/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Ok so it's more like a PO with a textured seamaster dial

You boys should start living and stop hating

Not my pic but this is what I wear. Hand me down from my dad.
Needs a replacement band though. The latching mechanism has worn off. How do you fags feel about NATO bands?

it looks nothing like the trident

the c60 300 is quartz, the standard 600 is 2824

Yeah I can see where the resemblance can be drawn; especially so with the orange bezel.

God damn phone posting.

>Owning a steinshit
>telling others how to live

neither a perlon or nato would look good on that

Still more of a watch than your nothing?

I like NATOs in general, but if you have a high end watch with a high end bracelet, I'd probably go with that.

id rather buy this than a fucking turtle

>nothing

Sorry kiddo I can't hear you over my explorer ii. Keep buying shitters by all means though.

Go to canal street and buy a knock off sub, same quality.

>I would rather buy a blatant knockoff instead of an original design
I am not saying I like the turtle, but I would feel like a loser wearing a knockoff.

Reminds me of that nasty Poljot that someone here bought.

I still can't get over the lume application on these slavwatches. It's too hilarious to me.

comfy

I don'y think you've truly experienced how bad Canal Street knockoffs are.

Besides the terrible kerning in "Rolex" and the six o'clock index being off by half a second and the awful bracelet link gap and the misshapen crown logo and the inevitably terrible fit and finish, it's not so bad. :^)

After 20 minutes of searching I see the default is called a bullet bracelet. I'll get one of those again.
Nice watch and you're probably right...wouldn't like right.

I don't like the look of mine tbqh but it's a sentimental piece.

Uuh they have new ones. Probably have to get one :3

I never understood these threads.
What's so interesting about watches?

They're cool.

The Strela seems to have had better lume application, and the modern re-issue uses buckets, but yeah a lot of the other ones were clearly done by some shaking and hungry Slav who was doing just enough to avoid the gulag.

The fact that you don't understand means you should get one and wear it. You will understand after that.

Enjoi ur fit bit.

Watches are the only jewelry a man should wear. Rings, outside of wedding bands, are for faggots.

>39mm
Have we started the watch size paradigm shift?

>Jewelry
So nu-male cuck garbage then.

Is it the mechanism that's cool?
I did and it was nothing special.
So, the same reason that women wear jewlery?
(I don't really get why women wear jewlery either to be quite honest)

more companies should be copying the seamaster scalloped bezel instead of the toothy submariner one tbqh

A Man wouldn't buy that white or pink anyways.

Let me guess, the OP photo drew you in?

A watch is a time piece and helps a man stay punctual. I said jewelry because I didn't want to have to include a qualifier statement as such.
Rings serve no purpose and neither do ear rings and necklaces, fucking heathens.

Yeah.

The mechanism is cool. The immaculate finishing is cool. The history is cool. The materials used are cool. The fact that you can see the industry changing from year to year is cool. It's also the only universally acceptable piece of jewelry for a man to wear, which means it's a pretty important fashion item, if you're into that.

That does look cool.

>wearing the watch on your hand
>having the crown dig into your hand
>all so someone can see your watch
>"h-hey guys can you see my ttt-tudor?"

>entire text of war and peace written on the dial
reminder me again, why does Tudor do this?

they have black as well buddy

I just wear one because I like how they look. Knowing the time without unpocketing my phone is an added bonus.

What are some watches for wristlets? I use the second to last hole on my Timex Weekender.

Maybe look into vintage Omegas, they're all like 36mm and have aged pretty well.

Seething wristlets.

SNK809, Raketa/Pobeda/Poljots, and vintage Omegas if you want something that isn't a complete shitter.

Datejust, Calatrava, or any proper dress watch

I don't think a dude in a Timex is gonna be looking at Calatravas.

Never know, I have a few Timex watches just to beat up in the woods and whatnot.

>t. fatass

Anyone can afford a Calatrava if they stopped buying shitters.

could*

I exclusively wear soviet dress watches.
Rate my autism in a scale of 1 to 5.

CCCP/5

Gran Autismo 5.

Thanks guys

Got a closeup of the case on the Roman numeral one? Specifically the pattern.

Best shot i have to give right now.
Don't like the pattern that much personally though, makes it look more feminine in my eyes.

Interesting. From the other photo I thought it might have been a laurel wreath sort of thing.

>id rather buy this than a fucking turtl
This is were you're wrong kiddo

muh dicc

Rate my sports shitter

It's a pretty good watch for the money. It's still shit but at least it's cheap.

The hands look exactly like pic related.

Not bad, user. Is that a working bezel?

>Is that a working bezel?
Yes, but not a clicking one. Rotates in both directions.

is the nigga with the snkl41 still around

To the guy who asked where I got the butterfly clasps a thread or two ago, I took them off the straps that came with this and another watch.

The turtle has some flaws, specifically the chapter ring but Seiko will fix it for you. Anyone who thinks that a Steinshit is somehow better is seriously delusional or must enjoy being looked at like they are clinically retarded by anyone who knows something about watches.

if you think nothing of watches, go read the book "Longitude" and you'll appreciate them if you have any soul left.

Newest acquisition, 2017 Speedmaster Pro (pic related.

Question: Tudor Black Bay Blue Vs. Tudor Pelagos. Which do you choose.

Blue Black Bay Bronze > Blue Pelagos > Blue Black Bay.

Pelagos because it's the best functional tool diver money can buy.

The Rolex forums agree with you @ Blue Pelagos

they're pretty amazing.

I like that watch, but
>watch on hand

>tips to you good sir

Take this numale shit back

Post your grails!

That pic is beautiful.

Mechanical watches are absolutely lovely

Lange is the master of traditional watches. Patek cucks need not apply.

Grand Seiko SBGH001

>one watch is representative of all of that model, good or bad
No.

What did you guys buy/get in the mail today? I'm a few steps closer to making my solid gold SNK809.

is this the old money/new money meme?

what's the msrp for one of these? the specs/movement are impressive on A. Lange & Sohne's website, it's gorgeous, and it's an ALS, but I wonder if it's a 15k piece... a 35k piece... a 45k piece.

Wow dude, $43 worth of gold.

The Steinheart is OBJECTIVELY better in every measurable way.The movement, case, bracelet, and every other physical component are superior to the turtle. In my opinion the Steinheart also looks better and is a more reasonable size.

Around 40k-50k, give or take.

L O L

Okay you're just shitposting now my dude.

movement
2892-a2 vs 4r36
one of the best mass made movements on earth vs seikos lowest end machine made movement that is used in the invicta pro diver.

Case
42x13 vs 45x13
The Steinhart case clearly has a far better level of finishing. The initial machining is better as well.The SRP has been plagued by qc issues since it was initially put on the market and they have never been resolved.
bracelet

Bracelet
The seiko clasp is slightly better but the steinhart bracelet has closer tolerances and does not rattle as the seiko bracelet does. The seiko bracelet on these models is chintzy.

NO one is going to think a big blue steinhart is a rolex. The proportions colors and bracelets are all different. Your only argument lies in the fact that you personally dislike watches that look like other watches.

What kind of moon runes are those?

The 5 vaguely looks like the Japanese/Chinese kanji for δΊ” with some weird scribble to the left. The red numbers I can read fine. The blue numbers are just crazy.

I thought they uses 6r15? Or was that the prospex?

>paying for an eta Rolex homage

whats some good Casio watch to destroy at the gym, rock climbing, hiking...? something more elegant than the terrorist one

Are the any other watches with completely BLACKED out or painted movements ?
I am wondering why glycine wouldn't advertise it more, you literally cannot find an official picture of it.

It's a glycine airman base 22 GMT btw

The large blue ones are traditional Chinese calligraphy. 15,30,45,60 are in normal script, so the same as Japanese for the most part. I don't know much about how Chinese is written, but I assume 45 is written that a way since three characters would throw off the balance. It says something like 'lunar calendar' next to the moonphase, and something like 'solar calendar' along the date track.

wish me luck

pic

I would not pay 500 for either watch but if i was going to pay that much for one it would be the steinhart as it is the better watch by far.

>MSRP

The Turtle is a better watch and can be found for less than $250, and you won't be a complete moron for owning one in the eyes of of watch enthusiasts.