Do you keep your computers on 24/7? Have you figured out how much energy you are using?

Do you keep your computers on 24/7? Have you figured out how much energy you are using?

I got a bill for over $100 USD last month for a 1 bedroom condo. Computer seems to use 66W idle under load and 230W with screen on and being used or playing games. Computer is an i5 3570 with a GTX 1060.

Paying around 15 cents USD per a kWh.

$4.22 for 14 hours of idle
$10.49 for 10 hours of load

Which means around $176 a year?

Based on this: energyusecalculator.com/electricity_laptop.htm

Is that typical for most people?

>Which means around $176 a year?

this is nothing

No I don't. That's not how you are supposed to use your computer..

230 W * 10 h = 2300 Wh

2300 Wh = 2.3 kWh

15c/kWh * 2.3 kWh = 34.5 c

That seems to be inline what I got before, i forgot to mention it's per a month.

Still the lions' share of your bill isn't going to be your computer, unless you're mining. Large appliances and air conditioning are where you should look first.

Also check your power-use numbers with a kill-a-watt or the like. Most modern machines and OSes will, if they don't put the machine to sleep, doze fairly effectively.

Yes I realize this.

I did use a power meter to get the numbers.

Just curious what other people are paying and how people manage running 5+ computers 24/7, must cost a shit ton.

Cheapest electricity in burgerland where I am now. Stay mad wattlets.

my bill last month was $80 and thats because it's been hot.

but basically, if you have a less than 600sq foot abode, it should never be higher than that. keep the thermostat at 78 - 89 degrees. use the windows for light instead of turning on any lights. use brightly colored paint. get an apartment that doesn't face the sun or at least has a tree or both.

My bill last month was like $300 but thats because I have A/C running like 16 hours a day.

A life-time spent as a field repair guy has taught me that most hardware failures happen at power-on. Whether it's the inrush or simply thermal shock, turning a machine on is very traumatic.
Some of the machines I worked on weren't supposed to be switched on outside a specific temperature range. Below certain temperatures connections could be stressed by cold-related shrinkage and fail at high inrush currents.

>do you keep your computer on 24/7
Yes

>have you figured out how much energy you're using
I haven't lately. I would guess approx 55-65W at Idle, another 135w for the monitor, and then maybe another 130w while gaming. My electricity is covered in my rent, so I don't really need to worry about it.

Yes, because my meter doesn't do shit.

No, since the A/C sucks in my 1BR, and I'd rather not have it any hotter than it needs to be in here.
Electricity is included in my rent.

If you're worried about your power bill, check your refrigerator first. A fridge that's running more than it needs to be can suck down a ton of power.

I don't leave my desktop on but my servers are on 24/7. They draw about 500w continuous.

How much you paying per kilowatt?

I bet it's costing you at least $400 a year to run the servers, can't you use a hosting provider?

I don't, because that would be stupid. Its essentially leaving your rig unencrypted for no reason.

Sounds like too much, unless it's a big house and you got expensive energy.

I have electric heat, so in the winter, I leave my computers on 24/7. I'd rather get some use out of the power, instead of just running it through a heater.

That must suck dick, because natrual gas is way cheaper in just about every country.

I really don't get why people chose electricity to heat homes. In what country does it make sense, unless you got single digit prices and near a hydro electric plant or something.

This. That said, I turn off my PC when I'm not using it (the home server, on the other hand, stays on 24/7).

Last month (it was hot, so the a/c was on a bunch) I got an electricity bill for $440. That's for a 1650 square foot house in inland San Diego area. Power is fucking expensive here. :/

holy fuck

How much is that AC using to generate such a huge bill?

I went for the most aggressive variable price plan I could, and I have my computers set up to poll the power company's webpage to see what the current price is.

My power costs tend to be around $0.09 a kwh at night, spiking up to $0.60 a kwh at peak usage times during the summer. I have things set up to shut down when power becomes too expensive.

> >100w for monitor
You guys using 99" screens or something? My monitor is like 35w or something

That was for about 1200 kWh. On a month where we don't use the a/c at all, we use around 400 kWh. Not all of the delta is the a/c, but a big chunk is (my wife works from home, and we have central a/c, so if the a/c is on [and it needs to be for her, otherwise she'd be in 90+ degree heat; we just had a heat wave where the average high for a week was around 108], we're cooling the whole house and not just a room.

At least for my costs, the power company charges the first 420 kWh cost at $0.21 per, and then anything over that is $0.43 per kWh. Southern California electricity prices suck.

>rent

AHAHAHABAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHABAHAHAHABABABABAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAJAJAHJAJAAJAJAJJA

stay poor

You want to burn out your laptop's life span? If you don't want it, you can give it to me.

Aussie here we usually switch ours off over night as power is expensive

Super rural America. Our co-op electric is $0.07/kWH, 24/7

High efficiency heat pump.

CRT probably.

Is rent worry-free master race?

>Do you keep your computers on 24/7?
Yes.

>Have you figured out how much energy you are using?
No.

My computer uses ~7.5-9W idle, 15W under load. Screen's something I turn off when not using it. Even under full load, 15W would be a total bill of $19.71 per year at the quoted price of 15 cents/kWh.

So yes, I leave it on.

$300 in the peak hot days of summer is average here, I'm in the midwest US and there were tons of days where temps hit 95F+. When winter comes we'll get hit with -15 degree weather and we'll pay out the ass for heating. The only time we get a break is a few weeks in April/May and September/October.