youtube.com/watch?v=2tpyV1tjwQM
youtube.com/watch?v=jwfuURAVBwY
youtube.com/watch?v=fFvpzkuFUmQ

What say you, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1M1VsyBisJu
vocaroo.com/i/s1gZvtcdBEX7
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nobody here thinks we don't have an accent.
t. Minnesota

>the blue line touches the northern tip of my county
phew, made it.
People laugh when I say water though. The idiots think I say "WODER" when I clearly say "WHA-TER"

I'm from South East Michigan myself. Definitely some folks around here who're convinced we're somehow accent-less or otherwise the quintessential "generic American" accent. Only others I know of to have this delusion were some Arizonans I met once.

Anyhow, having been out of state and told I had a very pain and obvious Midwest accent, I know I have one, but I couldn't for the life of me describe just what it entails. These videos are actually somewhat helpful in that respect, so thanks, although they seem to have a more pronounced accent than anybody I know. Are these folks all from like Wisconsin or something?

Rochester, Grand Rapids and Chicago.

To me as a foreigner that's the easiest accent to understand.

I live on the green dot and I've been to the USA many times, every time I do go people instantly know i'm canadian when i speak at any time. People in Michigan and northwestern Ohio have these thick midwest/southern kinda sounding accents

I've talked to a few Buffalo NY natives and they sound canadian

Southern New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Minnesota, Wisconsin have HUGE accents.

Also, southern Michigan has a very noticeable Midwestern drawl

It was hilarious hearing Michiganers pronounce "Hamtramck" when I was visiting there.

I'm from Chicago, and I personally have an unholy combination of a Chicago accent and a southern accent.

As for where the quintessential American accent (as there's no such thing as "no accent") is based, I'd think it be around southern Iowa or eastern Nebraska.

"General American" isn't really an accent with a solid definition.

The term can essentially refer to any Northern or Western accent that's slow, easy to understand, and doesn't have too much of a "twang"

>st. louis
>accent

nigger you what

yooper accent best accent desu

I want a qt Minnesota gf to go to early morning football games with while wearing hoodies

Is this a good description of the shift for non-Northerners?

trap>trep
kit>kett
dress>dr*ss [* = About]
strut > strot
thought > thaught
cot > caht

>trap>trep
We (Chicagoans) tend to front our vowels, like
>I walked to the stahk mahrket today
IDK about the rest of the area, though.

>kit>kett
The pin-pen merger is only really in the south

>dress>dr*ss
?

>stut>strot
Not in Chicago, see above

>thought>thaught
We do have quite a bit of the cot-caught merger, but for me personally there's a slight subtle difference.

>cot>caht
Yes, see above.

>?
* = schwa, the first vowel from About.

Also, thanks. I'm trying to understand the whole shift.

Basically Southerners
The only people who don't have accents are us Iowans

I'm from Northern Illinois.

vocaroo.com/i/s1M1VsyBisJu

I used different words to illustrate those vowel sounds, because some seem to bring out my accent more than others.

>Bag
>Milk
>Twenty
>Butter
>Awning
>Dot-com

Here is me trying to pronounce those same words "properly"

vocaroo.com/i/s1gZvtcdBEX7

You can tell this is thoughtfully made because of the peninsula extending to St Louis

That's Route 66.

I was born in Michigan and still live here but I worked on my accent and it sounds alot different than most people.

Basically I took out all the harsh sounds and made them more quick and light

Example the long r and the over pronunciation