Is it still extremely cheaper to build a gaming PC rather than buying a pre built one...

Is it still extremely cheaper to build a gaming PC rather than buying a pre built one? I heard the difference is becoming less and less and some computer parts are ridiculously expensive because people are buying all the stock.

If it's cheaper to buy a pre built rig can you recommend any websites to get one from?

Other urls found in this thread:

slickdeals.net/f/10497980-cyberpowerpc-intel-core-i7-7th-gen-7700k-4-20-ghz-16-gb-ddr4-2-tb-hdd-120-gb-ssd-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1-229-99
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes, because you wouldn't pay for an OS and the "work" they put into combining parts.

>Is it still extremely cheaper to build a gaming PC rather than buying a pre built one?
Yes
Do you know what LEGO is?
If yes you can build one.

if the prices of computer parts rise so will the price of prebuilts. do your own fucking research

sage

In my local microcenter

They have a gaming dekstop with GTX 1070, i7 7700, 256gb SSd + 1 the HDD, windows 10, with keyboard and mouse, 2 year warranty, and discount on printers and headphones if you buy it along with it for $769

Beat that

Yea, especially if you ebay all your parts.

I haven't bought a new computer part.

Thanks to a more technically informed consumer, crypto currency boom, and other factors, as of this year, prebuilts are a better deal than building your own

Not even a 7700k... baka

Ok I know, still can't beat it

It will always be cheaper to build your own.
Only way it could be cheaper it would be cheaper to buy a prebuilt would be a liquidation sale.

Not true as of 2017 summer

Yes, also some sites mount the pc for you for arround 50$

>no RAM, PSU or Mobo
lol

if you are speccing a low end build or a tier build, building your own can be cheaper. Also most cheap prebuilts come with ddr4 2400 as the fastest options.

That being said, you can get a ryzen 1500x, 580 4gb prebuild for $800 or less right now. I just specced an itx with a 500gb ssd for $900

The price difference isn't as great as it used to be, and in many cases you can find prebuilts that haven't caught up with the recent price spikes for GPUs/RAM and get it for much cheaper than it would cost to build yourself. Be wary of PSUs in prebuilts though, they often chink out on them.

>Be wary of PSUs in prebuilts though, they often chink out on them.
Same with almost everything else. Slowest RAM available, cheapo mobos you can't even buy yourself, cheapest Seagate HDD they could find, 2009 SSD...

It depends who you buy from. There are companies that use high end components, but it comes at a price.

The only time a pre-built will ever be as good/better a deal as build-it-yourself is heavily discounted refurbished/open box specials. If you can find the unicorn on Newegg with no sales tax+free or nearly free shipping, plus some great 10% off instant rebate promo code, a pre-built PC might be worth buying.

Most of the time, these "deals" are still only as good as getting all the parts individually and assembling them yourself. You usually get at least a legit and registered OS though, instead of having to re-use an old one or take a high-seas voyage.

To add to this post, my dad recently bought a reasonably decent pre-built to use as a media center PC for his theater room. Since he has no real knowledge or care in the world how to build a PC, he sent me links to several open box specials and had me tell him what was good. He wound up spending $650 total on a PC that's roughly as follows:

>i5 7400
>128gb ssd
>2tb hdd
>GTX 1060 3gb
>2x4gb ddr4 2400 RAM
>case/mobo/crappy PSU/mouse/keyboard
>Win10

Not a STELLAR deal, and I'm giving him a 450W PSU I have laying around so whatever's in there doesn't take a shit on him, but for someone like my dad who doesn't give a shit $650 is a lot better than most people will ever do buying prebuilts. I even threw together a quick build on PC part picker just for shits and chuckles and couldn't build anything with similar components for less than $700. Add a legit OS and it only gets worse.

I built three rigs over the last 20 years (poor fag or rather just a cheapskate) anyways they have all lasted a long time and were very dependable and i saved about 3-6 hundred over pre-built. only thing that always hurt paying for was the OS since im a Win fag.

You... are you retarded?

>paying sales tax on $769

Sounds like a decent deal until it's not, user.

stop citing warranties like they will ever honor it. They're just going to send it back and make up some bullshit reason why it's your fault. This isn't just for technology, all warranties are bullshit because they never honor it. Best example is the auto industry they only keep say 5000 parts in stock and they'll get out of the warranty by saying it was only good if they had stock remaining. Whole concept of a warranty is just bullshit.

No, are you?

>not ryzen

Or just don't be a pleb and buy good stuff that doesn't break from a company that does honor warranties

>"You're holding it wrong!"

>throttling intensifies

>stop citing warranties like they will ever honor it.
confirm for never buying stuff from microcenter
microcenter is well known for their excellent no questions ask warranties

>this screen failure after prolonged usage is NOT an engineering failure
>fine, it is but you need to pay full repair price

I've had the opposite experience user, Warranties are great. But what they give back is bullshit.

"Here's a refurbished component that'll fail in a few months anyway"

I had more fun building my PC and deciding on the parts than I ever did gaming on it after.

>$769
>The combined price of 7700 + 1070 alone
>For the full tower + os + peripherals

I wouldn't buy used hard drive

You live in the US I assume?

Making you pay for repairing is not exactlty how I'll call "honoring warranties"

I'll give you that HDD should be new but still it's a component that it's not expensive.

Why does it matter if he doesn't intend on over locking? Is a few megahertz really that important?

Understandable, if you pay more attention to hardware, than games.

The biggest advantage of PC prebuilts is being able to buy em at a nice discount and then replace the shitty components for better ones.

And you can't do this with mac, as they're basically oversized iphones that happens to support x86 instructions.

same

technically it could be possible to get discounts on buying parts in bulk, and then adding cheap ass shit for rest of pc. like, 7700k+1070+chinapowah 1200w psu (that actually makes 150w)+cardboard case+cheapest mobo available that was cheap because it's faulty batch that randomly explodes caps

but yeah, it's probably bullshit

slickdeals.net/f/10497980-cyberpowerpc-intel-core-i7-7th-gen-7700k-4-20-ghz-16-gb-ddr4-2-tb-hdd-120-gb-ssd-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1-229-99

sometimes it's nicer to just pull it out of the box, plug it in, and not worry about failing parts. this one has pretty much everything a gaymer looks for with less shit to deal with

The only reason it has been cheaper to buy prebuilt recently is because retailers are hiking up prices of gpu while some prevails don't. So buying a prebuilt with a 1070 may be cheaper than buying the same parts separately.