNOME is not even subtle in trying to deny user productivity there remains no difference to it than autistic...

Now that GNOME is not even subtle in trying to deny user productivity there remains no difference to it than autistic shit like i3

What DE do you suggest?
Cinnamon?
Budgie?
KDE?
Deepin?

Other urls found in this thread:

igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/
fossbytes.com/install-linux-kernel-4-12-ubuntu-mint/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what exactly is wrong with gnome's approach? Modularity seems like a good idea, means if not everyone likes the current implementation (TopIcons), people can reimplement it however they wish without breaking everything else.

They're removing that shitty slide-out bar in the lower left corner. How is this a problem?

If they were going to remove it they should have their alternative to status icons.

Instead they chose to get rid of responsibilities and make (FORCE) users to use unofficial, 3rd party extensions that
- is not necessarily compatible with all GNOME versions
- slows down shell performance by a large degree

What's wrong with the icons in the upper right?

Nothing, but that extension is 3rd party, not reviewed by GNOME team. Anything/any malicious code can be embedded into the extension and no one would notice. Because you can install GNOME shell extensions without admin privilege

Why would extensions hurt shell performance?

External JS plugins communicate through GNOME Shell with JS-C or Gjs FFI

gnome is a buggy and bloated piece of shit and it loves lennarts aids systemdick cancer cum deep up its ass, use i3 or sway (wayland)

Jesus, what a nightmare.

>use i3 or sway (wayland)
no

yes!

Do gnome plugins have to be written in JS?

Not necessarily. You can use C/C++/Vala as well

I like Cinnamon. Pretty resource heavy for a linux DE, but I still like it a lot.

Yes actually I was thinking of getting either budgie or cinnamon

So it's just a problem of this one extension (TopIcons) being badly written then? I still don't see the big problem with this whole debacle.

>I still don't see the big problem with this whole debacle.
Lack of security. Go and install any extension you like, no password is required

>in that same thread the gnome developer tells people to tell app developers to remove status icons and implement Gnome notifications
>the same shit they did to the transmission dev a while ago
They really lost all subtlety.

> GNOME
obligatory: igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/ (note the year as well)

> I knew this was on the cards but I have to say that I am surprised that it is actually being pursued in this form.
> Facilitating the unrestricted use of extensions and themes by end users seems contrary to the central tenets of the GNOME 3 design. We’ve fought long and hard to give GNOME 3 a consistent visual appearance, to make it synonymous with a single user experience and to ensure that that experience is of a consistently high quality. A general purpose extensions and themes distribution system seems to threaten much of that.

> > At the end of the day, people who use them know that they aren’t stock GNOME, and how to disable them if they want to get the default experience.
> The point is that it decreases our brand presence. That particular user might understand what it is that they are running, but the person who sees them using their machine or even sees their screenshots on the web will not. The question we have to ask ourselves is: how do we make sure that people recognise a GNOME install when they see one?

> So, one of the many very exciting things about GNOME Shell is that for the first time we may have ability to really shape the user experience and form an identity for the GNOME platform.

basically, gnome development is being driven by marketing and not usability or quality paradigms.

Can I use Rust?

Gnome has been terrible for a long, long time.

So individual users on a multiuser machine can install their own extensions to customize their own instance of the DE. Where are the extensions installed to? If it's a subfolder in their home folder, I still don't see the problem.

If the extensions are being installed globally without pw, then I can see a security problem, but otherwise it's at most just users fucking themselves over if they install any random extension that hasn't been vetted.

what kind of privileges does gnome have?

Actually, GNOME is trying to move over to Rust from Vala in some of their projects. I think it's a smart move. If the long hyped GObject introspection module gets official support fromg GNOME/Gtk, Vala is gone forever.

They ported some of their libsvg (can't remmeber what library actually) to Rust.

gnome-session? It depends on your distro. Mostly user-level which is why you need user password to login

>censoring your username on a screenshot of a public website
>greentexting on reddit

Where was I wrong?

xfce devs need to hurry up

Even so, user password should be asked

Not him, but I don't think you were wrong. You don't remove shit that you've already incorporated unless you have something better as a replacement.

Truth be told, his answer all by itself would have gotten me to jump ship. FOSS is inherently selfish, and I get that, but if you aren't going to offer what I want, I'm not going to use it. He made it clear that he has no interest in continuing to supply what you want, so, were I in your shoes I would go somewhere that does.

So the answer is the incorporate topIcons into Gnome before removing it.

Because all those retards just use a terminal and have no fucking idea how normal people use a GUI, especially considering their main guideline is "it's not Windows!!", and they pretty much make it a point to make everything the polar opposite of Windows, when Windows is pretty damn well fucking designed (up until Win7 obviously).

It's always the same fucking story, they break or remove critical stuff for pointless reasons and then tell you to venture into config files and install 3rd party software to fix it, because you can do it yourself, because "wow no one is paid to do that so you have no right to complain!!", as if they were paid to break everything and anything that works.

They're the reason why it isn't yet the year of the Linux desktop, because terminal aside, this shit is unusable.

yes

gnome is comfy, fuck you op. brainlet.

I think Linux Mint runs a pretty tight ship with Cinnamon.

My thoughts exactly.
I see it now, GNOME is going full retarded. I think I am going to switch to budgie. The main dev looks like he knows his shit and he listens to the community.

Isn't it dead now?

They are moving to gtk3 last time I heard

Well that's becasue Cinnamon is not Gnome. Cinnamon and KDE are the only two just werks desktops worth a shit. Xfce if you want to put in a bit of work.

True. Truth be told, since trying it out after Ubuntu, I have zero desire to try anything else out. I'll wait a day or two for updates.

The only reason I don't use Mint Cinnamon is that I currently use a cutting edge hardware and the drivers/kernels need to be recent

I'm running 4.13 right now. No issue with drivers.

Is that kernel supported? I don't think so

this is why I don't use linux. You couldn't even do stuff from a DE if you wanted to.

No one cares.

Well, nothing is broken. Ukuu didn't want to install it, so I installed it via terminal, which is honestly the better way to do it, although a bit of a chore.

Good to see mint making it easy for normalfags.

exactly! thats why linux will always be less than 10% usage

It's not particularly difficult to do, nor is is even necessary. They have an update manager that works fine for normal people. Just because I'm willing to enter in 3 lines in terminal doesn't mean that I HAVE to.

Fuck gnome!
Don't get me wrong, 3.24 was the last good gnome. I switched to fill time win10 machine because of gnome bs coming up. I hope others will switch to.

fossbytes.com/install-linux-kernel-4-12-ubuntu-mint/

So hard. You can use ukuu to do it if you want, and terminal as a backup. Certainly better than:
>Something happened :(

Holy fucking shit, that is unbelievable

Well it definitely is easy actually

It is. Honestly, this is the first time ukuu didn't work for me, for whatever reason. It would complete with errors, but then wouldn't say it was installed, so it's not like I could do anything in terminal to rectify it.

So I just entered the wget commands in terminal. No biggie.

>t. Gnome Shill

>switch to windows 10 because one desktop environment in linux is going to shit
that's like switching to mac OS because fucking IE got updated and you don't like it.

>lead dev of gnome doesn't know what xfce is

wow this is just embarrassing

After the Wii U, nothing surprises me regarding product development (in case you didn't catch it, nobody on the Wii U dev team had ever touched a PS3 or an Xbox, so when 3rd party devs were telling them what they wanted in the online store, talking about the other consoles, the entire team of console devs literally stared blankly at them, confused).

What is this world we're living in

There is no reason to use GNOME.
The devs are ignorant assholes and the workflow of a desktop is hilariously bad. Also these titlebars are too fucking big.

Plasma on KDE Neon works fine for me.
I don't have to rice it with a dozen of extensions to make it work and their infrastructure is a lot nicer than the one GNOME has:
- Dolphin is a god-tier file manager.
- Okular is the best pdf reader on GNU/Linux.
- Konsole is great and so is their system monitor (I even stopped using Htop).
- And so on...
The only thing that I miss is the ability to theme the hell out of my desktop because I don't really like all this Breeze/Breeze dark fuckery that much but that's the only way to have a consistent theming on Plasma.

No fucking clue, but as someone who owns that console (I have friends and family over once every couple of weeks for party games, and 200 bucks for a console isn't a major expense for me), it's very obvious that Nintendo had literally no clue what the fuck was going on in the industry when they made this thing.

is it stable yet

I guess it depends on the distro. I had a lot of issues with it on openPEPE Tumbleweed but on KDE Neon I am yet to encounter a problem.

REEEEEEEEE!!!!

>The point is that it decreases our brand presence.
OH NO! Not our brand presence! Anything but!
Think of the shareholders!

>you have to choose between DE's
the fuck is this shit

cuck needs over 3 GB swap because of his bloated piece of shit thats using 3x more RAM than my deeply loved XFCE :*

Is Konsole better than Gnome Terminal? Why?

Couldn't you make your own theme? Port some GTK themes or something?

Why is GNOME being developed towards the mobile experience when you can't run it on anything other than the desktop?

Plasma is still a lot less RAM hungry than GNOME.
Xfce is still snappier, though. But it's just too obsolete and bare-bones for me and 300-400 megs of free RAM don't worth the hassle.
Integration into the file manager, custom icons on tabs, bookmarks, split views...you name it - Konsole has it. It works very bad with Powerline, though, which can be a deal breaker.
You can theme colors, window borders, icons and panel but the widget itself has only 3 default themes and only the Breeze and Windows 95 like one have GTK versions.

KDE and Xfce are best.
Cinnamon if you're on a touch screen.

>Gnome 6.0
>New Features:
>No mouse input: voice is the future, so now Gnome can hear what you want to do
>Test it!
gnome open tab search trap on female

Image source? How do I make Xfce look good?

you don't, it's a scam.

Arc

>main reason I hated GNOME is being removed

holy shit
Wayland is the future

Status icons is a must have for desktop bars, nothing to argue here gnome is just retarded like always.
They think that their market share is some kid using a tablet with gnome but in reallity those who use gnome are the remains from gnome 2.0 and those who switched from unity.
5 years ago you tell me witch DE to use and i would recommend you gnome but non...

It's not too late anons, come join us in the light.

You install Zorin Lite or ChaletOS

>Krita
>GIMP

>kdenlive not being shit

bloated shit

I don't really get the whole idea that the status icons in the top bar ala Topicons take up space, i mean, doesn't the whole fucking top bar take up space in general? without status icons, the only purpose it serves is to show the time

They're not removing topicons. They're removing the shitty slide-out bar on the lower left that you can only see if a program uses it.

Thank god for that then.

>Baloo

Fuck off

>remove window list
>now you have to press super du get a shitty dock to access minimized windows
>to minimize windows, you have to right-click the window border because they removed the icon
>now they remove the tray icons so you can't keep track of notifications and status messages of said minimized windows
>"we're so progressive!"
come on ...

Problem is that topicons is an extension being maintained by 1 dude or some shit

Just disable it.

>Still stuck in 1995 computing paradigm
>Don't know how to use a keyboard

Go away.

they probably thought that a tablet style controller was the hot shit kek

Is like asking to the whinners complaining GNOME to install an extension.

>it's oldschool to minimize steps to get a basic task done in favour of adding steps that are not even excusable with some "muh, touch"-memery.
kys

>disabling a feature you don't like
>the same as adding a missing feature by installing third-party software

>remove basic functions and tell everybode to install an extention to restore said basic function because an empty black bar on top of the screen is the future
p o t t e r y

>Baloo
>A feature

Cancer is not a feature and should not be included in any DE.

It works perfectly fine for me and Baloo enables features like file tags.

>Basic function
>Used by no one

You are win 10 material, paajet

hey, i have a great suggestion for the dev team: how about they remove the window borders completely and if you want to move a window, you have to alt-click it? wouldn't that be fucking MODERN?!

>Baloo
>It works

Sure thing, pinnochio