What the fuck is this language used for nowadays (besides memedroid and boring enterprise shit)?

What the fuck is this language used for nowadays (besides memedroid and boring enterprise shit)?

What the fuck is this language used for nowadays

everything

>posts the most widely used language in the world
Sure half of them are pajeets... but java is everywhere bro

>besides memedroid and boring enterprise shit
Nothing, those are the two remaining use cases.

You forgot webshit OP, warmed-up JVM is pretty fast.
Those 3 use cases make up for a good proportion of software needed.

>boring enterprise shit
>discounting 80% of the industry
>hip startups and hip giants use java ERPs

>boring enterprise shit
More like frustratingly bad enterprise shit, I'm a cashier at a supermarket and my register runs on Java. I can't even begin to tell you how many bugs I have to wrestle with every day, nor how absurdly slow everything is. Just a few nights ago I found a pretty significant security hole that was trivial to exploit, *completely by accident.*
I don't place 100% of the blame on Java for that; the developers who made the software are also at fault. I don't know how hard it is to write bug-free software in Java, but it's certainly not impossible.
I can't even put the blame on them either, since the company just simply may not even test the machine extensively before shipping them. They aren't cashiers, they're hardware manufacturers. It's understandable that they'd miss some things.
No, the *real* problem at the root of our buggy, broken machines is simply one thing: nonfree software.
Naturally, I don't mean to imply that if the software was GPL it'd magically have no problems. On the other hand, if there are problems and it's GPL, you'd better believe that they'd set to work fixing them as soon as they're discovered. If they don't, we'll find someone who will. This is in stark contrast with proprietary software, where the original developer can charge an absurd fee for a trivial bugfix. Why? Because if we don't pay it, we have two options: suck it up and deal with having the bug, or "vote with our wallet" and switch to another provider. In other words, purchase all new machines to replace all of our current ones, handle the logistics of getting those machines in and the current ones out, train all of our cashiers on the new software, and pray that the new guys are better than the old guys. So long as the fee to fix is under the cost of switching, it's still preferable.
The alternative, free as in freedom software, means we can say, "Fix it, or we'll find someone who can."

tl;dr Java sucks, but nonfree software sucks more.

It's def shitty code, Java may be ugly but it's stable and easy to debug compared to C++.

>literally impossible to write without a super bloated IDE
fuck java

Java is probably the most widely used language for server-side web application development.

It's easier to develop and maintain than PHP.
If you ignore the JVM starting up, it's as fast (or faster) than almost any other language.
The JVM only needs to start once for web applications, with each request in a thread rather than a process, so it's incredibly easy to scale.

Until .NET Core matures, Java is the best crossplatform server-side language.

Java is what you use if you aren't a memey startup trying to hire hipsters with anchor tattoos

desu management probably just doesnt want to spend any money updating it because there's not much to gain from it in their eyes. They'd spend more fixing it than they would get in return.

Most devs (in my experience) just make software to fill a proof of concept and the major security components and think it's done until they have to do mandatory security patching. Management makes most of the calls as far as what's "acceptable" and they've probably never really seen the application nor can really fathom the shittiness of the code behind it.

You can use a text editor and command line like all the others. But still. Fuck Java

>But still. Fuck Java
why

Shitty cable boxes

The United States' Computer Science curriculum.

It is used because all you need is a compatible virtual machine to run it and this abstracts the hardware away.
compiled > vm > scripting > bad scripting

for big serious, portable, secure, team work, documented, well tested projects.

>pasta

Kotlin with java libraries best. Modern C++ if want hardcore. C# if you love sucking Microsoft. Golang if you are retard.

you can, but you honestly shouldn't

just look at the fucking main class/function

Work

lol if you afirm that then you are really a super noob programmer

>Kotlin
but why

>Modern C++ if want hardcore.
>hardcore
sure, C++ is just a mess thats what it is, a fucking mess, there is only one feature java would envy to C++, operator overloading, C++ gonna end being the same patched shit C# is

After 17 years of programming in Assembly and C, my new boss wants me to do Java.. I can do Python and Ruby, but Java syntax is fucking cancer. Any recommended books for learning Java?

Does Java even have a book that is considered the K&R of Java?

Something that can work with the Java with no issues while avoiding Java retarded verbosity

>Golang if you are retard
You do know that modern architectures are multi core right? you do know that go concurrency model is GOAT right.

minecraft

>After 17 years of programming in ... C
>but Java syntax is fucking cancer

Java syntax is C syntax, retard.

int multiply(int a, int b) {
int product = 0;
for(int i = 0; i < b; i++) {
product += a;
}
return a;
}

>Any recommended books for learning Java?
Java in a Nutshell.
It assumes you have prior programming experience, so it doesn't waste time explaining "this is a for loop" and holding your hand through the entire process like it's CP1000.
It gives you very clear, concise explanations and code examples of every feature of the core language, including advanced topics like concurrency.

Buy the physical copy; I highly encourage just thumbing through it.

>return a
Woops. Should be return product.

But my point is still the same.
Java syntax was created to be identical to C because they wanted to get as many people as possible to use it - and at the time, that meant attracting C programmers.