Is there a chance of something dethroning windows 10 or did ms finally win?

Is there a chance of something dethroning windows 10 or did ms finally win?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/zeffy/wufuc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>did ms finally win?
No because they're still competing with themselves aka win xp and 7.

But Windows 10 adaptation has slowed down. I feel like each major update they do loosens their grip on the market

No, open source OS never compete because its not something can be commercialize

yeah it will take a few years tho

linux needs games, native adobeshit, a user friendly distro that doesn't look like shit and computers that ship with it preinstalled to overtake windows

once those prereqs are met i see no reason it wouldn't

what a strange cirno

NO fucking ice fairy's allowed

YES fucking ice fairy's allowed

How much is Linux going to pay Dell, HP, etc. to pre-install Ubuntu on their consumer machines?

southern fairies

l-lewd!

When was it throned?

I've got a throne for her to sit on.

Software compatibility will always be a problem

Stability is kind of a big deal too. True that Windows is not that stable, but still it's not "the unknown that fucks up" if that makes any sense.

>Is there a chance of something dethroning windows 10
Yea, Windows 7

I'll just post here instead of making a new thread.

I'm buying a new computer and was wondering which OS to get. I hear Windows 10 is shit and basically has built in spyware, so are there any drawbacks to sticking with Windows 7? It's served my well over the past 7 years.

Assuming you're unwilling to install gentoo (or more realistically, any Linux distro like Ubunut or whatever), then yeah, Windows 7 is good

Be aware that it still has a decent amount of spyware. The biggest difference is that it doesn't shove a ton of userspace bloat in your face (like the store apps, the ads, the updates you can't stop, etc.), and in general doesn't try to push the software-as-a-service cancer meme.
In other words, windows 7 lets you (mostly) control your PC, but it won't let you escape the botnet (at least not without significant tweaking).

You wont get windows updates with a skylake, kaby lake, or ryzen CPU on windows 7 or 8.1. Microsoft being faggots

>r did ms finally win?
Oh boy, are you late to the party, I have some bad news, friend.

Maybe I'll just dig out my old 486 from the attic and stick to DOS and Windows 3.11.
Fuck, I hate what technology has turned into.

There's this guy that made a patch that supposedly bypasses the processor check and allows updates to install normally on newer CPUs.

github.com/zeffy/wufuc

but I do not know anything about the project or the guy maintaining it.

Get an X61, mod in an IPS screen, install Libreboot and your choice of free/libre distro, and enjoy the comfy

>impossible future linux that is super sexy and just-werks
>windows botnet that costs money

huge companies would probably prefer linux if it weren't for the fact linux is mostly underdeveloped for OEM purposes

>Is there a chance of something dethroning windows 10
yah, windows 7

So, it seems my choice is to either be spied on or use an OS that Microsoft is deliberately trying to phase out.

>Fuck, I hate what technology has turned into.
this
fucking """telemetry""" everywhere

Who is this and why is she having sex with a Dratini?

...Or you could just buy a Thinkpad, install Libreboot and a GNU/Linux-libre distro, and replace your Wi-Fi card.

install gentoo

memes aside I had a lot of my normie friends asking me how to dualboot linux. Some of them switched to linux full-time and only use windows for gaymen and windows-specifics programs

The problem isn't Windows, it's Office.
Make people stop using Office and you kill Pajeetsoft.

>but.. games?
Gamers are a small minority of users.

Office the biggest ones but there's also the lack of professional software like adobe's various A/V softwares and photoshop on like Linux or other free OSes. Games would also help

The political situation doesn't exactly make it better. Now both sides want to spy on us. The right claims to do it for national security, while the left is pushing for thoughtcrime and censorship. And then you've got commercial interests, which usually involves collecting private information in order to shove targeted ads up our assholes.

I miss the wild west internet of the 90s and early 2000s.

at the very least allow it to be a one off purchase and not this subscription shit with 365

The problem is I'm an artist, so I spend most of my time in Photoshop and CSP, and getting a Wacom tablet to work with Linux sounds like a hassle. I also play around with 3D modeling and music.
While I wouldn't describe myself as a gamer, I do occasionally play games and plan to get a Vive.

I suppose I could get a Windows 10 computer to do the heavy lifting, while using this computer to surf, but those are some ridiculous hoops to jump through.

>getting a Wacom tablet to work with Linux sounds like a hassle
Nah, it works out of the box
>The problem is I'm an artist
Yep, that's a problem, I do graphic design for a living and must say that all GNU/Linux tools in this field are a chore to work with..
The only reasonable choice here is to work/draw on Windows/MacOS and boot into Linux for personal stuff. media consumption, etc.

little do you know [spoiler]nanami's corpse[/spoiler] in in that bean bag

>spoilers on gee

>did ms finally win
Welcome to 80s

>10 will never be this comfy

How can freetards even compete?

here's the freetard cobbled together version

You have google docs, microsoft 365 or w/e online office and most importantly you have libreoffice so that's really the least of the problems.

For developers it's just visual studio and C#

For digital artists it's adobe suite

Gamers could just fuck off and buy a console, honestly countless studies showed that only 3D platformers improve the brain if you play ~40 mins /day and the best platformers are on portable console and I bet the latest releases from steam are compatible with Linux anyway.

Oh and you already have talos principle, portal 1 - 2 available for linux that will take a lot of time to finish with 1 hr / day if you start now so you can still be busy working for society while on linux the rest of the day.

People it's just the zone of comfort that's all...

>google docs, microsoft 365 or w/e online office and most importantly you have libreoffice
L O L
O
L
Pathetic.

>but still it's not "the unknown that fucks up"

I miss that so much...

I barely remember what this even is.

>but still it's not "the unknown that fucks up"

looks like Windows Medai Center

Mods are offline again.

>installing something that isn't even ready yet
>using a device that the driver hasn't even finished setting up

>hasn't even finished setting up
not an excuse

The only thing keeping me from going full on linux is games. None of the games i play seem to do well with wine.

>eats raw mixed meats
>WTF WHY AM I SICK
subscribe for more food analogies

you actually do get updates on skylake now, ms changed their minds

>not disabling user input during setup

justify this

Thankfully you don't work anywhere.

>install Windows 10 on laptop
>everything goes alright
>lots of driverless devices in device manager
>look for drivers
>few minutes later notice Windows installed everything
>"how nice, it actually works now"
>reboot
>popup "need to restart"
>touchpad stops working

they were so close

>google problem
>have to install 3 different drivers of specific versions because of an update
>fix it somehow
>need to reboot!
>windows keeps installing the wrong driver despite turning off auto install drivers

Windows is still shit

You have a shit laptop if everything doesn't work out of the box with windows

CloverOS

>realize you have a driver problem
>download random drivers from your google searches
hopefully chromebooks take over because you normies are legitimately nonfunctioning retards

be quiet pajeet

>releasing it to the public before it's finished
I expected nothing less from MS

>if everything doesn't work out of the box

do you have reading problems?
it worked when I installed it
it broke itself when I allowed it to use the web

faulty RAM

I want to lick that ass

I decided to go back to basic(s).

I want to fuck that ass so fucking hard

I'd draw you fucking her up the ass, but I can't find an OS that will let me.

what is it with americans and assfucking?

One-off purchases still exist, the whole subscription meme also includes "value-added" services that they *can* bill monthly for

(The way I see it, they practically give away Office software itself, in return for monthly billing of the cloud services-SkyDrive, Azure, etc that come with Office 365)

Heh, i get what you mean by that

I think the question is why no one else is providing an alternative to WINDOWS. I'm guessing google could do it while including gaymers and word processing. Linux is fucked for gaymers.

Windows 10 is a fucking whore.

Thank you.

I'd rather rape it

what happened to year of the linux

linux is just as shit as windows, only in different areas, so never

Tomoko is adorable, stop spreading misinformation

Everyone knows windows is cancer but everyone is too lazy to make viable alternatives for what windows does

Literally this

Yeah, android, chromeOS or iOS.

Long term maybe some other desktop OS will seriously rival Windows, but for the coming years the ones mentioned above or new entrants for new form factors are the only thing Windows/desktop in general will lose marketshare to.

weebs need to go back to their containment board

anime website

I want to stick my dick in that botnet.

I dunno. You should call Dell and ask them how much Canonical pays them now.

Not since 2004

>True that Windows is not that stable
Not true.

>hack together workarounds
>it just werks
>only remember how bad it was when you upgrade in 5-10 years
>find new workarounds
At least the flaws are known and there is a userbase large enough to fix the problems.

I can't stop fucking looking at her

I can't stop fucking her.

In the future, normies will all be on mobile, gamers will be using consoles. and developers will be using Linux. Windows will be a relic of the past that still exists as a zombie, much like MySpace.

Moar

Who's fucking her?

ME

Why?