/pcbg/ PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1400 - If you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use, not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Good fucking luck even getting a VEGA right now

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM, 3200 MHz is ideal

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113415
m.newegg.com/products/N82E16833704133
pcpartpicker.com/user/nightlyskill/saved/J2VYrH
pcpartpicker.com/user/nightlyskill/saved/scbjcf
pcpartpicker.com/list/sc4DYr
amazon.com/dp/B01JMELYJA
youtube.com/watch?v=3Tl1HphYv9A
pcpartpicker.com/list/wQt69W
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Last hurrah for Vishera, if you can't/won't get all new hardware for Ryzen:
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113415

an i3-6100 on a h110 or b150 with 2133, is the same price as a g4560 on a b250 with 2400. Doesn't really matter as it looks like you will need a 300 series board for 8th gen. and 1151 v1 is dead. No wonder there was no h210

What's the best WiFi dongle/card/whatever if my router is on the lower floor and I'm on the upper floor? This is what I've been seeing get recommended but is the reception solid?

m.newegg.com/products/N82E16833704133

It's the one I see recommended most
I have PCI (non-e) cards from TP-Link in both of my computers and the signal is glorious, so take that for what you will

Windows 10 keeps showing me automatic repair i thought it would just boot up and all i had to do was install better drivers

Lads, I need help.
I built my PC today and all went dandy and everything is working fine.

So I wanted to go on the Internet and do I bought an ethernet cable. Except it can't connect. I've tried most solutions that I saw on the Web. Changing its speed and duplex, reinstalling the drivers, etc. Nothing works. Any ideas? I would appreciate it.

did you set it to boot from the SSD after installing it or did you set it to boot from the USB? Either way, go into the bios and check the boot priority

Have you tried narrow band instead of buying a new card?

I didn't do anything to boot priority and i didnt plug my windows usb I understand I don't have to unless reinstalling I only have 2 HDDs should I change them up in boot order?

What's a good mining build?

change boot priority to the HDD you installed to, then remove the USB.

change priority to the floppy disk drive

Have any of you with the Ryzen 5 1600 gotten your RAM at or over 3200MHz? If so, what motherboard do you have because I want to buy a better one.

>over 3200MHz
samsung b-die only

Should I get the Ryzen 1700 or intel 7700k kaby lake ? Want it purely for gaming at 1440p and some 4k and maybe streaming time to time. I dont do video editing or any thing of the sort. I Also wanna run 2 monitors or maybe 3. Should I just get the 7700k for 1440p and 4k gaming? 1700- 300$ 7700k-330$

pcpartpicker.com/user/nightlyskill/saved/J2VYrH
pcpartpicker.com/user/nightlyskill/saved/scbjcf

The hdd with windows on it is the first option ,I don't understand

Get the 1700 or the 1700x.

so remove the USB stick with the windows installer, and restart

It was never in the pc

3 old gpus I found hidden in my hardware closet

Fellas, you gotta help me.

what series ?
Middle left seems a 6700 series.

eah5770 cucore/g/2di/1gd5
However this one is made in china and whoever assembled it havn't built a pc so the fans block the PCIE lanes on 99% of the setups

Is outletPC a good website? What about suberbiiz?

What's the best PCI 3.0 raid controller card that can run at least 8 sata drives (i.e. 2+ SAS ports) full speed?

Did your motherboard or network controller work before?

Dude, I just built the pc today.

Go to your local shop or a friend and test your mobo there first.

Fuck it I'm reinstalling windows

Make damn sure it's plugged in in every possible place.
If that doesn't work you may have to reinstall windows or something.

I could do that.
My local shop is around 50 miles away. And my friend is around 100 miles away. So, I doubt I can do anything about that.

On a side note, if the ethernet doesn't work, can a WiFi card or adapter work instead?

Get a netgear one. I have a dual band ac usb 3 one. I love it and it doesnt take up pcie lanes

If your computer isn't accepting ethernet specifically, yes.
If your computer isn't acfepting internet, probably not.

probably

I really don't wanna buy a new mobo, but it might just come down to it..

I'm starting to regret this a little bit

Why?

my build is coming along, any advice on cable management when I get to working on that?

I don't even have a 1440p/4k monitor or VR device
ti seems like overkill for now

Use zip ties for close cables, try to keep your cables out of the way, mostly.
As long as you don't have a mess of cables thermal performance will be pretty much the same past a certain point.

i bought the msi gaming x one and i dont regret it at all. i've heard the rog strix is really good too. i regretted it before it came, but it's amazing. i'm playing on a £1200 4K tv though, which just makes it seem extra worth it

hearthstone and final fantasy 9 look amazing

Cancel the shipment, then.
Keep whatever you have or get a 1070.

Looking for recommendations on computer chairs. I'm thinking about getting a memeracer chair. I've sat in one and they seem really sturdy. I'd like something I can lean back in and it's not going to fall apart after a year.

This stuff really comes down to preference. If you test a chair and you like it, go for it.

Finished that painting. It sucks, and I have no chance of winning, but at least I finished something. It was either that or sulk about it after I totally fucked up the first one. Better to get something done and have it be mediocre than to accept defeat and get nothing done.

Now, back to working on the build directly. Video card prices suck.

>not "sitting" on the chair backwards with your arms over the back

Well, kudos dude. Just reinstalled Windows and I can connect to the Internet no bother. Problem is that I can't activate it for free. Oh well.

got it running 3200 @ 16-16-16-39, didn't bother to push more. Mobo is Anus b350-f gayming, RAM is g.skill trident z 3200@15 (samsung b-die chips)

So, my GTX 1080 MSI Aero has had heating issues, (from what I know, this model is infamous for it) and I'd like to get a solid cooling system. I don't know what's compatible, what's recommended, or anything. When I run something like, PlayerUnknown, I can get up to 93 degrees, when idle it's at a steady 58 degrees. I've had it throttle on me one time while playing, so I've had enough.

I don't know much about computer parts, but from what I can tell, I don't think I have room for another fan in my case? I assume I'll just replace the one I have now I suppose. I got two pictures to show you what I have room for. I don't really have much of a budget, just not something over $150 I think is ideal.

Also, I don't believe it has anything to do with the thermal paste on the card itself, or dust around the fans. I tried a custom fan curve as well and it doesn't result it much of a change.

I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks.

1/2

2/2

Is 1440p 144Hz achievable through integrated graphics (Intel HD Graphics 630) in desktop use? I don't play games or shit like that.

why do you need 144hz if you don't play games

You can fit two 120s/140s in the front a possibly some on the top. Probably wouldn't make much of a difference though, the sweet spot is 2 in the front and 1 in the back.
Why do you think it's not the thermal paste? Have you looked? If not, maybe you should.

To enjoy a really pretty display

I didn't mean you could fit two 120s or two 140s in the front, I meant that you could fit either two 120s or two 140s. I can't tell the difference between 120mm & 140mm.

How the fuck can bios update itself and check if it's up to date but windows says I don't have internet connection?

I haven't checked. I'm basing that comment about thermal paste specifically on reviews and other boards I've read about this card in particular. I mean, I guess I can replace it, but regardless I'd still like a new cooling system. Two Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan would be ideal?

Is glass an appropriate surface for static sensitive parts?

Check the sessions on your hardware firewall

What should I upgrade? I'm thinking of getting another 8GB of RAM, and I've heard that my CPU is a little overkill, but I don't know by how much. I could try and overclock, it's just that I've never done it and a lot of people say the cooler I have (212 EVO) isn't good for OCing.

That's a CPU cooler.

no, you fool
just use a table

yes glass is great insulator... look outside at the green blobs at the top of power poles

ehh, thought they might be able to do the same thing for GPU's..
EK-Vardar EVO 140S are good?

What case do you have?

>Check Craigslist
>600T for $40
>Realize I had the range set to 50 miles
Well, fuck.

pcpartpicker.com/list/sc4DYr
Got some parts from a friend.
Any reccomendations for a PSU and case?

>tfw broke one of the push pins on my cooler

Whoever designed this shit needs to burn

I posted these two:
I don't know the name of the case at the moment.

That's what you get for buying Intel coolers. "Battle-tested" quality

Well unless you wanna take a dice roll your out of luck.

If you do, buy one of these: amazon.com/dp/B01JMELYJA
And make sure your Mobo has a 4 pin header available.

Why are you buying Windows 10?
That Mobo isn't worth being free. Just buy a cheapo Asus/Msi/Gigabyte one.
Get an EVGA / Seasonic PSU (If you get EVGA don't get their NEX lineup)

>R3 1400 - If you need multithreading
But it's not an R3

Can you explain a bit?
Thanks for the power supply advice though.

Bad Driver support, bad customer service, Asrock boards are usually not worth the money. But I can vouch for Gigabyte & ASUS, I prefer them over the Extreme6 I used. I don't like Asrock's BIOS either.

Waiting for Zen 2. Fuck the moar cores / less IPC memes.

Dropping tomorrow everyone, 6PM EST sharp
google patch dynamics for my site

Also I have come to the realization of just how small this stickie is, at 3" length. Especially after putting one on my desktop. They're perfect for a laptop or smaller devices but if you plan on getting this for your PC build you should know that when I restock these I will be making them bigger, probably 4" long, maybe 4.5".

Pic related, credit card for size ref, still amazed by how details got in and the text still being eligible.

i definitely was struggling with this decision recently. decided to get a 1080 instead because i know when volta releases i would have regretted investing $700 into pascal.
$460 for a 1080 + at worst a $120 waterblock to cool it if it's too hot wont make me feel bad once volta is out. in comparison i think a 1080 TI + block would cost like >$750, at best.

Will buy, Can't wait to put it on my PC. Do you ship internationally or just USA?

I didn't realize they were holographic. Sweet. Can't wait.

USA is international for me- but no worries only 1 buck shipping. However I would honestly recommend the bubblemailer for these stickies because the mail sorting machines are fucking evil and can wreck your stickie. It's a buck extra but it's a good investment.

price is how much per stickie? not including shipping

Okay, I'll do that. Thanks!

Customs cucks hit me with 40 dollars in fees, have to bump it to 4 bucks.
Fuck UPS

It's only 4 dollars? You're being robbed. I'll buy two.

I'll buy one and put it on my macbook

youtube.com/watch?v=3Tl1HphYv9A
Thoughts?

>a fucking leaf

Almost got me

>macbook

Don't worry, I'm not a natural born

Cheapest way to get windows 10 legit?

If there's a chink site that gives a license legit I'm up for hearing it, otherwise will just get the cheapest ($80 currently on amazon) I know of so far.

What kind of sales can one expect on cyber monday/black friday? I'm looking to build a new rig but unsure if I should wait. I'm wondering is stuff like ram stick and cpu's will see a significant discount

Allkeyshop
Kinguin
Ebay

Sales on monitors, accessories and harddrives. Everything else will get very minor discounts or none.

Not that guy but I was gonna upgrade my ram and get an SSD on black friday, will I be getting a good discount?

All the tables are full, though

RAM no.
SSD yes.

Fair enough

pcpartpicker.com/list/wQt69W
gonna wait a while before buying a better gpu. already have the 1050 in my current machine