What's the point of having a desktop PC if you're not a gaymer?

What's the point of having a desktop PC if you're not a gaymer?

why not a prebuilt laptop from a reliable brand + external monitors?

For normal tasks like programming, it's more than enough.. it's portable and more reliable than building your own thing

Business laptop + docking station master race

the best of both worlds

can you recommend business laptop
and docking station ?

If you aren't a gamer then all you need is an iPad. Programmers get used ThinkPad's anyway.

Used chinkpad?

The issue now with your idea is the growing absence of removable batteries. I wouldn't mind using mine as a desktop replacement if I could take out the battery. But as it stands now, that battery is getting worn out even while I'm on AC. No good.

It's also a bit expensive to get a mid-range laptop versus a mid-range PC. I like things one step above "good enough tier," and closer to "everything I do goes smoothly tier."

All you need is a Macbook

>business class docking station
Not necessary these days, just get a cheap docking solution for $20 and use any laptop, same performance just costs way less.

Yeah no maybe you and a few others don't include everyone in your shity tp laptop circle jerk

What is a Patrician tier laptop I can buy for using Linux on it?

I need something well built and reliable... no gaming or any heavy tasks

1) Cheaper
2) More flexibility in components to suit your day-to-day or professional needs
3) More room for upgrading if needed
4) If portability isn't desired, then no point in a laptop
5) Once you've done it enough, reliability isn't too big of an issue. In my experience, I've seen far more laptops croak and require expensive repairs (or are irreparable). I've only had one motherboard fail and one stick of RAM fail in a desktop over the past 10+ years spanning probably a dozen computers.
6) Depending on the laptop quality/cost, it can run loud/hot. Easy to put together a desktop machine with cheap components and have it run very quiet and cool.

That all said, if you do want portability and a laptop suits your use-case scenarios, and you can afford them, then go ahead and get one.

If it just sits on my desk 24/7 with an external mouse, an external keyboard, and an external display, why wouldn't I just have a desktop PC? If I regularly took my computer places, or if I didn't have enough space, or whatever other reasons you can think of, it would make sense. But why sacrifice comfort and spend more money on less powerful hardware just for that?

>But why sacrifice comfort
If it's not being taken places for use with a chiclet keyboard and trackpad anyway, which comfort are you talking about sacrificing? The comfort of putting your feet up on your tower?

>and spend more money on less powerful hardware just for that?
He's stipulating that the power standard here is "normal tasks like programming." That's both a low threshold and a clear one. Caring about more is outside the scope of the proposition.

>What's the point of having a desktop PC
Is this what Sup Forums has become?

>Why not a 'reliable' laptop
All laptops are shit. Why the fuck would I pay *anything* for a 14" 1080p screen in 2017? Same goes for a touchpad and a laptop keyboard. Not to even mention that in 99% of instances, a laptop Core i5 is a dual-core CPU limited to 15W power draw.

No real upgrade options, few ports, shitty ergonomics. Literally the ONLY thing a laptop has going for it is mobility. I will invest my money in a desktop 100% of the time. If I actually need to work remotely in a place where my employer doesn't give me access to a desktop PC (hint: most people don't), then I will buy a Chromebook and use it as little as possible.

>1080p screen in 2017

why would you get a laptop with a 1080p screen in 2017?

>What's the point of having a desktop PC if you're not a gaymer?
I'm a 3d animator.

I wouldn't! But look at what's affordable today. Sup Forums likes the thinkpads, but look at how much you have to pay to get a thinkpad with higher than 1080p resolution. People are actually buying laptops today with 1366x768! And they apparently just don't know any better. I feel sorry for the new generation.

>ThinkPad's
>d's

>t. Assblasted Dell/HP owner

I make the rules around here bitch

>What's the point of having a desktop PC if you're not a gaymer?
Heck, I'm a gamer and my laptop works fine.

Also, you may or may not be aware of this, but "gaymer" refers to a member of an actual SJW movement.

Because mini-itx cases like pic related exist and cost a fraction of a laptop with similar specs or better.

What's the point of having down syndrome if you're not a shitposter?

hey gies are there a latpop that has a good trackpont is business class and has a nice keyboard and can run linux.

>more reliable
yeah, no

>Desktop PC breaks
>Replace Part
vs.
>Laptop breaks
>Buy new laptop

Also, laptop CPUs have halved core counts and lower clock speeds. If you're doing anything that requires your hardware to actually do work, you're looking at much better performance per dollar with a desktop.

good choice for fanless, but not fast enough to watch movies.

what? movies take nothing dude, a measly raspberry pi can play 1080p.

>Laptop finally getting long in the tooth
>Three weeks ago, get a cheap Windows 10 tablet for peanuts
>Tablet stand, bluetooth mouse, bluetooth mini mechanical keyboard
>Cordless Gat blues on the go, clicky enough to annoy everybody around me wherever I type
>feelsgoodman.jpg

thinkpad

What processor?

lolwut, this takes pic related which can cool even A10 APUs.