This is why Microsoft is and has always been the most relevant tech company: they have the best portfolio...

This is why Microsoft is and has always been the most relevant tech company: they have the best portfolio diversification out there.

You may not like it, but that's what peak performance looks like.

Amazons "Products" seems like it could be product down more?

But the total is small compared to the others. And it's shrinking.

>they have the best portfolio diversification
>most of their revenue is just windows, products that run windows, or products that run on windows

virtually all of Microsoft's profit is from selling windows and office at insane markups. That market is shrinking fast and everything else they try doesn't make any money.
Microsoft has no future even if they occasionally make good products.

>But the total is small compared to the others.
No?

>And it's shrinking
Since Ballmer left MS has been rapidly on the up and up

As opposed to:
>a bunch of shit that runs a glorified version of FreeBSD
>ads
>selling books and shit
>more ads
Yeah, stay mad.

>everything else they try doesn't make any money
We're hitting denial levels that shouldn't even be possible.

Azure and Office 365 have nothing to do with Windows

>Azure
Runs Windows
>Office 365
Runs on Windows

Not exclusively.

That's good for them. Windows is going to lose its dominance in the future, so it's smart to have other plans.

MS is taking over the cloud computing market with Azure, they took AWS' #1 place in the enterprise market (companies with 500+ employees) and it has superior growth rates compared to AWS across the board. Cloud services is where MS' future is.

It pretty much already did, it may have a stranglehold on the desktop market, but the desktop market itself isn't getting any bigger. Most people browse the internet using a smartphone.

>Windows is going to lose its dominance in the future
To what, exactly?

Reminder that there's still no real alternative in the corporate environment.

Azure supports other operating systems too, and Office runs on Mac and Android as well, you dipshit.

I think that user may have been wishful thinking, but also there's some truth to what he saw. Taking a look at the numbers, Microsoft's biggest department on that graph is at 28% of its $536 billion market cap. That's not even $150 billion; compared to 88% of Alphabet's $651 billion, it's nothing. This is exactly why Microsoft diversifies, though.

>that's what peak performance looks like.
Nope; that's what having a bunch of mediocre products looks like. Office and Windows Server/Azure is 50% of the mix. Windows is less significant to Microsoft than iPad is to Apple. And remember, Apple makes more money than Microsoft so 10% of Apple is bigger than 9% of Microsoft.
The big take-away should be the reliance on advertising by 3 out of the 5.

This

>mediocre
And yet, no competition in sight...

You don't get to be a tech company that's been around for over 40 years unless you're good at adapting, I doubt Microsoft will die in any of our lifetimes. They are the old guard in every sense of the word.

Forcing Ballmer into an early resignation was the best decision they made in a long time. By all rights Windows should have been one of, if not the dominant player in the smartphone market, he really fucked it up.

Microsoft is dead.
their """diversification""" is based on a single platform. when PC dies, so will Microsoft.

The only thing there that has any ties to the desktop market is Windows, which they have successfully diversified away from as their main source of income. They are refocusing on the enterprise market with all their cloud shit and doing so very successfully. MS is still growing every year, often exceeding projections. All in all the death of the desktop hasn't really hurt them at all.

That graph is very misleading. There's like 10 billion personal computing devices in use today, compared to hundreds of millions a decade ago.

Their "diversification" is already on the dominant platforms in the market.
What other excuse do you have?

Reminder that Androids still pay Microsoft royalties.

When will the silly "durr Microsoft is absent from the mobile market" meme finally die?

>Reminder that Microsoft is a software patent troll.
FTFY

>implying

A patent troll doesn't actually make anything. Microsoft did more for handheld computing than any other company.

>implying software patents should be legitimized
Do you work for Microsoft?

Microsoft is set to lose in cloud, has already lost in ads, has no chance in AI, lost mobile, and is going to be losing in Servers due to the flexibility of AWS. I would expect Microsoft to fall apart in the coming years, the only thing they have a solid grasp on is the desktop OS market which is falling.

I like how Amazon refers to their advertising targets as "products"
Amazon sells everything at a loss.

How so? No one uses bing on mobile. Very very few use office mobile. Nothing else translates.

Btw, they're getting their asses handed to them in Server. Several enterprises (mine included) are switching to AWS which - protip - is Linux.

Office 365 does online exchange hosting for damn near every business out there. And runs on about any os at the user end.
>oh I'm sorry I meant the consumer version
Tard

>Amazon sells everything at a loss.
Not really. They just keep dumping anything they earn back into new projects.

My purchase history stands to test that.

Couple months ago I bought a brown network cable and some brown nail on cable holders. 6 bucks and 3.50 respectively.
They both shipped from the UK.
You can't fucking mail a letter for that cheep.
I've also straight bought tires for cheaper then anywaywhere else, and fucking threw next day shipping on them for lulz.

If it was shipped through prime, it's a numbers game. The majority of people are paying more per month than the sum of the shipping for their orders.

Yep, all through prime, 147 orders so far this year.
I can see where some people only buy a few things a year, but I've also looked in usps trucks before and it's literally ALL amazon boxes

Apple is the single most profitable technology entity on the planet.

>I've also looked in usps trucks before and it's literally ALL amazon boxes
That might be why they're hiring their own delivery drivers.