Who switched to Linux this year?

Who switched to Linux this year?

Your mom

Install gentoo

I just installed Linux Mint on my laptop, I study computer science on nooblevel and my teacher recommended Mint. I like working with the terminal

Give me one legit reason to switch to Linux apart from privacy bullshit. Because right now that's the only argument penguin fags have.

I switched back to Windows after 4 years of Linux

also did the same about 3 months ago for my work laptop. some drawbacks (compatibility) but mostly improvements all around

Tried it, spent over 8 hours copy+pasting terminal commands to try make it not run like shit, even just trying to get a somewhat responsive feeling web browsing experience but even disabling chromium flags gives less hw compatibility than windows so I gave up and put Windows 10 back on.

I'll try again in another decade maybe.

making your desktop work how you want, using alternate window managers, updating all software at once

I switched back to Windows because I realized that I can run everything that sucks on Windows on Linux in a VM and this is 1000x better than the other way around.

Yeah me. Ran a Hackintosh first for a while until I got real tired of Apples locked down bullshit.

Running Arch w/ Plasma now. Not looking back.

It uses less disk space.
It is easy to grasp.
It is easier to troubleshoot.
Update system that works.
Better software license -> more comfortable to use as a user.

>It uses less disk space.
Literally irrelevant unless you run a 64GB ssd macbook air or some shit.
>It is easy to grasp.
Yeah, well... no.
>It is easier to troubleshoot.
If you know your way around, certainly. Not everyone knows /proc/ by heart though.
>Update system that works.
Unless you are on anything other than RedHat/Fedora/Debian stable in which case every update always breaks something.
>Better software license
Literally irrelevant.

H8ter

Last year i switched from linux to openbsd

>privacy bullshit
If you don't care about your privacy - you are very stupid kid.
That being said if you are not a dev - GNU/Linux is worse than Windows in almost every way. It's unusable for any kind of professional work and as an entertainment platform its capabilities are very limited.
So yeah, looks like there is no reason for to use it (at least for you).

Me.
And my mom, unironically

I've switched in 2012

Is Kali any good?

>Literally irrelevant unless you run a 64GB ssd macbook air or some shit.
I personally use a laptop w 256gb ssd and it matters to me.
I have windows in a VM for a single application I use once a year and that image is 55gb.
That is relevant to me.
>Not everyone knows /proc/ by heart though.
because sane people use /sys/
>>Better software license
>Literally irrelevant.
The software license is the main reason why I use it.
When I spend money on computers, whether it is for my workplace or privately, I don't have to set aside money for licenses.
Privately, I avoid applications that nag me to purchase it or I avoid malicious features.
Professionally, I avoid worrying about the extra costs of adding another system or who to contact when I need to set things up.
If something doesn't work, I ask my employer if it is okay that I fix it the proper way and they usually say yes, so I get to contribute to open source projects while I work.
This is mostly relevant because of my profession, but still.

not for a daily use distro

>I use once a year and that image is 55gb.
See? My Linux VM that I need to develop databases etc. is 20GB.
>because sane people use /sys/
Sane people use a system that just werks.
>The software license is the main reason why I use it.
Is this your main pickup line?

I tried several distros but they are all buggy as shit.

My switch is pretty gradual, so maybe me? I think I started dual booting on my macbook after new years, but I started dipping my toes in LiGNUx like 6 years ago.

First I dual booted Ubuntu/windows, which you could just set up from inside Windows without a usb or anything, super conveniently. I don't think they still have that, but it was what made me start.

Then about 3-4 years ago I installed Debian, writing over all my viruses and proprietary software, but that was just because I had got another laptop (the macbook) and felt safe. I basically only used the new one, and still do.

Then 2-3 years ago I bought an old x220, and installed debian, then arch, and now fedora. I really liked fedora scientific, so I installed that on all three previously mentioned laptops around christmass.

Oh yeah, and I tested OpenSUSE on my oldest laptop last week.

I switched from GNU/Linux to Chrome OS.
>best update system of any OS
>ultra fast
>amazing battery life
>runs Android and Linux apps
Get on my level.

ITS CALLED GNU/LINUX
FUCKING MILLENIALS

OKAY NO NEED TO SHOUT!

THIS !!

I just got nothing to hide. And it doesn't really bother me that the most the botnet can do to annoy me is to give relevant ads based on my google searches.

been jumping back and forth for around 20 years.

Started on Red Hat 5, then Debian... went back to XP...then 2000, then hopped on Red Hat for a bit again, back and forth back and forth. Stuck with 7 for its lifespan, went to 8 and 8.1.. that was alright, used 10 for about a year before realising the start menu cant even be fixed so going from the release candidates to gold was no different. Ended up on Mint, Debian, Arch, Antergos (yeah yeah same shit i know), Ubuntu, Manjaro, back to Windows 10 after Red Stone to see.... got fucking annoyed within a month and back to Manjaro.

Got fucking annoyed with how utterly shit and pointless Linux is still in the year 2017 and went back to Windows 10.... before giving up on Windows 10 after 3 days because it still wants to do forced reboots while i'm in the middle of doing shit at 5am and you can't disable the forced reboots not to mention the zillion fucking trackers its connecting to constantly flinging DNS requests up the wazoo....

and now i'm back on Manjaro. Originally stuck with this because fglrx still works with a downgraded xorg and I need fglrx because open source drivers for linux despite what everyone will loudly and rudely tell you, they fucking suck shit

the linux community is mostly snarky elitist assholes and even if you join one somewhere and ask a simple question someone will come along and be rather abrupt and rude and pretend they know exactly what the problem is and proclaim how its such a simple fix.... but then after you follow a bit of their advice they simply disappear and never return because they literally have no fucking clue what they are talking about , I think the shit community mostly is what drives a lot of new users away.

so for now, Windows 10 is better in every single way except for a shit start menu, shit forced reboots, shit privacy,

Linux is better because: ..... I can reboot when I tell it to. that's about it for me.

20 years using various linux distros and it's still pozz'd

>and you can't disable the forced reboots
The option to disable that is literally there. How the fuck do people have so much trouble dealing with Windows' update policy? Or am I being trolled?

Bot me but i'd like to. The only things stopping me are photoshop cs6 and ms office, both work like shit on wine and powerpoint doesn't even open.

>I've got nothing to hide

That is the dumbest fucking statement ever conceived. Everybody has something worth hiding. Something personal. And everybody deserves the right to their privacy. Just because you're comfortable with some company or group knowing every detail about your life, doesn't mean other people are. How would you feel if you knew that every day when you left for work or school, that some asshole was walking into your house and going through everything you own? Even if you had 'nothing to hide' you would still feel violated. Its like someone looking over your shoulder ever second of every hour of every day of every month of every year of your god damn life.

>Got fucking annoyed with how utterly shit and pointless Linux is still in the year 2017
yep, that's also bothers me. 99% of applications are below shovelware standards. You literally can't do shit on your system if it's not some kind of media consumption or dev work.
I've got a Debian install on my notebook which I mostly use to browse the web, IRC, etc. but Windows 10 on my main rig where I do all my work and spent the most time in not going anywhere anytime soon.

>using Linux as a primary and only OS
Jesus Christ how horrifying.

>I've got nothing to hide

Literally kill yourself, brainlet.

Much easier to develop PHP and node.js on GNU/Linux. I currently develop on Windows 10 and I always need to use both git bash and windows command line.
Other than that Windows 10 is perfect for everything. Literally best OS if you aren't a sperg nor a drooling idiot who needs a golden cage.

>this year?
are we in 2012??

>the linux community is mostly snarky elitist assholes

Well I'm not one of them. I know its a rule that Sup Forums isn't tech support, but I'm glad to help people that need it. Fuck, I've been there before and the transition to a new OS can be weird. If someone has a legit question that I can answer, I will ever time.

Just got memed into uninstalling Windows 10 and installing Arch. How hard did I fuck up?

I only use Windows because NT > Unix-like.
>20 years and ReactOS still isn't even XP level
If ReactOS could even just get to NT 6.0 level compatibility I would switch in a heartbeat, it would be literally everything I want in an OS, my dick gets hard just thinking about it.

>shit start menu
You can resize it, if you drag it all the way to the left it you get a much more 9x-esque start menu like in pic related. Why this isn't the default look I have no idea.

>shit forced reboots
It doesn't force a restart unless you ignore an update for a long time (2 weeks?), which you shouldn't be doing anyway. If you must postpone it even further, you can disable the automatic rebooting in the task scheduler.

>shit privacy
Can't really do anything about this, it's inherent in Windows. You can reduce it quite a lot if you use the enterprise edition but it still spies on you about as much as 7 does.

Also Windows 10 uses p2p to partially deliver updates by default, make sure you disable that, it's a big source of 10's network usage.

I switched in 2008,but welcome user!
>Give me one legit reason to switch to Linux apart from privacy bullshit. Because right now that's the only argument penguin fags have.
Alright
>ext4
>use any DE/WM you want
>package managers that aren't hacky 3rd party solutions
>secure
>doesn't crawl to a slow over time
>UNIX inspired structure
>freely distributable and mass deployment with no licensing issues
>don't have to reboot constantly without affecting your system
>all the major drivers are in the kernel so you can install it on most hardware in the past 20 years no problem and everything will work with no extra setup required
>large communities surround it making troubleshooting ezpz
>hardly no shitware, most publicly available software was made to do a job of soem sort
>You can play SuperTuxKart the way it was intended
Look nigga, nobody's gonna force you to use GNU/Linux. If you're happy on Windows then good on you my dude. But I could keep going on for hours.
All those system D ridden Jewbuntu/redhat/BLEEDING EDGE Archshit distros are fucking unusable. Give Slackware a shot, or Devuan if you like dealing with apt.
>I got nothing to hide
I have nothing to hide either, but I don't want to promote the government's unconstitutional infringement on my civil liberties, nor do I want to encourage the degradation of the civil liberties of other fellow Americans.

I did 5 months ago. I tried to install Linux before but I always came crawling back to Windows. This time I haven't booted back into Windows yet. Feels good. I wanted a system that didn't come with any thing preinstalled apart from the bare essentials with a nice DE. KDE neon fit the bill.

>If you know your way around
If you know your away around a search engine that is.

switched to debian 8 a few months ago

I miss that start menu. Not a fan of the current one.

>I wanted a system that didn't come with any thing preinstalled

>Linux is user friendly
>its just picky when choosing friends
First and only rule you need to learn.

I tried to join some mp4s the other day for a friend and I literally downloaded and tried all of the "best" video editing software available

Kdenlive, open shot, videocut or whatever the fuck, something starting with C.... basically all of them I found in the best software lists

every single one of them was a huge piece of shit. All Linux apps are just shit, I get it... "they are free if you dotn like it make your own"

the UI looks like shit on pretty much every linux app ever made to go along with how shit the software is I guess.

yes it's more stable than Windows, but that's completely pointless when it's near next to useless for pretty much everything you want a fast computer for in the first place

>"best" video editing software
There is no such thing as best in any part of any linux system.

Video editing software is one of the only areas in GNU/Linux that software is lacking, and this is coming from someone who's done lots of pro video editing. The rest of this post is bait or underageb&.

Just grab your start menu and resize it like you would a normal window, it should look like that if you make it as thin as it can go

>It doesn't force a restart

it forces one "after hours" all the fucken time, and you can only move when "after hours" are you can't tick a box that says fuck you i dont want you to forcibly reboot my machine

even if you make changes to the registry to stop it the next time windows does an update and you reboot it changes it and you're back to where you started anyway

I use Classic Start and that's Ok, the start menu is still completely fucked though. How can they take something so basic and completely fuck it up I will never know

>hi im cortana

fuck off, I dont want to use you

>disable cortana

why the fuck is cortana in my task manager 3 fucking times running in the background!!

you cant even uninstall all of that useless shit

Why go through that when you can just install neon and don't have to fumble around something like that to remove things that you don't want?

>Kdenlive
It works fine here. As for the UI, I run a qt DE so it matches my system theme (breeze-dark).

Cortana was the main reason we switched to linux.
Bloody obvious spying.

>Video editing software is one of the only areas in GNU/Linux that software is lacking
and in graphic design area...and in sound editing area...and in every other area that is connected to content creation.

it was shotcut I was using in the end, was the only one that would let me export an mp4 without just closing itself down mid way through.

In the settings menus, half the text is bold and half the text is normal. What dumb cunt thought that was a good idea when designing it.

none of that was bait, unfortunately, I truly fucking despise pretty much 95% of software on Linux systems because it looks like shit, runs like shit or simply doesn't do the shit it's meant to do

Not since 1607 unfortunately, they actually reorganized shit. It's the one thing about the start menu that makes me unnecessarily mad. They had a good thing and ruined it.
You can still set it so that it shows the app list, but I like that version posted (from 1511) much better, have access to most used programs, folders, and an app list if needed.

>Why go through that
Honestly because I don't want to use a hobby OS.

>he restricts himself to one operating system

i installed ubuntu gnome a few months ago. had to get rid of windows 10. it was getting slower and slower the more i used it. The creators update really bogged it down even more.

I think my problem now is there is no OS I'm actually happy with. So I just keep changing back and forth after getting completely fed up with the one i'm currently using.

do this every month or two for a few years. It's kinda annoying.

That sucks, I actually really liked that design. Felt like a good continued evolution of the start menu.

I did for about a week but I like things that just werk without having to spend hours autistically searching forums for answers to things that would take 30 seconds to do on macOS

I've done work in audio tech and grpahic design with GNU/Linux just fine. Just because you can't break free from Photoshit doesn't mean that other people can't be productive without it.

I did until my motherboard began to fuck up.

I think it also damaged another computer.
That said, when it wasn't breaking my computer I was quite impressed.
Even if it was Mint.

I want to but i just cant justify it.

Most of the software i use is only windows based and the ones that arent usually have performance drops or other issues.

I also cant for the life of me get graphical instalation interfaces to work properly on linux, so 9/10 times i have to do it through console, which i can do but when it comes to my personal life i dont want to have to use the terminal.

I like linux. I like open source. I use linux at work pretty much everyday, and while im nowhere near an expert at it im confortable enough with it.

But i just can't use it in my dayly computer usage.

I found it had a major performance boost.
Like a drastic performance boost.

And what does that extra performance give you? Nowadays modern machines are powerful enough to run W10 without any hiccups so "performance boost" in Linux isn't noticeable.

Not entirely but I use it on my laptop for school. The battery life improved a lot and the fans don't make earrape noises anymore. I still use windows for gaming on desktop

>not using 3 versions of Windows and 3 versions of Linux, dos, and an iOS.
S A D
A
D

Mint is fine until you try and install Chromium via apt and it installs a 6 month old version that wont access any websites because it's too old and needs to be updated. Only to have the Linux Mint developer idiots on the forum say "use another browser, no one is maintaining that anymore for your release"

well funny because it's a LTS, LONG TERM SUPPORT... until you just release another dot release and completely fucking abandon it that is...

I'd say if you're looking to be incredibly pissed off lots of the time and frustrated and to raise your anger levels... yeah sure go ahead install Linux as your only OS.

I switched from Lubuntu to Windows 10, actually. Linux simply couldn't satisfy my needs.

Good choice

I did two weeks ago. Its great. I dual boot Win 7 for games.

I'm just making the backup to do the same with my work laptop, but I'm planing on installing manjaro

You could just use Firefox or Chrome...

This was an old computer.
Like 2010 from a retail store. It was on it's last gasps.

It booted faster, programs opened faster, the computer used much less RAM than it did before.

>Just because you can't break free from Photoshit doesn't mean that other people can't be productive without it.
Ohh, just cut the shit. Adobe got the industry by the balls. I've been working in graphic design for 5 years and not once have seen anyone using anything other than Adobe products (there were some weirdos who used Corel products for vectory stuff but it looks like they dead now). Even if you are willing to spent 3x more time on the same work by using inferior software - nobody else is and in this field compability of source files is very important.

>Even if you are willing to spent 3x more time on the same work by using inferior software - nobody else is and in this field compability of source files is very important.
KRITA and GIMP export to industry formats just fine. I've never had a client complain.
Also on the Windows side Corel > Adobeshit.

infidel. you should bow down to the almighty GIMP....

if you like being enraged and furious that the thing is literally the biggest piece of shit. MS Paint is better to use and easier.

cant even draw a circle in gimp

Yes. Posting this from a Windows 10 WM.

>I have nothing to hide
>"Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say"

Me

You are either lying or working with very simple files.
On the left the way how psd file should look like (minus background) on the right the way how it looks in the latest Krita version (downloaded an appimage from site). Can't show GIMP because it just gave up.

I did. Full Linux Switch (NAS, Laptop, MainPC)
Wangblows only exists in a VM with a bridge connection to a firewall which allows almost nothing.
It was not THAT hard.

>Wangblows

you missed your chance to call them Micro$oft

so edgy

Yep. Opening Adobe files (.psd, .ai, etc) with GIMP or Krita without losing most of layers from the file is impossible. But it musn't stop you from using ethical software. Just don't work with people who use Adobe.
Also, is this fucking WinXP?

Windows can't open appimage. It's Debian with Xfce.

>you musn't be stopped by software that prevents you from doing your job, you should just find other jobs
the mind of a freetard is a magical thing

It became a habit as soon as i started working with IT-Professionals. "Winschrott" (german), Wangblows, Winshit, Electronic Jew, Microshill/shit. you name it.

Used it to mooch on wifi. But not for daily

>But it musn't stop you from using ethical software. Just don't work with people who use Adobe.
When will freetards realize that the most important thing while working with computers is getting the fucking job done properly? If I had a job to do and the only option was to use software made by Nazis, I'd use it without a second thought.

manjaro works great, been using it for a few month's now, and having the AUR is great too

switched in 2008

I'm assumingly largely because they've never had a job. Meanwhile, those who utilize linux and have jobs regularly go on to say they just use whatever accomplishes the job. Hence them loving macos.

>If I had a job to do and the only option was to use software made by Nazis, I'd use it without a second thought.

>>It is easy to grasp.
>Yeah, well... no.
>Unless you are on anything other than RedHat/Fedora/Debian stable in which case every update always breaks something
Confirmed for never having installed linux. You read blogs by pajeet.

he was talking about export, not import. But Krita and GIMP are still unusable for professional work, though.

>If you know your way around, certainly.
Literally does not know how to use Google.

i did 1 month ago, I love it

going dual boot LTSB/Linux and trying to not have to boot the former.

>Mint
Just use Ubuntu. The Mint devs are extremely incompetent and retarded, the distro itself adds next to nothing over ubuntu, I don't know why it gets shilled so much as a distro for beginners.