Why do people still use mac books, or Apple produces in general?

For most, because they look nice and gives off an aura of superiority and wealth due to years worth of advertisment brainwashing.

For some, because they're "non-geek friendly".

And for even fewer, because they prefer or need them for various reasons, such as app development or because they like OSX is better than Windows.

because their the best

because *nix + significantly better defaults than linux distros (ignoring the horribly outdated gnu binaries)

1) Native Unix and POSIX compliance, which make it great for programming for and interfacing with linux servers
2) Dont have to tinker with bullshit to use it like linux
3) Multitouch track pad is unbeatable
4) Not spyware like windows
5) Integration across all apple devices and services
6) Good build quality
7) Support from physical stores across the world
8) Social status

>comfy materials
>best touchpad
>linux kernel for developers
>most advanced display that really makes a difference that noone can compete
>comfy resale value

Look, I know people have presences but.....
>Is expensive has hell
>Way Under powered compared to the competition
Now, you can also say "Well, it has a nice Operating system" You are also aware there are ways to get the operating system on a different PC. (Don't quote me on that)
Now there are some other things that are good about them, but still.

because i like their products and make enough money to buy them

>Dont have to tinker with bullshit to use it like linux
It's not 2006. If you like Aqua, that's a different story, but GNU/Linux isn't a sperg toy anymore.
>Not spyware like windows
It's likely not as bad, but it's hard to tell what Apple does, given how the App Store tool is basically streamlined access to sketchy shit.
>Good build quality
It's the same Foxconn garbage in a shinier case.
>Social status
Even normies think Apple fans are hipsters. They're status symbols only to poor people with credit cards.

I would also like to bring this up a talking point. Isn't it kinda annoying how Apple keeps replacing actually useful things, like, the function keys,the USB ports, or The charging cable for shitty gimmicks? But again, this doesn't account for preferences, If you just like Apple over Microsoft, that's fine. This is from a technical stand point. (I really should have listed that somewhere, now that I'm thinking about it.)

So, i assume you have a 3DO you bought at launch, as you judge products by their prices?

>GNU/Linux isn't a sperg toy anymore
Not saying linux as a desktop is bad or anything, it just requires more tinkering, and lacks some features and software that I use on macOS

>App Store tool is basically streamlined access to sketchy shit
App store is audited and generally safe, not to say, it contains quality software or that I use it for anything other than installing/updating Apple apps. I install everything with brew and brew cask just like you do on linux.

>It's the same Foxconn garbage in a shinier case
Not everything that Foxconn makes is the same quality. Im not saying Macs are the best build quallity, or that they are significantly better than other ultra books, Im just saying that they are good and last a long time. (I'm posting from a 2011 macbook pro that still works and looks great)

>Even normies think Apple fans are hipsters
lol just normies that are butthurt that they cant afford a macbook

In the end, im not trying to argue that macbooks are the best in every category, I am just answering OPs question as to why people use Macs

>Apple produces
that broken engrish... kek'd. what shithole are you from, Mohammed?

Sorry, that's not me being from a shit hole country, that's me being a retard. My apologies, sir.

I think it is forward looking of them. Why do we need all of these ports when one port can do all of the same things better? Sure it sucks in the interim, but in a few years when old technology is replaced it won't matter anymore.

The question is not “why Apple”, but “why anything else”

Most people saying shut about Apple, are the poor and need validation that they did a good choice (nobody is going to compliment your crapbook d75-6777/8b), or the idiots that want to play games, but they depend on parents, so they got a gaming laptop for Christmas or birthday, so they pirate games for free and not have to buy them with their allowance money, they want validation too.

Apple laptops are simply the best choice for productivity, they have balanced specs, top quality components, the design is really the best, it’s so good that it feels “undesigned”, so is the resale value, the purchasing experience, etc.

Then, after you get macOS, you just can’t go back to Windows or Linux, it is really the best one, because it might miss some points for 1% of people, but what it does, it’s extremely polished, and the workflow just flows.

It's sad you're so envious of MacBook Pro owners that you make these threads. Just ask your boss at McDonald's for a few more hours each week and maybe in a few years you can buy one.

>Is forgetting the fact that people might need those other ports.

>Not saying linux as a desktop is bad or anything, it just requires more tinkering, and lacks some features and software that I use on macOS
Every OS requires *some* tinkering to be usable to you. That's what makes personal computers personal. OS X is useless as a Unix-like OS without Homebrew, for example.
>App store is audited and generally safe, not to say, it contains quality software or that I use it for anything other than installing/updating Apple apps. I install everything with brew and brew cask just like you do on linux.
I'm only saying that trusting Apple as a company is a bit naive. Keep in mind the FBI phone fiasco where it turned out that they purposefully installed backdoors themselves to begin with and that the controversy was made up.
>Not everything that Foxconn makes is the same quality. Im not saying Macs are the best build quallity, or that they are significantly better than other ultra books, Im just saying that they are good and last a long time. (I'm posting from a 2011 macbook pro that still works and looks great)
Even shitty laptop models sometimes last a while. Quality is objectively determined by failure rate, and Apple is about on par with Dell.
>lol just normies that are butthurt that they cant afford a macbook
It's not a fucking car, most people can afford one if they really, really want one.

because ive had it six years and it works fine

So buy a $3 adapter from eBay or Amazon and shut the fuck up. The port argument is the most retarded argument ever. The dongles work fine and actually make the cable slightly longer, find something new to get mad about.

>Thinks all Non-mac user are poor.

>sir
POO IN THE LOO
O
O

I
N

T
H
E

L
O
O

>y-you didn't need that anyway
In 5 years there will be an unironic Macbook Wheel/Touch, calling it.

user,I love you.

> Every OS requires *some* tinkering to be usable to you. That's what makes personal computers personal. OS X is useless as a Unix-like OS without Homebrew, for example.

Shut the fuck up, do you think apt is part of Linux or some extra that comes pre-installed?

> I'm only saying that trusting Apple as a company is a bit naive. Keep in mind the FBI phone fiasco where it turned out that they purposefully installed backdoors themselves to begin with and that the controversy was made up.

Source for that? A witch told you?

> Even shitty laptop models sometimes last a while. Quality is objectively determined by failure rate, and Apple is about on par with Dell.

Pic related. Source Consumer Reports

> It's not a fucking car, most people can afford one if they really, really want one.

Nope. Pajeets like you need to work all year.

It's sad you're so envious of 3DO owners that you make these threads. Just ask your boss at McDonald's for a few more hours each week and maybe in a few years you can buy one.

That's.... Actually a good point, nice job buddy.

Naw not even.. Only broke fags worry what others buy with their money. It all comes back to being super envious cause they have no money and it drives them crazy when people who do have money aren't, "buying the right things".

We get it, you read The Onion

Boiiiiii.. 3DO.. Really? Rich or poor, nobody is looking for the 3DO.

>linux kernel for developers
what the actual shit ?

And by the way, who are you quoting ?

>Every OS requires *some* tinkering to be usable to you. That's what makes personal computers personal. OS X is useless as a Unix-like OS without Homebrew, for example.
True, but macOS requires less for me and generally has fewer problems in regards to the desktop

>I'm only saying that trusting Apple as a company is a bit naive
I don't disagree, though I trust Apple way more than a Microsoft and google

> Keep in mind the FBI phone fiasco where it turned out that they purposefully installed backdoors themselves to begin with and that the controversy was made up
Dont think is is true. Do you have a source?
> Apple is about on par with Dell
see >It's not a fucking car, most people can afford one if they really, really want one
It was a more of a joke than a serious argument but ok

Of course YOU're not looking for it.
You can't afford to even look at it.

A school district in my state is issuing ipads to every child from middle school to high school.

Apple is OVERPRICE shit! I buy thinkpad for much value and great perform. Fuck crapbook!!

>having to buy and carry around a dongle to use my $2000 laptop

16:10 High-DPI IPS display
Thin width and light weight
Aluminum feels good and looks good
MacOS is comfy as shit; looks good, have access to UNIX tools without dealing with ghetto feeling Linux
Good battery life
Quiet operation

I've had my rMBP 3.5 years and it feels as fast as the day I bought it. I'm happy with it. I only wish I had the 15 inch model with dedi graphics and a 1TB SSD

because everyone wants to have their 5 minutes of sexual intercourse with someone of the same sex

Like I said, It kinda sucks for right now when we still use those old ports, but it is forward looking. Wouldn't it be better if all ports were converged into a single, better, port? You can thank Apple in 5 years when everything is on USB-C and this argument is irrelevant

How about waiting the port to be adopted first to then drop the shit?

I got mine for free, it was a gift. Only reason. Will replace with Thinkpad as soon as it breaks.

Someone has to actually adopt the port first though, and thats exactly what apple is doing.
This is why I say it is forward looking.

Oh, no, that's fine. I'm just wondering why people still go out of there way to get them.

I need a Unix based machine that has an image editor that can draw circles

Yes, this is why you have the port.
But ditching the other widely used ports just because "courage" is retarded.

i have 2 macs, 2 desktops and 4 thinkpads

i like computers *shrug*

Linux:
>Unix based
>No support from Adobe

Windows:
>Not Unix based
>Support from Adobe

Mac:
>Unix based
>Support from Adobe
>Able to develop for Mac OS X, and iOS

Being able to develop and design on 1 machine without having to dual boot is pretty worth it, imo.

But if you have ports that can do everything why waste space, power, and money adding ports that can do less? If you need to use an outdated port, just buy a dongle for it an get on with your life. This is nothing new

you forgot:

Windows:
>spyware

>god damn apple removed the cd tray what were they thinking? they didn't even replace it with anything?! is it really for more "space"?

Got assigned mine from work back in 2012
I left and when I asked if they wanted it back a few months later they said they all switched to thinkpads so no point in returning it.
Retina screen is pretty fucking impossible to edit pictures with it's inaccurate with blacks and certain colors. Weak as shit, obviously can't do anything slightly resource intensive on it. Screen flickers when under heavy CPU load, windshield wiper of pixels. Got it fixed ones for a dead mobo and that was 400 bucks, hoped that would have also fixed the screen flicker issue since it would most likely be a GPU or CPU issue. Nope still happens all the time. Bad screen burn in, common on retina displays. Barely any inputs for peripherals, two USB ports. Shit tier battery, only made worse by retina screen. And so much more

You're my type of nigga. I just buy shit I like... I'm not worried about getting what other perceive to be the best things because it's not like I'm stuck with the same computer for the rest of my life. I'm not really loyal to any brand.

They removed it too soon, which lead to years and years of hell until CD stopped to be a thing.
Also sometimes they adopt standards that simply don't catch on, like firewire.

>not buying old macbooks
>implying the new macbooks are any good

Thinkfags are right. Older hardware is always better.

Because technically speaking, USB can do more than USB-C without turning your computer into a mess.

>2012
>MUH LAPTOP SUCKS NOW.

>5+ YEARS AGO.

Look man, if I still had my Asus gaming laptop from then it would be a giant turd now too.

For 2012, they were great. Now? We have a much improved product, especially in the retina screen area.

no. more like newer computers have a poor value proposition to a lot people who post here.

USB-C is way more useful than USB-A. What are you smoking..

Specs basically dont matter. Dedicated server machines exist. I have a macbook because it's light (less than a kilogram!), has no moving parts, good screen and looks good.
Also, stop being poor

Because rich hipsters exist

Just werks.

As long you have adapters everywhere.

>Thunderbolt 3
>Shitty gimmicks

>>>>>>>>

I'm aware of all of that, I'm just listing my personal experiences. I wouldn't buy another one so I'll never be able to share an opinion on the recent iterations. Still is a valid point that buying a laptop for 2200 bucks you'd expect it to live 5 years no problem with no issues. I've had all the previously listed issues since I got the thing, or developed within a year despite me being incredibly gentle with it.

Osx, ecc ram, xenons, all things you need if you're doing labor intensive shit like DAW or rendering that needs error prevention

>400 dollar thinkpad from 2008 still running perfectly with no issue to this day
>two grand macbook barely functional after five years
Gotta say it seems like an issue with the product, macs don't last long

That's bullshit. I've record gigs of music using apogee and never had a hiccup even when it was next to a drum kit taking a pounding. Had mine well over 6 years. Also have one of the first Intel still runs amazing because it hold more ram than windows os allows and it's ecc. They outlast pcs easily

my mac from 2011 is running great. This guy had problems but macs still have the fewest failures out of any computer manufacturer

Why do people still use windows when ntfs has a 5gb transfer limit? How can you get any work done

Can people stop with the fucking "Your poor shit"
It's like saying "Oh, you use Sup Forums, you must be a Nazi" Just fucking stop.

can you stop saying its expensive then

Good point, actually
But, It's still a valid point in a way

a POSIX-compliant OS with decent build quality. I like the integration with my phone, too.

Basically this.

Pretty much the only reason I can think of is to develop an iOS application.

> buy a $2000 laptop and don’t have the ports that will be used in years to come for everything, from cheap devices, to charging, to external GPUs

Fuck off, idiot!

Bait?

Most likely

Thought so
Wasn't sure if I was just out of touch and this is how Sup Forums operates these days

I've honestly never been to this board,so, don't ask me.

see picture from

OS X is the best Unix available.

Years of hell...

You fucking silly cunt.

Social indicator.

Im a software developer, I have a workhorse at home and work, but when I travel macbook pro is the best choice in terms of:
1. Battery life
2. Screen quality
3. Reliability
4. Portability

And since the money is not the problem, I choose to go with mac instead of doing a research of what is good this year from all the other companies and what might work for me in some cases but in others wont etc.
All in all, if I am about to buy something exactly the same or superior to it, I will spend the same amount of money, and the screen wont be as good.

They're* overpriced

You forget that Apple does not support Adobe, but Adobe supports Apple.

who the fuck cares. learn to Sup Forums and get your autism bucks, then it doesn't matter if something is overpriced.

Full stack web dev monkey reporting in
I just bought one today and I've already seen a greater increase in productivity.

I was using Arch Linux on my x230 for some time at work but:
>no Photoshop
>several tools aren't available
>Running wine to play some games is fucking awful

Lets face it... GIMP sucks. OSX has really good font rendering. Sometimes I want to play some light vidya (namely HS).

I don't run OSX at home, however I plan on hackintoshing my computer build and using OS X as my primary OS and dual booting into Windows when I want to play muh gaymes.

Pre-2016 macs were pretty nice. I develop apps for iOS, which is all done on Xcode, which you can only get on a Mac. On one of my more recent contracts, the company I worked for issued me the latest Macbook Pro, and I hated it. I had to use dongles for the privilege of plugging in a USB drive, one of the ports was usually taken because it's what is used to charge the Macbook and that atrocity they call the touchstrip or whatever ruined my work if I rest my fingers the wrong way. If things keep going this way and the only "innovation" that comes out of Apples is removing stuff I use, I'll start developing for Android and get a Thinkpad or something once I've run my 2015 Macbook into the ground.

Same.

I build my own desktops, but I've never really found a windows based laptop that has the same build quality as a macbook. Price really isn't an issue for me since I'm also on a tech salary. It's small things too. The trackpads really are the best in the market. Great battery life too.

Also I do a lot of UI/UX work, so having a screen that can show me how my designs look @2x is pretty important, which limits options. Plus windows' scaling is pretty bad.

Having unix under the hood and having graphics programs work for it is really a dream combo. Really makes web dev easy.

Unix + nice integration with my phone. I don't really care what Sup Forums has to say.

I need to run LogicPro, FinalCut, and I prefer OSX to windows 10

>Ask your employer for more hours
>Implying I have an employer and not employees
Posted from my Vertu Signature Touch.

Because they are the best:
- premium build quality
- a lot of tools for content creators
- better security than Windows
- some unixy tools
- nice calubrated screens
- can instantly turn on after sleep/hibernation
Staying in Apple ecosystem is too fucking expensive though. And the system itself feels more closed (because it is) than Windows or GNU/Linux.