Redpill me on *BSD. Are any of them worth using...

Redpill me on *BSD. Are any of them worth using? Linux looks like a sinking ship to me and I'm considering OpenBSD as my new daily driver due to its security and simple scope.

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html
hardenedbsd.org/content/easy-feature-comparison
hardenedbsd.org/content/roadmap
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's blue pill all the way through

It is good. But if you intend to use as a desktop, get ready to setup all the things. I used for 6 months and got tired.

I use it for some file storage stuff and I think pfsense might be based off it but thats it. The driver and development situation is worse then linux. Basically all the linux downsides magnified.

Why should I care about drivers if I find a setup that has everything I need? It's not like I need gaymes or anything

>if I find

And even then linux is better supported and more people developing for and on it.

openbsd is good for servers, but pretty shit tier as a desktop. don't get me wrong, i love openbsd. but freebsd is a much better desktop.

And windows is better supported than Linux with more people developing on it, your point is?

>freebsd
They took the SJW blue pill.

holy shit. Shut up faggot

>defending female developer that doesn't even contribute to core and works for Amazon
wew

they dont care that youre using it. so why care that they develop it?

Yes. Do some research into what each *BSD is specialized for. Ex. OpenBSD is great for security (only OS that wasn't found to have a backdoor ;)) and NetBSD is great for running on literal GE toasters. If you go the OpenBSD route you're gonna be in pain for the first few weeks, but everything makes more sense than how linux is setup. And no systemd "running a job on x (3s / 10m 4s)."
A lot of compiling from source. And compiling dependencies from source.
We've been around long enough to know more people == shittier. A flood of low-skilled developers hacking around. The only thing Linux has going for it is the kernel, everything else, while there is a lot of code for it, is dogshit and insecure.
FreeBSD more like please poz me up BSD.

>jumping from a sinking ship to a sunk ship

Except they do care.
freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html

If I start using OpenBSD regularly I should be able to work with PozzedBSD later without many issues right?

re-read his post carefully

Reread his post even more carefully, and then reread mine.

That's an "community" CoC, they can't do jack shit to stop a Sup Forumsack or stormfag from downloading an iso and installing it on their toaster. The only thing they can really do is blackball you from getting patches accepted.

Why the fuck would you use BSD if you're too retarded to contribute anything? Anyways stop moving the goalposts.

What is exactly sinking about GNU/Linux? The fact that their market share is growing and about to catch up with OSX? Or the fact that the vast majority of smartphones use Android which is based on Linux? Or maybe you were talking about nearly all servers and supercomputers in exists that use GNU/Linux?

systemd feature creep raping most major distros with bloat. red hat and canonical pushing for GNU/Linux to become windows 11

You're aware there are distros (Void, Devuan, Gentoo) that don't have systemd, right? There isn't really a reason to switch kernels because of userland cargo culting.

That said, OpenBSD's BDFL is pretty based and a lot of good crypto tools (OpenSSH, libressl, etc...) come from OpenBSD.

Devuan is on life support, eventually the small dev team will surrender to Poetterings. Void is my ideal type of Linux and it's what I'm currently using but it still doesn't have enough documentation. Gentoo would be perfect if it didn't take forever to compile something a shitty processor. OpenBSD is appealing because you can install a lot of the comforts of Linux on it and it's extremely well documented and secure

dont be a prick when you contribute then. the guidelines are like 'interacting with real people 101'.

what does freebsd provide over openbsd on the desktop besides nvidya and wine

more people use "linux" than openbsd, but way more people use openbsd than void or devuan. thus you're more likely to have good documentation and more packages.

A bit better compatibility with cool stuff.

compat libs, so all the stupid desktop utils can actually run, and nvidia driver so you can have a modern fucking opengl driver that doesn't suck balls like mesa

who needs opengl when you have no gaymes

>doesn't support ZFS
>doesn't support Docker
>scetchy support for modern RAID controllers and NICs
>tier-3 platform for most projects
It's even worse for the server than for the desktop, unless your server is ftp + perl CGI a la 1998.

Can I throw a recommendation in for looking at HardenedBSD? It's based on FreeBSD which means there's ZFS, dtrace, and everything else, and it aims to fix all of the "security" issues of FreeBSD.

daily openbsd thread by our resident openbsd shill

God forbid we talk about anything. You stupid cunt!

HardenedBSD isn't meant to be used as an OS, it's a testing facility effectively, the progress gets ported into FreeBSD.

You're thinking of TrustedBSD which has received commits or financial support from DARPA, NSA, McAfee, Apple, Google, UCL and probably others I'm forgetting - it's responsible for stuff like the MAC framework, GEOM, OpenPAM, OpenBSM, Capsicum and others with all the work being merged into FreeBSD after it was fully developed.

HardenedBSD is different, it's the FreeBSD code forked by two people who are just as passionate about security as Theo de Raadt was in his early days, and if you look at hardenedbsd.org/content/easy-feature-comparison you'll see which features are unique to HardenedBSD and how they stack up against OpenBSD too while hardenedbsd.org/content/roadmap lists what they're working on.
Having said all that, yes there are some things which get merged back into FreeBSD (a simple grep of the svn history shows what), but HardenedBSD offers a lot more.

Using it as my server and desktop, works fine. Just get supported hardware.

Packages are very up to date; even the latest Gnome (if you want to use that crap).

Drawback is the crappy FS. They should port HAMMER or HAMMER2.

UFS is fine ok?
ZFS is ok too

It works, but I want flexible partition sizes, snapshots, etc.

did you consider using DFly if you want their features?

>He doesn't use an Amiga-like OS

Nor do you, faggot. It's literally the first image in rgis.

OpenBSD is a development OS used by OpenBSD developers. Every other answer in this thread is wrong. This information comes straight from Theo de Raadt. Yes you can set up an OpenBSD machine as a practical desktop PC, I use it as such. However nobody wants you to use OpenBSD. The project openly tell states that they do not want or need your patronage.

Anyone comparing OpenBSD to other operating systems does not understand the OpenBSD project at all.

why they want my dmesg then?

times have changed user. theo has petitioned for donation in recent years. they're quite welcoming of anything but nonsense.

also they've made considerable effort to simplify things. installer, secure by default, documentation, default-only kernel support.

it's just the occasional "why this, why not that" they have to just have to explain the reality of the situation of "do it yourself if you want it." i mean what else are they supposed to say? it's not linux with all kinds of funding for CS students pet projects.

No.

they're pretty different from a userland perspective

i don't think freebsd even has useradd and instead one tool does everything

yes all those features are required for a good desktop experience

oh wait

um you do realize oracle burned freebsd on zfs. just like apple.

OpenBSD doesn't have Xonotic port, it's up to you if you can live with that.

yet openbsd has an alephone port when most linux distros don't seem to have a package

seriously what the fuck

Android is closer to BSD than linux. Yes the kernel is the linux kernel but the userland (eg. the stuff that actually defines your user experience) is a mix of BSD stuff and proprietary google stuff.

>Linux looks like a sinking ship to me and I'm considering OpenBSD as my new daily driver due to its security and simple scope.

Fuck, do you even think when you type?

>android is closer to BSD than it is to linux
>a system that uses linux as its base is closer to BSD
hmm

If you use ports to install linux stuff on bsd, then you are basicly bypassing the bsd security.
If you want it secure you need to stick with the bsd packages.
Linux is more secure as desktop.
Bsd security is only valid for servers, sorr y.

> (OP)
>...about GNU/Linux?
>...Android which is based on Linux? >...supercomputers in exists that use GNU/Linux?

>using the terms 'Linux' and 'GNU/Linux' in the right context
10/10

>TrustedBSD
Android is indeed closer to a BSD userland than to a GNU userland, which is probably what he meant.

I use OpenBSD as my daily driver and it's fantastic.

ignore this idiot

posting this from freebsd right now. come at me virgins

what in that document do you find contentious?

>no racism
>no calling out trannies on their horseshit
Shoo shoo filthy Jew

all the linux distros say the exact same gay shit

If you can't handle not being a racist in a professional environment you have bigger issues to deal with.

And I don't see what users/developers being transgender has anything to do with their contributions to freebsd and why that needs to be called out.

All the document is saying is that if you interact in the freebsd community (forums, irc, emails, development pages, etc) don't be a jackass. That seems like a reasonable request that any company will have in their terms of service for interacting in their community/developer spaces.

t. kikeus rex

I suggest you stop using any software with a community/social component attached because they will all have these clauses

OpenBSD doesn't have this.
You're not hiding your kike agenda very well

openbsd is a honeypot to keep an eye on whackjobs

pfSense is based on FreeBSD

>But if you intend to use as a desktop, get ready to setup all the things.

This. Got frustrated with all the shit I'd need to pkg install with FreeBSD so I tried TrueOS. Lumina froze with a black screen and mouse pointer, and none of the applications in the Fluxbox right-click menu seem to have been installed. I installed a couple browsers and xterm, but I have no idea what some of the applications are called in the repos so I can download them, like AppCafe. Might just throw Fedora on my bored little T450.

>Got frustrated with all the shit I'd need to pkg install
i don't really understand this. the bsd's aren't any harder to install than arch and i'd argue easier than gentoo. just use ubuntu or fedora if you don't like configuring shit

openbsd in particular has shit performance on anything approaching modern hardware. run it on your routers and NAS boxes, etc. Use something better for your laptop unless you like multi-second freezes when opening/closing tabs.

Is there some special option that puts the kernel in Slowaris emulation mode?

Once Linux reaches 5% market share it will no longer be obscure enough and I intend to move my anime ricing efforts to *BSD

BSD BSD BSD